YesNoOk

Super Smash Bros Ultimate (Read 734168 times)

Started by GTOAkira, March 09, 2018, 12:23:32 am
Share this topic:
Re: Super Smash Bros Ultimate
#1721  September 24, 2019, 04:16:58 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Well.  I will admit, I had not ever considered condensing games of "Oh...Sir!" into special attacks for fighting game characters, but here we are.  But how did you manage that entire character breakdown and not once mention the karate chop?  It obviously must be the mandatory neutral A attack.

That said, something you said did give me an idea once Sakurai and team run out of steam on actual characters.
You can't make a character out of like, a social phenomenon surrounding a game. It'd have to be Bond himself, and that's wouldn't work either!
Well then, in the vein of R.O.B., why not the N64 cartage itself?  Less catchy a name, but Nintendo sure put a lot of faith into that design, just give it the Banjo-Kazooie treatement of a pair of googly eyes.

Then just give it some basic moves referencing important N64 games like Goldeneye, Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, etc.

...I don't know why I'm trying to out-ridiculous you, I apologize.
Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 04:27:05 am by Long John Killer
#1722  September 24, 2019, 05:12:43 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Quips are incredibly vital part of the Bond canon, even in the most serious of them, he'll drop at least one of em! It just wouldn't make sense to give him a moveset that doesn't reflect this!!! :yeses:

But how did you manage that entire character breakdown and not once mention the karate chop?  It obviously must be the mandatory neutral A attack.
Well, obviously! So obvious that I didn't need to mention it, nor did I even think of it!
#1723  October 24, 2019, 12:26:40 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
A Tetris 99 event is coming this week with a bevy of Tetris block spirits, causing some people to actually become upset that Tetris blocks are not being made into playable characters.  Because I guess some people actually wanted that.  For some reason. 
#1724  October 24, 2019, 12:49:12 am
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
People want the character, but cannot think of any realistic way to put them in the game.

"Put Skull Kid in! He could bring the Moon down in his Final Smash!"
"OK, but what else?"
"Uh... He could...bring the...Moon down? IDK, Sakurai will think of something."

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#1725  October 24, 2019, 05:25:26 am
    • Brazil

People want the character, but cannot think of any realistic way to put them in the game.

"Put Skull Kid in! He could bring the Moon down in his Final Smash!"
"OK, but what else?"
"Uh... He could...bring the...Moon down? IDK, Sakurai will think of something."
Its not up to the playerbase to create a moveset for anyone. Like, seriously, Nintendo has already shown that they can create movesets for non-fighters like Villager and Mr. Game & Watch (a character that was created for Smash itself to represent an entire gallery of "games", its literally a bunch of constantly transforming sprites), yet somehow, when it comes to a character with actual powers, and that was seen fighting in another game, its up to the playerbase to create anything? You must be joking. If you cannot imagine a full moveset for the Skull Kid or anyone else, don't worry, you don't have to, there are people who are paid to do that.
#1726  October 24, 2019, 11:49:35 am
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
Nintendo doesn't make the movesets, Sakurai does, as implied by some of his Famitsu columns; yeah he obviously has back-and-forth conversations with the IP holders to make sure the characters are represented in a way they approve of, but it's otherwise one guy coming up with this stuff. Villager was actually excluded from Brawl because Sakurai couldn't think of a way to make the peaceful, non-violent Villager work in Smash's environment, but even to that end, the character we got in Smash 4 has very little that's completely made up, as almost everything he attacks with are tools or belongings from his games, whereas Skull Kid doesn't actually do a whole lot in MM that you could work with without doing what HW did and making an almost entirely new moveset based around dark magic and trickery, which seems more effort than its worth and is likely why he was relegated to an Assist Trophy yet again.

Mr. Game & Watch serves as an homage to the Game and Watch, so he's got an entire game library to pull from; hardly having to come up with something completely original, is it?

Point is, they're more likely to put someone in the game if there's something they can work with, especially if it's a 3rd party character; making up a couple of moves or taking creative liberties is completely different from thinking up an entirely new moveset from scratch, so no, none of the FNAF protagonists are getting in :P

#1727  October 24, 2019, 12:11:37 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Just to provide a counterpoint, if they could do it with Captain Falcon and Fox, I think they're still capable of coming up with some entirely new movesets. I mostly agree with you that its more trouble than its worth but its not unheard of.
#1728  October 24, 2019, 01:31:55 pm
  • Total Annihilation
    • UK
Just to provide a counterpoint, if they could do it with Captain Falcon...
A lot of Captain Falcon's moveset is carried over from Dragon King, the game Smash Bros. was going to be before it became...well, Smash Bros; after all, I doubt Sakurai would have wanted the time spent on developing Dragon King to go completely down the plughole, so he probably took what existing assets they had and applied them to one of Nintendo's human(oid) characters, which could mean that both Fox and Samus also take assets from it.

