YesNoOk

Chess Battle (Shining Force II) (Read 7325 times)

Started by PotS, June 30, 2022, 03:40:17 pm
Share this topic:
Chess Battle (Shining Force II)
#1  June 30, 2022, 03:40:17 pm
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
A relatively simple stage adapted from one of my favourite childhood games. I got the idea to do it after doing the training stage with the chessboard pattern.

Has super jump and optional zoom.

Download
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.
Re: Chess Battle (Shining Force II)
#2  June 30, 2022, 04:12:56 pm
  • "Forgeddaboudit"
  • Squawkabilly
    • Romania
    • wf4123.neocities.org
The game for the check and fighting among the mates, soon the battlefield are giving them as ecstasy. But hey, cool stage.
#3  July 01, 2022, 01:01:16 pm
  • Far away from home
    • France
Masterpiece, PotS !  :beamgoi: I'm a bit older than you, and Shining Force, the first and the second one, were my favorite teen games !  :nice: You did an awesome work here, bringing all the foes on their places (their good chess places ! :) ). You added the music (my favourite of SF2). Great ! And thank you for this ! :yes:
Shining Force deserves love, moreover when the long awaited Android revival recently came to an end… :'(
#4  July 01, 2022, 02:15:44 pm
    • Portugal
I knew there were Shining fans out there, hehe. Thanks.
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
#5  July 08, 2022, 02:52:22 pm
    • Argentina
    • matrerog@yahoo.com.ar
An updated retro gem.
The addition of super jump and zoom is appreciated.
Thanks.
#6  July 08, 2022, 07:17:57 pm
  • I must continue my training...
Brother, this is an instant classic. A lot of people try but not everybody can pinpoint parallax. You nailed it! The atmosphere is spot on, bro.

Do your best to become stronger. Become stronger, so you can do your best.

Mugen is a way for me to remain nostalgic with all of the dream matches I cooked up as a kid. It's also what I call a "Digital Action Figure Collection."
MaxBeta link=topic=155656.msg1876950#msg1876950 date=13867
Vegaz_Parrelli...also known as The Lord of the Rings.
[/quote said:
#7  July 09, 2022, 03:47:12 am
  • If you want peace...Prepare for War
    • USA
Great idea for a stage, I love it. SF 1 & 2 were some of my favorite RPG's growing up also. Those 2 games are what spawned my love for TRPG's as a whole. After them, came Vandal Hearts 1 which I still play to this day. Thanks for the stage and nostalgia.
#8  July 09, 2022, 07:16:55 pm
just replayed this game a week ago. i'm surprised how short it was... i remember when i played it decades ago it took me months to finish it.
everything about this game is memorable the sound effects the music battle.
#9  July 11, 2022, 07:10:16 pm
    • Portugal
Thanks, everyone.

Brother, this is an instant classic. A lot of people try but not everybody can pinpoint parallax. You nailed it! The atmosphere is spot on, bro.
When converting from arcade games I use Math, but in these cases half of it is trial and error. I guess people just don't try and err enough, heh.
#10  July 11, 2022, 09:28:08 pm
  • I must continue my training...
Thanks, everyone.

When converting from arcade games I use Math, but in these cases half of it is trial and error.

Same here. I used to just eyeball it back in the day, until Margatroid schooled me on the basic formula for calculating parallax a few years ago. Now I do a bit of both as well.

Do your best to become stronger. Become stronger, so you can do your best.

Mugen is a way for me to remain nostalgic with all of the dream matches I cooked up as a kid. It's also what I call a "Digital Action Figure Collection."
MaxBeta link=topic=155656.msg1876950#msg1876950 date=13867
Vegaz_Parrelli...also known as The Lord of the Rings.
[/quote said:
#11  July 12, 2022, 01:34:06 pm
  • I'm 100% Team OHMSBY now.
    • USA
Thought I ask this suggestion and that I didn't want to necrobump your other topic regarding your older ones, but do you mind updating this stage and the others to change the leftbound to -20000 and the rightbound to 20000 respectively since they were updated for 1.0? This will help effects from showing up properly on certain characters and won't cause any side effects to the stages themselves. I had situations while testing character's helpers not appearing because of the stage's leftbound and rightbound.
I will still do detail and aesthetic feedback for the rest.
#12  July 12, 2022, 08:17:29 pm
    • Portugal
Do you remember which characters on which stages that caused it? I know what you're talking about, but I make those values at the very least one screen wider than the visible boundaries so it shouldn't happen. Unless I missed one of course.

In theory making those values huge shouldn't break anything like you said. I just followed Elecbyte's stages when I chose those values (like most people). The only downside would be reuploading around 70 stages, hehe.
#13  July 12, 2022, 09:38:20 pm
    • Brazil

And here is a video with it:

#14  July 13, 2022, 01:01:23 am
  • I'm 100% Team OHMSBY now.
    • USA
Do you remember which characters on which stages that caused it? I know what you're talking about, but I make those values at the very least one screen wider than the visible boundaries so it shouldn't happen. Unless I missed one of course.

In theory making those values huge shouldn't break anything like you said. I just followed Elecbyte's stages when I chose those values (like most people). The only downside would be reuploading around 70 stages, hehe.
Basically OHMSBY's Vlov when he uses Joval Kopiy on any stage. I think it's because the spear sprite during his astral heat is so large being 6822 pixels wide and would eventually cut off after a certain distance due to it exceeding those boundaries. I figured it may be an issue with his character's astral heats from here on out.

I won't blame you as Mugen was originally lo-res and didn't support hi-res until a hack was made (And 1.0 can officially support both stage resolutions). Of course I won't ask everyone to update their stages to those values. I'm only just asking for those that were for Winmugen and you just happen to as I don't see many that do since most of them work fine on 1.0 with little to no issues. It's not an issue back then because there weren't lo-res effects that can reach more than 1000 pixels.
I will still do detail and aesthetic feedback for the rest.
#15  July 13, 2022, 07:31:57 pm
    • Portugal
I see what you mean with Vlov. There are probably other ways to get it done if you accept that most Mugen stages are 2000 pixels wide. If the character was coded with localcoord instead of rescaling I suppose it wouldn't happen either.
I was going to suggest putting your suggestion as a warning in the character's readme but it looks like that's already done.