YesNoOk

The Last Story (Read 1755 times)

Started by Valodim, March 24, 2012, 02:24:19 pm
Share this topic:
The Last Story
#1  March 24, 2012, 02:24:19 pm
    • Germany
Well, it's finally release day in Europe for this game!

I'm gonna give it a whirl later today, see if it can get anywhere near the high high standards set by Xenoblade. From the reviews I have seen, it doesn't seem to have the gorgeus and enourmous open landscapes, but if the story can keep up I'm more than happy with that.
Re: The Last Story
#2  March 24, 2012, 04:31:20 pm
What. I thought it was in development hell
#3  March 24, 2012, 04:43:36 pm
  • Helpful Hermit
    • USA
I've never heard of this. What is it?
If you require my assistance, please feel free to contact me on Discord: 2DMirage#5299
Commissions/Requests are closed. Please do not ask.
#4  March 24, 2012, 04:46:42 pm
I've seen it out for a while around here, around SFxTK release date. Wikipedia says it's been out since the end of January in Japan, but the US will wait until June. edit - wait, that was January 2011 for Japan wtf
Downloading now, feedback lat I bought it just now, will play later.

I've never heard of this. What is it?
Hironobu Sakaguchi's latest promised masterpiece on Wii. RPG with a very active combat system (in the same line of thought as the one that came in with FFXII), and a very big emphasize on story (supposedly, I haven't seen much of the core of the story yet in trailers and gameplay footages, but the characters chat and interact a lot even during battle), plus beauty of the environment and realism of the textures (it reminds me of Vagrant Story in better resolution).

In short
The Last Story has received critical acclaim from reviewers. The game received a score of 38/40 in Famitsu magazine, with two critics giving the game 10/10 and two giving the game 9/10.[39] The Last Story topped the Japanese charts, with 114,722 units in its first week – which also includes sales of a version that comes bundled with a Wii system.[47] By the end of 2011, the game had sold nearly 160,000 copies in Japan.[48]
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 04:57:50 pm by Byakko
#5  March 24, 2012, 05:17:20 pm
It's also supposedly his final project. And since he's the mastermind behind FF, every die-hard RPG fan is all over it.
#6  March 24, 2012, 06:27:24 pm
  • üks kurb olend
    • Finland
conscious dreamers can be treasurer to their own currency
im a conscious dreamer
therefore i can be treasurer to my own currency

i can be the mind controller
#7  March 24, 2012, 07:46:55 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
Yeah europe got a it a while back.
"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

"Okay, okay. So you put a Nazi on the Moon. Fuck you, Moon."

Pal

#8  March 24, 2012, 08:01:56 pm
    • Argentina
#9  March 24, 2012, 08:06:11 pm
  • Still lurks regularly, but posts once a blue moon
    • Canada
Yeah... No Last Story for us for quite a while.
But, I would prefer it gets released here later rather than never.

At least Xenoblade is almost released here.
That should keep us occupied for some time.
#10  March 24, 2012, 08:46:00 pm
It's also supposedly his final project.
Reading around, it would seem that rumor was a translation error from a post on the Mistwalker blog. He was only working on it "as if" it was his last game.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#11  March 24, 2012, 08:49:08 pm
    • Germany
Oh. Whoops I've mixed up the months. Huh.

Got it right here, just waiting for my roommate. He wouldn't like me starting without him :)
#12  March 24, 2012, 09:00:48 pm
Huh. Well I'm glad he isn't retiring then.
#13  March 25, 2012, 03:11:19 pm
    • Germany
Ok, so:

- the voice acting, character depiction and dialogue is, as expected, superb. the story is in a very early phase still, but I'm three hours in and that time was well used to introduce the characters

- fighting is interesting and full of action, I like the pre-fight tactical overview

- I hope there will be at least a couple more fighting mechanics or skills to discover. the circles stuff looks promising, but up to this point I never got to dispel any for great effect

- not being able to move while aiming is annoying. maybe I just missed how to do that..

- I hope I get to fight as the other characters some time but at this point it looks like Zael's skills are all made to tie the group together (he can draw aggro, resurrect, stealth strike, snipe, and dispel magic which will always have some kind of effect. can't get more versatile than that!)

- rpg stuff is lacking in complexity a bit and it looks like that's gonna stay that way :sadgoi:
#14  March 25, 2012, 03:48:08 pm
I hope there will be at least a couple more fighting mechanics or skills to discover. the circles stuff looks promising, but up to this point I never got to dispel any for great effect
It keeps coming, when your level rises, you gain skills which triggers a quick tutorial, and some expand on previous skills ; the dispeling of magic circles comes up for a particular boss and you get to see how useful it can be, and you start to use it more and more thanks to that (and then another skill improves that again). It takes you by the hand to show you how good each mechanic is, and then you just have fun with it on your own. This way of handling the tutorials is pretty good.

It really doesn't look like you'll play anyone other than Zael. In fact, all the promotional art, character artworks etc. make me think that this will be your team from start to finish, I expect no death or new recruit or something. Meh.
... That said, that's only for the main character you directly control. Soon enough, you get the ability to give orders around to build up specific one-time tactics all at once.

edit - oh, right, the main menu has a multiplayer mode. Might mean you get to control other characters, dunno - don't know if it's in the main story, or if it's specific setups, either.

In the tavern when you come back from your first mission, there's a dude who literally tells you "you can improve weapons and armors, but you'll find that it's mostly weapons you'll give two shits about" yeah. Well, if you look at the fine prints, the armor descriptions point out this gives you a slight bonus in speed, that a slight bonus in stealth, in recovery etc., but for one, improving armors is a lot more of a pain than weapons (you need one dwarf ore thingy for every single armor smithing), and for another, the bonus doesn't seem that interesting or noticeable anyway.

... Oh, there's one little thing I can't stand. In battle, when you walk toward an enemy, you automatically attack. But then, you need to go and revive fallen friends, or pick up objects, or get to cover ; and if there's an enemy in the way, you'll attack him, and as long as he just stands there, there will be absolutely no way to simply walk past him, and no way to revive your friends. Same when you're surrounded, no way to just get out, you automatically hit people. Seriously, fuck that :blank:
Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 04:38:49 pm by Byakko
#15  March 25, 2012, 06:22:55 pm
    • Germany
yeah I don't think the team is going to change much. But I don't mind that, the character designs are all top notch and they have very individual motivations, that's enough for group dynamics :)

discovered "invisible" dye. cutscenes now 20% more ridiculous :lugoi:

oh also, I wouldn't have thought the "peek!" option would actually work! Syenne sure is walking innuendo