YesNoOk

Pokemon Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl + Pokemon Legends Arceus (Read 1404107 times)

Started by Umezono, February 26, 2021, 04:54:53 pm
Share this topic:
Pokemon Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl + Pokemon Legends Arceus
#1  February 26, 2021, 04:54:53 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Wish I could embed tweets here!

It will be a full remake with stylized chibi graphics, retaining the top down 2D gameplay of the source games.

They simultaenously announced an open-world "prequel" of the Gen 4 games, titled Pokemon Legends Arceus.

Both will be heading to Switch, with the remakes slated for late (q4?) 2021
Re: Pokemon Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl + Pokemon Legends Arceus
#2  February 26, 2021, 04:57:45 pm
  • Self-Sufficient Subhuman
  • "I hope you're ready for a beating!"
    • USA
Spam isn't allowed so just imagine a message with an elongated "AAAAAAAHHHHH" in bolded italics.

My childhood is FINALLY BACK. And if these games suck, I quit Pokemon.
#3  February 26, 2021, 05:10:16 pm
  • Build it, shape it, by my will.
Can't wait to see what kind of dumbed down mechanics these madlads will inject this time.

I expect Sinnoh remakes to not carry new Pokemon post Unova just to remain authentic.
#4  February 26, 2021, 05:58:57 pm
  • Self-proclaimed best creator!
I hope these new remakes will be good.
Also there's a Breath of the Wild but with Pokemons.
This is fate.
#5  February 26, 2021, 09:56:50 pm
    • crepa.neocities.org
I'm just sad that nobody is talking about the New Pokemon Snap.... I'm a huge fan of the original Pokemon Snap for the N64 and always wanted a sequel.
#6  February 27, 2021, 01:39:35 am
    • Brazil
So, the chibi look they went for in the remakes looks really shit, but the Legends one looks pretty cool, using stealth to catch Pokemon you actually see in the wild seems really interesting.
#7  February 27, 2021, 02:03:18 am
    • Mexico
One o' these games better have a catchable Darkrai/Shaymin event. That's all I'm asking for, and for patches to program the less than two hundred creatures into SS.
#8  February 27, 2021, 02:23:32 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
The Diamond/Pearl remake share a lot more in common stylistically with Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee than Sword/Shield.  Interesting.  There's pluses and minuses to that, the more compact world of Let's Go allowed much more detail to shine through its towns than SwSh's mostly surface-level looks and barren cities beyond the one major copypaste steampunk city and its copy.  To say nothing of the actual content within them of course, but SwSh's cons are long and illustrious and long-since well documented so moving on.

One of SwSh's pros over Let's Go and at first glance here is this shading thing they got going on with the character and monster models, the lighting was simply admittedly better in SwSh.  Let's Go looked....I dunno how to describe it.  Like they were all claymation?  Similar outcome seems to be the case here, they're cel-shaded but missing the harsh shadows or outlines so they look too soft.

The super-deformed chibi style probably helps them retain as much a 1-to-1 recreation of the overworld and sprites as they were on the DS.  I guess take your pick on preference, as faithful as can be to recreating the last games like this is doing or sometimes awkward upscaling to the full body models like Let's Go did.  I'm not crazy over the look, but I can see why they did it and it's benefits gameplay-wise.  Also they look like little McDonalds plastic toys now, which I'm sure is a boon Game Freak and co. just LOVE the opportunity to sell toys of.

I'm still rather burned by SwSh's whole....everything, so trying to look at this as positive as I can.  I'd say the smart thing to do now is to see what was removed or changed via the fine print before the game comes out.  Something like adding raid dens to Diamond/Pearl, not monumental to me but overall a good thing.  Something like sticking to their guns and having permanent dex removals, this time under the guise of being too faithful to gen 4's roster?  Less good.  Me, my shot in the dark possible good outcome would be if they made some new Sinnoh regional variants of some post-gen 4 monsters to show up.
Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 02:29:18 am by Long John Killer
#9  February 27, 2021, 03:24:44 am
    • USA
If they give us the original Sinnoh dex with only two fire types I’m gonna die inside.
#10  February 27, 2021, 03:31:04 am
    • Brazil
I mean, the other remakes kept the original dexes, but had additional events/areas in which you could catch Pokémon from other generations, I assume the same will happen in this case.
#11  February 27, 2021, 03:59:11 am
    • Chile
But that implies that players will be stuck with these firetypes until the very end or post game. Not a smart move.

I wonder at what degree will they change the original game.
#12  February 27, 2021, 04:01:18 am
    • USA
The other remakes were before SwSh.  A lot of assumptions over quality control and general direction were tossed out the window with the changes it brought.  The hopeful wish would be yes, you play Diamond/Pearl to play Diamond/Pearl, you get their pokedex for the main content and then you get the postgame national dex covering the rest.  Trade in others early if you need that non-native Fire-type, but don't get a lore entry on them before beating the game.  Less fun, more compromise, you get Sun and Moon's deal of not writing up new info on all thousand-so of the Pokemon and they don't get dex entries but you can still use them.  Though we never got a straight answer out of Game Freak, I believe the notion we're still holding on to for SwSh's missing monsters is the time constraint when porting the models to Switch and not all of them worked as intended.  Why they gave the excuses they did, who knows, you'd have the ask them in person I suppose.  But now, having significant time since SwSh's DLC, I would hope this is no longer an issue and we can get the last missing bunch squared away.

Something else occurs to me.  Not nearly to the extent Zelda puts a focus on theirs, but Pokemon has branching timelines they kinda just leave as a point of interest in the background.  Three as I recall?  Haven't needed to think of them in a while.  You have the "main" one, following each main title of each gen besides where a third entry overwrites it like Emerald to Ruby/Sapphire.  You have the Mega timeline, which I think only covers ORAS's weird time placement of having Mega Stones present in Honen.  And you have Let's Go's timeline, which personally is by far the weirdest because Let's Go wants to be both 1996 and 2018 at the same time, retelling Yellow's story whilst Red/Blue had already happened and the events are happening all over again with nearly clones of Red and not-Green/Leaf but genderswapt Red.  But they also have Leaf appear in the game, as she did as Green prior to FireRed/LeafGreen.  And they reference the manga, which is wholly separate from the games.  The Let's Go games were freaking weird when you think of them more than the developers probably did.

Anyways, I'm just curious if this will attempt the same deal to bring dynamax to Sinnoh?  Or hell, Megas to return to the Mega timeline, that'd be somewhat interesting to refer to ORAS events again.
Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 04:29:27 am by Long John Killer
#13  February 27, 2021, 04:46:26 am
    • Brazil
I'm not sure if they'll bring Dynamax, I don't know why, but it doesn't look like the area in which the protagonist is battling was meant to house Dynamax. I don't know if they'd bring back Megas, though, this is still a Gen 8 game, and it would likely end up in conflict with Dynamax.
#14  February 27, 2021, 04:55:08 am
    • USA
I hope they bring in something new to counteract the apparent complete faithfulness.

I will be thoroughly disappointed if this is the laziest remake... this is my damn childhood, I didn't wait 14 years (or 7 since ORAS) for a hunk of junk.
#15  February 27, 2021, 04:57:36 am
    • Brazil
Considering how ridiculously lazy SwSh was, I advise you to contain your hopes. At this point, I don't expect much from Game Freak in anything they do.
#16  February 27, 2021, 05:05:20 am
    • USA
Considering how ridiculously lazy SwSh was, I advise you to contain your hopes. At this point, I don't expect much from Game Freak in anything they do.

Considering this is my childhood it's very hard to keep my hopes in check.

