YesNoOk

Vermilingus is trying to improve (Read 107873 times)

Started by Vermilingus, May 20, 2020, 11:40:36 am
Re: Vermilingus is trying to improve
#21  May 26, 2020, 04:13:46 pm
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
Yes I know the leg looks terrible I don't think I've ever produced a piece of sprite art I've been less confident in, I'm just hoping I could get some more specific feedback than the "it looks bad" I can muster to myself right now. I've spent way too long staring at Vegeta's leg to see what definition I can add without it looking either completely Toriyama or just really dirty while also maintaining the light direction properly.

I hope this isn't something a lot of folks just find instantly easy and natural because wow this is causing me some grief

Nah, it doesn't necessarily get easy. With more experience, you just pick up on your mistakes quicker and can problem-solve efficiently. Additionally, the "it needs work" w/o explaining further can be irritating, but don't let it get to you.

So about the leg, I played around with one of them (I can't goof off for too long in a Zoom class):

One thing that can help you when trying to learn the muscles of the body (or the ones we use in drawing at least) is to break them down into shapes and to think about relation ships between them. Like, for example, you can think of quad muscles as having a sort-of "tear drop" shape to them, and how one sits higher than the other around the knee and that the one that sits lower points inwards, and other things like that.

Another thing that can help you is understanding perspective, it helped me understand how to place objects (and draw muscles) in various distances and angles.

Also, make sure to use a lot of reference (although you mentioned you were looking at Toriyama art, so I guess you got that down). You won't ever get to a point where you'll never need it, but as you level up, you'll memorize things and you won't need to depend on reference too much, giving you the freedom to do whatever you want.
This is a generic forum signature.
#22  May 26, 2020, 05:37:32 pm
  • Bear with me I'm still learning
    • UK
Nah, it doesn't necessarily get easy. With more experience, you just pick up on your mistakes quicker and can problem-solve efficiently. Additionally, the "it needs work" w/o explaining further can be irritating, but don't let it get to you.

So about the leg, I played around with one of them (I can't goof off for too long in a Zoom class):

One thing that can help you when trying to learn the muscles of the body (or the ones we use in drawing at least) is to break them down into shapes and to think about relation ships between them. Like, for example, you can think of quad muscles as having a sort-of "tear drop" shape to them, and how one sits higher than the other around the knee and that the one that sits lower points inwards, and other things like that.

Another thing that can help you is understanding perspective, it helped me understand how to place objects (and draw muscles) in various distances and angles.

Also, make sure to use a lot of reference (although you mentioned you were looking at Toriyama art, so I guess you got that down). You won't ever get to a point where you'll never need it, but as you level up, you'll memorize things and you won't need to depend on reference too much, giving you the freedom to do whatever you want.

Thanks a bunch for the leg tweaks and advice, I'll take a look and try to apply the techniques and muscle structures you've used on that leg to the other, as I did with the torso when eFeX showed me before. I'll also drop into google and stare at even more pictures of people's legs lmao.
#23  May 26, 2020, 05:51:45 pm
  • Spoiler
  • let's bring order to chaos
    • Mexico
    • none
Well, seems like my intention to cheer up was mistaken to be a negative comment, sorry about that.

First of all, you got the torso well, even if you can say you mostly make a mirror of the work already done, maybe you cant see it as an improvement, but believe me, it is, you got the direction and proportion right.

About the "leg definition needs work" I couldnt give a good advice seeing it from my phone, even if you can zoom in, it gets all blurry, but I was able to see it lacked definition, now I can see it was the shadow removal and the amount of light source in it compared to the previous sketch and arms (at least imo) that makes it looks plain, so as an advice for now use the 2 ideas the other spriters have draw for you.

Avoid adding 2 or 3 pixels lines if not necesary, and try to use more large pixel curved lines as Hatter added to the left leg, maybe Im wrong but seems like you wanted to replicate the same shadow style of the arm on the leg, and maybe thats why it doesnt work well, they have different shapes and proportions.

Adding to that, I think the left leg from Hatter is too big, its well drawn but too big, maybe its just me but the sketch guy doesnt seem to be super muscular, just above average.

Keep practicing, its really hard to do sprites from scracth, and for your first attempts you are doing well.
            Zorf Giudecca
#24  May 26, 2020, 06:02:36 pm
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
Adding to that, I think the left leg from Hatter is too big, its well drawn but too big, maybe its just me but the sketch guy doesnt seem to be super muscular, just above average.

That's fair, I was in a zoom class doing this so I probably should've payed more attention.
This is a generic forum signature.
#25  May 26, 2020, 06:08:48 pm
    • UK
Well, seems like my intention to cheer up was mistaken to be a negative comment, sorry about that.

First of all, you got the torso well, even if you can say you mostly make a mirror of the work already done, maybe you cant see it as an improvement, but believe me, it is, you got the direction and proportion right.

