YesNoOk

Jmorphman's WIP thread: Project S.H.I.N.(go): Shingo Beta out! (Read 2441574 times)

Started by Jmorphman, November 01, 2010, 09:13:43 pm
Share this topic:

Poll

Got a light?

This is the water
81 (25.2%)
And this is the well
77 (24%)
Drink full, and descend
33 (10.3%)
The horse is the white of the eye
37 (11.5%)
And the dark within
52 (16.2%)
This is the water
41 (12.8%)
And this is the well
0 (0%)
Drink full, and descend
0 (0%)
The horse is the white of the eye
0 (0%)
And the dark within
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 318

Re: Jmorphman's WIP thread: Project S.H.I.N.(go)
#6421  July 01, 2022, 12:51:08 pm
Ahh, the BBH fiasco, those were the days :D

Edit:

I might as well do my thing.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 12:57:55 pm by PeXXeR
#6422  July 02, 2022, 11:03:12 pm
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman

Shingo is still currently in progress; I've finished all his sprites, and also updated Kyo in order to fix hitbox and velocity errors (these stem from a miscalculation in the CheatEngine script that grabs data from CvS2). Now that Kyo is all fixed, he can be used as a base to actually code Shingo. I'm currently finishing up the animations and hitboxes and from there it'll be the actual "coding" part, which is pretty simple, because Shingo and Kyo share so much in common.

I've also been experimenting with some stuff; originally I wanted Shingo to flip forward after hitting the ground, so he'd go back to his normal faceup liedown, but I haven't been able to get that to look good at all. So I'm just going to add facedown liedown. And so Shingo will uniquely be the only character of mine to have both a face up and face down liedown.

I just have to edit a few Kyo frames to get this all to work, but it is quite difficult for me, so if anyone could lend a hand, I'd really appreciate it.
#6423  July 02, 2022, 11:28:37 pm
Looking good, sound effect is spot on when hit hits his face on the ground.

#6424  July 02, 2022, 11:30:45 pm
    • USA
None of that is final, his voice is even still Kyo's! And the missing comedic pratfall sound is sorely missed, but it'll be in the final version!
#6425  July 03, 2022, 03:19:26 am
  • MUGEN MEMES
 :yuno:
Emerie's MUGEN Content

Everyone have Greatness :)

Don't give up... just... take a break :(
#6426  July 03, 2022, 03:40:06 am
None of that is final, his voice is even still Kyo's! And the missing comedic pratfall sound is sorely missed, but it'll be in the final version!

Don't you think im aware its actually Kyo's voice after all the back and forth we had on stances, hypers etc :P
While you're at it with Kyo, stop being boring and actually give him his cool neomax instead of that boring grab whatever :P

Correct me if I am wrong but both Kyo and Ex Kyo have the same level 3 with the convoluted command and the pitiful grab distance, it is time Jman :D

https://youtu.be/fy0CzdTb4fg?t=50

I mentioned the sound effect cause I really think it fits, wasn't it from a throw or something ?
You are right, he is missing that comedic sound when he's falling, that will be the cherry on top.
Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 04:01:30 am by PeXXeR
#6427  July 04, 2022, 03:46:21 am
    • USA
#6428  July 04, 2022, 08:04:38 am
#6429  July 04, 2022, 08:45:13 am
  • "Forgeddaboudit"
  • Squawkabilly
    • Romania
    • wf4123.neocities.org
#6430  July 14, 2022, 09:54:54 pm
    • USA
Troy went back and touched up a few anims to make them more consistent:

I really love Shingo's revised face here, it fits the mood so well. This spriteset has quite a few moments where Shingo's face becomes a lot more cartoony than his usual expression/sprite style, and now I honestly feel like the original KOF sprites are lacking for not doing the same!
#6431  July 14, 2022, 10:12:22 pm
  • Master Relic Tech
  • Screenpack Maker EX
This looks superbly good, in my opinion. What other sprites, will you have revised. Look forward to seeing him, in action one day. Keep pushing the ladder up my friend.
#6432  July 14, 2022, 10:32:06 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...

