YesNoOk

DC Comics Universe (maybe discussion?) (Read 403880 times)

Started by Edtion, June 05, 2011, 10:00:42 am
Share this topic:
Re: DC Comics Universe (maybe discussion?)
#41  June 08, 2011, 05:49:26 am
    • Edtion.TK
you're starting to piss me off  [end quote]:P

BB was an elseworld story based on the cartoon. It became one of the 52 worlds. You should seriously consider registering on that site. It is alot better than the wikis and it's the next best thing to the actual company since some of the artist or writers come on that site. (very rarely)

The Batman Beyond Cartoon series was way to show their (the creators of the series) idea of what a Batman in the future would be like without using Bruce Wayne as the main character. The show itself was not connected with the comics in any way, and being purely imagination.
The show definitely inspired DC Comic writers to bring Batman Beyond into the comics continuity, just like B:TAS inspired DC Comics to bring Harley Quinn into the continuity.

Just because the universes that these characters originated in doesn't have any connection to the comics' universe, doesn't mean that they aren't officially in the mainstream continuity.

(or to rephrase what I'm saying) Batman Beyond (comics) is not an elseworld character/story nor did he start as one. He's based on a character that is out of universe/elseworld, but he is apart of the mainstream continuity.
And again, I said I'll think about it (CBR site)

[size=4pt]
Finally someone gets pissed off here, it's about damn time!

A clusterfuck of walltext after walltext, no wonder why I definitely do not care about comic books or their community at all. [/size]It's bad when you know something its canon until someone else takes the direction of the next comic, reboots the whole shit, retcons everything and you are set back to 0 wtih all that knowledge becoming useless to keep track of the next story.

True, I can agree with that, but it does give me something to occupy my boring life with at the moment.

Comics are boring and only reason they catch my interest is because every television adaptation is less violent and make their own stories instead of just animating the events from the comics (like what most anime do with mangas).
Most mangas don't have 70+ years of history, with wildly different interpretations of the characters.

And what's the point of a direct, 1:1 adaption anyway? Why even bother?

Yeah if the viewer hasn't already read the source material, otherwise the adaptation would be really entertaining if it's presented properly. If it's presented the right way,  then a viewer should get the same amount of entertainment from the animation as they would if they read the book (I like some anime and if it's good enough, I'd actually read the manga just because I wanted to know what happens next.)

Mangas don't have that kind of history because they're usually written by only a handful of people, and the characters actually die  :P (instead of inexplicably slowly aging through the decades, or being revived somehow.)
Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 05:53:11 am by Edtion
#42  June 08, 2011, 06:11:53 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
an adaptaion is different media, which ahs different strenghts and weaknesses, even if the plot is followed 100% faithfully it will still be a different experience.
#43  June 08, 2011, 06:20:08 am
    • Edtion.TK
True. In my case, before anything else, I care about what happened, secondly I care is how it happened. The second (and maybe unnamed third) is why I'd chose to see it animated and not use my (limited) imagination to try to figure out how it happened  :).

edit: P.S. Is it possible to get HIV from a bite? Because I'm watching Baki the Grappler and Baki's mom just bit him, then when he was leaving, I saw this.
Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 06:51:32 am by Edtion
#44  June 08, 2011, 08:40:34 am
some story's in movies should be closer to the comics or almost word for word. I think this is what went wrong with X-men 3. Lord, the dark phoenix saga  :wall:

edition, I'm convinced you don't know what a elseworld story from DC is. harley quinn being added to [earth one from the BAS. is not the same as batman beyond being adapted to one of the other 52 earths. Not the same.

Main continuity at DC comics = Earth One's dimension ( Yes it really is earth one) 
DC comics continuity is all earths in their multiverse plus their DCAU.

Future Continuity on Earth 3 =/= Future Continuity on Earth 8
Future Continuity on Earth 2 from the DCAU =/= Future Continuity on Earth 4 in the DCU
Past Continuity on Earth 1 =/= Past Continuity on Earth 1 DCAU

marvel and dc do not run their continuities nor their dimension's the same way.
#45  June 08, 2011, 09:13:25 am
    • Edtion.TK
Edtion  --;

Sorry, but I don't understand most of what you said, so you'd have to rephrase it.   :(

It's better to call it New Earth (or just Earth) since it doesn't exactly have the same history as Earth-One. On Earth-One, superheroes teamed up a few times with superheroes from Earth-Two, and (if I remember correctly) there was a superboy before there was a superman on Earth-One. On New Earth, superman first got the costume after he saved a plane as an adult.
So, New Earth is made from Earth-One, but it's not the same thing.

And can you explain to me the Marvel thing, because I saw the movie but I haven't really done too much of any research in the stories for Marvel because I don't want to jump in at the wrong places.

P.S. Is it possible to get HIV from a bite? Because I'm watching Baki the Grappler and Baki's mom just bit him, then when he was leaving, I saw this.

#46  June 08, 2011, 11:47:27 am
some story's in movies should be closer to the comics or almost word for word. I think this is what went wrong with X-men 3. Lord, the dark phoenix saga  :wall:

edition, I'm convinced you don't know what a elseworld story from DC is. harley quinn being added to [earth one from the BAS. is not the same as batman beyond being adapted to one of the other 52 earths. Not the same.

