YesNoOk

Silent Hill discussion (Read 47377 times)

Started by DMK, April 11, 2011, 03:36:41 pm
Share this topic:

DMK

Silent Hill discussion
#1  April 11, 2011, 03:36:41 pm
  • 141⅔% chance of winning
    • USA
    • www.twitch.tv/ThisbeDMK
Because I like the series and its fantastic atmosphere an art direction, lets have a fucking Silent Hill discussion.

Favorite by far was 2, but despite the changes made to it in Homecoming I probably put that as my second. Been leaning on picking up the Wiimake of 1, but due to its playstyle have been hesitant, for those that have picked it up would it be a good play for a longtime fan of the series?
Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 03:40:47 pm by DMK
Re: Silent Hill discussion
#2  April 11, 2011, 03:41:25 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
Silent hill 2 is still up there as one of my favorite horror games of all time.
"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

"Okay, okay. So you put a Nazi on the Moon. Fuck you, Moon."
#3  April 11, 2011, 03:53:32 pm
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
I totally expected this topic to be by Saohc then I remembered he was banned.

GOH

#4  April 11, 2011, 03:56:18 pm
  • Pure radge
    • Portugal
Hell yeah definitely gonna follow this topic. SH2 = Godlike.
#5  April 11, 2011, 04:05:18 pm
  • Yo.
Hello, my name's helltoast and I'm one of the biggest SH fans, ever.

#6  April 11, 2011, 04:22:34 pm
  • I'm behind you!!!
k I'mma tell you bout the Wiimake of 1....donot I say doNOT get it...you can't beat the crap outta the monsters...they're afraid of flares...you can only run from them so most of the time you don't even see them besides in cut scenes...the game was horrible cuz it totally contradicts the events of the 3rd game...Origins was PSP's version of 2 pretty much and it held up to par with every Silent Hill out there...but as far as the Wii remake of the 1st game it's a waste of money...the only monsters you do see at all are called Rawshocks, which the name is based on the Rorschach test in psychology....they appear a lil different depending on how you play the game...at most Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is a rentworthy title...but way far from a must own. it's not even scary like all the other games...most of the time you solve these puzzles in the normal world and in this "normal world" you are completely safe so there's no feeling of ok when's the next armless man gonna come outta nowhere and spit acid at me.

if ya must play it I suggest renting it cuz you'll be able to beat it in about 6 hours

DMK

#7  April 11, 2011, 04:34:23 pm
    • USA
you can't beat the crap outta the monsters

usually in the horror genre I never expect to "beat up" the monsters, but the rest of what you said about the game does irk me. Going to look into the stuff that caused contradictions with the past canon for sure.

I suppose though when more info turns up about the newest Silent Hill I'll use this topic for it too.
#8  April 11, 2011, 04:40:42 pm
  • I'm behind you!!!
well according to the canon Harry actually dies in the 1st game so it means the 3rd game never happened and it all was just made up in Cheryl/Heather's brain to somehow keep Harry alive so to speak...which would mean the games 2, 3, 4, Homecoming and Origin's never happened.as we all know Origins is prequel to the 1st game so it does contradict itself to a degree. I've played them all sept the new one coming out without Akira Yamaoka at the music helm
#9  April 11, 2011, 05:49:30 pm
  • on your knees, dog.
i like SH1, i like the story the gameplay especially the part that you play it as a boy lol

Mmm thats disappointing to hear,i never thought shattered memories was crap, besides thetrailer looks pretty good lol

oh i think this one looks pretty nice, anyone tried that?
★★★
Admin in disguise

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 05:59:28 pm by [~pao~]

GOH

#10  April 11, 2011, 05:55:13 pm
  • Pure radge
    • Portugal
Shattered Memories is not crap.
#11  April 11, 2011, 06:05:28 pm
  • Yo.
i like SH1, i like the story the gameplay especially the part that you play it as a boy lol

Mmm thats disappointing to hear,i never thought shattered memories was crap, besides thetrailer looks pretty good lol

oh i think this one looks pretty nice, anyone tried that?

WAT >:(

Also, Shattered Memories isn't crap, but it ain't a SH either. Same with Homecoming, if only they dropped the "Silent Hill" prefix they would've been above-average horror games. Oh, and Silent Hill: Downpour (the one in the trailer) seems to be total crap, if you want a good horror game Google AMY: Zombie Reflection.

Anyway, the thing about SM is that it isn't your everyday action-survival game, it's more like a psychological thriller, without guns. More scary than Homecoming, not worth a buy, but a rent.

#12  April 11, 2011, 06:07:08 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
I find it hilarious/stupid that the new silent hill might have multiplayer.

GOH

#13  April 11, 2011, 06:09:08 pm
  • Pure radge
    • Portugal
The new story they gave for SH:SM was pretty awesome. It makes up for the lack of combat. Specially the multiple scenarios (sort of) and endings. But yeah, it isn't really SH. It's like a new game.

I would like to see a sequel to 2nd game. But the canon ending is probably the one where James dies so, I'm SOL.
#14  April 11, 2011, 06:20:15 pm
  • Yo.
The new story they gave for SH:SM was pretty awesome. It makes up for the lack of combat. Specially the multiple scenarios (sort of) and endings. But yeah, it isn't really SH. It's like a new game.

I would like to see a sequel to 2nd game. But the canon ending is probably the one where James dies so, I'm SOL.

NEVER, I SAY NEVER! DON'T YOU DARE RUIN THE ~BEST~ SILENT HILL, EVER, OR I'LL FIND YOU, SKIN YOU, RAPE YOUR MUSCLES AND THEN PISS ON YOUR CAT >:(

Really, Konami would probably just hire an indie developer and make James a superhero getting into gunfights with Pyramid Heads, WITH KATANAS.

Canonically it all depends on James, do you really think he has the balls to commit suicide or let Maria go? He's a selfish coward. I think the only possible sequel would be James trying to execute the ritual to revive Mary.

#15  April 11, 2011, 06:23:34 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
Lets hope not.

#16  April 11, 2011, 06:27:09 pm
  • I'm behind you!!!

NEVER, I SAY NEVER! DON'T YOU DARE RUIN THE ~BEST~ SILENT HILL, EVER, OR I'LL FIND YOU, SKIN YOU, RAPE YOUR MUSCLES AND THEN PISS ON YOUR CAT >:([/quote]

isn't that Pyramid Head's job? lol
#17  April 11, 2011, 07:07:16 pm
  • Standby for Slumber
    • USA
I have only played the first Silent Hill, and that was a long time ago.

Although I am interested in picking up a copy.

Is there any for the 360/PC/DS? :<

GOH

#18  April 11, 2011, 07:13:32 pm
  • Pure radge
    • Portugal
SH - PS1
SH2 - PS2, PC
SH3 - PS2, PC
SH4 - PS2, XBOX, PC
SH Origins - PSP, PS2
SH Homecoming - PS3, XBOX360, PC
SH: SM - Wii, PSP, PS2

The rest is Game Boy and Iphone shit.

I think I'll start reading the novels. :ninja:
#19  April 11, 2011, 07:16:45 pm
  • Standby for Slumber
    • USA
SH - PS1
SH2 - PS2, PC
SH3 - PS2, PC
SH4 - PS2, XBOX, PC
SH Origins - PSP, PS2

Righteous. 8y

Now I know what I'm doing this weekend.

DMK

#20  April 11, 2011, 07:49:26 pm
    • USA
SH - PS1
SH2 - PS2, PC
SH3 - PS2, PC
SH4 - PS2, XBOX, PC
SH Origins - PSP, PS2

Don't bother with the comics obviously, pretty bad from what I remember reading.