YesNoOk

Ashley (Remastered) Released! (Read 6815 times)

Started by DS12 Productions, July 11, 2020, 07:02:42 pm
Share this topic:
Ashley (Remastered) Released!
#1  July 11, 2020, 07:02:42 pm
  • DS12's MLG storage full of poyos
    • USA
    • diamondawesomeness.wixsite.com/mugencharsandstages
Yep, the little red rid-I mean wizard, Ashley has once again made her debut in MUGEN, but this time, in a remastered form! Hopefully, this one will, at the very least, replace the old version of her...ugh.

VIDEO:

Hope you'll enjoy! Feedback's appreciated as usual.
I like trains :]
Lol JK, I'm only gonna be stalking here, nothing much to do here anyway.
Re: Ashley (Remastered) Released!
#2  July 11, 2020, 07:21:29 pm
    • USA
#3  July 11, 2020, 07:27:21 pm
  • The Lord of Vampire
  • Member of the Reign of Kreation
    • Brazil
    • guiaugusto20@hotmail.com
    • Skype - guiaugusto20
Oh great! Gotta check her out DS, thanks. ;)
#4  July 13, 2020, 10:54:01 am
    • USA
Hoo boy... where to even begin?

-First and foremost, her attacks are WAY too safe. None of her normals are even - on block. Meaning she can pressure you until the cows come home.

-Her AAA combo seems to end in a low or something? Or she's able to do a low instantly from it. But, the thing is, the animation does NOT indicate it's a low.

-Some hitboxes are a little too good, giving her infinite priority.

-Her specials are also super safe from the right distance.... And about those....

-The Ice and Stuffed Bunny transformations basically give her a free level 3 bar. Due to how fast she gains meter. And onto those.... Not to mention that the Bunny transformation lobs TWO potions. And depending on where they end up. You can get changed twice in a row....

-The Broom ram super is... not very useful? It has a lot of startup, and end lag. But the others.... The double fire one seems near-instantaneous. The Navel Piranha Plant is pretty much a free mixup. Since your opponent is stuck blocking it, oh, and if she used the Stuffed Bunny Transformation or freeze on you before setting it up, it's just unavoidable. The Purple Mist is unblockable, AND steals meter from the opponent, AND covers most of the screen. On stages with no zoom out.... There's no escape.

-The desperation super is also VERY silly.... Get the opponent frozen, and use it. There's basically nothing they can do, but get insta-KO'd.

-There's a bug I found, if you hit with her heavy standing attack, do the broom teleport followup attack, then QUICKLY do QCF.C.... She'll do the double fire pillar in the air, and begin walking in the air.

These are all the major points I wanted to mention, but, there's more that should probably be done, such as her combo damage being reduced.
I'm hoping someone who's more balance savvy can give you feedback too.... Because I'll be honest. A decent Ashley for Mugen is something I've wanted. And if she could be made into a really well-polished character. That would be amazing.

I have ONE nitpicky point I want to add before I'm done.... For some reason, I feel like the laugh at the end of the "I'll be the greatest witch ever" victory pose seems a little OOC? I feel like the laughing could be cut, and it would still work well. Just having her stand there coldly.
#5  July 13, 2020, 07:33:54 pm
    • USA
-Her AAA combo seems to end in a low or something? Or she's able to do a low instantly from it. But, the thing is, the animation does NOT indicate it's a low.

That's funny. I checked the hitdefs just now and the triple combo ends with a high.

-The Purple Mist is unblockable

It IS blockable. Just keep holding the back button. Unless you didn't even try to block it and thus, made up this random excuse that the purple mist is unbalanced

Anyways, I updated Ashley.
V1.1:
-Adjusted frame data for some normals (particularly heavy, on block)
-Reduced end lag for Broomstick Rush
-Adjusted air guard velocity for Naval Piranha plant
-Lowered guard damage for the big vine from the Naval Piranha Plant (forgot to put that in the readme lol)
-Fixed bug where flame pillars can be performed after broom follow up attack
-Ashley now can summon only one potion instead of two (in exchange for damage increase by 30% :P)
-Made the poison cloud size a bit small
-Adjusted posion cloud's position
-Removed debug text from -2

Link (since I'm prohibited to editing posts): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1E_1MyqGSJ6W9AY-3Bc01bppOH8jQeMA1/view?usp=sharing
#6  July 13, 2020, 07:55:51 pm
  • Racing Game Enthusiast
  • Formerly known as SumirekoUsami
    • USA

Just a guy who has a big passion for Racing Games, who happened to stumble upon MUGEN one year...
#7  July 14, 2020, 04:36:42 am
    • USA
Hm.... Looks like some of the issues I addressed weren't solved. Her level 3 being a OHKO that's easy to set up is a big no no in fighting games. Also, I'm not sure how I did it. But the super soft locked the game. The screen didn't transition back to the fight. And it's just stuck on the space view. All the while Shin Gouki is punching the air.

Her normals are still pretty safe. I think the least safe ground normal is -1? Which is still pretty dang safe.

