YesNoOk

Release - Det. Garret Laurel (SHADEs 2) by SeanAltly (w/AI by Kamekaze) (Read 16107 times)

Started by Sean Altly, December 06, 2010, 04:48:06 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Release - Det. Garret Laurel (SHADEs 2) by SeanAltly (w/AI by Kamekaze)
#21  December 07, 2010, 08:33:47 pm
  • I am hilarious
  • and you will quote everything I say
    • USA
Oh poppycock, a good challenge is good.
#22  December 07, 2010, 08:35:37 pm
  • Unity of Hearts
    • Spain
#23  December 07, 2010, 10:02:32 pm
  • Ravlents!
    • www.crunchyroll.com/user/bookwize
Mr. Sean Altly, this one marvelous character I would never imagine there would be a detectvie in mugen but you made it happen just like the rest of your characters. now there one thing I want to point out you think you could give him more speech then "Standdown" I  figure for a detectvie he would be saying more things like
"Stop Right There!" or "Don't move!" but thats just me which ever way you make him or your other charaters
I will still like all of them  just the same. ;)

It's best if I keep my thought's to myself even when no one cares, I just felt Maybe....
Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 10:39:49 pm by BookWize
#24  December 07, 2010, 11:50:59 pm
    • USA
He looks like a nice mixture of Seth and Eagle, the sprites look amazing (I'm jealous actually), he's really well animated and functions smoothly. I wouldn't really expect less.

I enjoyed how you applied the use of the gun. As a designer, I believe it would look better if you had a slightly more detailed font/sprite or replaced the number with actual bullet representations. Since it's five bullets in total, you could easily create the multiple bullet sprites.

The voice acting works well with the character... I have no room to evaluate on that. (Tye will get a DECENT voice eventually guys.)

Gameplay, at first I didn't feel like he had much combo potential... but after a little testing I was pleasantly surprised. I do have some things to critique.

- Lethal Weapon needs to be a tad faster overall. Yes, an almost instant projectile that follows, but the vulnerability, low damage, and the need of reloading forces the move into obscurity,
-- Would be neat if it would combo close up.
-- Be cool if the downward shot would hit lying opponents.

^*Face palm* Didn't know you could do consecutive shots until just now! Changes everything, yet a damaged reduced shot to a down opponent would be cool.
- Sudden Impact is well programmed, yet I wouldn't mind to see projectile immunity on the early start up to make it a decent anti-projectile attack.
- Striking Distance works great as a reversal against grounded opponents so nothing wrong here, looks great.
- Hard boiled, everything looks fine here.
- Die Hard needs a tad less recovery or longer guard pausing, just to make the aesthetics of the move right.... yet the hitoverride is a cool feature.
- His normals are decent, but cr. HP needs to be a tad better on priority I feel.
- Supers are wonderful, love the animations, nothing off except the probably intentional no bullet loss lvl 3 super combo.

Everything I said is pretty much trivial in the long run though. The character is amazing as is.

I just hope one day I can make my characters as engaging and as fun to play as yours.
Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 03:18:21 pm by safirkreuz85
#25  December 08, 2010, 04:18:52 pm
  • Deliverater
  • Who's that guy? A-L-T-L-Y
    • USA
    • www.mugenguild.com/seanaltly
No feedback as in depth as yours is trivial, and I will certainly take everything into consideration. I need to do another update to fix the power gain during his DM, so I'll probably make some of these adjustments when I do.

Thanks for the kind words, especially about the sprites, since these ones took me longer than any other sprites I've done. I can't wait to see more of your stuff as well.

Download Last Bout now!
#26  December 08, 2010, 06:28:06 pm
I almost forgot to mention this, but the AI sometimes uses Lethal Weapon as a juggle after EX Die Hard in the corner. This is impractical not only because Lethal Weapon is techable long before the gunshots can hit, but the gunshots don't even connect in the corner, since they appear too far in front of Garret. It also jump cancels the launcher on block. It probably shouldn't be doing the former, and definitely shouldn't be doing the latter.
"I'll change MY direction! Yeah." - Benimaru
#27  December 11, 2010, 11:20:49 am
    • senorfro.deviantart.com/
After trying him out some more, a few more points

- 'Copland' can be done whether you have super or not.  If you do it with any amount of super, it gets used up.

