YesNoOk

PC gaming is dying/dead (Read 7901 times)

Started by K.O.D, January 25, 2008, 06:10:06 pm
Share this topic:
PC gaming is dying/dead
#1  January 25, 2008, 06:10:06 pm
  • what a shame
    • Iran
Read this Gamespot thread Clicky

For those lazy to access gamespot,thread post by GodLovesDead.
1996-2004 were the times to be a PC Gamer. You had Diablo, Starcraft, Diablo 2, Brood Wars, Half-Life, Counter-Strike, Everquest, Ultima Online, Duke Nukem 3D, MechWarrior, Command and Conquer, Daggerfall, Alien VS Predator, Fall Out, Worms, Unreal Tournament, etc. I could probably name 50+ games before I'd have to really start thinking. These games were innovative, fun, and classic. Piracy was low. Internet was cheap. All you needed was a 56k connection and you were set. Computers were cheap and hardware wasn't exactly something you had to consider before purchasing a game. All you needed was a "3D Graphics Accelerator" and you were set.

Console weren't doing too bad either. Super Mario 64, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Resident Evil, etc.

But then everything went downhill. Graphics became the number #1 concern of the gaming industry. Innovation? "Who needs that?". Orginality? "Peh!". Games were great because they were original, innovative, and they didn't care all too much about keeping every satisified. Developers today want cash. It's all they want. Everquest had unique factions, and unique races. Unique classes too. WoW on the other hand has identical races and mirrored factions. Everything in the game is mirrored and "balanced". Blizzard is so afraid of giving someone a hard time that they'll take away from the game just to make sure the 10 year olds can have fun too.

Fun used to be cheap. A game lasted me months. Some even lasted me years. In this day and age, I'll be lucky if a game lasts me two weeks. My system costs a load of money. Games cost a lot of money. Internet costs a lot of money. I almost don't blame pirates for downloading their games. My stance on Game Piracy and Music Piracy are similar. If the developers made better games, more people will buy them. But instead, game developers are quick to blame pirates. Pirates weed out the weak game developers who clearly have nothing better to do than spend more money on graphics instead of focusing on good gameplay.

Now who's to blame? Time. Time is to blame. It's too hard to play the classics anymore. What's the point now anyways? We've all played them. Besides, every game today is based on those classics so you'll always be playing them in one way or another. But that's where my point lies. Everything is rehashed. Graphics are more important than gameplay. Not only that, but we're all older now. Videogames are losing their appeal. But then why do I keep coming back to older games? Is it due to nostalgia, or is it because they truly are better? Who knows.

PC Gaming today isn't what it used to be. PC Gaming today is console gaming, except with a keyboard, mouse, and expensive PC Rigs. There hasn't been many notable games that have come out in recent times. Half-Life 2 was cool. KOTOR was great. Stalker was decent. The Witcher was a good attempt. But the time of Starcraft and Half-Life is gone.

Anyone else feel like PC Gaming is wiltering?

I have exactly the same thoughts as this guy,i remember back then (1999-2002) when kids who played computer games were not retarded as the newer generation now (10-13 year olds starting gaming during 2006-2008) while i was 8 years old when i started gaming and played alot of old classics like Deus Ex,Operation Flashpoint,Half-Life,Starcraft,Unreal Tournament 99',etc. and really enjoyed those games which i played for more than 2 months as opposed to now where a single two-dvd overhyped game gets uninstalled after 4 days.

(btw,i played violent games back when i was 8 and i have not turned into a homicidal serial rapist because i knew the difference between games and reality)

Those games were FUN unlike the newer games which are extremely piss poor in gameplay and only focus on graphics and shitting out sequel after sequel to please the newer retarded console gen (x360 and ps3,older consoles were great,i owned a ps2,n64,snes,genesis)

I didn't have to worry about the system requirements back then since anything played on my (old) cheap and powerful PC (according to those times,of course)

Another thing that really bugs me is the argument that console owners say to me : "LOLZ U HAVE TO UPGRADE JOO PC EVERY YEARZ WHILE I CAN PLAY ANYTHIGNZ ON MA CONSOLE WITHOUT UPGRADING IT"

That argument is flawed,since i own a 4 year old PC that can run any of the newer games at medium settings,i don't care for OMG HIGH GWAFIX,i just wanna play and have fun.

And the final nail in the coffin is ONLINE DISTRIBUTION

No,its not a great thing for us who have a 128 kb/s connection and majority of the gamers in iran and india have the same connection as i have (there is a huge population of gamers here) and we hate steam,infact,estimated 80% of the people in these sort of country's resorted to pirating half-life 2 because they can't download/activate 4gb's of files with this sort of crappy connection.