The Navel Piranha super is still WAY too good, but, I think this goes into an underlying issue she has.... Those specials that stop your movement, which by the way, QCB.A, QCF.A sometimes, and QCB.C ALL stun the opponent. Which leads into all sorts of potential problems.... Such as combing into the instakill....

And no, you can't hit her out of it once the animation plays. Heck, even when she's firing the shot into the air you can't hit her out of it. And as Warachia so kindly showed, you can't block the meteor. Once she summons it.... Game over.

Now, for a change of pace.... One thing I think actually might need a buff. Her aerials hit stun. She can't do a jump-in, because by the time she lands, the opponent has recovered from hit stun, and can attack you before you can even move again, thus making her aerials unsafe on hit. One thing you could do in exchange for this, though, is making a height limit on when you can air dash. As to avoid potential instant overhead situations.

Still, there are things I like about this character. But most will likely mention them. It does however need a lot of rebalancing.
#8  July 14, 2020, 06:26:31 pm
  • Come On You Know LGx
  • biblical (yea)
    • USA
    • Skype - eddsworldtrash
    • remixsparta.wix.com/mugensdawn
My friend tested this character in a voice chat on the Guild server, and it made him audibly frustrated for the reasons already stated, plus some others. These issues alone are making me really unwilling to get the character. I'll ask him about detailing the issues he had so I can document them here.
#9  July 14, 2020, 08:34:50 pm
  • Come On You Know LGx
  • biblical (yea)
    • USA
    • Skype - eddsworldtrash
    • remixsparta.wix.com/mugensdawn
Okay, I got a giant list in response.

The readme never stated you had to block in order to perform a parry, making it way harder to parry multi-hits
Guard-cancelling has literally no purpose if it costs meter while also allowing parries.
Weirdly-mapped gameplay mechanics, like power charge being mapped to MK and both throw AND guard-cancel being mapped to HK.
Hitboxes are disjointed, and by a long margin too.
Standing HP knocking down already seemed like a not great idea, but why a wallbang knockdown specifically?
QCB+LP shoots 3 projectiles that do damage? AND stun you for a while? AND DON'T COST METER?
Speaking of specials, I never liked the specials being different with each button press.
In contrast, Dash Attack and Air Drop can be done with different buttons, just with no differences?
Also, dash attack can be far too crazy when it can OTG multiple times because "juggle = 1"
There is no reason for "Potions" to exist as a special. It does damage, puts the enemy in a special state, but you can't hit them out of it?
- (I heard about the new update that increases damage by 30%... why.)
Crouching light, medium and heavy should absolutely not have the same frame data. Even if it got fixed, that's just absurd.
Broom super is far too predictable thanks to how much startup it has.
Sure, the mist super is blockable but it lasts way too long and covers up half a whole 4:3 stage.
Navel Piranha is too good. Guard damage reduction doesn't matter if frame data is absurdly in Ashley's favor.

Now, the two biggest elephants in the room:
The AI, as always, is complete bullshit. Worsened by the aforementioned remarkable frame data. I can barely get hits on Medium 3 AI using perfectly normal characters no matter how hard I try.
One-Hit KO Supers are the worst thing in fighting games ever. They remove all skill required to actually play the game and win a match. Ashley, being no different than any of the other characters, having one was what made me mad.
Take this as you will.
#10  July 15, 2020, 09:12:32 am
    • USA
Okay, after fighting the AI for awhile.... HOLY CRAP her normals are safer than I realized. You flatout can't punish anything on block against her. And the... spin dash...? Yeah, super spammable, and leads into a blockstring.

All of the moves that stop your movement basically either give her a free combo. Or let her get to level 3 meter with little effort. (ESPECIALLY QCB.A.... That move is WAY too good, super fast startup, 3 projectiles making it hard to actually approach Ashley, AND it stuns you long enough that she can get level 3 meter.)

Her dodge roll.... I didn't mention this before, because I didn't try it. But it's SUPER easy to use. Fast, has only like, 1 frame where you can hit her if she spams it. But that's not anywhere near as bad as the fact you straight up can NOT oki her. You knock her down, she either rolls away, or just gets up instantly to attack you before you can even get your oki move out.

I feel like you need to refine her a lot honestly. Her frame data needs reworking, NO STUN ATTACKS, or if she has to have them, make them something very easy to avoid. No instakill, or if you MUST have one, here's an idea. If she does the move, the match timer stops. And a timer at the bottom in the Warioware style appears. You have about 30 seconds to finish her off. (30 might even be too generous for her, because of her insane mobility/stalling ability.... Which, could also be toned down.) Make her air projectiles either usable in the air once, or make her fall more after using one move. And... you know what? Remove the spin dash and homing attack moves. She's not Sonic. She doesn't need those. Her projectiles also need more cool down on them. She's WAY too safe just throwing one outright in your face.

I know I keep posting here. But I just really want to see this character become something really good. Right now, being blunt, she's extremely unbalanced. And there are likely things I still haven't found. I know I'm sounding harsh. But I give feedback to characters I see promise in. She has promise.... Just needs a lot of refinement.