YesNoOk

best var for temporarily removing chars control input? (Read 3354 times)

Started by Memo, July 27, 2016, 10:46:57 pm
Share this topic:
best var for temporarily removing chars control input?
#1  July 27, 2016, 10:46:57 pm
  • Estoy siempre listo para un desafío.
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
I'm gonna get this unskipable intro stuff completed for my project. I'm redoing some of my code and I'm wondering ( I'm not good with vars) what type of var would be best for removing a chars control input for a custom state before my vs screen pops up. Would a varadd, varset, or varrangeset be best? I have an idea of puting the var in the statedef and then in the -2 to tell it when to turn off. Any ideas and help is appreciated.
Re: best var for temporarily removing chars control input?
#2  July 27, 2016, 11:08:10 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Why would you need a var to do this?

Why not a pause or super pause that automatically is triggered as soon as Roundstate = 0? Have you tried that? If that doesn't work I don't see a var doing it either.
#3  July 27, 2016, 11:19:28 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
Why would you need a var to do this?

Why not a pause or super pause that automatically is triggered as soon as Roundstate = 0? Have you tried that? If that doesn't work I don't see a var doing it either.

I never thought about that I'm bout to experiment with your idea, I was thinking vars because I remember rednavi kofnest conclusion thread he mentioned using cars to completely remove it but he wasn't to in depth with that info
#4  July 27, 2016, 11:24:07 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Did they ever release their work with it?

I mean a var could be used in assisting I suppose. Like maybe add something to all attacks that if var(x) = 0 then no buttons will work.

And var(x) would equal RoundState = 0

But a pause sounds simpler.
Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 11:32:17 pm by Just No Point
#5  July 27, 2016, 11:29:05 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
Did they ever release their work with it?

I mean a var could be used in assisting I suppose. Like maybe add something to all attacks that if var(x) = 0 then no buttons will work.

And var(x) - RoundState = 0

But a pause sounds simpler.

dude I've been waiting for that release or a demo/beta of it for years, I would love to look at his common.def and char files. I'm currently trying the superpause right now ill post more info soon

Jnpedit: accidentally edited this post to fix a mistake in my post. Apologies, restored my mistake in the quote
Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 11:33:26 pm by Just No Point
#6  July 28, 2016, 03:05:10 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
i tride the superpause but no luck, I'm reading that guide again from rednavi and he says to use "universal vars inside your full game"
first I have my chars going straight from statedef 5900 to statedef 0, then from state 0 it goes straight to my new intro state(as recommended by the guide)
I have everything set up in the fight.def how it should be also, now I'm stuck on these vars. vars to me are like trigonometry or however you spell it!
var(x) = 0 char is not ready to start battle is starting intro
var(x) =1 char is ready completed intro
var(x) =2 all chars finished intros and are ready to fight
var(x) =3 ready to fight, all changestates regarding commands are available now

yes its a headach but I'm willing to do whats needed to complete this anybody with knowledge on vars, lets figure this out together and when its working il release a new tutorial for dummies so anyone can do this! come share that knowledge it sucks when only a handful of people know how to do something awesome in mugen and don't want to share secrets or release the project so we can learn from it at least...shit! yea this is getting on my nerves but its GONNA be done 1 way or the other
#7  July 28, 2016, 03:25:54 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
What you are describing isn't var magic though. Post what you tried with the pause code.

Also you can tag @rednavi:
#8  July 28, 2016, 03:39:38 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
Yeah, you have to use a pause outside of a full game. That's what Tamago did with his R. Mika anyway.
#9  July 28, 2016, 03:41:34 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
This is for his full game. He wants to be sure no one can skip the versus screen he has built into the characters. Though I think there is no way to prevent someone skipping on the very 1st tick
#10  July 28, 2016, 03:42:04 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
trigger1 = roundstate < 1
#11  July 28, 2016, 03:43:30 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
That's basically what I told him to try (though mine said RoundState = 0)

That's why I think he should post his code.
#12  July 28, 2016, 03:44:41 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
Yeah, you have to use a pause outside of a full game. That's what Tamago did with his R. Mika anyway.

yea this is for a full game, I got everything coded inside the common.def file, none of these chars will work outside this mugen.
ill try again with a pause and see if I can work something out. ive read that guide a bunch and I'm trying to follow it to the T but
ill try these suggestions, maybe we can find an alternative to vars who knows

What you are describing isn't var magic though. Post what you tried with the pause code.