About the "leg definition needs work" I couldnt give a good advice seeing it from my phone, even if you can zoom in, it gets all blurry, but I was able to see it lacked definition, now I can see it was the shadow removal and the amount of light source in it compared to the previous sketch and arms (at least imo) that makes it looks plain, so as an advice for now use the 2 ideas the other spriters have draw for you.

Avoid adding 2 or 3 pixels lines if not necesary, and try to use more large pixel curved lines as Hatter added to the left leg, maybe Im wrong but seems like you wanted to replicate the same shadow style of the arm on the leg, and maybe thats why it doesnt work well, they have different shapes and proportions.

Keep practicing, its really hard to do sprites from scracth, and for your first attempts you are doing well.

Thanks, and don't worry about it, I just get a little frustrated at times when I get passionate lmao
#26  May 26, 2020, 06:12:07 pm
  • Spoiler
    • Mexico
    • none
Here, a bit of edit to the leg and also arrows to point what I think doesnt work and what I think you should try.

https://ibb.co/r3jrYyn

Hope that helps.

EDIT: About sources, seems like you are doing a semi CVS style, so maybe some CVS characters can help you, maybe even MvC2 chars, just to have an idea on how to do some muscles.
            Zorf Giudecca
Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 06:52:42 pm by NiO ErZeBeTh
#27  May 26, 2020, 07:20:45 pm
    • UK

Is this an improvement at all?
I've tweaked the leg on the right, messed around with the feet a little and tried to add a little definition to the arms
#28  May 28, 2020, 10:47:32 am
    • UK

I think that right leg has improved quite a bit actually, right arm has more definition too, I think it's a step in the right direction at least. What do you guys think?
#29  May 28, 2020, 06:13:27 pm
  • Spoiler
    • Mexico
    • none
I like the arm more, but the leg has problems imo.

Mostly the knee, too rounded.

And I think the lights in the lower muscle arent needed.
            Zorf Giudecca
Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 07:21:48 pm by NiO ErZeBeTh
#30  May 29, 2020, 03:21:21 pm
    • UK
#31  August 19, 2020, 04:33:50 pm
    • UK

Back at it again
I have been spriting while I've been gone, just working a lil' bit on my own
Still not quite confident yet, definitely not doing my own lineart fully but hopefully can say I'm starting to improve my general technique a little bit
What do you guys think?

Not completely sold on the folds ngl, folds are hard
I think I might've lost the lighting direction somewhere in the legs too
#32  August 19, 2020, 09:22:21 pm
  • SNK is life
The shapes are solid. Maybe it just needs a bit of antialiasing. Check this out:

#33  August 19, 2020, 10:42:41 pm
    • USA
Just wanted to say I'm also learning and your stuff is looking really great! You're inspiring me not to give up too easily and know that I'm not alone so, thank you! :) Can't wait to see more from you!
#34  August 20, 2020, 03:00:21 pm
    • UK
The shapes are solid. Maybe it just needs a bit of antialiasing. Check this out:

Thanks, that does look a lot better, I see you've improved the shading on the hair a little bit as well. I still need to spend time working on hair, adding depth to it takes a little while, I didn't realise I had colours left over; I'd accidentally left Force Black and White on when I did my colour check in index mode (yes I use photoshop for my sprites)

Just wanted to say I'm also learning and your stuff is looking really great! You're inspiring me not to give up too easily and know that I'm not alone so, thank you! :) Can't wait to see more from you!

Thanks my dood! It's always nice to have other learners around. Looking at what you're doing you're not using existing lineart as a base for some of yours, which is WAY harder so props for that
Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 03:24:03 pm by Vermilingus
#35  August 21, 2020, 07:05:49 pm
    • UK
Trying to do one sprite a day, I know it's not necessarily as good a plan as working on each sprite at a time until a mirror shine, but hopefully each one will build on the last

Will try to post my dailies if I remember, gonna be trying a variety of styles as I do so
#36  August 22, 2020, 04:01:38 pm
    • UK
Today's daily

Fairly happy with how it turned out, eyes were kinda tricky this time, so was the chain on the leg. Could probably still improve that chain tbf
#37  August 23, 2020, 10:45:00 am
    • UK

New day, new daily
Not 100% on the clothing on this one, but actually happy with the hands for once.
Mouth a little weird too
#38  August 25, 2020, 12:58:44 pm
    • UK

Today's daily sprite goes out to those former Lab Zero employees who stood up against Mike Z's bullshit even if it meant their jobs
Here's a song for ya
#39  August 26, 2020, 05:33:15 pm
    • UK

Today's daily
Very difficult one this, lots of fine detail
#40  August 27, 2020, 09:15:36 am
  • Spoiler
    • Mexico
    • none
That last one is pretty good, a lot of improvement.
            Zorf Giudecca