YesNoOk

Project Catch 'Em All (Read 753252 times)

Started by Ryon, September 12, 2013, 02:52:20 am
Share this topic:
Re: Project Catch 'Em All
#821  June 06, 2023, 02:59:10 pm
  • I've finally got a yellow star!
    • UK
    • txpotstuff.wordpress.com/
(In light of recent activity starting from 31st October 2022, I have decided to post an update of some sorts.)

Okay, this is a lot to take in. Lets start with the users here:

I'm very sorry for not being active. I can't actually work on Project Catch-em all at this point in time. I haven't given up on the project, but due to family matters and my job, I haven't been able to do anything with the project yet. The things I wanted to do in the next update at the very least are as follows:

1. The size of the game in general is increased from 640x480 to 1024x768, to accomodate a need to add more things to the game screens in general.

2. The roster size gets increased to accomodate 144 monsters (though this will have to be changed due to the frequency of other users releasing characters).

3. The item system being easier to access, as it's a bit difficult to use in the heat of battle.

To wait Another characters

There are a bunch of characters you've made, but I must interject as there are some things I need to clarify with all your work.

The quality of your work in general. While I understand that there is a need among some users (both past and present) to have as many characters as possible in the game itself on a weekly/monthly basis, I feel that the quality of them vary too wildly to even consider ANY of your creations, let alone a quarter of them. I have tested all of them (Except Darmanitan as the link is broken), and have found a number of problems that otherwise wouldn't be suitable for the game itself, spoiler-ed to make it easier to read the rest of this post (though I understand if you can't fix the problems because you're not fluent in coding/spriting/frankenspriting):

To give a brief summary to the issues present with all of your work:

1. Most, if not all of your pokemon, are direct spriteswaps of existing creations. Don't do this just to make a character, unless you know that you can turn a previous creation into something entirely new.

2. The sprites that aren't portraits are totally unsuitable for this game, for most of your pokemon. Remember, this full game requires you to either grab Joshr's sprites and work with them (Sprite sheet or just a single sprite, it can be whatever it is as long as it's made by Joshr), or find an equivalent spriter that can keep the quality of the character to Joshr's standards. As it stands, the sprites was ripped from the animations from Generation 5's Black and White, which we cannot accept at all.

3. Meanwhile, the sprites that DO come from Joshr's sprite sheets are either misaligned, are cropped improperly, or have artifacts such as the leftover pixels of background colours on them, making them look bad in everything they do. This is heartbreaking, especially because most of Joshr's sprite sheets DO have a good animation within the sheets, so not including these beautiful animations is another sign of laziness and not caring about the original work.

4. Most, if not all of your pokemon's stats and typing are wrong. I don't know what source you looked at to get such inaccurate values, but you need to use the offical websites listed in the "Develper Reference.txt" file, or at least find a reputable website like PokemonDB for less in-depth things.

5. When loading the pokemon, I get a debug flood of "Missing Required Sprites" at minimum, and "FVar index out of range" at the worst case scenario. In addition, most of the pokemon have names that are misaligned on the P2 side.

6. The "Non-Type" is there to make sure that moves that deal a fixed amount of damage (Counter/Mirror Coat/Bide/Night Shade, etc) deal accurate damage, and therefore should be set to 1.0. As it stands, almost ALL of your pokemon take 50% more damage from those moves, which shouldn't be the case at all.

7. All their attacking moves have the STAB (Same-Type-Attack-Boost) bonus enabled, regardless of what types should get the bonus in relation to the pokemon itself.

8. Their animations need work overall, and their blue collisions are either too big or too small for the pokemon's size. In addition, it fluctuates while its moving and attacking. You need to keep all of its collisions consistent with every action it can do, so that it doesn't take any unnecessary damage because of its large collisions.

9. Their palettes don't work because you didn't add the sprites and link them to the palettes properly, and so most of the pokemon's palettes will always be messed up.

I can't post the rest of what I was going to say because I keep running into an error...

Also, as far as I remember, Samus is meant to be super slim, enough to be flexible and morph into a ball inside her suit. You gave her a huge ass that makes it impossible to imagine it being done.
#822  June 06, 2023, 05:14:44 pm
    • UK
My Post, Part two:
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Despite all of this, keep in mind that just because they aren't included in the official game, doesn't mean that you can't import additional creations later on. I'm just saying that we, as both creators and developers of the game as a whole, need to stick to a certain degree of standards to ensure that everything within the game is consistent with everything else.

Also, as far as I remember, Samus is meant to be super slim, enough to be flexible and morph into a ball inside her suit. You gave her a huge ass that makes it impossible to imagine it being done.
#823  June 07, 2023, 01:26:09 pm
    • France
Thanks for your comments!
Sounds, Mystery Dongeon's Portrait are being modified. (I found this : https://sprites.pmdcollab.org/)
Some points such as attack statistics or type weaknesses have already been fixed. I took the liberty of adding obscure, sheer cold and scrappy, of course I put Non-type back

For portraits, I can make it possible too.
For STAB it's on wip too.