Also you can tag @rednavi:

I don't have the code no more I tried it and moved on to a different method, I'm going by his guide he didn't use a pause code.
@rednavi: hey red I need some help I'm trying to do the unskippable intro following your old guide I just don't know how I should set up these vars where should I place them? on the statedefs or -2, -3 section?
Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 03:48:07 am by Memo
#13  July 28, 2016, 03:53:25 am
    • USA
Man, I don't remember any of this shit. It's been YEARS since I touched that guide and my coding has improved since then so chances are I used even more shortcuts in my own games.

I can post all the relevant states for what you're trying to do, and they're easy to understand and all that so it's really a matter of copy pasting, but you will definitely need to get your variable handling up to the task if you want this to work.
#14  July 28, 2016, 03:58:46 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
http://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/var-and-fvar-triggers-169438.0.html

Yeah you should post in this thread and allow us to help you understand vars. I have no idea how you have made so many characters with your current var knowledge and I don't mean that in an insulting way at all. Post saying you want to understand vars more in that thread and I'll attempt to help you understand.
#15  July 28, 2016, 04:08:31 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
Man, I don't remember any of this shit. It's been YEARS since I touched that guide and my coding has improved since then so chances are I used even more shortcuts in my own games.

I can post all the relevant states for what you're trying to do, and they're easy to understand and all that so it's really a matter of copy pasting, but you will definitely need to get your variable handling up to the task if you want this to work.

please! ive been trying this for years haha, I'm studying up on vars right now too. I'm determined to get this working correctly.
#16  July 28, 2016, 04:51:19 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
If you want an unskippable vs screen it all has to be coded as part of roundstate = 2, ie the fight portion. The VS screen and the character intros can ALWAYS be skipped, no disabling that. Hardcoded horribleness. That means effectively the vs screen itself has a time of 0, and the preintro and intro states are skipped straight through to 0 with the assertspecial flag for intro not set at all to move it to the fight subphase as soon as possible. THEN your intro kicks in.

Pretty will not apply.

And you don't need a variable at all. It's just ctrl = 0 while whatever the special intro is is playing.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#17  July 28, 2016, 05:38:16 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
hey I kinda have it working now! but in roundstate 3...

in statedef 5900 I have this
[State 5900, ACTIVATE VS SCREEN]
type = changestate
trigger1 = roundstate < 3
value = 0
ctrl = 0

in statedef 0
[State 0, IntroState]
type = ChangeState
;;;trigger1=prevstateno=5900
value=191;9889
ctrl=0

now the only problem I have is it keeps looping forever, I haven't been able to skip the state but I can see that animation mugen plays when you do skip it where the screen fades to black but it wont skip at all, the vs screen plays thru then the intros, after the intros it loops again.
#18  July 28, 2016, 05:58:53 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
[State 0, IntroState]
type = ChangeState
;;;trigger1=prevstateno=5900
value=191;9889
ctrl=0

That's a permanent statechange back to 191 over and over any time you enter 0. You have no other limitations on it. Roundstate 3 is the post fight state, as in, you have KO'ed the opponent. You are activating this while the battle should be in play. The reason you can't skip it is because roundstate = 2 (thats the fighting portion) has started and there isn't any skipping in that.

This is almost what we've already said. You effectively bypass all the intro states and go straight to fight. In fight you detect the previous state, if it's 5900, or an intro state, do your special thing. It will probably still look slightly ugly even if you get it working.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#19  July 28, 2016, 06:21:19 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
if I change it to roundstate < 2 I can skip it, so there is really no way to have mugen just activate that vs screen once from statedef o?
#20  July 28, 2016, 11:34:43 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
Ok I think I found a solution, I bypass state 0 for everything its used for, I just use I for my vs screen and round transitions, mugen doesn't loop the vs screen anymore because I created a new statedef for stand, statedef 1 and once state 0 is done it changes states to 1 Now as long as everything that would go back to state 0 (like pretty much everything) goes to state 1 I'm good to go theres no skipping nada BUT..i have to create custom states for turning, and possibly more states too. That's the only one I know for sure, I'm done for the night I will continue later and find what states I have to code and get it done! @rednavi: This is the part of your tutorial I would skip since I thought it was only usefull for tag team but hey I'm slowly getting some results. Anything you have that you can share with me would be appreciated, I learn alot faster from reading code and seeing how stuff is done, @Just No Point: Lol the only reason I suck at vars is because i usually make a template from a char already created and build of that. I'm not completely lost i know a lil bit but I've never seen vars used this complicated