YesNoOk

Mugen is now 20 years old (Read 362839 times)

Started by Amidweiz, July 17, 2019, 08:00:34 am
Share this topic:
Re: Mugen is now 20 years old
#61  August 08, 2019, 11:40:56 pm
  • Original characters are my forte.
    • http://network.mugenguild.com/bane84/
I started with MUGEN wayyyy back in 2000-2001 when I downloaded some DBZ character compilation.  Then I realized that the engine could be used to create your own characters and stages.  I joined the now defunct Mugen DEV forum and went from there.

Some names that stuck out in my mind from back then:
  • Cadicle (Helped me with my first character)
  • XGargoyle
  • Samanosuke of the Saito Clan
  • ShinRyoga
  • Kazmer13
  • N64Mario
  • Kung Fu Man
  • Richard Lockard (inspired me to start with digitized characters)
#62  August 08, 2019, 11:52:27 pm
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
    • https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/8108265
 It's somewhat staggering to think that I spent most of MUGEN's lifetime as a lurker who merely observed the game engine through YouTube videos and MUGEN forums as far back as 2006. I didn't even get into MUGEN until January of last year where I finally convinced myself that maybe the engine is worth getting into and it turned out that was the perfect time to get into it given there was so much excess hostility back in the day that I was literally too afraid to get into MUGEN lest I get ostracized on the spot simply for personal decisions. That's basically me watching MUGEN grow for nearly a whopping 12 years.

With that said, being so long ago, it's somewhat hard to pinpoint exactly what influenced me to get into MUGEN, although I can say one of the biggest factors was me being a frequent viewer of MugenWatcher's videos as well as being close friends with people who are already into the engine even before getting into the engine myself such as Alchemist of Atlas, Thentavius and the aforementioned Mugenwatcher.

I think the other reason why it took me so long to actually get into MUGEN is that I'm generally a shy person, so, it takes a while for me to open up.

Anyway, MUGEN's 20 years have sure been a wild ride and I hope it keeps on delivering.
#63  August 09, 2019, 12:30:52 am
    • France
    • duracelleurxmugen.blogspot.fr/
#64  August 09, 2019, 01:16:58 pm
I was there in the early days...
https://duracelleurxmugen.blogspot.com/2015/02/back-to-future-2001-oldschool.html
And still here today.
lol, I remember your Last Samurai Battle, I kept on searching for it for like weeks in year 2003 like crazy :laugh: and eventually found it at last in year 2008 from somewhere  :catgoi: I remember visiting your Last Samurai Battle mini site almost everytime whenever I logged into my computer to admire the screenshots of this epic dream match :truestory: I tried mimic the roster at that time, but it didn't went very well because of offline characters which was difficult to request and find

when will this personal crises ends? it just won't stop!
Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 05:53:22 am by tehdevil
#65  August 09, 2019, 06:40:06 pm
#66  August 09, 2019, 07:09:19 pm
#67  August 09, 2019, 08:30:15 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I thought that's just Balthazar!

Oh, uhhhh, I found MUGEN Fighters Guild and MUGEN back in 2001 before it had a forum and just had the shoutbox. I was yahooing Darkstalkers stuff. My first introduction into it was telling everyone I wanted to make a DS vs SF game and getting told to never ever use anything anyone else made to do so.

18 years later, never made a single DS char but at least I helped others make MANY!

Somehow got roped into making dragon ball stuff while not being a huge fan of DB itself :P

But hey, it's pretty fun making their direction and such.
#68  August 09, 2019, 10:50:42 pm
#69  August 16, 2019, 06:48:41 pm
  • Hey four stars, whatever that means
    • Canada
    • amidweiz.neocities.org
Considering that everyone else is posting their experience with mugen, I might as well tell mine since I started this thread.

From what I can remember my first experience with mugen, I wasn't seeking out for the engine specificly but rather seeking out a question to entertain myself with on YouTube back in around 2007, 2008, maybe 2009.

"Homer Simpson Vs Peter Griffin"

As mundane as that question is, it was the gateway drug that led me to being in this community albeit rather slowly. I have only the vaguest recollection upon what street fighter or any fighting game for that manner was so seeing warner's homer and peter dukeing it out in the fighting game format amazed my younger self. I'm not sure what video specifically I watched back then but I can safely assume it was this one.