I've already made the decision though that if this game really is a complete failure, I'm gonna be leaving the Pokemon series behind. The past several years have already been disappointing and I kept trying to be incredibly optimistic about the games but they've really all just let me down. Call me entitled but it's not fair that my childhood gets the shaft while every other prior generation gets a good (or in ORAS' case, passable) remake lol

Fingers crossed a miracle happens... fingers crossed that against all miserable odds, my hopes have not all been pointless.
#17  February 27, 2021, 05:10:09 am
^If this remake ends up being a big success, then this proves Gamefreak is the main problem with the way recent Pokémon RPGs have taken a dip in quality.

I'm not sure if they'll bring Dynamax, I don't know why, but it doesn't look like the area in which the protagonist is battling was meant to house Dynamax. I don't know if they'd bring back Megas, though, this is still a Gen 8 game, and it would likely end up in conflict with Dynamax.
Dynamax ain't returning.  Lorewise, it's been told in SWSH that this only occurs in Galar.  I really really hope they stick to it.

Megas I can see returning except Audino and Diancie.  Metagame will probably go back to Gen 7 while maintaining changes made for Gen 8 including the new moves.  No Z-moves also.

At least with DP remakes, the devs are completely different despite Masuda still overseeing the project.  So I have hope this remake will be worth it.

Legends on the other hand may look visually appealing but I expect Gamefreak to make it viscerally easy and cut corners all around.  Frame drops popping in that trailer is the first red flag.  Music will be a killer tho.
Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 05:13:31 am by Kirishima
#18  February 27, 2021, 05:11:15 am
    • USA
Yo.  As someone heavily critical of Game Freak's deception and turnout, chill.  The previous remakes have been good, this is literally the announcement of this one's existence and art direction.  Wait until more information before writing it off.

So I heard that ILCA is making this remake, not The Pokemon Company.  Odd.  Well, they made Pokemon Home, so I guess expect more streamlined integration with that app.  I also hear ILCA also did a bunch of work for Metal Gear Rising Revengence and Nier: Automata.

Looking forward to the secret postgame chapter with the silver-haired sword user cutting down skyscrapper-sized robots while in questionable attire.  Or in this case I guess going mano e mano against Arceus.  Not entirely sure how sarcastic and joking I am, now that I write it out.  Now I want us to rebel against the game's fated credits and fight for the real meme ending.

Edit: The lore holding dynamax just to Galar is, like, the first thing I can wholeheartedly expect them to throw out the window where there's profit to be made.  Especially as it's lore can be boiled down to "Space rock radiation landed here by chance", that can be handwaved to literally the entire planet.  Hell, it can be chained to tie in Mega Rayquaza's lore being essentially the same if they so cared.
Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 05:16:41 am by Long John Killer
#19  February 27, 2021, 05:16:41 am
    • USA
This is gonna sound really weird but this is a weird nitpick I'm gonna have:

Battle Frontier returning would be legendary but considering how faithful these games claim to be, I assume only the Battle Tower will be returning. As such, assuming they retain Palmer as the superboss, if they use the Cynthia theme for him again and not the Platinum/HGSS Frontier Brain theme... I'm gonna be very disappointed lol

There's such a thing as being TOO faithful... I'm giving these remakes a chance but considering GameFreak's track record I have, of course, valid skepticism.

Inb4 these games are as slow as DP too, I swear to god if surfing is that slow I'm gonna shank a bitch
#20  February 27, 2021, 05:21:38 am
  • I want to learn, no criticize
    • Dominica
    • yaretromero@hotmail.com
looks 10 times better in sprites than 3D models, I bought a nintendo switch to play the pokemon next gen but Im getting this :/ its so sad
#21  February 27, 2021, 05:27:07 am
  • Vs Style Debuts Tag Project CEO
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
I can't describe how I'm truly feeling about this. First off, I kind of liked the chibi-styled artwork they used for the games this time. Probably something decent would work. But I do hope they don't be too faithful to the original otherwise, it'll be JUST LIKE the original with nothing new except graphical upgrades and attacks and that's nothing to be excited for imho. The one thing I am hopeful for is the Platinum-esque regional dex since Porygon-Z did made its appearance in the trailer and Porygon-Z was NOT in the regional dex in the original DP. So hopefully they'll bring something to mix in with the old. I fear we'll get a plain ol' Battle Tower over the awesome Battle Frontier. I'm still fumed and still angry over the cut dex issue SwSh has so unfortunately, my outlook on what Pokemon they'll allow is very skeptic. I'll get the game don't get me wrong but I won't go for both versions this time. If they don't do something new like give the Elite Four a unique battle theme or leave HMs dead, I'll be very pissed off.
Beware the Dark Wolf once more!
#22  February 27, 2021, 05:27:10 am
Looking forward to the secret postgame chapter with the silver-haired sword user cutting down skyscrapper-sized robots while in questionable attire.
The image of Haku-men suddenly saving the day only to challenge the protag in a Pokémon Battle on top of the early stages of Spear Pillar is too good to pass.

There's such a thing as being TOO faithful... I'm giving these remakes a chance but considering GameFreak's track record I have, of course, valid skepticism.
Once more, it's not Gamefreak that's developing this.  It's ILCA.  Only Masuda is overseeing the project.

Also, imaging being too authentic by bringing back 10 second save times.  Play like how we did back then wahaha
#23  February 27, 2021, 05:31:40 am
    • Dominica
Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 05:58:50 am by yaret
#24  February 27, 2021, 06:02:57 am
    • USA
Once more, it's not Gamefreak that's developing this.  It's ILCA.  Only Masuda is overseeing the project.

Also, imaging being too authentic by bringing back 10 second save times.  Play like how we did back then wahaha

First... oops, I forgot about that bit. My bad.

Second................ please no lol
#25  February 27, 2021, 06:29:11 am
    • crepa.neocities.org
looks 10 times better in sprites than 3D models, I bought a nintendo switch to play the pokemon next gen but Im getting this :/ its so sad
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyhG7H3keXU[/youtube]

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. While I love the 2D sprites and all, I really liked (at least in the trailer) the 3D environment. I can't tell which one I like the most. I mean, we grew up with the 2D era, so there is a lot of nostalgia involved, but I always try to see the new generation games with "today's children" eyes, sometimes we need to appreciate what technology is cappable of now too.
#26  February 27, 2021, 06:30:18 am
    • USA
I really like how the overworld looks but the models feel very off to me. I'm not entirely set on the chibi style for the overworld. But the environments themselves I really like looking at.
#27  February 27, 2021, 06:41:13 am
    • Dominica
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyhG7H3keXU[/youtube]

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. While I love the 2D sprites and all, I really liked (at least in the trailer) the 3D environment. I can't tell which one I like the most. I mean, we grew up with the 2D era, so there is a lot of nostalgia involved, but I always try to see the new generation games with "today's children" eyes, sometimes we need to appreciate what technology is cappable of now too.

I know this game will sell a lot but Nexomon looks even much better than this one in 3D models in my opinion, Im not a developer but This 3D looks ugly to my eyes so I bought my Switch to get that next gen pokemon everybody were talking about.xD buuuuuut I havent seen it yet
Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 06:49:46 am by yaret
#28  February 27, 2021, 06:46:18 am
    • USA
As is a crucial issue with all of the Pokemon games since X and Y, a large part of it comes down to the downright lifeless animations.  When you have something chibi, you expect it to be bouncing and lively and all over the place, making use of the cutesy style of animation.  As is, and likely will be in the game, they just look like miniature toys moving rigidly across a game board.  Like kid's anime Warhammer.

I don't expect it to be truly resolved by release but I also don't expect it to be a focal point of the game anyways.  Attention seems to be more placed in the backgrounds, which after SwSh's trees, is a good enough start I suppose.
#29  February 27, 2021, 06:56:46 am
    • Dominica
As is a crucial issue with all of the Pokemon games since X and Y, a large part of it comes down to the downright lifeless animations.  When you have something chibi, you expect it to be bouncing and lively and all over the place, making use of the cutesy style of animation.  As is, and likely will be in the game, they just look like miniature toys moving rigidly across a game board.  Like kid's anime Warhammer.

