YesNoOk

Frankie (JumpStart 1st Grade) Released (Read 1345 times)

Started by Cyborg Sun, April 01, 2021, 07:59:54 pm
Share this topic:
Frankie (JumpStart 1st Grade) Released
New #1  April 01, 2021, 07:59:54 pm
  • Standalone Tester for Famicom Fighters
    • USA

Q: Who is Frankie, and why him?
A: Frankie is the mascot character from JumpStart 1st Grade, an edutainment PC game from 1995. While initially only appearing in games made for 1st Graders, he eventually became the mascot for the entire series. For my first character, I wanted to challenge myself and tried to imagine how an edutainment character could work in a fighting game environment. April is also LazyGameReview's Edutainment Month, so this works out perfectly.

Q: How do I play Frankie?
A: Inspired by the adaptive difficulty system in the JumpStart games, he has a unique mechanic involving combos. If you're able to rack up a high combo, you begin to gain access to new moves and powers on a leveled system, up to 3 levels. If you drop a significant amount of low combos, however, you will start to level down, so be careful!

Q: Any additional modes?
A: Yes, he has 3 modes in total. Normal Mode is inspired by several "classic" appearances of the character (although most references are from the original 1st Grade game). Expect cameos from the infamous Glop Monster, a kid asking for a whole tray of peas, and more. Mature Mode takes inspiration from the 3rd-6th Grade "JumpStart Adventures" games. Here, his combos are much more advanced and his specials and supers can feature cameos from characters like Botley, Jo Hammet, Ms. Grunkle, etc. EX Mode pulls from his later appearances (Such as the "Advanced" and "3D Virtual World" series) and features new attacks, as well as cameos from other Preschool-2nd Grade characters.

Join the cause and click that download link!

Spoiler: POST APRIL FOOLS UPDATE (click to see content)
Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 11:43:21 pm by Cyborg Sun