- 'Striking Distance' has a weird property in the corner.  Do the move with his back to the wall.  When it's done, since there's no room to send the opponent, they more or less stay in place (a couple of times, because of placement, the opponent stays where they are instead of the other side).  Another thing, is that the opponent will face the wrong direction for half a second, which can be confusing (I once had Oswald back-dash behind me).

- How come I can combo into 'Die Hard', but not 'Hard Boiled'

- Just a suggestion, but I believe LP version of 'The Enforcer' should face downward.  I say this because some characters can flat out duck the entire move without getting hit.  This way, it could cover a better area.
#28  December 11, 2010, 04:26:55 pm
  • Deliverater
    • USA
-All of the SHADEs characters' DMs work like that, it's a system thing. Once you're below 250 life, you get one shot at the DM and it uses all of your remaining Super Meter, whether you have 3 or 3000 built up. If you miss, you don't get another shot at it until the next round.

-I haven't seen that, I'll have to check it out.

-That's just a gameplay decision I made. I can add some comboability to the move, but I tried it before and the fact that it's a low-hitting attack throw that does a lot of damage made it feel cheap to combo into.

-I suppose I could add that. He does shoot right over a lot of other characters because he's so tall.

Download Last Bout now!
#29  December 11, 2010, 10:53:25 pm
-All of the SHADEs characters' DMs work like that, it's a system thing. Once you're below 250 life, you get one shot at the DM and it uses all of your remaining Super Meter, whether you have 3 or 3000 built up. If you miss, you don't get another shot at it until the next round.

I see.  I didn't realize all your characters had that.  I just find it odd that I could have no super meter, do the move and do set damage; while if I had a full super meter and did the move, the same damage amount is dealt.  I suppose it does further the term of desperation as you can use the move but not without cause and consequences.  It just seems impractical to put it in those conditions.

-That's just a gameplay decision I made. I can add some comboability to the move, but I tried it before and the fact that it's a low-hitting attack throw that does a lot of damage made it feel cheap to combo into.

Maybe you can make a damage damper on it to make the damage not so high.
#30  December 11, 2010, 11:28:40 pm
  • I am hilarious
    • USA
The DMs are easily avoided as they're grabs, easily blocked and/or close-range attacks. The only exception is Thirteen, who has a grab DM, and it's unblockable and he runs at you during it.
#31  December 12, 2010, 12:37:51 am
  • Unity of Hearts
    • Spain
The only exception is Thirteen, who has a grab DM, and it's unblockable and he runs at you during it.

The AI also loves to use this attack, so you have to be really careful when you manage to drop his health a lot. God knows how many times I made a mistake and let the AI grab me.
#32  December 12, 2010, 03:55:45 am
  • I am hilarious
    • USA
He's open to attack when he does it so toss a projectile his way or move
#33  December 12, 2010, 07:03:42 pm
  • Unity of Hearts
    • Spain
#34  December 12, 2010, 07:06:18 pm
  • Deliverater
    • USA
Well, I'm about to release updates for all of my previously released characters. Do you think I should make Thirteen's DM blockable?

Download Last Bout now!
#35  December 12, 2010, 07:07:58 pm
  • I am hilarious
    • USA
Given the speed he runs at and the huge damage output it has, it might be a good idea.
#36  December 12, 2010, 07:08:12 pm
  • Unity of Hearts
    • Spain
Well, I'm about to release updates for all of my previously released characters. Do you think I should make Thirteen's DM blockable?

Well, either you decrease the speed and damage or you make it blockable.
#37  December 12, 2010, 07:09:33 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
Running throws are tricky to be honest.

I would factor in the speed he's going. If you think he goes pretty fast, then maybe it should be blockable.

But at the same time, it IS a DM so that could make you choose to keep it unblockable.
#38  December 12, 2010, 07:26:34 pm
  • Deliverater
    • USA
Yeah, I mean, you only have to stop him a maximum of once per round. I already lowered the damage for the update from 500 to 450 since 400-450 is the new standard for DMs in SHADEs 2 (I look at them as a free L3 super basically).

Download Last Bout now!
#39  December 13, 2010, 04:39:50 am
#40  December 13, 2010, 04:43:22 am
  • I am hilarious
    • USA
That would be really broken then since you could do any super immediately after the DM (although you can already do a DM after a level 3, but that's something entirely different).