YesNoOk

DC Television Universe Discussion Thread (Read 266242 times)

Started by Retro Respecter, May 14, 2015, 11:21:37 pm
Share this topic:
Re: DC Television Universe Discussion Thread
#61  September 19, 2015, 03:59:34 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dc-entertainment-give-classic-batman-824572
DC Entertainment To Give Classic Batman Writer Credit in 'Gotham' and 'Batman v Superman'
So that's why it's called "Dawn of Justice".
maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan I was literally about to post that (in another thread but whatever) >:[
well whatever, I'm gonna post the rest of the stuff I was planning on including.

This is really great news, Bill Finger's role in the creation of Batman and his mythos has far, far too long been denied. It has been completely outrageous that it has taken this long to get the modicum of respect they're giving him now. Bob Kane, the nominal sole creator of Batman, was a lying, thieving hack. He barely created anything: at best, he came up with the name "Batman". Literally everything else comes from Finger, as this wonderful comic by Ty Templeton shows

or, to put it another way:
Chris Sims said:
If I have to grit my teeth and give Kane even the slightest amount of credit, I will say that he was the one who wrote the word “BAT-MAN” down on a piece of paper and drew a character wearing a red suit with a domino mask, blonde hair and a pair of bat wings. All Finger really did was come up with the color scheme, the costume, the cape, the cowl, the idea that he shouldn’t have any superpowers, the origin story about his parents being shot in an alley, the idea that he’s a detective, the words “Batmobile” and “Gotham City,” Robin, the Joker, Catwoman, and a few other minor elements.

Kane was pretty awful. He also barely drew any of the Batman stuff he's given credit on; instead, he employed a host of ghost artists at pitiful wages, all the while taking all the credit and the profits (Kane, unique among his Golden Age peers, negotiated a very generous contract that gave him profit sharing). And there's that time he tried to pursue some art that really spoke to him, with deep meaning: sad paintings of clowns. The late, fantastic comic book writer Arnold Drake recalled one time when Bob Kane showed off his gallery: a whole host of sad clown paintings, all signed "BOB KANE". Kane was so proud of those paintings, truly believing they were his ticket to being taken seriously in the art world. Which is pretty funny, because soon after Drake saw them, he heard that Bob Kane was being sued by the artist who actually painted those clowns.

Or what about that AMAZING story of comics legend Jim Steranko being confronted by Kane (who thought Steranko was overly generous to Finger and Robin/Joker co-creator and ghost artist Jerry Robinson, when discussing the origins of Batman in a book), who then cuffed Steranko across the face as he walked away. The next time Steranko saw Kane:
Jim Steranko said:
Around noon, I found him in another group, which I walked into. "Good to see you, Bob, baby!" I said, then bitch-slapped him across the face.
(Jim Steranko is fucking amazing). There's a lot more horror stories about Kane, ones that don't have happy endings like these ones. Kane ratted out Superman creators Jerry Siegal and Joe Shuster about their plans to try and wrest control of their character from DC (they wanted to try and renegotiate better page rates and royalties), which led to them being fired. Kane himself got a contract with the very things Siegel and Shuster were seeking, as a reward. Bill Finger died penniless and forgotten because Bob Kane refused to share credit, and even had it mandated in his DC contract that DC could never, ever credit anyone else as a co-creator of Batman. Seriously, fuck Bob Kane.
Re: DC Comics Universe (maybe discussion?)
#62  September 20, 2015, 04:53:43 am
    • USA
It's everyone's favorite android superhero, a long time member of the most preeminent superteam in the universe! No, I don't mean the Vision, I'm talking about the other red-skinned artificial human who cries a lot, Red Tornado!

I'm not really feeling the costume but the helmet thingy and face makeup looks good? I dunno. Still, nice to have more DC characters popping up in Supergirl.
#63  September 23, 2015, 03:55:26 am
    • USA

This show looks really promising! I'm really impressed by the level of FX they're able to do on a TV budget.

Bea

#64  September 23, 2015, 03:57:49 am
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org
That video is no longer available. :(
I am sooo looking forward to that show, though. It will be so, but so good.
Princess Adora: "My friend saw She-Ra take her dress off in the shower. She said she has an 8 pack. She said She-Ra is shredded."

SF2NES is dead. Long live SF2NES.
#65  September 23, 2015, 04:00:54 am
    • USA
Oh darn, it must be US only. Does this work? EDIT: how about this

I seriously don't understand the business strategy in limiting a *trailer* to a US only audience. :megaeyes:
#66  September 23, 2015, 04:12:18 am
  • Smooches
    • USA
    • Skype - Neocide
Maybe just paranoid from the pilot getting leaked. This show does look promising from what I've  seen.
#67  September 23, 2015, 04:31:41 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
As long as she's not that white trash (Miley Cyrus wannabe who keeps fighting with her team mates and does every wrong) Supergirl I'm fine with this.