I really love Shingo's revised face here, it fits the mood so well. This spriteset has quite a few moments where Shingo's face becomes a lot more cartoony than his usual expression/sprite style, and now I honestly feel like the original KOF sprites are lacking for not doing the same!

Very professional
Such a work sprite combined with your skills for coding will make incredible results!
#6433  July 14, 2022, 10:43:12 pm
  • "Forgeddaboudit"
  • Squawkabilly
    • Romania
    • wf4123.neocities.org

Neat work.
#6434  July 14, 2022, 10:48:06 pm
    • USA
#6435  July 22, 2022, 05:36:40 pm
    • USA
Here is a concept for the special intro vs Sakura I plan to add:

Nothing here is final, I might decide on something else, but I think this would work pretty well.

I've been otherwise finishing up sorting through his various voice rips; I even figured out how to rip from Dreamcast games so that I could get rips of KOF 1999. No, not the first game in the NESTS saga, I'm of course talking about The King of Fighters: Dream Match 1999. Yes, Dreamcast has two games named KOF 99.

Anyways, I ripped those voices because they're much higher quality than the compressed and tinny-sounding sounds used in the Neo Geo versions. It's unfortunate that SNK didn't use any of the higher quality recordings featured in the console ports of this era for the UM games, but it's likely that they simply lost that data.

The 98 rips will be the primary source I'll be drawing voices from, but I'll also naturally have to use stuff from other games for moves/winposes/etc. that Shingo didn't have yet in 98. This lead me to checking out rips from KOF All Star (since Takehito Koyasu—Shingo's VA—is one of the very few VAs who was not purged and replaced by nuSNK for games starting with KOF XIV), and I found a really cool voice sample that is a really nice showcase of Koyasu's range.

I'd love to find some way to use it, but I don't actually know what he's saying, and there are unfortunately no translations of All Star dialogue that I could find. If anyone happens to be able to translate it, I'd really appreciate it.

And on the topic of translation: did you know that Shingo has a bunch of references to mecha anime in his voice lines, beginning with KOF 99? I was able to recognize a few obvious ones, but I'm like 99% sure a few of his other voice lines are references to... something. I just don't know what. I'm planning on doing something a little special to celebrate these references in the character, so I want to make sure I'm getting everything.

winpose where he starts singing, KOF 2000 said:
拳にやどた、命の炎が...あいて、まだ終わってないて!
Kobushi ni yado ta, Inochi no honoo wo ga... Aite, mada owatenai te!
"The flame of life, enchanted by my fist... Wait, it's not over yet!"

winpose where he starts singing, KOF 2001 version said:
赤、青、黄色、紫の、拳にやどだ...あ、まだだのに。
Aka, ao, ki iro, murasaki no, kobushi ni yado ta, a, mada da no ni.
"Red, blue, yellow and purple, enchanted by my fists... Ah, not yet."
These are all sourced from the SNK wiki, and as such can't be relied upon as exact, correct transcriptions of the dialogue. An additional point of difficulty is that for the quotes I was able to recognize, Shingo's rendition is not 100% accurate to the original quote (for example, his NESTS saga taunt has him quoting First Gundam's famous "Brightslap" scene, but Shingo says "not even my parents ever hit me!", where Amuro instead says "not even my father ever hit me!").

These two reasons made it pretty impossible to just Google the phrase and do some digging, but hopefully someone out there is able to recognize what the two remaining things are quotes of. If they even are quoting something...
#6436  July 22, 2022, 05:59:47 pm
  • MUGEN MEMES
 :shocked2:
Emerie's MUGEN Content

Everyone have Greatness :)

Don't give up... just... take a break :(
#6437  July 22, 2022, 06:47:25 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
Here is a concept for the special intro vs Sakura I plan to add:

Nothing here is final, I might decide on something else, but I think this would work pretty well.