After this I was curious upon what this mugen thing was so I looked at the suggestions for other videos upon mugen. Around 2009, 2010 is when I found some of Arpa's old videos which he did remove for pretty obvious reasons, unfortunate there isn't much examples left on the web showcasing this other than one. (AshramVIII's mugen channel seems to be deleted or the second part of the brothers of destruction video would be here too)

This after awhile led to me finding the Broken ass mugen tournament channel around 2011, which then led to me making an account on the forum, making my version upon said tournament (which I disown) and the rest is history.

lui

#70  August 28, 2019, 06:59:24 am
    • USA
My first introduction into it was telling everyone I wanted to make a DS vs SF game

18 years later, never made a single DS char but at least I helped others make MANY!

I'm still waiting bro >: [
#71  August 30, 2019, 02:12:35 am
  • The Lord of Vampire
  • Member of the Reign of Kreation
    • Brazil
    • guiaugusto20@hotmail.com
    • Skype - guiaugusto20
My first introduction into it was telling everyone I wanted to make a DS vs SF game and getting told to never ever use anything anyone else made to do so.

Me too. :P
#72  September 02, 2019, 08:30:12 pm
  • Mugen museum creator
  • former mod here :p
    • Belgium
    • fanaticmugen.free.fr/
#73  September 03, 2019, 03:44:53 am
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
Whoa, all telling their stories about how you started on this and I just put a simple happy birthday!! Shame on me :embarrassed:

I meet MUGEN for first time in 2000 thanks to Spanish gaming magazines that I read on high school (one of the fads of the time) and in one of them a guy called Clarens (the "Rugal guy" for the creators of that time) had a section in one of them showing what MUGEN is. And I got fascinated since then, it was like "creating/ensembling a videogame by myself". When the internet came here by 2002, I got more info about this and downloaded it and started on it, and I liked it. But then I wonder... why so many SF and KOF chars? Where are the classic ones, like from Power Instinct, World Heroes and such? Instead of waiting eternally, what if I make them by myself?

So I discovered creators who made classic and obscure chars like Lord Sinistro, Adamskie and O Ilusionista, they were my inspiration then. So I learned how to code thanks to Juan Carlos' (and few time later Inverse's) MUGEN tutorials, the few ones translated to Spanish then, and I jumped into the pool with Reiji Oyama from the first Power Instinct in 2003, my first finished character (I got plenty of WIPs then but that was the first done). The rest is history... Oh, and I also I became a spriter, CVS Gai Tendou and Eric saw the light few years later, even when they were WIPs from the same time than Reiji, I usually focused more in coding than spriting, but I make it from time in time (Scott Pilgrim says hello :P)

And that's how I started on MUGEN basically. I hope you liked my story ;P

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#74  January 23, 2020, 02:18:53 am
  • Secrets are just answers to the wrong questions...
  • www.newagemugen.com
    • Greece
    • sakchak322@hotmail.com
    • www.newagemugen.com
For me, it was a random mpeg file in 2002 on a fighting game combo compilation video i downloaded off an old website called akumacombos.com.

Somewhere in the video, it showed a mvc sprite shin Akuma with crazy effects fighting against juggernaught on the guilty gear forest stage, then evil ken fighting a kof rugal also with mad effects on another guilty gear rainy street stage.

I had to know wtf i was watching... and down the rabbit hole i went.....
#75  January 23, 2020, 06:19:25 pm
  • Skateboard Game Enthusiast
  • Slowly but surely!
    • USA
    • joeythetricky.wixsite.com/mugen
It was around the REALLY early days for me (perhaps between '08-'10?) when I started watching YouTube Videos, just in general. I was watching things like "Sonic Shorts Volume 2" or that Family Guy parody "Can't Touch Me" being played on a DDR-style PC game.

Then I came across most normal MUGEN-style videos at the time, things like Sonic & Yoshi fighting Spongebob & Super Mario with the classic E.v.E. screenpack and things similar to it. I was just like "wow, this is such an interesting thing! I bet it must be pretty hard to find a game like this!".

If you told that little version of me that he'd wear glasses, have actual friends and start becoming a game designer by working on the games those vids ran on with that same engine, he wouldn't have believed a single word.

