YesNoOk

Firefox trouble. (Read 4890 times)

Started by ( ゚ o゚) It's Urza!, October 19, 2007, 08:35:47 pm
Share this topic:
Firefox trouble.
#1  October 19, 2007, 08:35:47 pm
  • Yume De Aetara fanboy of the highest caliber!
    • www.esnips.com/user/urzaspalettes
I restarted my computer after the power went out.
Once it rebooted I found out that all of my bookmarks in Firefox are now gone.
Even more troublesome is that now every time I open it, all of the toolbars I disabled keep reappearing.

Ecchi, it calls to me...
Re: Firefox trouble.
#2  October 19, 2007, 11:41:28 pm
  • In after lock
    • mugenguild.com/~messatsu/index.html
File corrupted by having the bookmark file being manipulated at the same time as the power outage??  Look to see where on the HDD bookmarks are stored in Firefox (I don't know).

Many people risk their lives everyday by having Mugen.
#3  October 19, 2007, 11:44:56 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
yeah, firefox is very weak to power outtages. i can't really help much since i use linkstash to organize my bookmarks, and even before that i always keep backups of them.
Re: But are they worth recovering?
#4  October 20, 2007, 12:16:50 am
  • Tends to lose track of things a lot. :/
    • www.mugenguild.com/~winane/
If you're using Windows XP, then you should be able to find Firefox's bookmarks here:
C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\********.default\
In that folder, Firefox keeps your current bookmarks file (bookmarks.html) and a backup copy of that file (bookmarks.bak).
In addition, there should be a subfolder there named "bookmarkbackups", where Firefox keeps several recent daily backups of your bookmarks file.  So, just figure out which one of those is the most recent non-corrupt one, and use it to replace bookmarks.html in the parent directory.  And save a backup copy somewhere else, while you're at it.

As for the other problem, maybe reinstalling Firefox would help.  New version came out yesterday anyway.
Still quite busy.

(Yes, I intend to deal with that stuff eventually, but kinda can't just yet, sorry. :/ )
#5  October 20, 2007, 05:34:15 am
    • Germany
you could also use opera. I have never experienced a loss of bookmarks, not even open tabs ;)
#6  October 20, 2007, 08:09:46 am
  • Yume De Aetara fanboy of the highest caliber!
    • www.esnips.com/user/urzaspalettes

Ecchi, it calls to me...
#7  October 20, 2007, 08:24:21 am
    • Peru
#8  October 20, 2007, 04:05:40 pm
    • Germany
It's always me. :P

Opera eats memory like there's no tomorrow.

It does evidently use slightly more memory, that's right. And you care... why? Does your RAM usage ever go above 80% while you aren't doing any really resource-intensive stuff, like gaming? Unless you have 512 or less, the ram usage of applications is hardly an issue nowadays, besides windows' memory and swap managment has become quite acceptable with the years :P

Ah well. Not going to argue much here, just sayin'. :)
#9  October 20, 2007, 04:55:57 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
actually, apps like firefox and opera are built on the idea that unused ram is wasted ram, so they eat ram on purpose, after all, not many of us use critical applications while browsing the web.
#10  October 20, 2007, 10:55:32 pm
    • Peru
It's funny, I switched to Opera because -for me- it seems like Firefox is the resource hog biatch.
#11  October 22, 2007, 09:23:28 am
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
#12  October 22, 2007, 03:24:31 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
but, does it really has any negative effects ? i have got firefox using over 500 mbs of ram (ona 1 gb machine), and it does not affect the performance at all.
#13  October 22, 2007, 03:38:23 pm
  • what a shame
    • Iran
Recently,Firefox started crashing whenever opening some specific websites (GamingW,for example),so i had to switch to Opera.

Still crashes after updating,disabled all plugins,flash player,etc. but still doesn't work.

Opera is pretty good,but it's widgets are nowhere near as good as firefox plugins,and it runs faster than firefox,although it does use more ram o_O

#14  October 22, 2007, 04:33:47 pm
Yeah, that's something weird too. Opera uses about 80,000-120,000 memory, and Firefox around 40,000-60,000 most of the time. But thing is Opera seems to be faster. Which why  is apparently a complete mystery to me.

I like both, and use both though, so I'm not complaining either way. I just use one or the other depending on which sites won't work properly on the respective browsers.
#15  October 22, 2007, 06:48:45 pm
    • Germany
Yeah, that's something weird too. Opera uses about 80,000-120,000 memory, and Firefox around 40,000-60,000 most of the time. But thing is Opera seems to be faster. Which why  is apparently a complete mystery to me.

...completely different rendering engine? :P

Opera is pretty good,but it's widgets are nowhere near as good as firefox plugins,and it runs faster than firefox,although it does use more ram o_O

Widgets are completely useless, yes. However, most of the stuff people use as extensions in FF is already in Opera, and Opera is compatible to FF plugins, and Greasemonkey scripts.

From a developer perspective, (imvho) Opera has better to work with w3c compliance and does not unnecessarily nag about some errors like FF does (for example, in FF a XMLHttpRequest fails if the header data returns "text/html" instead of "text/xml" as content-type... duh. >_>), however Firebug is great and the Opera Dev Tools are seriously lacking (yet).

But they are both good, it's mostly a matter of taste nowadays. :)
#16  October 23, 2007, 01:18:19 am
  • In after lock
    • mugenguild.com/~messatsu/index.html
I don't like Firefox since it's derived from Netscape... who were a bunch of punk bitches. >:D  I very much disapprove of Linux distros installing that browser as default.

Many people risk their lives everyday by having Mugen.
#17  October 23, 2007, 03:55:46 am
  • チョンリサ
    • Canada

Someone asplain.
you can't mixup a blind man, and you can't out think a brick ~skisonic
Street fighting is all about analysis, prediction, and reaction. That's it.

#18  October 23, 2007, 04:00:29 am
    • Germany
photoshop 25MB? opera 10MB? epsxe 11MB? you have a weird computer.

my opera is at 430MB right now :P
#19  October 23, 2007, 04:05:50 am
    • Peru
Thats biased. We don't know how many tabs are open in each browser. ::)
#20  October 23, 2007, 06:26:32 am
  • Notorious Procrastinator
  • Proudly banned from /r/mugen
    • USA
You probably have it to automatic.

#21  October 23, 2007, 09:41:09 am
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
#22  October 23, 2007, 10:27:45 am
  • チョンリサ
    • Canada
there was only one each. One for here in firefox and one for Higher End GFX for opera.

Vinny's probably right. Opera peaked at 11mb. And epsxe was running in the background.
you can't mixup a blind man, and you can't out think a brick ~skisonic
Street fighting is all about analysis, prediction, and reaction. That's it.

#23  October 23, 2007, 04:03:55 pm
    • Germany

automatic is the only true setting :P

there are OSs around where you can flag some memory pages as unimportant, so the system knows it can reassign it if some other application requests more ram. that works great, for things like web content that is handy to have in ram but not important enough to block it for other applications since it can just be reloaded. allows for WAY more efficient ram usage... but duh. windows. :P

but hey. "Minimum Requirements: 1GB RAM (2GB for Vista)" <- you see that around quite often. lollington.