I don't expect it to be truly resolved by release but I also don't expect it to be a focal point of the game anyways.  Attention seems to be more placed in the backgrounds, which after SwSh's trees, is a good enough start I suppose.

yes you can see my point of view :)
#30  February 27, 2021, 08:35:56 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
the art direction is honestly pretty garbage. dont get why people are praising the backgrounds

#31  February 27, 2021, 09:08:35 pm
Save us Bamco
#32  February 27, 2021, 09:39:54 pm
    • Brazil
Well, if it's not being developed by Game Freak, maybe it has a chance of being good.
#33  February 27, 2021, 10:01:12 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
I'm not so invested in Gen 4 that I'm gonna be super picky about it, but this remake is looking rough, graphically.  It's like they were aiming for a fusion of Link's Awakening and Sword/Shield and somehow managed to do both of them worse.

Pokemonster Hunter looks like it has promise, though.  An actual open world to explore and track down Pokemon feels like a natural expansion from what people wanted the Wild Area to be.  I wonder if the battles will be real-time as well.
#34  February 28, 2021, 01:15:07 am
  • Character Not Unlocked ~
    • Norway
    • Skype - crap-zapper
Looking forward to both. With the remake I hope it's in line with how good HG/SS and OR/AS were, that Pokémon post the original regions get in here, like newer gen Pokémon too. Interestingly it's NOT GameFreak who is been handling this remake. That neither concerns me or makes my expectations over the roof, but I will be optimistic, I want to give them a fair chance.

The Arceus one does remind me of BotW as well, but that's not a bad thing. GameFreak are the ones handling this, and this could be interesting. Hope it will be more to do than just stealth catch Pokémon and aimlessly level up Pokémon. Are we building an army to oppose our threats, kill them and claim Sinnoh for our own

Snap is looking beautiful, and I can't wait to see what more will be there. Lol at the new ball, the exact opposite to the pester ball.
Previously known as;
Mugen-Ninja 2011-2014.
The Street Fighter 2014-2021.
#35  February 28, 2021, 01:31:04 am
  • I am hilarious
  • and you will quote everything I say
    • USA
I don't hate the artstyle of the remakes. It's definitely not optimal, but it could be a lot worse.
#36  February 28, 2021, 01:46:22 am
    • USA
Took a day of mulling it over, but it just occurred to me what the 3D chibi art direction is reminding me of.

Ah, if only the Pokemon games were remotely in the realm of Final Fantasy spin-off knock-offs of Pokemon.  Though at least they don't have the same terrible voice acting issues.  Yet.  Between SwSh's awkward soundless vocal tracks and BotW's overall "meh" turnout with their mutes turned chatterboxes, not sure how I'd feel if the remakes added in voices finally as well.

Though if any Nintendo franchise should make the smoothest transition, it should be the one with a decades long established anime series with veteran voice actors.  As someone who hasn't seen the anime since I guess when they got rid of Brock and Misty, I would think it rather cool to have a consistent use of voice actors from the anime to rep their game version.

Also
the art direction is honestly pretty garbage. dont get why people are praising the backgrounds

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/564751959568154635/815068308817969183/1614393776188.png
That seems a little unfair.  The former is attempting to recreate the original specifically with the intent of faithfulness, also picking an intentionally barren room, the latter is updating an considerably older game to modern standards and is being more liberal with their changes to spice it up.  Frankly, wasn't a fan of the Switch remake of Link's Awakening's new looks and skipped out on it because of it.
Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 01:57:05 am by Long John Killer
#37  February 28, 2021, 02:35:41 am
    • crepa.neocities.org
Still think that people are being to harsh on the art and graphic styles. I know it is not GREAT, but it's decent. That's what I meant in my previous post.
The chibi thing for example didn't bother me, it's just different and I think once the game releases people will get used to it.
Again, I'm not "wow this is looking awesome!", I'm just "oh ok, this is fine". And besides we are getting 2 Sinnoh games, so, not complaining.
#38  February 28, 2021, 03:18:47 am
  • Samurai Sprite Ripper
  • Currently ripping Ninja Warriors
    • Japan
    • sites.google.com/view/kanbeiscreations/home
The music sounds like DS midis...
#39  February 28, 2021, 03:50:18 am
    • USA
One of the things that gripes me most is that the remakes were sandwiched between two games that clearly have more effort put into them.

I'm hype for New Snap cause I loved the original, and Legends looks great... but from a 100% biased, entitled standpoint, it's understandably a little disappointing (at best) to me that the game I was looking forward to the most looks so bland, lazy, and uninteresting in comparison to two brand new spinoffs.

I blame my pessimism on the lack of information currently public regarding them, but I hope that the remakes answer all the questions they've brought up sooner rather than later.
#40  February 28, 2021, 03:57:21 am
    • USA
This is probably the actual bottom of the list curiosity for the Diamond/Pearl remakes, but I wonder if Hidden Power will come back now?  The move concept was fine, just freaking make it more accessible to understand for more casual players to make use of.  So unnecessarily cryptic about it, having to even guess which type it's set to if you don't have it memorized by heart.
#41  February 28, 2021, 04:01:59 am
    • USA
I would like them to bring it back and make it more accessible.

... on the subject of accessibility, I wonder how they'll make Spiritomb obtainable in this version. Hopefully not as complicated and time consuming as it used to be. Which also makes me wonder how the Underground will play out.

Also I know it's a faithful remake, but the return of the Union Room has me praying they'll bring back the WiFi Club from Platinum. I miss that place.

... also what the heck is the Jubilife GTS going to become?
#42  February 28, 2021, 04:06:43 am
    • Brazil
There are some problems I see with Hidden Power that should be addressed if it comes back:

• The "hidden" aspect is just inconvenient at this point, we should be able to know the damn type of the thing without the help of a NPC.
  • Fairy type was not part of it, which is stupid as hell, and shouldn't have been an issue even in Gen 6, let alone continuing in Gen 7.
  • There should be a way for us to change it, even if only once, so people wouldn't just swap all the time for coverage. And even then, coverage is the whole damn point of the move, it was already nerfed to base 60 power only, what is wrong with people being able to change the type? Otherwise, buff it back to 70.
  • Why is it only special? For a coverage move, the fact that its limited to special attackers only is a really dumb limitation. Maybe have a physical version that is called, I don't know, "Hidden Strength" or something.
#43  February 28, 2021, 04:07:55 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
That seems a little unfair.  The former is attempting to recreate the original specifically with the intent of faithfulness, also picking an intentionally barren room, the latter is updating an considerably older game to modern standards and is being more liberal with their changes to spice it up.  Frankly, wasn't a fan of the Switch remake of Link's Awakening's new looks and skipped out on it because of it.

It not unfair in the slightest. Regardless of your preferences, the lighting and post processing, even the texture quality is leagues better than a remake of one of the highest grossing franchises by one of the most successful game developers. Its mediocrity. If they wanted to achieve the faithfulness they might as well have gone fully sprited rather than this rough mobile game quality stuff.
#44  February 28, 2021, 05:18:28 am
  • I am hilarious
  • and you will quote everything I say
    • USA
#45  February 28, 2021, 09:28:23 am
    • Mexico
It not unfair in the slightest. Regardless of your preferences, the lighting and post processing, even the texture quality is leagues better than a remake of one of the highest grossing franchises by one of the most successful game developers. Its mediocrity. If they wanted to achieve the faithfulness they might as well have gone fully sprited rather than this rough mobile game quality stuff.

It's unfair when:
1.- Pokémon biggest source of outcome is merchandise, not the games themselves.
2.- It's not being developed by GF but by another studio.
3.- Legends Arceus (GF's game) looks miles better, so it's not like equals are being compared.