Low and behold, here I am starting work on all these different projects using a 20-year old engine with friends I'd never think of having to pursue my dream job.

If I do somehow pull through with it all and become a full-on successful game designer, my heart goes out to Elecbyte for creating what could be the beginning of my future career. :D
#76  January 24, 2020, 01:41:50 am
  • I am hilarious
  • and you will quote everything I say
    • USA
YOU MAY BE WONDERING HOW I GOT HERE

Well, I forget just what I was looking for on YT, but I landed on a Sub-Zero and Scorpion vs Nightmare SSJ video and then later a ??? and Shao Kahn vs ??? and Team Nicktoons (I forgot half the video) both done in Mugen. Kind of said whatever and moved on, in probably January 2007. March 2007 rolls around, I remember Mugen is a thing and then I end up downloading it.

August 2007 was when I stumbled on MI after dumb me would look around Mugen Depot without realizing it was a shitty warehouse for a couple months and stopped doing roster videos (no I will not reupload those to YT because I will get struck in the head with the copyright bat, since one used Ozzy's See You On the Other Side and another used Slayer's Seasons In the Abyss, while the other two used random VG music). I refused to come to Guild until October 2007 due to the rulechange (it was about two months I think). Looking back, I was being really petty and resistant to change.

Also 2008 to an extent, and especially 2009 was when I turned into my infamous trolly asshole persona which is a persona I honestly regret having. Caused so much unnecessary crap. I wanna say I finally began shedding that in 2013.

Weird to think it's been almost 13 years now!
Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 01:45:52 am by Orochi Gill
#77  February 25, 2020, 05:26:04 pm
  • SNK is life
I'm late to this party, but 20 years of MUGEN are definitely something to celebrate.

I got started on RANMA characters, moved on to Ironmugen characters, then to all KOF Characters. Made many friends along the way, and fell deeply in love with SNK ever since. It's been a great excercise for creativity, I love it.
#78  February 27, 2020, 02:18:17 am
Well, when I first discovered Mugen, My brother downloaded a DBZ compilation which he thought was an actually DBZ game then he started looking deep into it and found out that it was fighting game engine. so we basically just made our separate mugens with different characters. It was pretty awesome especially finding out about F1 and among other things. Plus I love crossovers.

I'm not gonna lie although people didn't like this era of Mugen when Mugen was popular on youtube due to stuff. It was definitely the most fun I had with Mugen since it was just so fun to see what other people build is like.

It's good to see it still around because I really do have fond memories and I always get nostalgic even though I don't really play much of it no more.

Mugen Is something that I will always cherish.
#79  February 27, 2020, 03:28:49 am
  • Raging Fist
I remember back in my high school days I watched vids on youtube on Mugen being amazed that something like a "Everything vs Everything" sort of game even existed! Being a fan of fighting games I used to be a lurker around Mugen Infantry and a few other places before finally decided to be a part of the community. I started with MFG, then MFFA and broadened my horizons until I was with the Phantom Gs, Newage Mugen, etc, even tried out some cool shit as a palette maker before learning the basics of stage design by none other than Exshadow himself. In a way I am still glad I have this as a hobby and it's still going strong, and I seriously have strong hopes for IKEMEN GO to become a good successor to an otherwise fun as hell game shared with a lot of you awesome peeps out here :). I'm very glad I managed to make some awesome friends around here online because of Mugen too.
#80  March 06, 2020, 03:51:13 am
  • BOOM!
  • I'm a magen dade who knows how to code somewhat
    • USA
I was quiet but knew of mugen. Lots of the time though all I knew about mugen was that you could do crazy battles with 3 characters simultaneously. I tried out mugen a bit in 2016, loved how I can get whatever character I wanted and make crazy fights. As time went on, I wanted things to be more competitive and make mugen to commercial level but to do that will be a long road especially when elecbyte is dead. IKEMEN will take the throne sooner or later unless elecbyte comes back, although I have a lot of fun with the engine, I still imagine many other possibilities it could've have if it were open source, so I do have a little disappointment for what mugen is today. We always have that glimmer of hope that we can better the engine which was done by many creators, and now that I'm learning the code for mugen and engine learning as a whole, I do want to help with mugen/Ikemen to be commercial level.
That will happen to you if you don't wear your seat belts, so make sure to wear your seat belts.