For palettes, even with a tutorial, I can't do it.
Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 03:07:46 pm by ReyCed
#824  June 07, 2023, 06:38:55 pm
    • UK
Some points such as attack statistics or type weaknesses have already been fixed. I took the liberty of adding obscure, sheer cold and scrappy, of course I put Non-type back.

Don't bother with adding extra type-resistances. Once I've established that I don't need anymore float variables for whatever I make, I'll add the extra types depending on what the general public wants. In the meantime, here are some points of interest:

1. Scrappy can be easily replicated by setting the move's type to the Non-type instead of the Normal/Fighting type when you come across a Ghost pokemon. Just remember that this should only be considered if you can determine which monsters Scrappy should be effective against, as this can cause Normal and Fighting-type attacks to bypass resistances, causing them to be overpowered.

2. Though there aren't any limits to what moves you can add in to the pokemon apart from what's legal or not, I would hold off of adding instant-kill moves such as Sheer Cold simply because it can cause certain fights to become unfair. There are better moves you can add that could be replicated in the game, so at least consider those before resorting to a potentially-cheap move.

3. I don't know what the "obscure" type is supposed to replicate. If it's supposed to be for Shadow Pokemon, then it's better to just use the Non-type for Shadow moves and make them deal 50% more damage.

For STAB it's on wip too.

You edited the post before I could post this, but for STAB, all you have to do is remove the *1.5 part of the attack's power. If your code looks like this:

Code:
fall.envshake.phase = floor((150*1.5)*ifelse(var(21)=17,1.3,1))

You change it to this:

Code:
fall.envshake.phase = floor((150)*ifelse(var(21)=17,1.3,1))

Remember that if a move's type matches with either of the pokemon's type, it gains the bonus.

For palettes, even with a tutorial, I can't do it.

Don't worry about the palettes; It's not an issue compared to the sprites. Once you fix the sprite issues for all your pokemon, I'll personally fix them myself.

Thanks for your comments!
Sounds, Mystery Dongeon's Portrait are being modified. (I found this : https://sprites.pmdcollab.org/)

That's interesting, a website that dedicates itself to making their own custom Mystery Dungeon sprites. Alright, I'll make an exception for everyone to use those sprites if the pokemon they're working on are beyond Generation 4. Good find!

Finally, your earlier question regarding help with Avalanche:

I need some help to make avalanche, need "double damages if user receive attack before"

All you have to do is take the code for Counter/Mirror coat, and make it so that the move activates its attack regardless of whether the user is hit or not, then add the relevant variable so you can apply the extra damage.

This is an example taken from Wobbuffet, so modify for your own creations:

#825  June 07, 2023, 08:22:00 pm
    • France
For obscure type, Chuchoryu 've realized Dark Lugia which I modified to be like Pokemon XD.
-Hydro Pump
-Shadow Storm
-Shadow Blast
-Earthquake

=> Obscure type is super effective (*1.5) against other type but not effective (*0.66) to obscure type.

To resist or beat that boss, I add Electabuzz and Primeape (with a dark palette) and with Shadow Rush on attack.
#826  July 31, 2023, 11:51:32 pm
    • France
Hi! I am making the recommended modifications. However I have noticed that flareon and quilava have their flash fire which doesn't work...
#827  August 13, 2023, 07:39:53 pm
    • UK
Hi! I am making the recommended modifications. However I have noticed that flareon and quilava have their flash fire which doesn't work...
I can assure you that Flash Fire does indeed work. Either you messed up how to implement it, or you don't know how to test to see if it works.

To activate abilities, you either select the character using Kick buttons instead of Punch buttons, or you fight the opponent at AI Level 8. Both of those will activate the character's abilities.

NOTE: If you're currently coding the character before releasing it, you can permanently enable abilities for the sake of debugging. This is the code that would activate abilities, so change the highlighted text;

Code:
[State VarSet];Ability
type = VarSet
trigger1 = palno = [4,6] ;<<< change this
trigger2 = AILevel >= 8
v = 40
value = 1

to this:

Code:
[State VarSet];Ability
type = VarSet
trigger1 = 1 ;<<< change this
trigger2 = AILevel >= 8
v = 40
value = 1

Let's use Quilava as an example. It has two abilities that can be used to test whether you're selecting the character using the right buttons; Blaze, and Flash Fire.

Select Quilava with either buttons, and then get the other monster to attack it until it has less than 1/3 of its life left. Observe Quilava and note the following;

1. Does it start emitting a fire effect from its body?
2. After using a Fire attack on Quilava, does it start emitting an aura of its own afterimage?

