YesNoOk

What type of Code language are we using in Mugen CNS??? (Read 45718 times)

Started by Generalsteps, June 28, 2021, 08:18:36 pm
Share this topic:
What type of Code language are we using in Mugen CNS???
#1  June 28, 2021, 08:18:36 pm
    • USA
I know this may sound like a silly question, but I am curious. Does learning Mugen Coding have any relation to game programming/game design, and are any of the skills I learn here can be used in Game programming/game design?

I have always wanted to develop games, but never had ability to learn or study it. So far, Mugen has been the one thing that allows me to fulfill one of my dreams. I love creating stuff for Mugen now, but it has made me curious.

Is anything I'm doing and learning here applicable somewhere else? Will better understanding of Mugen Code help me to learn how to program other games?

Or is all of this code and knowledge of it only useful for Mugen specifically?
Re: What type of Code language are we using in Mugen CNS???
#2  June 29, 2021, 12:42:30 am
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net
Mugen uses its own "scripting" language and has no real similarity to another programming language.
However, the fundamentals of how a fighting game works inside (animation frames, hitboxes, projectiles, throws, etc...) are the same in any other language or engine.
XGargoyle: Battle posing since 1979
http://xgargoyle.mgbr.net
http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=e71c0d43fe35093a  <-- Please click that link
http://paypal.me/XGargoyle  <-- Donations welcome!
#3  April 21, 2023, 02:25:49 pm
    • USA
Mugen uses its own "scripting" language and has no real similarity to another programming language.
However, the fundamentals of how a fighting game works inside (animation frames, hitboxes, projectiles, throws, etc...) are the same in any other language or engine.
thank you for the answer, but still - how can I learn writing same kind of code?
#4  April 21, 2023, 02:30:08 pm
    • USA
i know the question is quite dumb, but I will appreciate any answer
sorry :))
#5  April 21, 2023, 03:13:34 pm
  • Objection! Sustained!
    • Russia
    • mitia.pogorelov1@yandex.ru
THIS is your best bet at learning this stuff. What you need are "SCTRL" and "Trigger" types of codes.
#6  April 21, 2023, 03:28:40 pm
  • I dress like your Great Great Grandfather.
Is anything I'm doing and learning here applicable somewhere else? Will better understanding of Mugen Code help me to learn how to program other games?

It's not really helping you in the grand scheme of things. If you really want to get into programming games, you'd do better to learn C++ or another established coding language.

Mugen is more like programming a very specific .ini file (to oversimplify) in a very specific engine. Is there carry over? Sure. But it's not much compared to utilizing other engines say, Unreal Engine, Unity, etc. And it's certainly not going to help you program your own.
Last Edit: April 21, 2023, 03:40:49 pm by Nocturnis
#7  April 23, 2023, 10:57:03 pm
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
AFAIK, MUGEN language is in part based on C++, originally MUGEN was made under this, but later Elecbyte moved to Allegro and other modern coding languages. You can find more info on Wikipedia

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
New #8  April 25, 2023, 02:46:23 pm
    • USA

It's not really helping you in the grand scheme of things. If you really want to get into programming games, you'd do better to learn C++ or another established coding language.

Mugen is more like programming a very specific .ini file (to oversimplify) in a very specific engine. Is there carry over? Sure. But it's not much compared to utilizing other engines say, Unreal Engine, Unity, etc. And it's certainly not going to help you program your own.

ok, I guess i'll start with c++ then. Studying is actually very important, I really feel bad for myself that I've been skipping classes when I was younger. I used to pay for my homework online, essays on any topics, even about supreme court, on websites like studydriver.com/supreme-court/and it actually seemed very fun. I don't regret about that, but I definitely should have studied more
Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 01:38:21 pm by bjorncalton44
#9  April 25, 2023, 05:35:04 pm
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
If learning to code is one of your motivations to play around with Mugen, I recommend that you learn Ikemen's ZSS instead. Either Mugen's CNS or Ikemen's ZSS will teach you how to think, but ZSS is closer to actual coding languages.
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.