And did I just saw a Blade 2 vampire and Ally Mcbeal?
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
#68  September 23, 2015, 10:32:39 am
Maybe just paranoid from the pilot getting leaked. This show does look promising from what I've  seen.
No, lots of series do that, regionally restricting their trailers and even interview bonus videos. They just don't want to show it to other places, probably because they expect to sell it to local distributors and decide that those distributors should handle it for their country. It's not like other countries will watch the US version legally anyway.

I watched the Supergirl pilot when it leaked and I found that it was pretty much 40 minutes of that terrible Cat Grant speech from the original trailer. Also they're keeping it out of the DC TV universe.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.

Bea

#69  September 23, 2015, 11:34:33 am
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org
Princess Adora: "My friend saw She-Ra take her dress off in the shower. She said she has an 8 pack. She said She-Ra is shredded."

#70  September 29, 2015, 05:48:22 pm
    • USA
    • Skype - Uche1234@hotmail.com
#71  October 09, 2015, 01:31:58 am
Season's on.
- Flash is starting fine. Once more, all the shots and lines from the preview were from episode 1, okay.
- Arrow : bad as usual. Dahrk walks in the room with city leaders meeting and explicitly fires death threats saying he's the leader of the evil guys, and nobody cares to shoot him in the goddamn face. "-I'll call security -nah, never mind" fuck you. The team is spying on the bad guys from an open roof, they have great view of everyone including Dahrk, Oliver shouts "move !" and they all drop down in the middle of the armed gang and start punching - fuck you, shoot them from the roof while they don't know you're here, starting with Dahrk. Lance ripping a new one on Oliver for bringing monsters in the city ? Fuck you, they were there before, they were about to earthquake the city when Oliver came in.
But that big zoom on the chest of that guy wearing a pilot jacket with the tag "Jordan" in the flashback sequence.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#72  October 09, 2015, 03:05:38 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
Having duplicates from the other world could be very interesting for Flash. I have a feeling that the Killer Frost we see first won't necessarily be the Caitlyn we're used to.

I've also got theories on Cisco's inspiration for the Flash signal being something from the other world as well.
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#73  October 09, 2015, 10:02:47 am
The bat signal ? He explicitly said he "read it in a comic book" (i.e. Batman)
#74  October 09, 2015, 04:10:48 pm
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
Ah, but what he actually said was "I don't know. I think I saw it in a comic book somewhere." Now of course that could be a throwaway line meant to wink at the audience and from anyone else it would be, but from Cisco...

(I freely admit I am most likely reading to far into it, but I had a lot of fun speculating about Flash last year)
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#75  October 09, 2015, 04:32:06 pm
Eh, I just took it as "we can't namedrop him and obviously we can't say he doesn't exist in this universe" but I'd rather not expect anything about it or any follow-up.
#76  October 29, 2015, 01:04:50 am
    • USA
So hey, Supergirl was pretty fun. It definitely had some pilot jitters and I'm still really not a fan of the superhero shows Greg Berlanti has created having pretty much every single memeber of the cast know the identity of said superhero, but it was pretty good and promising. Melissa Benoist is such a delight to watch as Supergirl, like seriously, she just radiates joy, which is really what's needed when playing a member of the Superman family of heroes.

Bea

#77  October 29, 2015, 01:39:44 am
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org
I need that show on netflix asap. :(
No Supergirl fun for me till then. T_T

#78  October 30, 2015, 09:03:01 pm
    • Poland
I know this post may bring some negative responses but well.

Here in Poland pilot of Supergirl got really bad reviews like grades between 4/10 - 5/10 and only because of Melissa Benoist who is awesome. I agree with them but let's get from the beginning.

When this show was announced and main role was cast I wasn't sure if I'm gonna watch it. I didn't know who Melissa was, and trailers looked Smallville s01-weak. Then leaked pilot came out and with so many negative reviews I planned to pass, even if I watch pretty much every superhero show with crappy Arrow (I loved s02 with Deathshot but season 03 was very bad). But then I watched "Whiplash" (awesome movie btw.) and I really like Melissa part. She was pretty, had some acting skills and she was really natural. So when pilot finally out officially I gave a shot even if I kinda expected to be bad.

