YesNoOk

Effective method for crossup protection? (Read 1593 times)

Started by Bannana, November 04, 2022, 10:49:04 am
Share this topic:
Effective method for crossup protection?
#1  November 04, 2022, 10:49:04 am
  • Non est hoc propter hoc sed propter est hoc
    • USA
    • doubletrend-zeta.neocities.org/
Was discussed in this thread years ago but that solution seems contained to a character who uses a helper in a way similar to how people code armor. Maybe it's more a question about "wrong way blocking" for the opponent.

I'm interested in a problem where an air move, even though it crosses up, would not cause the opponent to turn and face the attacker. If they turn, the facing switch flips the inputs and causes them to hold forward and get hit, but in a game with passable crossup protection the opponent won't be turned around until the air move ends and they can still block in the direction they were initially holding until the opponent lands, after which they turn and have to switch directions to continue blocking.

An example, movetype here is Idle until animelem 4, then it becomes Active, so as you crossup the proximity guard and facing causes the character to flip around and be open to being hit instead of being given the benefit of a "wrong way block" for crossup protection.

I supposed you could mess with width and guarddist, but I'm not sure if that could cause other issues with collisions and characters passing through each other? Maybe reducing width only when they're on the ground and resetting it if they jump?

Has anyone really addressed this problem with how this is hardcoded for universal use? It's possible in a closed environment using the first linked method, but I do like to aim for universality in most situations.
Re: Effective method for crossup protection?
#2  November 04, 2022, 11:50:51 am
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
I've never messed around with this (other than checking if some codes break crossup blocking), but I kind of have to answer the question with another question: why do you have the startup as movetype = I? The way that triggers proximity block later makes the crossup extra ambiguous.

You could maybe achieve something like this with the Offset sctrl, but it's messy the way I'm imagining it. Or maybe make it miss if the opponent is starting to turn.

(In Ikemen you could force noautoturn on the opponent.)
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.
Re: Effective method for crossup protection?
#3  November 04, 2022, 10:24:24 pm
  • Non est hoc propter hoc sed propter est hoc
    • USA
    • doubletrend-zeta.neocities.org/
I set it as movetype = I just to isolate where the crossup happens when I'm working manually without a recorded dummy. The extra ambiguity just lets me test more situations where a double jump or maybe short airdash into a highly active normal could occur, and the proximity block with active from the start is harder to setup these situations without setting up a recorded dummy.

offset sounds messy but perhaps you could set up a check specifically where if the game recognizes a combination of "enemy,facing=facing" and "p2bodydist" the offset can be shifted for a frame or two just prevent the turn. Now if you could make the hitflag true but invalid as to end up 100% blockable if they were already inguardist and in states =[120,150] that also could deal with the problem of the autoturn robbing the defender of holding back.

I was interested in moving to ikemen eventually, so noautoturn would probably solve the issue.