YesNoOk

Code-heavy character mirror matches cause multiple glitches. (Read 1366 times)

Started by Kolossoni, February 25, 2021, 04:38:32 am
Share this topic:
Code-heavy character mirror matches cause multiple glitches.
#1  February 25, 2021, 04:38:32 am
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
  • Ambassador of MugenRevival
    • South Korea
    • sites.google.com/view/kolossoni-mugen
It's been an itch I couldn't pinpoint for years now, but I see that whenever a code-heavy character verses his/her own clone, something goes wrong or as unintended.

Helpers disappear.
Explods don't align correctly.
Time triggers activate slower than usual.
Some P2 states fail/freak out.

It's weird.

Is the MUGEN engine itself that can't handle two or more of the same heavily coded characters simultaneously? or is it that the character itself is badly coded?
I don't think it's the latter since everything works fine when he/she is on their own.
Re: Code-heavy character mirror matches cause multiple glitches.
#2  February 25, 2021, 05:20:51 am
  • Non est hoc propter hoc sed propter est hoc
    • USA
    • doubletrend-zeta.neocities.org/
Off the top of my head, the helper issue might be the helpermax being reached, because unlike explods it has a cap at 56.
#3  February 25, 2021, 05:36:09 am
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
    • https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/8108265
 It's very likely a helper/explod overload issue. If helpers and explods still appear, yet you still get lag, then it can be debug flood as well. All my characters I have released so far are very heavy in coding and I can run them just fine even against each other... mind you, I operate on a potato for a rig, so yeah.

Chances are, those characters still allow those helpers and/or explods to linger well after their use and fail to remove them.
#4  February 25, 2021, 07:52:21 am
    • China
    • http://vans.trinitymugen.net/
or is it that the character itself is badly coded?
I don't think it's the latter since everything works fine when he/she is on their own.

Badly coded is the correct term. A helper is essentially a complete clone of the character in terms of memory strain on the engine. If a character is constantly hitting the 56 helper limit, then there is a serious optimization problem.

Lack of proper helper optimizations is common, especially with the advent of faster computers. In winmugen days it was enough to spawn / respawn a set of 2 or 3 helpers in quick succession to slow down the engine on Haswell quad cores (which were top of the line computers at the time). If you wanted your character to not lag the engine, you had to get creative about optimizing the effects you were trying to produce.
#5  February 26, 2021, 06:25:06 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA

Pressing Ctrl+D a few times should let you know if there's a ton of helpers. It'll cycle through all of the helpers that are currently active. So you may want to do just some basic testing.
Go into VS. Select P1 and P2 as the bad character. Press Ctrl+D until it turns back off. It's usually just 3 times to cycle through at the start of the round.
You can press
or ctrl+2
or something like that to activate P2's AI. I cant remember exactly. But Spacebar will refill health, so you can keep both players alive until the lag hits.
You might see debug flood, but cycle through ctrl+d when it's lagged out to see how many helpers are active.
vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv