YesNoOk

Sub-System 1: The Technical Bar (Read 11468 times)

Started by Zero-Sennin, May 30, 2013, 11:20:51 pm
Share this topic:
Sub-System 1: The Technical Bar
New #1  May 30, 2013, 11:20:51 pm
  • Mach Punch Zoning Arm
    • USA
    • Skype - Zero-Sennin
    • tinyurl.com/zstrinmu
The Technical Bar (T. Bar)

The Technical Bar Sub-System is intended to encourage combo flexibility and provide some defensive options for the player. It was something Kamekaze approached me with a while back, but I took the basic premise he gave me and stripped it down by a lot. So shoutouts to him for setting me on this path :P

In the first build of the game, the following features are available:
   -Shift Cancel
   -Guard Cancel
   -Technical Charge

1. About the T. Bar

The T. Bar is displayed next to the super meter at the bottom of the screen.
   It has a maximum value of 100 points.
   Every normal move that hits adds 5 points to the T. Bar, while every blocked attack adds 2.
   Similarly, most special moves that hit add 10 points to the bar, while every blocked attack adds 5.
      There are some special circumstances in which a special move may add less than 10/5 points to the bar.
      One such example is Kaneda's Fire Step rekka technique, where the individual kicks add little to the bar.
   Super moves do not add any points to the T. Bar.

There are three states that the T. Bar can be in during the course of regular gameplay.

When the bar is less than 25% full, you cannot perform Shift or Guard Cancels.

When the bar is between 25% and 50% full, you may use Shift Cancels during normal attacks.

When the bar is at least 50% full, you may use Shift Cancels during normal and special attacks, as well as Guard Cancels.

The T. Bar resets between rounds.

2. Shift Cancels
   Shift Cancels allow you to cancel all normals and special moves, except for sweeps, when they hit an opponent.
   As stated earlier, Shift Cancels performed during normal attacks will use up 25% of the bar, while special attacks will use up 50% of the bar.

Shift Cancels are performed by pressing MUGEN Z key.
   You can also perform a Forward Shift by holding Fwd/6 during a regular shift cancel. This will allow you to slide forward while performing the Shift Cancel.
   After using a Shift Cancel, the T. Bar is on temporary cooldown and cannot be increased. This cooldown lasts for approximately half a second.

3. Guard Cancels
   Guard Cancels are exactly what they sound like. When you block an attack, a Guard Cancel will enable a quick counter.
   Guard Cancels use 50% of the bar.

Guard Cancels are performed by pressing MUGEN Z key during blockstun.

4. T. Charge

A Technical Charge allows you to use one super meter to add 50 points to the T. Bar.
   You cannot perform T. Charges unless you are in a neutral state (standing, walking, crouching, landing from a jump).

T. Charges are performed by pressing MUGEN C key.

Potential features:

T. Burst:
   Break T. Bar for the round to break out of a combo string.

Back Shift:
   Basically a reverse-direction Forward Shift.

A lot of the potential features would be subject to testing and other such things, nor would they be guaranteed additions.
Most likely, T. Charge will be the one that makes it in, because right now you have to build up to 3 meters for the Lv. 3 supers and with no Level 2 supers, well...I feel like building up to Lv. 2 meter is kind of pointless unless you're saving up for Lv. 3.

If you have any thoughts on this system, feel free to ask.
If you'd like to make suggestions, then that's all well and good, but don't be offended if I reject them or change them.
Youtube 
Twitter
Ask.fm
Zero-Sennin's Workshop
[22:18] <Ebil_Homer> because you messed up?
[22:18] <Ebil_Homer> well that's a fucking shame
[22:18] <Ebil_Homer> pick up your sucks

I don't provide old versions of my characters once they're updated. Please don't ask me for them.
Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 06:55:10 pm by Zero-PiltoverPuncher
Re: Sub-System 1: The Technical Bar
New #2  July 01, 2013, 06:50:06 pm
  • Mach Punch Zoning Arm
    • USA
    • Skype - Zero-Sennin
    • tinyurl.com/zstrinmu
As proof that I haven't been dead, here are some changes I've made:

1) Added the T. Charge.
   A Technical Charge allow you to use one super meter to add 50 points to the T. Bar.
   You cannot perform T. Charges unless you are in a neutral state (standing, walking, crouching, landing from a jump).

T. Charges are performed by pressing MUGEN C key.

2) Added a cooldown timer to Shift Cancels.

I have to figure out a way to visually indicate it, but at the moment, the T. Bar will not increase for about half a second after you use a Shift Cancel (this includes using T. Charge).
This is meant to prevent infinite T. Bar meter gain, and has been seen in games such as Guilty Gear (do a Roman Cancel and hit someone afterward, and you'll see that you don't get meter back until the part of the bar you used completely disappears).

The first post will be altered to reflect these changes.
Youtube 
Twitter
Ask.fm
Zero-Sennin's Workshop
[22:18] <Ebil_Homer> because you messed up?
[22:18] <Ebil_Homer> well that's a fucking shame
[22:18] <Ebil_Homer> pick up your sucks

I don't provide old versions of my characters once they're updated. Please don't ask me for them.
Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 06:54:17 pm by Zero-PiltoverPuncher