YesNoOk

Guilty Pleasures (Read 3180 times)

Started by Cyborg Sun, February 08, 2018, 04:09:42 am
Share this topic:
Guilty Pleasures
#1  February 08, 2018, 04:09:42 am
  • Standalone Tester for Famicom Fighters
    • USA
Well, you read the title, didn't you? This topic is all about discussing those strange Mugen creations that you know are so bad, but for whatever strange reason you just can't help but love them. I'm not just talking about characters, they can be anything! (stages, screenpacks, fullgames, etc)

I suppose I'll start: One of my big guilty pleasures is DDR's "Saturday Morning Mayhem" fullgame. A lot of us know that the gameplay is littered with bugs and infinites, but everything about the game, from the presentation to the midi soundtrack, just reeks of that early 2000s vibe that I'm so attracted to. That, and the characters themselves are pretty nostalgic...

So, what are your Mugen guilty pleasures?
Re: Guilty Pleasures
#2  February 08, 2018, 04:39:50 am
  • Super Mario Fighters 3 resurrected.
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
Old Mugen compilations.

Generally older ones because they have such strange character choices, and once I put a few better ones in, they can be a lot of fun.

Super Marvel vs. Capcom.

Since it's in fullscreen, it's a fairly surreal experience. It's music isn't the worst, and being able to go through attacks with Ryu's Shaknetsu Hadouken makes it feel different from any other. Until you run into Haggar...

Loads of characters, it's fun to go off the beaten path and use some really goofy, ridiculous characters every now and then.
#3  February 20, 2018, 10:36:32 pm
  • Is a joke
    • USA
    • Genosan94@gmail.com
Here are some M.U.G.E.N-related things I would personally consider a guilty pleasure:

-Etoile Chrono Tokiko by Tokinokuni-Kei/Tokei.  While I won't deny that she is in need of a serious update, I still think she's a generally interesting character nonetheless, even after over 10 years of being attached to her.

-Rage Rock by The_None.  Like what I said about Etoile Chrono Tokiko, he too is in need of some updating.  Despite this, I still consider him to be among The_None's best creations.

-Garionfeld.  While I won't ignore the fact that he was a somewhat controversial YouTuber to some of us MUGENites from back in the day, I personally do think that his older YouTube videos (from what I've seen at the time that I've written this reply) have some charm.
#4  February 21, 2018, 12:11:18 am
  • Vs Style Debuts Tag Project CEO
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
IQ 300 (Dr. Robotnik). Forgot the author. Sure, the coding sucks but getting to shoot up the fighters that aren't guarding till they're down was kind of fun, even if you was KO'd as IQ300 in Simul. Even defeated crazy AI controlled fighters like Evil Ken, Evil Dan etc.
Beware the Dark Wolf once more!
#5  February 23, 2018, 04:13:38 pm
  • Pixels are atom's of resolution,Low-res or Hi-res
    • Turkey
    • metekervan26@gmail.com
Ristars Jump Ultimate Stars game,it was broken but fun
#6  February 28, 2018, 12:53:46 am
  • Idea!
    • USA
Hmm, interesting.

I'd have to say the Broken MUGEN screenpack was as its title suggests: broken, but it was certainly a fun screenpack to mess around in, as was EVE.

Characters: mostly joke based characters are a ton of fun, especially when they're just too well made, like a lot of DrKelexo's characters.  And that one Mecha Barney 3.0, though I cannot remember the author right now.
#7  February 28, 2018, 01:37:29 am
    • USA
Chikuchikugonzales's Senna. I don't know why it gets a lot of hate, but she's fun to play because of easy comboability. I don't like Songfu's version because the source game (Big Bang Beat) in my opinion plays like ass. And I don't like Kohaku's version because the inputs for her specials are reversed.

Some of Tanukida Taichi's characters get hate as well. I hated his Zenryoku (Angry black man who grabs people) at first but warmed up to it because Tanukida's OC characters are mostly hilarious. Especially Sigeru (The muscleman who fights with a talking fish) and Tanuki is a japanese talking raccoon that's a lethal joke character.
New #8  February 28, 2018, 05:17:28 am
  • Super Mario Fighters 3 resurrected.
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
I never knew his characters were generally disliked... I guess I'd better put the couple of his I use in my "loads of characters" statement... Shame, they have some neat voices.

One other strange thing I like doing: I like using Madoldcrow's Kirby and only his Kirby in this case to test how high new stages are. That lousy sound that qualifies as his "floating" sound is too funny, and the way inertia works on this thing is extremely odd.
Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 02:20:11 pm by MR. IBZS II