So for pros, as as expected Melissa nailed it. She is absolutely great even if I still prefer Laura Vandervoort from Smallville as Supergirl. She is cute sweet, and funny when she is in shy-ckumsy mode. Maybe character was little to teeny for my taste but I liked it. Black Jimmy "James" Olsen was suprisingly good and had some chemistry with Melissa. It worked for most part. Still Jimmy was always shown as some geeky young guy with glasses and here we have a guy who look like black Russel Crowe.... Calista Flockhart as Kara's boss was also great but I expected that from former Ally McBeal (anyone remember that show ?)

As for everything else, well story have major flaws. I know we supposed to believe that Superman is out there but come on... He's like fastest guy on planet and he in all those years didn't have time to meet his cousin even for a brief moment ? He is so busy saving the world so he needs to send his human friends to watch over Kara ? Really ? It would been so much better if Superman would just gone from the planet (misterious dissapearing like in Superman returns) and Kara would pick up the mantle... Oh and "let's tell the first guy we know, about our secret identity, no matter the fact it might get him in danger... eventually" move was meh ? I can understand whole thing was meant to show how inexperienced Kara is about these things but still...

Action scenes were kinda amateurishy made... I thought for a second this show was made in 90's... Melissa clearly doesn't have experiences in fighting stuff and it shows. As for special effects they also weren't that great. I really felt like I was watching beginning of Smallville and that's not compliment. For example Flash had much better special effects, just look at s01 finale... And blue Heat Vision ? Seriously ? And there is a cliche peep talk during fight like "You can do it Kara!" I didn't know if I was supposed to laugh or feel ashamed because it was pathethic. Main villain was also big cliche. "I'm gonna rule of all earth" how original. And of course she had to be from Kara family and on top of that her mother's twin sister. Seriously who write this shit ? Once again Flash is example of making great believable villain. Monster of the week format also don't help but I understand this is most common way to set up continuous story.

Overall this show is made for teens and kids so I''m maybe too old for that show. After watching Daredevil and Agents of SHIELD (which I enjoy very much), my superhero tv shows standards went up high. I can't help but compare and Supergirl looks just plainy bad compared tho these two even though Agents were also bad in season one. And even if we don't compare or pretend they don't exist, there is Flash who also have this teeny funny feel and style like Supergirl, similar budget and tv channel and so on, yet it's so much better in almost every aspect.

I will continue to watch it because of Melissa and who knows maybe it will improve over time like Agents but this is my opinion so far. It's harsh but i've seen worse reviews of pilot in my country. I don't know maybe my opinion would been different if I'v been comc book/supergirl fan but sadly I'm not so yeah. 
"If our lives are indeed the sum total of the choices we've made, then we cannot change who we are. But with every new choice we're given, we can change who we're going to be." The Outer Limits S04E04

"If knowledge is power and power corrupts... how will human kind ever survive?" The Outer Limits S04E16
Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 09:11:08 pm by Jarek Bachanek
#79  October 30, 2015, 09:35:53 pm
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
Yeah, I actually have the same idea when I seen the show too. I am hoping that it gets better over time because it does have some good elements in it.
#80  October 31, 2015, 03:24:23 am
    • USA
As for everything else, well story have major flaws. I know we supposed to believe that Superman is out there but come on... He's like fastest guy on planet and he in all those years didn't have time to meet his cousin even for a brief moment ? He is so busy saving the world so he needs to send his human friends to watch over Kara ? Really ?
I didn't get the impression that he never ever saw her again, but that they didn't see each other regularly. I would imagine they talk on the phone a few times a month, maybe get together for holidays (human or Kryptonian ones, though?).

The sending Kara to be raised by his friends thing, though, that's sorta baked into the premise of Supergirl. In every iteration Superman basically hands her off to someone (because it would change his status quo too much to be taking care of a teenager on top of everything else); I honestly felt like this version's handling of that was done pretty well. Like, the worst was probably the original Silver Age version, which had Superman telling a 16 year old who literally just witnessed everyone she ever knew die a long and painful death, his only family in the universe, his only surviving relative, to go live in an orphanage (!). And also hide her powers and don't do any superheroics, because she was Superman's "secret weapon" (!!!); she remained there for quite a few years and only acted, very rarely and in secret, as Supergirl.

But yeah, I dunno, this show's way of doing it, where Superman asked his close friends to look after 12-year-old Kara, worked pretty well for me. The showrunners have stated that they currently have no plans to feature Superman in anything beyond cameos, which is probably the best approach: he would overwhelm everything else. I dunno why but my mind immediately leaped to The West Wing as an example; originally it was planned that Martin Sheen's character (the President) would only appear in a few episodes, for brief moments, but he very quickly became the dominant character in the show. The good thing is that the Superman Family (Supergirl, Superboy, et. al.) are much much more independent characters than say, the Bat-family, so it doesn't have to feel very strained or weird that Superman is never around.