There are legitimate arguments against the games' graphics, saying it's because the games come from a high-grossing franchise isn't one of them. And as a longtime Pokémon fan, I just have to admit the games have never been highly regarded for graphics, not even in the first generations with their fugly sprites (looking at you, Venomoth, Nidorina, Mew), and by the GBA, you could easily find games with better looks like Metroid Fusion, the Sonic Advance series or TWEWY.

Personally, I don't think the graphics are pretty, in fact, I think they look worse than SwSh, but they're not ugly either, they're average. And since GF is in charge of a game with better graphics, I'm not gonna take this as an omen of bad things to come.
#46  February 28, 2021, 07:13:22 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
We're like what 8? 9 generations in and other franchises on the hardware look 10x better while only Pokemon looks this lazy and lifeless and people will still say "Oh, its ok, Pokemon is not about graphics." Of course its not all about the graphics but this is a shot for shot remake, and we're like a decade from its initial release. Its like theres no sense of standards?  Nobody is being unfair to this company for how lazy and rushed their releases are. You literally can't be unfair to these executives who just check a couple boxes on forms to get this stuff out the door by Christmas, no matter how unfinished they look. At some point you look at how the other franchises are doing, see all the innovation, and then look at Pokemon and realize these guys are so rich they know whatever they pump out is going to sell because of diehard fans.

I was a huge Gen 4 fan, I had all 3 of Pearl, Diamond and Platinum; and Heartgold is probably my 2nd favorite game of the entire series. But that was a long time ago. The series has been on a downward trajectory for a long time now, and you can see that the people on top really don't care all that much as long as it makes them money. The fact a shot-for-shot remake, a game with all the infrastructure for its game loop already implemented, looks this shoddy in 2021 shows they do not care. I don't see an omen for bad things to come, the proof is already there.
Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 07:17:51 pm by Umezono
#47  February 28, 2021, 10:57:44 pm
    • USA
Ok....putting aside all that, because the irony of this discussion mirroring the Sword and Shield topic from two years ago to too sweet and likely to give heartburn, that's not what I was calling unfair.  Is it unfair that the games don't aim for their potential?  Sure.  That's not what I meant.

The point of the pictures you posted were unfairly imbalanced.  The shot of the Pokemon game depicted a deliberately shadowed out simply household, something not matched by the surrounding world outside, arguably except by the small town size.  In which case good luck with your uphill battle with video game designing as a whole.  The shot in the Zelda game eschews 1-for-1 design and throws everything in the room to clutter it Ghibli-style, to the point the black void outside the house is all but not there.  It's nice, but it's also a deliberate change to make use of hardware power increase since....whenever Link's Awakening came out, 1991 I think?  Great and all, but we all know a George Lucas scenario where we hit that 'may have gone too far in a few places" changes for the supposed better and things turn out better left as is.  Example here is by god, do I not get their intention with the art style with the Switch remake for Link's Awakening and is very off-putting after years of imagining it by its artwork via the age of "playing the box art".  Hell, I would have taken if it looked like the anime trailer they put out for the remake, but it's....like a Unity-made fan project.

I don't think we're on opposing sides here, we both want the Pokemon games to do better in every regard.  This is just an unfair take, and the game's truly are not bad looking for what direction they DID end up taking.  If anything, I want to hear from their mouths WHY they went this route, after HeartGold/SoulSilver's aim at updating gen 2 to 4's standards and Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire's aim at not just matching X and Y's but surpassing them, filling in as the never finished Pokemon Z essentially.  This, from whatever angle you choose to look at it, does not look to fit in to Gen 8's standards.  If anything, it's more akin to the Let's Go games, as I mentioned earlier with their battles also replicating their model quality and animations.  That is an odd choice if that's their intent.
Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 11:07:15 pm by Long John Killer
#48  March 01, 2021, 12:16:55 am
    • Mexico
We're like what 8? 9 generations in and other franchises on the hardware look 10x better while only Pokemon looks this lazy and lifeless and people will still say "Oh, its ok, Pokemon is not about graphics." Of course its not all about the graphics but this is a shot for shot remake, and we're like a decade from its initial release. Its like theres no sense of standards?  Nobody is being unfair to this company for how lazy and rushed their releases are. You literally can't be unfair to these executives who just check a couple boxes on forms to get this stuff out the door by Christmas, no matter how unfinished they look. At some point you look at how the other franchises are doing, see all the innovation, and then look at Pokemon and realize these guys are so rich they know whatever they pump out is going to sell because of diehard fans.

I was a huge Gen 4 fan, I had all 3 of Pearl, Diamond and Platinum; and Heartgold is probably my 2nd favorite game of the entire series. But that was a long time ago. The series has been on a downward trajectory for a long time now, and you can see that the people on top really don't care all that much as long as it makes them money. The fact a shot-for-shot remake, a game with all the infrastructure for its game loop already implemented, looks this shoddy in 2021 shows they do not care. I don't see an omen for bad things to come, the proof is already there.

I've... got lotsa things to say.

Firstly, you're still treating these games as if they're made by the same company, they're not. Yes, TPC is involved, they are in all games, but just because they are doesn't mean they're all abiding to the same standards, otherwise, Pokkén and Snap 2, both of which are developed by Namco, wouldn't be as nice looking as they do.

Second, and I should've said this before, but just because they're making money doesn't mean they stand up to well... the highest standards of quality. As sad as it is to say, many of these high-grossing franchises out there aren't exactly synonym with "top quality." Like seriously, who actually expects jack shit from fucking Hello Kitty or Barbie? Not all recent Mario games are grand prize winners, see the case of the newest Mario Tennis; not all MCU movies are at the same quality as the Russo brothers' work, and I could ramble all day about Dragon Ball Super ranging mediocre to terrible as far as quality is concerned.

Now, when it comes to the problems with the higher ups, yeah I agree, there's definitely a problem with them. It's been there since around Gen 4 or so. Biggest problem is these people don't have confidence in their work anymore. Masuda and Ishihara especially, one is so traumatized with cell phones to the point he thinks he can't deliver, while the other expected the Nintendo Switch to fail because of that as well. I definitely believe new people should get take their places.

However, the graphics? Is that the worst thing they've ever done? No. I think there are far more concerning things than just how a game looks. Pokémon's main attraction has always been catching, trading and battling magical creatures. It's always been like that. If the devs were to say that you can only catch the original DP dex and not anything else, that would be worth getting worked up at them; if they said you can't transfer your pokémon to Home or to Sword and Shield, it'd definitely be the same; heck, if they stated that one use TMs and the shitty HMs from past games are returning, that'd be worth filling YT with tons of critique videos.

That's all I'm saying, graphics aren't the most concerning thing out there.

I've been very critical about the franchise in general, especially storytelling. I think the games, anime, manga and online series all suck when it comes to making stories. I think the franchise needs new blood and people who care. However, just like I think there are terrible things running inside, I also believe they're running outisde. Remember when people praised a chinese bootleg for supposedly having better graphics than the Switch games until it turned out their animations were stolen? That took a lot of their credibility, and there wasn't any way I'd still be supporting movements like Dexit with people like them.
#49  March 01, 2021, 12:21:27 am
    • Brazil
I really hope they're not stupid enough to bring back one use TMs and HMs back. Hell, fan games have done better than that, its not hard to change it.
#50  March 01, 2021, 12:40:09 am
    • USA
Oh god.

Honestly, while I can stomach HMs... if they bring back finite TMs, I'm breaking something.
#51  March 01, 2021, 12:40:23 am
I really hope they're not stupid enough to bring back one use TMs and HMs back.
They already did in the forms of TR's.  One of the reasons what's keeping me from progressing onward with team building is the sheer amount of TR's that a single Pokémon can learn and the vast amounts of movesets and strats that is just way too much for me to memorize with the sheer amount of mons out there.