If it doesn't do either of those things, you haven't activated abilities on Quilava, so select the character using Kick buttons instead of Punch buttons and try again.

After its abilities are activated, you must check its code to see how Flash Fire works. How it works uses code like this:

Code:
; Set Type Weaknesses
[State ]
type = Null
triggerall = var(40) >= 1
trigger1 = fvar(10):=1.0 ; Normal
trigger1 = fvar(11):=0.0 || 1 ; Fire
trigger1 = fvar(12):=1.5 ; Water
trigger1 = fvar(13):=0.66 ; Grass
trigger1 = fvar(14):=1.0 ; Electric
trigger1 = fvar(15):=0.66 ; Ice
trigger1 = fvar(16):=1.0 ; Fighting
trigger1 = fvar(17):=1.0 ; Poison
trigger1 = fvar(18):=1.5 ; Ground
trigger1 = fvar(19):=1.0 ; Flying
trigger1 = fvar(20):=1.0 ; Psychic
trigger1 = fvar(21):=0.66 ; Bug
trigger1 = fvar(22):=1.5 ; Rock
trigger1 = fvar(23):=1.0 ; Ghost
trigger1 = fvar(24):=1.0 ; Dragon
trigger1 = fvar(25):=1.0 ; Dark
trigger1 = fvar(26):=0.66 ; Steel
trigger1 = fvar(27):=0.66 ; Fairy
trigger1 = fvar(28):=0.66 ; Freeze Dry
trigger1 = fvar(29):=1.0 ; Flying Press
trigger1 = fvar(32):=1.0 ; Non-Type

Notice that Quilava/Flareon has "0.0 || 1" in their resistances to Fire. This grants an immunity to Fire damage, but as this is wrong because neither of them are immune to Fire under normal circumstances, we duplicate the type resistance code from the original and then modify it so that we can have immunity to Fire only when abilities are on.

Finally, this part of the code is important, as this tells you when Flash Fire is in effect.

Code:
[State VarSet];Flash Fire Boost
type = VarSet
triggerall = var(40) >= 1
trigger1 = gethitvar(fall.envshake.ampl) = 11
v = 42
value = 1

This adds a variable that activates Flash Fire when you get hit by Fire attacks. Remember that characters don't have to take damage in order to record when they're hit by a specific attack.

Now with all this involved, you must modify the attack state's Hitdef so that they are affected by Flash Fire. An example code is from Flareon's Flare Blitz:

Code:
floor(((120*1.5)+(60*var(42)))*ifelse(var(21)=17,1.3,1))

The "60*var(42)" section relates to Flash Fire, in that it gets a damage boost of 50% of the original power once it activates.

#828  August 14, 2023, 05:46:07 pm
    • France
Thanks a lot for your answer, I understand better now.
I have an another request for Night Shade , I need to make him immune to normal type.
Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 06:16:01 pm by ReyCed
#829  August 15, 2023, 01:40:30 am
    • UK
Thanks a lot for your answer, I understand better now.
I have an another request for Night Shade , I need to make him immune to normal type.

Assuming you meant that Night Shade shouldn't affect Normal-types, the simplest way is to set the move as a Ghost-type attack, and set var(8) to 2, like this:

and this for the attack itself:[/s]

EDIT: Actually, I screwed up here, as the attack itself is still affected by resistances to Ghost attacks.

To do this, you must send the enemy into a state, and then apply the damage from there.

This is the damage code for his throw attack from the Kung Fu Man template:

Code:
[State LifeAdd];Effective
type = LifeAdd
triggerall = time = 1
trigger1 = fvar(23) >= 0.1
value = -100
kill = 1
absolute = 1

[State LifeAdd];Not Effective
type = LifeAdd
triggerall = time = 1
trigger1 = fvar(23) <= 0.0
value = 0
kill = 0
absolute = 1

[State VarSet];Show Damage Taken
type = VarSet
triggerall = numenemy >= 1
trigger1 = time = 0
v = 19
value = life

type = VarSet
trigger1 = time = 2
v = 19
value = 0

type = VarSet
trigger1 = time = 1
v = 6
value = var(19)-life

; Effectiveness Text
[State Explod]
type = Explod
triggerall = time = 1
triggerall = !numexplod(16010)
trigger1 = fvar(23)<=0.0
anim = F16009 + (2*(fvar(23)<=0.0))
ID = 16010
pos = 0,-20
postype = p1
facing = facing
vfacing = 1
bindtime = 5
vel = 0,-0.5
accel = 0,0.03
removetime = -2
pausemovetime = 0
scale = 0.25,0.25
sprpriority = 99
ontop = 1
ownpal = 1
removeongethit = 0
ignorehitpause = 1

Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 01:33:36 pm by Txpot
#830  August 16, 2023, 05:23:24 pm
    • France
humor: my brain just exploded
#831  August 19, 2023, 03:55:45 pm
    • UK
1st pack: Chars A-C
Applin
Bagon
Bayleef
Celebi
Cloyster
Combusken
Cottonee
Croconaw

All previous links have been removed. Only modified characters will be available for download.
Okay, the characters you've updated still need more work. It's as if you've rushed them out just so they can be accepted into this game, which you shouldn't make a priority at all. You need to take the time to fix everything that comes up as a problem, even if it isn't mentioned by me.