(Note : We do buy original games in retail,but those sold on the net get pirated,and we are not a minority)

Lets not forget the fact that PC and console games in those days were released without any major bugs since net connection back then was too slow to download updates and so the games were tested throughly,now that everyone in europe and america has a fast connection,the developers get lazy and decide to release a buggy piece of crap and decide to update it later on with 10+ patches which are more than 400+ mb.

Abandonding the Original fanbase over New retarded fanbase is ethically wrong,but i guess they don't care as long as they get the $$$.

One more thing :

Gameplay + Optimized Graphics > Graphics .
Re: PC gaming is dying/dead
#2  January 25, 2008, 06:39:00 pm
  • Just a butcher on a mission
    • www.justnopoint.com/lbends
I could rewrite that slightly to argue that console games are dying out.

There is a complete lack of innovation across the gaming industry as a whole.
The Simpsons
#3  January 25, 2008, 06:40:59 pm
  • SNK is life
But... what else is there to be invented?

After 2 Decades of gaming mostly everything has already been done before.
#4  January 25, 2008, 07:17:01 pm
    • Philippines
    • https://web.archive.org/web/20181226221429/http://moogen.piiym.net/
I never even noticed anything. People should know that you can only go so far when technology limits you.

Also, Spore. Wait for it.
#5  January 25, 2008, 07:35:56 pm
  • what a shame
    • Iran
#6  January 25, 2008, 09:52:20 pm
  • Bounty Hunting.....FOR PROFIT!
I say gaming in general is hitting a plateau. This is due to lack of programmers/programming teams making engines that are specific to a game or game type.

When you consider the frequency of crappy games that have been released every console generation it is obivous that game companies are looking for the quick way to get things done. And thus there has been more focus on quantity than quality.

Because you cannot tell me that anything significant has changed in a game like tony hawk when you consider the first game to the last. Yes new things added to them but: the base engine? It is the longest repeat and the best example of this.

I don't see games getting any better until more tools and software has been made to replace an entorage of programmers.
#7  January 25, 2008, 10:18:46 pm
  • I'm already Tracer
    • Canada
crap. so basically, we have to wait til a new generation of gamers advances to the level of coding...then go nuts!

i agree with the games you said, old school is the greatest, plus, if you play starcraft/age of empires II, you'll realize how much time you can play pc games and NOT get bored:)
especially if you have like 8 players playing one game MMO ftw!

OZ

#8  January 25, 2008, 10:26:16 pm
  • ಠ_ಠ
If you want old school, think Simcity.
That is oldschool.

Stuff like Simcity used to keep me occupied for hours on end.
I'd probably still play it if I had it.
ಠ_ಠ
#9  January 25, 2008, 10:31:45 pm
  • Whoever cares to learn will always find a teacher.
    • shindoh.deviantart.com/
I felt the same recently, however did I not think exactly the same way.
What about the Wii?

I think Nintendo made a good step into the right direction, I find Wii to be quite innovative (the concept and the idea alone already), it´s a first step into Virtual Reality and did Nintendo ever focus on graphics too much or was it gameplay?

Look at all the games that came from Nintendo.

I can only speak for console gaming though, as I´ve never really enjoyed playing any PC game, apart of MUGEN.  ;)
~A closed mind is like a closed book; just a block of wood.~

http://shindoh.deviantart.com/
#10  January 25, 2008, 10:36:57 pm
crap. so basically, we have to wait til a new generation of gamers advances to the level of coding...then go nuts!

i agree with the games you said, old school is the greatest, plus, if you play starcraft/age of empires II, you'll realize how much time you can play pc games and NOT get bored:)
especially if you have like 8 players playing one game MMO ftw!

Don't get discouraged because if there are the resources then a game can be made well. The thing is that they cater to their demand (you know, supply and demand). If the next gen players focs less on gameplay and more on graphics, then they will release more games that have damn good graphics and utterly shitty gameplay. Because after all the demand has never changed: we want a game now, not yesterday.

A really good game is one that has had alot of work put into it, has been tested by the programmers, has been tested by the players, and they just cut out anything unnecessary.

If you really want to blame something on the decline of gaming I would say your culprit is the masses. After all that is what these companies make for. The masses supply the hype to a game and set standards for the followers to abide by.

For example, have any of you played Urban Reign? That game is very fun yet noone has heard of it. Once you play it, you'll wonder why lesser games have gotten such recognition. But you know why? Because they have been hyped and Urban reign has not.

In short, I say the masses are the beginning and end for gaming in general.
#11  January 25, 2008, 10:37:23 pm
  • corner push pusher
I can't really comment on this topic, since I've never really played a lot of PC-specific games.

That is oldschool.