At least TRs can be farmed in the Wild Area.
#52  March 01, 2021, 12:42:56 am
    • USA
TMs breaking after use already was brought back.  They're in Sword and Shield just under a new name.

There's just also a huge imbalance in the ratio you obtain copies of all of them to the rate you'd ever want to use them that with little effort last I checked I have some 80+ copies of most of rotting in the bag.

HMs I'm never sure how I want them to handle them.  They're intrusive, annoying in battle....and really the wall of difficulty you want in Pokemon games that's been lacking.  At least early on.  I don't have an answer how they should tackle that issue, just I'm not 100% against their removal.  Their inclusion is just one of many things to balance in your team to make it through the world map, and I liked that back in gen 1 needing to have that designated flier and someone to surf you around and working your moveset around that.  But I also wholeheartedly get why people praise moving past them.  Though I dunno why they need the games any EASIER, SwSh can be beaten in your sleep.
#53  March 01, 2021, 12:52:09 am
    • Mexico
Yeah, I think I should've worded that better. Breakable TMs already exist in Sword and Shield, but as stated upwards, they're easy as hell to farm, so it's not a problem if you sacrifice an Earthquake TR because you can just get another one anyways.

I was talking about the old "you only get them once" TMs, the type that makes you plan carefully which pokémon are gonna give them to because otherwise, you will never be able to teach the move again.
#54  March 01, 2021, 12:52:24 am
    • Brazil
Their inclusion is just one of many things to balance in your team to make it through the world map
Balancing, my ass. Limiting, is what it was doing. "You can build a team of six pokemon with four moves each, except one of them that will end up being a dump for a bunch of garbage moves that will occupy space in your party and will never be used in battle". If all moves were useful or strong like Surf, I would MAYBE give it a pass, but even then, it still goes completely against the idea of variety, since it forces you to use specific Pokemon with specific moves.

Though I dunno why they need the games any EASIER, SwSh can be beaten in your sleep.
Maybe if they could code decent AI, having NPCs that actually strategize, this wouldn't be a problem. Making a game challenging doesn't mean you have to make it inconvenient, in fact, having full control over your team means you'd be able to think more about what you would do if progress at one point became too hard. The same could be said about permanent Exp. Share, people wouldn't complain if this didn't mean your entire team could instantly win any battle.
#55  March 01, 2021, 12:55:24 am
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
I'm 200% against HMs returning... they should remain dead! They limit the options of Pokemon you want to have and I sure hope they stay dead for these remakes. As for TMs, I think the unbreakable TMs will stay while TRs may come back unless they're gonna place them as tutoring moves since it's a remake and they always tend to have move tutors, unless they bring both TRs and move tutors with even more moves.

Now as for Hidden Power, it's real stupid how they never changed it around to support the Fairy type but since it was snapped for SwSh, they might have redone it to add Fairy type and I sure hope they also change the move to use the user's highest attack stat, much akin to how Photon Geyser used Necrozma's highest attack stat for power.

People complain about the difficulty of Pokemon games and I don't understand why. Pokemon was never difficult to begin with, it's your knowledge is what determines the difficulty. For me, the difficulty for the remakes will be extremely low because I know of type coverage and what defense stat a Pokemon is bad at (always use physical attacks against a Gardevoir, Gallade, Milotic/always use Special attacks against Floatzel, Rampardos, Staraptor, Golem, Steelix etc).
#56  March 01, 2021, 01:20:19 am
    • crepa.neocities.org
People complain about the difficulty of Pokemon games and I don't understand why. Pokemon was never difficult to begin with, it's your knowledge is what determines the difficulty.

Well, yes, but not entirely. Some pokemon games are a lot easier than others. Some Elite Four in newer games have pokemon with only 3 moves, like.. WTF?? You're an E4, you're supposed to be a challenge, and you only have 3 moves in your pokemon? Same thing with level cap. In SWSH you get the Exp Share for all your pokemon and can't turn it off, all your pokemon get over leveled. You get to the first gym with your starter in the final evolution. Meanwhile, in pokemon yellow for example, we had only a Pikachu against the first gym being Rock/Ground.
#57  March 01, 2021, 01:31:12 am
    • Brazil
Yeah, Gen I was not really difficult, but the games certainly became easier with each generation. The thing is, its not really hard to have challenge in the game, they could easily have difficulty settings that change how the AI of the Pokemon behaves and maybe change the level of some trainers. It would be great if the Hard difficulty had AI that actually tried to predict your moves and employed specific strategies, it would make the game more interesting for players who don't want to just sweep through everyone. Like I said, if it was well implemented, permanent Exp. Share would not be a problem, it would be a blessing, if anything.
#58  March 01, 2021, 01:32:40 am
    • USA
While Pokemon games have never been the pinnacle of difficulty, they've at least challenged you enough.

Nowadays the rival always picks the starter you're strong against, and they give you helpful items out the ass all the time. Looking at you, Trace...

Diamond and Pearl made you travel across 2-3 towns/cities between Gym 2 and Gym 3, for one early game bit of difficulty. Additionally, Cynthia... exists. Even at my best, whenever I replay Gen 4 these days, she can still sweep me.

For what it's worth, Sinnoh is a one of the harder regions... and such difficulty is best left preserved.
#59  March 01, 2021, 01:35:39 am
    • Brazil
Additionally, Cynthia... exists. Even at my best, whenever I replay Gen 4 these days, she can still sweep me.
I never understood where did this come from. I always dealt with her so easily...
#60  March 01, 2021, 02:21:20 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
It is definitely overrated how difficult Cynthia is. The amount of content before Cynthia makes it very easy to overlevel and you literally just need to carry a coverage move for Garchomp so it couldn't set up (ideally by making her waste time on healing).

To give Gen 4 credit, Platinum ups the difficulty curve to a significant degree both in terms of late and postgame. But the idea it sticks out as a particularly difficult game is really cause a lot of people grew up with gen 4 back when they didn't know as much as they did, and she's tough to beginners. I really don't think she's capable of sweeping unless your team is totally toploaded into one or two pokemon countered by Garchomp or Lucario.

Honestly Gen 3 was harder to me, and to its credit, the Elite 4 and RR episode in Sun and Moon/USUM were on the tougher side as well if you didn't use experience share.

People complain about the difficulty of Pokemon games and I don't understand why. Pokemon was never difficult to begin with, it's your knowledge is what determines the difficulty.

Well, yes, but not entirely. Some pokemon games are a lot easier than others. Some Elite Four in newer games have pokemon with only 3 moves, like.. WTF?? You're an E4, you're supposed to be a challenge, and you only have 3 moves in your pokemon? Same thing with level cap. In SWSH you get the Exp Share for all your pokemon and can't turn it off, all your pokemon get over leveled. You get to the first gym with your starter in the final evolution. Meanwhile, in pokemon yellow for example, we had only a Pikachu against the first gym being Rock/Ground.
You just needed to catch a Mankey there though
#61  March 01, 2021, 02:27:28 am
    • USA
It is definitely overrated how difficult Cynthia is. The amount of content before Cynthia makes it very easy to overlevel and you literally just need to carry a coverage move for Garchomp so it couldn't set up (ideally by making her waste time on healing).

To give Gen 4 credit, Platinum ups the difficulty curve to a significant degree both in terms of late and postgame. But the idea it sticks out as a particularly difficult game is really cause a lot of people grew up with gen 4 back when they didn't know as much as they did, and she's tough to beginners. I really don't think she's capable of sweeping unless your team is totally toploaded into one or two pokemon countered by Garchomp or Lucario.