I've been otherwise finishing up sorting through his various voice rips; I even figured out how to rip from Dreamcast games so that I could get rips of KOF 1999. No, not the first game in the NESTS saga, I'm of course talking about The King of Fighters: Dream Match 1999. Yes, Dreamcast has two games named KOF 99.

Anyways, I ripped those voices because they're much higher quality than the compressed and tinny-sounding sounds used in the Neo Geo versions. It's unfortunate that SNK didn't use any of the higher quality recordings featured in the console ports of this era for the UM games, but it's likely that they simply lost that data.

The 98 rips will be the primary source I'll be drawing voices from, but I'll also naturally have to use stuff from other games for moves/winposes/etc. that Shingo didn't have yet in 98. This lead me to checking out rips from KOF All Star (since Takehito Koyasu—Shingo's VA—is one of the very few VAs who was not purged and replaced by nuSNK for games starting with KOF XIV), and I found a really cool voice sample that is a really nice showcase of Koyasu's range.

I'd love to find some way to use it, but I don't actually know what he's saying, and there are unfortunately no translations of All Star dialogue that I could find. If anyone happens to be able to translate it, I'd really appreciate it.

And on the topic of translation: did you know that Shingo has a bunch of references to mecha anime in his voice lines, beginning with KOF 99? I was able to recognize a few obvious ones, but I'm like 99% sure a few of his other voice lines are references to... something. I just don't know what. I'm planning on doing something a little special to celebrate these references in the character, so I want to make sure I'm getting everything.

winpose where he starts singing, KOF 2000 said:
拳にやどた、命の炎が...あいて、まだ終わってないて!
Kobushi ni yado ta, Inochi no honoo wo ga... Aite, mada owatenai te!
"The flame of life, enchanted by my fist... Wait, it's not over yet!"

winpose where he starts singing, KOF 2001 version said:
赤、青、黄色、紫の、拳にやどだ...あ、まだだのに。
Aka, ao, ki iro, murasaki no, kobushi ni yado ta, a, mada da no ni.
"Red, blue, yellow and purple, enchanted by my fists... Ah, not yet."
These are all sourced from the SNK wiki, and as such can't be relied upon as exact, correct transcriptions of the dialogue. An additional point of difficulty is that for the quotes I was able to recognize, Shingo's rendition is not 100% accurate to the original quote (for example, his NESTS saga taunt has him quoting First Gundam's famous "Brightslap" scene, but Shingo says "not even my parents ever hit me!", where Amuro instead says "not even my father ever hit me!").

These two reasons made it pretty impossible to just Google the phrase and do some digging, but hopefully someone out there is able to recognize what the two remaining things are quotes of. If they even are quoting something...

I absolutely love all of that!

I liked 2000 song particularly... with my almost inexistant understanding of japanese language it always sounded like :
A song about the way of fighter/fighting... (because of "kobushi ni") then blablabla. then It's not finished yet (because of the "mada da" part)

Again, this version of Shingo looks more and more complete than ever...
#6438  July 24, 2022, 12:02:28 am
    • USA

I absolutely love all of that!

I liked 2000 song particularly... with my almost inexistant understanding of japanese language it always sounded like :
A song about the way of fighter/fighting... (because of "kobushi ni") then blablabla. then It's not finished yet (because of the "mada da" part)

Again, this version of Shingo looks more and more complete than ever...
Yup; I'm like 99% sure that both the 2000 and 2001 winposes are him singing lyrics to various anime OPs and/or EDs. I'm just not sure what they might be.
#6439  July 24, 2022, 01:25:34 am
  • A.K.A. NED
Yup; I'm like 99% sure that both the 2000 and 2001 winposes are him singing lyrics to various anime OPs and/or EDs. I'm just not sure what they might be.

Nice! It gives Shingo some Geeky/fanboy of classic anime.
I kind of like this detail :)
#6440  July 25, 2022, 05:16:45 am
    • sites.google.com/view/mugenmultiverse