YesNoOk

The Photoshop pixel art Thread (Read 6753 times)

Started by Tyrannosaurus rex, September 08, 2020, 10:00:39 pm
The Photoshop pixel art Thread
#1  September 08, 2020, 10:00:39 pm
  • I'm a llama!
Hey everyone,
                        I'm starting this thread for the purpose of inviting masters of pixel art and sprite animations to share their tips on Photoshop for other pixel art enthusiasts. I use Photoshop 2017 and just recently downloaded Photoshop 2020 trial version to see if their is any significant difference in capability with tools such as the much awaited rotating brush/pattern feature.

As of now, I don't see anything particularly useful in it, and more over, I see issues that didn't exist in 2017 such as rotating images. I will discuss some of my techniques later down the thread should interest pick up.

Discussion on other useful image editing software like Paint Shop pro and GIMP would also be welcomed here in regards to pixel art sprite work.

Thanks
Re: The Photoshop pixel art Thread
#2  September 09, 2020, 02:47:24 am
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!

There are no secret tips or etc. You can achieve giod results witv MSPaint too.
I swear there was something cool here!!
#3  September 09, 2020, 05:11:35 am
  • Video Game Veteran
  • Can you do it? SUREYOUCAN!
    • USA
    • gcnmario.free.fr
Yea I can use Paint Shop Pro too for my sprite editing. Though there are other free drawing tools to get you started if needed.

You basically just have to keep drawing over time, and get good at it. :)

"You must defeat my flaming
dragon punch to stand a chance."
#4  September 09, 2020, 06:53:10 pm
  • SNK is life
I moved from MS Paint to Graphics Gale. The workflow logic must be similar to that of Photoshop, but Gale is suited specifically for Pixel Art and it's very convenient.

It allows to use Layers, animations, most image formats, and the Keyboard Shortcuts are customizable.
#5  September 09, 2020, 10:56:34 pm
  • Video Game Veteran
  • Can you do it? SUREYOUCAN!
    • USA
    • gcnmario.free.fr
I'm just gonna list a few programs here. While some may NOT be free, they are worth the price.

- MS Paint
- Adobe Photoshop
- Paint Shop Pro
- Graphics Gale
- GIMP
- Aseprite: https://www.aseprite.org/ - Open source, though they want you to pay for it.
- PixilArt: https://www.pixilart.com/ - Online editor
- Piskel: https://www.piskelapp.com/ - Online editor

There's a lot more programs out there for pixel art. Just pick one that you feel comfortable with.

"You must defeat my flaming
dragon punch to stand a chance."

HQ

#6  September 14, 2020, 12:09:05 pm
Been using Photoshop for 10+ years for PixelArt.
There are a lot of tricks, especially in the set up when creating Pixel Art, Designs & Animations.
I still learn new things every now and then.

As with everything however: There are multiple ways to achieve a goal & the tool itself won't make you a better artist.
So limiting Pixel Art by the software that was used to create it, is kinda pointless to me.

It would be wiser to study other creations (such as Metal Slug, SF3, or work of artists you admire), which most likely weren't created in Photoshop (neither Metal Slug nor SF3 were made in PS).