Main continuity at DC comics = Earth One's dimension ( Yes it really is earth one) 

Future Continuity on Earth 2 from the DCAU =/= Future Continuity on Earth 4 in the DCU

Actually Terry McGinnis/Batman Beyond exists on New Earth. But isn't the same version as the cartoon, because he is trained by an old Damian Wayne in that universe.
#47  June 08, 2011, 05:06:14 pm
    • Edtion.TK
Yeah but when multiverses come  into the issue, unless DC or a character states the exact universe, it can always be another Earth (but even if a character says it's one Earth, DC can always come back and say that the character was misinformed  ::))
#48  June 08, 2011, 08:51:04 pm

Actually Terry McGinnis/Batman Beyond exists on New Earth. But isn't the same version as the cartoon, because he is trained by an old Damian Wayne in that universe.
I'm guessing he's starting to grow on people but I really wonder how long he'll last since some people hate him.
The current bosses of DC and Marvel have been messing with some of the characters.
Like why Gene Gray hasn't be resurrected yet.
If DC gets on that level I wouldn't be surprised if some characters go missing. Him being one.
I really don't like the idea of him being future batman. It should have been Tim or Nightwing.  Tim seems to have a dark and angsty streak causing him to go bad.
#49  June 08, 2011, 09:07:35 pm
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/

Yeah but when multiverses come  into the issue, unless DC or a character states the exact universe, it can always be another Earth
Not in all the cases. Young Justice animated becamed Earth-14 according to DCU. Also the Elseworlds are parallel universes to the main one, New-Earth (or Earth-One before the 2 Crisis), for one side could be facts that changed (as The Nail or Superman: Red Son, something like Marvel's What If...?) or well the same heroes in different times (like Gotham by Gaslight). So, every Elseworlds (and before that, the "Imaginary Stories" like Superman: Whatever happened to the Man of Tomorrow?)

Also, yesterday I was trying to make a wall-of-text post abour COIE to explain something about its creation, but later I didn't post it because the thread was changing the theme so quick... and I don't want to post a wall-of-text

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#50  June 08, 2011, 09:17:44 pm
Did it have to do with wolfmen and him coming up with the idea when he was 10?
#51  June 08, 2011, 10:11:33 pm
    • Chile

Yeah, something like that, but when I was redacting that, I read about "which Joker is better" and later about "Batman Beyond" stuff. So I gave up and passed away the stuff I was writing :-\

Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#52  June 08, 2011, 11:43:03 pm
    • Edtion.TK
Do it anyway  ;D. I made this thread to hear others' thoughts on CoIE as well as other DC comics related stories. Those other things, while not being on-topic, are still interesting (at least to me anyway)

Young Justice animated becamed Earth-14 according to DCU.

Are you sure about that? Because wikia says that DC said the events occur in Earth-16 (I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just trying to clarify this information. Either way, I don't think an animated series should be the main source for an alternate comics world  ::))

Please, explain   :blank:.

P.S. Is it possible to get HIV from a bite? Because I'm watching Baki the Grappler and Baki's mom just bit him, then when he was leaving, I saw this.

#53  June 09, 2011, 12:42:18 am
  • Smooches
    • USA
    • Skype - Neocide
I am not liking the relaunch for dc this fall, well at least not for the bat line, I was really liking dick grayson as batman, making him nightwing again feels like a step back, and birds of prey as a covert ops team looks silly.I wonder what will happen to tim drake if daimen is staying on as robin, doesn't look good.

I do like how cyborg is going to be a big part of dc comics in the coming months, not alot of black super hero's get the spot light and its cool to see one shine.

#54  June 09, 2011, 12:53:39 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
#55  June 09, 2011, 12:59:50 am
  • Smooches
    • USA
    • Skype - Neocide
yes they are rebooting the whole dc universe basically. complete with some modified origins and whatnot.

after this flashpoint event going on now.
#56  June 09, 2011, 01:03:28 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
yes they are rebooting the whole dc universe basically. complete with some modified origins and whatnot.

after this flashpoint event going on now.
Oh so it is a reboot. I was hoping it was just a relaunch of all the titles.

Because doing that has always worked and it will never bite you in the ass later.
#57  June 09, 2011, 01:17:08 am
  • Smooches
    • USA
    • Skype - Neocide
its like a semi reboot\relaunch, some origins will change for people etc etc, still dont like the dick grayson back to nightwing thing or the birds of prey stuff, oh also, Barbara Gordon is batgirl again too. They just retconned out one of the biggest joker moments.
#58  June 09, 2011, 01:39:05 am
    • Chile

Yeah, I agree about DC reboot... a lot of things will change and all will be the beginning, and that stuff I don't like it. Almost all heroes will come back to their origins and all will be younger than now, a big change only compared to DC post-COIE... and I'm scared about that :-\

#59  June 09, 2011, 01:58:06 am
its like a semi reboot\relaunch, some origins will change for people etc etc, still dont like the dick grayson back to nightwing thing or the birds of prey stuff, oh also, Barbara Gordon is batgirl again too. They just retconned out one of the biggest joker moments.

Why are they doing a massive reboot. I know IC may have caused them to paint them self in a corner but still.
They could have avoided these problems if they thought out IC more throughly and not allowed some of their
comics to de-evolve into chaos, Not run final crisis, avoided amazonian's attack, kept the teen titans on track and sane and not brought back Damian.

it sounds like alot of the bat family is going to get a raw deal. But kicking Cassandra Cain out for Spoiler was such a bad idea that bring back Barbara Gordon was a logical choice.
#60  June 09, 2011, 02:09:12 am
    • Chile

That's because DC wanted a new public basically guided for the movies, so they made a massive reboot. But as I know, maybe Green Lantern titles will remain from original titles, but that could be rumours only :-\