:-X SimCity and all the Commander Keen games was, and still is, the only PC games I've ever played. I know.....I've missed out.
#12  January 25, 2008, 10:46:42 pm
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
I agree the Wii is a new lease on something that's stagnating. But only in company. It's a 2 people in the same room thing. I couldn't play it by myself. There has to be someone watching, or playing alongside me. The driving idea behind it is solid and as far as i can tell pretty much everyone even non gamers like it because you don't feel so much like you're playing a game.

Last new game i bought for my PC was Warcraft 3. I do not plan to purchase anything else until Starcraft 2 comes out (hey i'm a blizzard fan) In general though, my games are pretty oldschool I LOVE DOS games. DOS games kick ass. There's so much to them. They have excellent replay value.

OMF 2097, not only did i not get bored of that until about a year after completing heavy metal tourney with every single bot maxed to full stats, i can still play it now and have fun. Unlike warcraft 3 oddly enough which i have got bored of.

I think the other media that does decent games is the handhelds. DS has some excellent stuff on it. It's merger with Sega should bring in some good stuff too. PSP i consider more of a portable media device, they're trying for too many "flashy" games there. Sony fails.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#13  January 25, 2008, 10:50:30 pm
  • I made it up for a videogame.
I think that a good game in general has a simple system that's easy to pick up, and easy to suceed with, but has a more complex system hidden within, that more experienced players can exploit to acheive mastery over the game.

Yeah, that's been said a lot of the time, but look at, say, Crash Team Racing. Sure, you can win just by steering through the track, unleashing powerups whenever you can, but when you realise the permanent turbo aspects of powersliding, you can leave the competition in your dust.

Oh, and one thing that all online games should have, when they consider something so sinister as text-based communication, as a must:

AUTO SPELLCHECK.
What's the good of phenomenal cosmic power if you can't blow something up?

OZ

#14  January 25, 2008, 10:57:00 pm
  • ಠ_ಠ
DS has some excellent stuff on it. It's merger with Sega should bring in some good stuff too.

I agree.
The DS really took me off guard.
The game selection is suprisingly refreshing.
It brought back my faith in handheld consoles.
ಠ_ಠ
#15  January 25, 2008, 11:02:57 pm
  • Just a butcher on a mission
    • www.justnopoint.com/lbends
I can't really comment on this topic, since I've never really played a lot of PC-specific games.

That is oldschool.

:-X SimCity and all the Commander Keen games was, and still is, the only PC games I've ever played. I know.....I've missed out.
Nope, you're fine.
#16  January 25, 2008, 11:12:03 pm
  • Fanatic.Mugen.NewsMaker Call.me.Maniac.in.short!
    • fanaticmugen.free.fr/
Ah... Nostalgia... :tired:
CTR and CB3:Warped were my favourite games.
And, to tell you the truth ,they still are.
The real game challenge was not just beating the bosses,
but to collect all the crystals, (colour) gems and (platinum) relics.
Doing that you could see new challenges, new endings, and much more...
These games took me over one year to complete.
So, what's the thing that makes us to really like a game?
Well, I believe:
1)The ability to choose between
__a)just playing through the game, feeling that you completed,
__b)playing every little (hard and time-wasting, IMO) challenge the game provides you.
2)Super awards that you would acquire with the challenges you completed.
3)Tokens, coins, crystals, gems, gold and anything else I forgot that we should pick up to fully complete a stage.

To sum up, what makes a game interesting, IMO, is its durance and its challenges. ;)

Also, in the past, developers were based on these.
Know, they're based in the graphics.
#17  January 26, 2008, 12:52:14 am
  • If only I had my rainbow star back -_-
    • www.myspace.com/honest_luke
Actually IMO, the PC gaming thing is alive and kicking. There are still so many people that play games like starcraft and diablo 2. Hell, I think I'll play Diablo 2 lol
It's true that if you own a PS3 then all arguments made by those who don't have one are invalid.
#18  January 26, 2008, 01:16:48 am
    • Philippines
    • https://web.archive.org/web/20181226221429/http://moogen.piiym.net/
Heh, there are still people addicted to Diablo 2 here.
#19  January 26, 2008, 01:26:56 am
  • mirror, mirror...
    • www.poland.pl/
well...sounds...nice a bit...anyway I like starcraft and diablo 2...and I love DOOM series...and see to some people play emulator games with 9999 credits is bored an sux...
dying? maybe because they forgot the 2d (in many cases)....
Except mugen...and some emu games..
..Arcade times will be back ... :sugoi:
-I hate haters and S.o.S chars.....
-time to migrate from winmugen...
Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 01:31:25 am by DoDA
#20  January 26, 2008, 01:28:51 am
IMO they never left.

Neogeoland and gameworks are my fave places.