One thing I've noticed with Ultimate is that Sakurai hasn't been as inventive with movesets compared to previous Smash games, because there's a lot of re-used Normals flying around (particularly amongst the DLC characters) and even a few of the unique moves seem to be inspired by another character or don't exactly diverge too greatly from their source inspiration (a lot of the Belmonts' moves seem to boil down to "throw whip in X direction", which barely differs from source and not exactly diverse), so I wouldn't go expecting any character that has a super unique made-up moveset with this info in mind.
#1729  October 25, 2019, 12:30:22 am
  • Vs Style Debuts Tag Project CEO
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
In one instance, I can safely assume Fox's infinite jabs came from Chun-Li as well as his Fair.
Beware the Dark Wolf once more!
#1730  October 25, 2019, 02:18:11 am
  • Standalone Tester for Famicom Fighters
    • USA
Well... not EVERY move or animation a character has NEEDS to reference something from their original games. If they need to make up something to make the character fit into the game a little more, that's perfectly fine. There's tons of "made up" stuff in Smash since the beginning (Captain Falcon is the most obvious).

Also, there's nothing inherently wrong with wanting a character, but not coming up with a fully detailed moveset. A lot of Smash fans just don't get that for some reason, lol. Like, I want Chell from Portal for example, but I don't really know how the hell they can implement a balanced portal mechanic. I just think it would be neat to see Portal content in Smash, is that really too much to ask? I guess coming up with a moveset "helps your case" when convincing others that your character is worth a damn, but at the end of the day, Sakurai has the final say (even if Nintendo provides him with a list to choose from with the DLC nowadays...). Aside from that one time they held the Ballot, our "cases" don't really mean much in the long run.
#1731  November 02, 2019, 01:31:56 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
The Smash Bros site changed Terry's release to Coming Soon. A private video was uploaded to the Smash YT page. There's a mantainance happening next week.

All signs are pointing to Terry dropping in the middle of next week.
#1732  November 04, 2019, 01:31:08 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Spoiler: Potential leak (click to see content)
#1733  November 04, 2019, 02:28:42 pm
    • Brazil

Spoiler: Potential leak (click to see content)
I don't think I need to put this on spoiler, I hope a mod changes this if they think its necessary, but the thing is, I don't think this supposed leak is an indicator of anything. Just because a character of a franchise is in the game as a Mii costume, doesn't mean another character of the same franchise will be a full fighter DLC. Sans is a proof of that, nobody from Undertale is playable in Smash, yet he is a Mii costume.
#1734  November 04, 2019, 07:43:32 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
Yea, I also fail to see how those costumes mean potential playables. There's been other costumes from series that don't have a playable character.

Besides, of all the wishlists I've heard of, I find Geno to be one of the worst choices of them all.
#1735  November 04, 2019, 08:14:09 pm
  • Some guy with nothing better to do in his life
  • Nothing should exist in MIDI
    • USA
Besides, of all the wishlists I've heard of, I find Geno to be one of the worst choices of them all.
Geno is overrated anyways (Aside from Waluigi who is also pretty much overrated), I pretty much prefer Doom Slayer any day

Don't think...obey
#1736  November 04, 2019, 10:28:30 pm
outfits from franchises or games not represented in smash are their main or most popular character. chibi robo has a chibi robo outfit, undertale has sans, goemon has goemon, golden sun has isaac, panel de pon has lip, murasame castle has takamaru.

what the leak is alluding to is that doom would be better represented by a doomslayer helmet, or that mario rpg would be better represented by geno, but they're not mii outfits because they're playable characters instead.

of course there's the possibility that the leaker just didn't show the geno and doomslayer mii outfits, or that someone figured out how to mod mii outfits in ultimate and decided to do these fakes to fuck with people.
#1737  November 04, 2019, 11:04:07 pm
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
Is that an admission that you've been up to your old tricks, boss
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#1738  November 04, 2019, 11:10:46 pm
:twisted:
#1739  November 05, 2019, 12:50:29 am
  • Still lurks regularly, but posts once a blue moon
    • Canada
Hot damn son
#1740  November 05, 2019, 01:22:12 am
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
It's apparently super difficult to mod Mii costumes past texture edits, so take that as you will.