Honestly Gen 3 was harder to me, and to its credit, the Elite 4 and RR episode in Sun and Moon/USUM were on the tougher side as well if you didn't use experience share.

That's fair enough -- personally I still find Gen 4 challenging even now (not as much as I used to) but I get it. And I will agree that Gen 3 was pretty damn hard.

Even without experience share in USUM tho I found myself bordering Level 80 by the time I got to the Elite Four and Champ and that was with zero grinding.

Not as bad as X/Y where I had two Level 100 Pokemon by the time I got to the Elite Four... yiiiiikes.
#62  March 01, 2021, 02:32:01 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Level 80 sounds a bit high for no grinding at all, but I don't remember the game that well.
#63  March 01, 2021, 02:34:35 am
    • USA
Level 80 sounds a bit high for no grinding at all, but I don't remember the game that well.

I was between 70 and 77 and it was icky. I was lower leveled by 10-15 in Sun and Moon when I got to the E4/Champ.

Ngl if you want an actually challenging Pokemon game, I'd say the most difficult is Colosseum... it's amazing how complex a game with nothing but Double Battles is. Requires a lot more thought.
#64  March 01, 2021, 04:15:02 am
XD Gale of Darkness has the most challenging Final Boss I've ever experienced in any mainline RPG no matter how much The Pokemon Company tries to ignore its existence.

Double battling while maintaining your Pokémon's health WHILE attempting to snag the Final Boss' Shadow team WHILE every Shadow attack does Super Effective damage to your non Shadow mons.

Genius Sonority doing another mainline Pokémon spinoff is a pipedream.
#65  March 01, 2021, 04:16:22 am
    • USA
XD Gale of Darkness has the most challenging Final Boss I've ever experienced in any mainline RPG no matter how much The Pokemon Company tries to ignore its existence.

Double battling while maintaining your Pokémon's health WHILE attempting to snag the Final Boss' Shadow team WHILE every Shadow attack does Super Effective damage to your non Shadow mons.

Personally I think Colosseum's final boss is harder but yeah, XD's climactic fight was a damn acid trip nightmare.

Now if only those games would get re-released... but Nintendo really hates remembering that the GameCube ever happened so, fat chance of that ever happening.
#66  March 01, 2021, 04:27:58 am
    • USA
Oddly, while that's true, Pokemon Go also prety much copypasted Orre's Shadow Pokemon, concept and execution and all.  Just missing a Celebi tie-in, to my recollection.
#67  March 01, 2021, 05:05:10 am
    • Brazil

That's just arbitrary difficulty. You're waiting for the RNG to favor you instead of actually defeating the boss, which would be much easier. Not a good design, very garbage, in fact.
#68  March 01, 2021, 03:25:32 pm
    • USA
Something tells me you wouldn't enjoy fishing.

Randomness isn't the be-all enemy of difficulty.  Physics engines like Half-Life or questionable reactions like Super Mario Sunshine make them all the more memorable, and I'd say from the way many remember then, fun.  Hell, I don't play them but seems people adore Xcom games, in the same breath they're bringing up how placing a gun upside someone's chin is a 50/50 chance of hitting.

There is enjoyment to be had in running your odds and holding out to beat them.  His Shadow Pokemon example is a good one, I too remember having to capture the 7 of them and, well, it was fun.
#69  March 01, 2021, 04:24:25 pm
    • USA
I would certainly say XD’s take on a final boss of Pokémon is innovative as hell. Definitely pretty good design in my eyes.
#70  March 01, 2021, 06:01:54 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
One of the bongs who worked in XD worked his way though GF and served as art director for Sw/Sh, so it's Orre or the mechanics developed in those games making a comeback in some way or shape doesn't seem impossible at this point.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/James_Turner
#71  March 01, 2021, 06:38:23 pm
    • Mexico

That's just arbitrary difficulty. You're waiting for the RNG to favor you instead of actually defeating the boss, which would be much easier. Not a good design, very garbage, in fact.

You know that you don't have to snag his full team if you don't want to, right? There is literally nothing stopping you from just KO'ing his team and coming back later overleveled and just bringing stronger pokemon with status moves and shit to snag his team. You can get rid of the "shitty RNG" and it is still a challenging boss fight.
#72  March 03, 2021, 05:22:36 am
  • Every journey has it's final day, don't rush.
    • USA
Knowing how many hours I put into every Pokemon game I play,  I'm still looking forward to it despite not being too overly excited. The chibi style sort of put me off a bit but I'll get used to it.

I'm sure there will be a post game story featuring one of the mythical Pokemon just like how ORAS had with the Delta Episode via Deoxys.
#73  March 03, 2021, 08:58:57 am
    • USA
I would say I’m expecting a Giratina/Distortion World post game chapter but I need more info on what this remake will entail before I start making predictions.
#74  March 04, 2021, 12:12:26 am
    • USA
I just had a realization.

....... will the Hearthome Gym return to being multiple choice math problems? Dear god please no.
#75  March 04, 2021, 12:17:54 am
    • Brazil
I'm pretty sure they'll keep the improvements from Platinum, as well as the Pokemon that showed up in that one.
#76  March 04, 2021, 12:46:26 am
    • USA
I'm pretty sure they'll keep the improvements from Platinum, as well as the Pokemon that showed up in that one.

Fingers crossed they do. I've become more optimistic these days about what the remakes will entail, my paranoia has mostly died down... though I do worry about some of things that would make the game TOO faithful.
#77  March 04, 2021, 01:02:23 am
    • Brazil
Woooooooo... Finite TMMMMMMs... woooooooo... HM slaaaaaaaaaves...
#78  March 04, 2021, 09:33:38 am
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
The big thing is if they will bring back the battle frontier. It was only in platinum and I fear they might do another ORAS with it.
-STREET FIGHTER VI WAITING ROOM-
-DRAGON QUEST XII WAITING ROOM-
#79  March 04, 2021, 01:32:06 pm
    • Philippines
    • https://web.archive.org/web/20181226221429/http://moogen.piiym.net/
#80  March 04, 2021, 02:23:16 pm
  • I am become Death, Destroyer of Tiers
    • UK
You just know they are gonna port Galar's Battle Tower over to Sinnoh like they did with the Battle Maison in ORAS.

Honestly, it depends how "faithful" these remakes are. They could do a HGSS which had a solid combo of stuff from G/S, C and new stuff too.
#81  March 04, 2021, 08:22:19 pm
    • Brazil
I'm just gonna leave this here, excuse me:

#82  March 04, 2021, 08:25:32 pm
    • USA
Hot.

I mean wut.
#83  March 05, 2021, 05:50:29 am
Said library also had a Pokémon become a human after sheding it's skin.

What are the odds those will be retconned including the lake bombings that killed all those Magikarps?
#84  March 05, 2021, 05:54:24 am
    • USA
#85  March 05, 2021, 06:11:44 am
    • USA
Said library also had a Pokémon become a human after sheding it's skin.
Alternative take; they add to the messed up concept and tie this to Ninjask/Shedinja.  Koga's just three Ninjask in a trenchcoat.

Didn't one of the vaguely recent Pokemon movies with Diancie have a royal family with a shiny Gardevoir relative?  And I think Pokemon Conquest never dropped this factoid in-universe, not sure since I didn't play that one?
#86  March 05, 2021, 06:13:55 am
Isn't that like... important??
Not anymore.  You see, in this remake, Team Galactic will conviently use their pickaxes and somehow cause the walls to crash with a loud enough rumble that attracts our heroes to their direction.

#SaveTheFishes

Ironically Ninjask'd
#87  March 05, 2021, 06:17:02 am
    • USA
I mean....it's Magikarp.  To this day the Pokemon Company upholds the tradition that the species is too stupid to live outside being too stupid to die.

