YesNoOk

Cyber Sub-Zero released (Read 6047 times)

Started by YochiThMaster333, November 24, 2023, 10:00:44 am
Share this topic:
Cyber Sub-Zero released
New #1  November 24, 2023, 10:00:44 am
  • Gotta Mugenize 'Em All
    • Russia
    • sites.google.com/site/yochismugensite/

My second Mortal Kombat character. This one is based on Mortal Kombat 9 Cyber Sub-Zero (LK-52O) but done in (U)MK3 style. Featuring special moves he had in Mortal Kombat 9, one super move, two fatalities with one being his first Fatality from Mortal Kombat 9 and the other one being the classic Spine Rip fatality, and two other finishers borrowed from other cyborg ninjas (Cyrax's Animality and Sektor's Friendship). I also had to use "Frankenspriting" for things like standing animation, win pose animation, and slide special move.

Download him here:
https://sites.google.com/site/yochismugensite/my-creations/charactersytm/mortalkombat-chars
UPD Nov30: The character has been updated to notably implement the Double Ice Backfire.

Like always, any feedback is welcome.
Last Edit: November 30, 2023, 05:45:12 pm by YochiThMaster333
Re: Cyber Sub-Zero released
#2  November 24, 2023, 07:45:07 pm
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
Cool char. I'm not familiar with MK chars but found some stuff:

- Not a big deal but pressing LP right after P2 gets up will still trigger a throw attempt despite Mugen making chars unthrowable
- Cryo Bomb could use a freeze effect rather than blue flames
- If you do Dive Kick close to the ground the char lands before it can hit
- Shouldn't dial combo 1 knock down? On that note all of those combos end the same way
- Fatalities make the camera zoom out if available
- Shouldn't a double freeze freeze yourself?
- His fireballs don't interact with other fireballs (I forget if that's a thing in MK)
- Freeze fireball hitbox doesn't need to be that big
- The super's pause effect is misplaced
- The super's freeze status lasts way too long
- The AI sometimes "runs while already running"
- He has a human KO scream
- Some debug messages about trying to use sounds 5,0 and 5,1 which don't exist
- One time I got behind him while he was doing the super and it froze me from behind
- AI uses freeze too much
- You're blocked from using some freezing moves while P2 is frozen but not others
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.
#3  November 25, 2023, 10:18:27 am
  • Gaming is so fun!
    • Poland
    • sites.google.com/view/dxgsmugensite/main-page
Something else I have found while playing as him:

- When the opponent is frozen by Ice Ball, you can use Ice Beam to freeze the opponent without problem, but when you try to hit frozen opponents with Ice Ball again, they will be no longer frozen.

Also known as "BartekZioomPro" (crappy name, I know).
Playin' Mugen since 2017, creating content since 2022.
#4  November 26, 2023, 12:24:07 pm
    • Portugal
Another one: If you kill P2 with a freezing move (namely the super) you have to wait a pretty long time for them to unfreeze before the round ends.
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
#5  November 26, 2023, 06:00:54 pm
    • USA

#6  November 27, 2023, 01:46:51 pm
  • Gotta Mugenize 'Em All
    • Russia
    • sites.google.com/site/yochismugensite/
- Not a big deal but pressing LP right after P2 gets up will still trigger a throw attempt despite Mugen making chars unthrowable
Will fix that one.

- Cryo Bomb could use a freeze effect rather than blue flames
I've could to use the effects seen in Borg117's Mortal Kombat Project, but doing so without asking would make him know my location, so I went for the way how it was somehow represented by UMK3 v0.71 Genesis ROM hack.

- If you do Dive Kick close to the ground the char lands before it can hit
Might fix that one.

- Shouldn't dial combo 1 knock down? On that note all of those combos end the same way
The original combo (of Unmasked!Sub-Zero from MK3) did not knock the opponent down, that's why I kept in that way.

- Fatalities make the camera zoom out if available
Because opponent's (not their leftovers) position is set to 9999, this usually happens. Will change to a bit different thing like OMEGAPSYCHO did to not mess with the camera.

- Shouldn't a double freeze freeze yourself?
Will implement the Double Ice Backfire later.

- His fireballs don't interact with other fireballs (I forget if that's a thing in MK)
Correction: Ice Balls. In UMK3, Sub-Zero's Ice Ball cannot interact with other projectiles.

- Freeze fireball hitbox doesn't need to be that big
How the hitboxes should be sized anyway?

- The super's pause effect is misplaced
Will fix that as well.

- The super's freeze status lasts way too long
Because Ice Beam in MK9 freezes the opponent longer than before. Maybe I should make the frozen status time shorter.

- The AI sometimes "runs while already running"
There's the reason why readme file has "The AI code is not perfect, but I tried." in "Things I'm really aware of".

- He has a human KO scream
This is because all cyber ninjas in (U)MK3 share the same voice clip as Kano, Jax, Shang Tsung and Ermac, so I kept it that way.

- Some debug messages about trying to use sounds 5,0 and 5,1 which don't exist
All cyber ninjas in (U)MK3 don't have any of the attacking voice lines, but I forgot to remove leftovers of it.

- One time I got behind him while he was doing the super and it froze me from behind
Might shorten the hitboxes of it.

- You're blocked from using some freezing moves while P2 is frozen but not others
Are you playing in Simul (or Tag in IKEMEN's case) mode? Simul mode is normally not designed for many characters, which even The_None warns you about that. Will remove restrictions by adding Double Ice Backfire.

Something else I have found while playing as him:

- When the opponent is frozen by Ice Ball, you can use Ice Beam to freeze the opponent without problem, but when you try to hit frozen opponents with Ice Ball again, they will be no longer frozen.
It won't be the case if I implement Double Ice Backfire.

Another one: If you kill P2 with a freezing move (namely the super) you have to wait a pretty long time for them to unfreeze before the round ends.
Will fix that one.
#7  November 27, 2023, 05:48:34 pm
    • Portugal
Because opponent's (not their leftovers) position is set to 9999, this usually happens. Will change to a bit different thing like OMEGAPSYCHO did to not mess with the camera.
You could keep it like that but disable movecamera.

How the hitboxes should be sized anyway?
If you made them 4 times shorter (starting from the front) they'd still have a generous size. However that's just conventional fighting game design. To be sure I checked some MK hitboxes (MK2) and they're also really long there, so I guess yours are good.

Are you playing in Simul (or Tag in IKEMEN's case) mode? Simul mode is normally not designed for many characters, which even The_None warns you about that. Will remove restrictions by adding Double Ice Backfire.
I only tested 1v1.
#8  November 28, 2023, 06:00:40 am
  • Lover of yardsales.
    • USA
this is a very cool take on Cyber Sub-Zero (no pun intended). Just a question, will there be a way to make other characters compatible with the spine rip fatality? I've done this with other characters to be compatible with that fatality from various characters who use that move (Juano's Soul Ninja MK2 and UMK3, Doomguy's Blossom, RGM's MK1 Sub-Zero).