From A-Z order, here's my feedback:

Also, PLEASE remove any and all files that ARE NOT related to the character at all (Combusken is the worst offender, having files from FOUR different characters in one folder!).

#832  August 22, 2023, 03:26:54 am
    • UK
1st pack: Chars A-B
Applin
Bagon
Bayleef

For debug flow, I don't know to solve that...

"Can't Map Palette 1.1 to 1.1" is solved by making palettes for the characters themselves. Use this chance as practice to make palettes for the pokemon you create.

Meanwhile, "Missing Required Sprites" requires you to create hurt sprites for the missing required sprites. For example, if it says "Missing Required Sprites 5011,10", you duplicate the hurt sprite and group it as 5011,10.

#833  August 26, 2023, 03:43:56 am
    • UK
1st pack: Chars A-B
All previous links have been removed. Only modified characters will be available for download.

For Applin's Rollout=> on data/common1.cns you must search all "rollout" and add :

You don't need to modify the common1.cns file at all for what you're trying to do. For your own creations, all you need to do is copy the relevant state(s) you want to modify from the common1.cns file to the character's .cns file, and then work from there. (Don't copy statedef -2, or you'll literally break the game.)

For example, the relevant modifications to Rollout involve [StateDef 1] and [StateDef 2000], so copy those entire states and place them in your character's state files, then modify them in your character's state, as you'll see below:

The reason why this works is because of a quirk in MUGEN's default engine; MUGEN doesn't allow multiples of the same statedef number to exist while loading everything. In the case of two "StateDef" of the same number existing at the same time, MUGEN will load the files from the characters first, then the files from the game's sub-folder (common1.cns, etc) and then disregard any additional statedef with the same number. In other words, MUGEN will load only one statedef of the same number at a time, prioritizing the character's files first before anything else.

#834  September 02, 2023, 04:06:48 am
    • UK
1st pack on 08/26/23: Chars A-B

TXPOT: thanks a lot for your help, I appreciate.  (for palette=> that doesn't work: tutorials I found confused me more than they helped me)

Alright, I have a question for you; What do you do during the creation process of making and updating a Pokemon?

I'm asking this because most of the feedback I'm giving you relates to problems that were already fixed in a previous update or so. In the last update alone, Applin only needed its collision boxes fixed and Rollout to have the attack be made in the same quality as Jigglypuff. Now, there's more problems that need fixing that didn't need fixing in the first place, because you already fixed them before or they didn't have an issue to begin with. It's as if that, rather than take the previous update and improve on it, you took the character from a much older update and decided to work on THAT. You should never do this, unless the previous update had a quirk that you liked but you didn't get to implement it properly at the right time.

Anyway, feedback:

Also, PLEASE DON'T DELETE POSTS FOR WHATEVER REASON; it breaks the flow of the topic itself. (I know this because you copied the last paragraph from your week-ago previous post to this newest one.) If you have to omit information out of a post because it's outdated or whatever, use the Strikethrough function to cross out the offending information. You know how to use Spoiler functions, so this shouldn't be difficult to do.

#835  September 03, 2023, 11:28:59 pm
Also, PLEASE DON'T DELETE POSTS FOR WHATEVER REASON; it breaks the flow of the topic itself. (I know this because you copied the last paragraph from your week-ago previous post to this newest one.) If you have to omit information out of a post because it's outdated or whatever, use the Strikethrough function to cross out the offending information. You know how to use Spoiler functions, so this shouldn't be difficult to do.

He didn't read this. :mlol:
#836  February 02, 2024, 04:11:49 pm
    • France
I'm back, with updated characters.

All updated (152Mo) => Edited 'cause I forgot I made new sprites for cosmic power + new stand anim for Lunatone and Sharpedo
Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 11:09:46 am by ReyCed
#837  February 03, 2024, 12:07:52 pm
    • Barbados
Glad to see you've still been updating. I've tested all out so far, enjoying them.
But question, could I get Teddiursa and the expanded screenpack download?
#838  February 03, 2024, 07:36:56 pm
    • France
Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 02:59:45 pm by ReyCed
#839  February 06, 2024, 08:07:45 am
    • France
#840  February 06, 2024, 12:14:11 pm
    • Barbados
Thanks. :D
I like Ursaring, but i also like having all 3 baby bears, Teddiursa, Cubchoo and Panchum. So the old teddiursa is fine by me.