A reminder this is official.
#88  March 05, 2021, 06:54:30 am
    • crepa.neocities.org
Which is a shame, cause I love Magikarp.... not even being ironic, it's one of my favorite pokemon.
#89  March 05, 2021, 06:55:56 am
    • USA
Magikarp falls into the same vein as Quagsire in that it's such an oddball derp that you just have to love.
#90  March 05, 2021, 10:13:39 am
  • MUGEN IS MY LIFE /I promise from not to derail.
Esaka rules Beat that.... Or Just Get outta my way
#91  March 05, 2021, 12:01:11 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
I want to like the remakes and them being developed by a different studio makes it possible for them to not be terrible, but I dunno. Just have to wait and see. Character models and the battle scene look horrible.

Arceus game has Pokémon animating at like 15fps so that's a great sign of what's to come. Throw a Poké Ball at a Shinx and it doesn't react, nor does the Shinx next to it. Pokémon is so far behind everything else, but people will keep buying it in droves so why should Game Freak try?

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#92  March 06, 2021, 03:25:19 am
    • Brazil
I just hope they buff/give new evolutions to shit Pokemon like Luvdisc and Unown. Also, Regigigas desperately help too.
#93  March 06, 2021, 03:52:10 am
    • USA
Unown wouldn't make sense to evolve.  Frankly, they need to be reworked altogether because they were a gimmick for gen 2 and its accompanying movie.  Reworking it would go hand-in-hand with fixing Hidden Power though, so I'm all down for it.  I could imagine an Exodia-esque team composed of just Unown spelling some word would provide a team-wide boost or something like that.

Luvdisc is intentionally horrible to be used to farm, that can stay as is.  What doesn't need to be is Luvdisctwo.  Alomomola just being Luvdisc but again because gen 5's soft reboot deal did not pan out.  If it was a hard reboot and everything prior to gen 5 was cut out and discarded, maybe it would have some use as the new Magikarp pathetic pokemon, but as is it's just a repeat but slightly larger.  I think a neat idea would be another cross-generational pairing/rivalry like Tauros and Miltank, and just buff the two in opposite directions of usage.
#94  March 06, 2021, 05:46:22 pm
  • MUGEN IS MY LIFE /I promise from not to derail.
Regigigas could use Azure Flute to break it's ability or some random item that would get destroyed hence rendering it with Slow Start. I mean this could be interesting case if explored in Arceus Spinoff!
Esaka rules Beat that.... Or Just Get outta my way
#95  March 06, 2021, 09:46:44 pm
    • Brazil
They could give him Skill Swap, nobody will want to get hit by that move if Regigigas uses it. Or just straight up remove the shitty ability and let him be a fucking Uber.
#96  March 06, 2021, 10:22:55 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
They're not going to do that for a remake.

Or a new game.

Or ever.

#97  March 06, 2021, 10:34:43 pm
Regis is actually doing way better in Doubles thanks to Neutralizing Gas and its Dynamax for living nuke functions.

It would be funny if they give some kind of held item that removes Slow Start tho.
#98  March 06, 2021, 10:59:08 pm
    • Brazil
I will never get the point of abilities like those. If Regigigas had Skill Swap, Slow Start would actually make him a good counter to fast physical attackers, but no, it exists literally to be a long ass hindrance to the Pokemon. Abilities should be a way to give different interesting strengths to Pokemon, not to be a "you're useless" tag.
#99  March 06, 2021, 11:04:46 pm
    • crepa.neocities.org
That kind of ability exist to balance them, like Slaking. They are good stats pokemon with a bad ability. But in the case of Slow Start, they went too far I think? I agree that should have a way to get rid of SS, but I don't think it's going to happen.
#100  March 06, 2021, 11:10:24 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
regigigas would be pretty centralizing without SS in gen 8 ubers. for that matter, slaking would also definitely be in ubers as well.
#101  March 06, 2021, 11:25:32 pm
    • USA
Huh, I guess stupid realization, I just never bothered to look into Regigigas much deeper after everyone realized how much it sucks early on.  I didn't think Neutralizing Gas would work with it?  I thought Slow Start had to complete its full 5 turn run to restore its stats, removing the ability would just leave it at half capacity for the rest of the fight.

Neat.
#102  March 06, 2021, 11:47:12 pm
    • Brazil
That kind of ability exist to balance them, like Slaking. They are good stats pokemon with a bad ability. But in the case of Slow Start, they went too far I think? I agree that should have a way to get rid of SS, but I don't think it's going to happen.
Balance? Who the fuck cares about balancing a legendary? Besides, if they want the Pokemon to not be too powerful, then maybe don't give him ridiculous stats?
#103  March 06, 2021, 11:48:27 pm
Phione deserves justice yall
#104  March 07, 2021, 12:49:59 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Yeah why care about balance period, give every pokemon max BST

I am very smart at game design
#105  March 07, 2021, 01:34:55 am
    • Brazil
We're talking about a Legendary here, I'm not saying they should pick any random Pokemon. Regigigas being weak to the point where he can't be on Ubers is one thing, but being so weak to the point where he is untiered is absolutely ridiculous.
#106  March 07, 2021, 01:41:58 am
Even without the ability, it gets hard countered by Bulky Ghosts, Skarm, Corviknight, etc. (EDIT: Never mind, ran some calcs about how a Choice Banded non-hindered Gigas would fare and uh yea)

Gigas is better suited in Doubles, honestly.  It has more success than whatever it does in Singles.  Not all Pokémon have to excel in Singles and not everything has to revolve around Smogon meta.
Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 01:50:54 am by Kirishima
#107  March 07, 2021, 01:56:09 am
    • Brazil
"Not excelling" doesn't mean "not working at all".

EDIT: By the way, because of the remakes, I became more interested in the games, I already completed Platinum multiple times, are Diamond and Pearl different enough to be worth playing again?
Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 02:18:28 am by Macaulyn97
#108  March 07, 2021, 02:29:51 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
There is 0 reason to play diamond and pearl over platinum, theyre functionally worse due to engine issues and have less content.
#109  March 07, 2021, 02:32:47 am
    • Brazil
Well, I guess I'll just play Platinum again, then. But I'll just hack in a team with purely NU Pokemon so I can finally understand why Cynthia is considered hard.
#110  March 07, 2021, 02:50:00 am
    • USA
Same reason why Doom 3 is considered a "horror game".  Surprise and being underprepared.  The saying that no Pokemon game is hard rings mostly true....with hindsight.  You got a few spots where you can muscle through without thought but going in, running into someone like Red or Cynthia unaware is what's most fondly remembered.  That's it, that's the whole reason.

Also having character to her character helps.  Along with a pretty good theme song.
#111  March 07, 2021, 12:51:42 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
Yeah why care about balance period, give every pokemon max BST

This is the same team that created Mega Rayquaza and decided a Pokémon should have Choice Band as an ability, which can then stack with an actual Choice Band or Scarf.

Also works the other way because they refuse to give Typhlosion Earth Power or swap Sceptile's attacking stats.

#112  March 07, 2021, 02:17:41 pm
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
Also works the other way because they refuse to give Typhlosion Earth Power or swap Sceptile's attacking stats.

If Johto starters were added to SwSh, Typhlosion would've gotten Scorching Sands at least but it might also get Earth Power cuz, well, it's known as the Volcano Pokemon. They gave Venusaur, Abomasnow and the Poliwag line Earth Power so it might happen... maybe. Also, don't you hate it when a Pokemon gets great coverage but it's for an attacking stat they're not dominant at?
#113  April 18, 2021, 03:48:51 am
    • USA
    • Skype - Uche1234@hotmail.com
Either way, I am getting the games.
#114  May 26, 2021, 04:47:55 pm
Release dates confirmed

4th Gen Remakes: November 19, 2021
Legends Arceus:  January 28, 2022

More news to come in E3.
#115  May 26, 2021, 10:42:07 pm
    • USA
BDSP's is about the expected timeframe.  Legends Arcues both being so close to the other's release while also missing out on the winter holiday rush to also push their big new main team experiment is a bit more odd.  The skeptic in me wonders if they don't value Legends' success as much as the gen 4 remakes, but then that kinda works against the whole reason for this endeavor to begin with.  So whatever, we'll see how things turn out then.

The new boxart renders don't fill me with "Oh wow, new legendary forms" awe, just standard versions being flashy.  Mildly amusing they're counter to SwSh of the same generation with the black backgrounds though.  Would line up with their proclamation that these remakes are exceptionally faithful to the original versions, but its hard to imagine at this current point in time they didn't do something new with them at all.  Will just have to wait and see.

Pure nitpicking to the nth degree on the boxart here, but I'm not a fan how Dialga gets to have his chest shine, so from the middle and bigger perspective, but Palkia only has one shoulder shining.  Should have both glowing, even if the other is facing away from the viewer's perspective.

Also nitpicking but this is on the Pokemon in general.  Dialga and Palkia were always supposed to look "weird", they're alien god nonsense.  But the more detail they put on their models like the pre-rendered cutouts here, the more I can't ignore their faces are just Muppets.  Dialga's lack of top fangs going at a 90° angle from face to inside of mouth is very distracting and very funny in that he looks like a hand puppet.
Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 10:47:26 pm by Long John Killer
#116  May 27, 2021, 12:38:48 am
  • Formerly JordanoDaMano (JDM)
    • Canada
My guess is that by "faithful" remakes, they mean sticking more to the top-down perspective and chibi-ish art style the original Gen 4 games are known for. This is pure speculation, but based on some things noticed in the reveal trailer people are saying that stuff from Platinum is being incorporated into the remakes. I sure hope so, I would love to see the Distortion World in HD.
#117  May 27, 2021, 01:15:46 am
    • USA
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I would love to see this game to be more on the Platinum side of things, as much as possible. I'd be disappointed if the level of faithful was straight up a 1:1 redux with practically nothing different.

Distortion World, Battle Frontier, more than 2 fire types... all sorts of great things I'd be unhappy to see not make it in.
#118  May 27, 2021, 01:45:34 am
    • USA
Not to dredge up the "fun" topic again, but national dex; we've got a lot more new monsters since generation 4 and going by Let's Go's example they are willing to introduce new additions to trade for non-native monsters to help boost your roster a la all the Alolan forms can be got in Let's Go.  That's a much smaller pool to draw from and we've had contradicting information from Masuda in 2019, understandable.  We know their apparent plan going forward from SwSh is that all future games will likewise keep handpicked monsters just out of the game's code entirely.  But I am left to imagine that being within the same generation as SwSh, these titles will be capable of at least trading and battling with all the SwSh-included monsters, if not findable in BDSP.

All that said doesn't exactly help the initial unedited game for newcomers, your pick of Fire-mons is gonna likely still be limited, and early trading breaks ANY game, that's why they at least had the gym badges as some form of speed bump.

Speaking of battling though, I do still wonder if they'll just drop the dynamax thing for cross-game fights?  They are particularly strict that dynamax is a Galar-only thing.  Hell, Pokemon Masters makes note of that no one else gets it and the Galar cast make a point of it being missing elsewhere in the world, Piers being fine and dandy about it.

I suppose a possible workaround would be the sad fate that yeah, SwSh and BDSP can't communicate with each other directly but they make you go through Pokemon Home.  But that'd suck so boo.
#119  May 27, 2021, 12:12:24 pm
  • Back to the Beginnings
    • https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
Honestly, I am more excited for Legends Arceus than for Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl.

Legends Arceus might end up being the first step into the right direction, which is a major franchise shake up that the Pokémon series desperately needs.
It desperately needs to evolve, to innovate, to become...ya know, more modern.

Meanwhile, we have Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl, which is the same fucking game as the last few generations, and for this game more than any other game before it, it looks like a fucking 3DS game stuck on the Nintendo Switch.
Hell, even Sword/Shield looks better than Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl, and that game was already ugly as sin (looking at you, Wild Area tree with N64 graphics). And guess what, Sword/Shield was ALSO just the same game as Sun/Moon, but worse.
And Sun/Moon, outside of the island trials, was also just the same game as X/Y, but worse.
And X/Y was also just the same game as Black/White, but worse.

Seriously, Gen 5 was the LAST time a mainline Pokémon game was good, and ever since then, the mainline games went down the dogs by being just the same fucking game again as last time, but even worse, and it's absolutely frustrating to see that TPC is STILL continuing this awful trend.

This is why I am sincerely hoping that Legends Arceus will sell much MUCH better than Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl. Maybe THAT will finally send a message to TPC...
...a message that says that the mainline Pokémon games need to finally evolve past their outdated formula and finally innovate themselves big time, just like many other big RPG series like Final Fantasy.
===My discord servers===
Unlimited Force HQ: https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
Mega Man Megamix Engine Help Server: https://discord.gg/Wjm9GYU

Touhou database (by Ryouchi):
http://mugenfreeforall.com/index.php?/topic/8257-touhou-project/
you are all small and can't grow manly sideburns
#120  May 27, 2021, 11:52:40 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
My main concern is that the release date for Arceus game is worryingly close considering how unfinished the game looked back in February, especially since this is Game Freak we're talking about here. I wouldn't be surprised if those 5fps Pokémon animations make it into the final build.

#121  August 18, 2021, 04:28:28 pm

New trailer after what felt like years showcasing the Hisui region where it will later become the Sinnoh region.  Regional pokemon confirmed including Growlithe and Braviery as well as new Pokemon from current era ones such as Stantler to Wyrdeer and Basculin to Basculegion.

Protags can get hurt by Wild Pokemon and battles will take a different approach.

New trailer for Sinnoh "remakes".  Literally the same as how they were in the DS games from Contest, Ball Stickers, no redesigns in key characters.  There are no Ranked battles meaning there is a strong chance the Dex will just consist of those found in the OG Sinnoh Dex.

All games will be compatible with Home.
#122  August 18, 2021, 06:01:02 pm
  • I am become Death, Destroyer of Tiers
    • UK
£60 for Diamond/Pearl but with character customization, lmao no.

Legends looks good though. Will keep a eye on it. Eager to see more of the story.
And regional mons are always good. Super surprised with the new evos though. At last my boy Stantler will have a chance to shine.

Interesting that it's compatible with Home, although good. That means the new mons wont be locked away like Notched Ear Pichu(lol lmao)
#123  August 18, 2021, 06:24:55 pm
  • Self-proclaimed best creator!
Let's not forget Basculin's evolution. Finally this pirahna Pokemon got some love.
This is fate.
#124  August 18, 2021, 06:31:50 pm
    • USA
I like how the remakes are looking tbh, I can breathe easy knowing there's SOME new stuff at the moment.

But damn Legends is looking dope. Love what they're doing with it and the new Growlithe form has me loving life again lol
#125  August 18, 2021, 08:11:52 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
I feel like these are the trailers they should've shown as the first viewing, even if it meant delaying the reveals.

I also fail to believe Game Freak managed to take a game that had two Pokémon in the background running at 5fps to something that has several at once running at an actual framerate. Someone's gotta be helping them with this.

But uh, yay, the Pokémon now respond to being bonked by a Poké Ball or something happening near them.

#126  August 18, 2021, 10:59:33 pm
    • USA
My initial thoughts run to if there are regional forms of some monsters in Hisui, and Hisui becomes Sinnoh over multiple generations, then canonically these regional variants are all extinct in the present day.  Which is sad.

Would be funny if the following game or even BDSP here takes liberties with the fossil resurrections mottif the games reuse a bunch to let you get these Arceus monsters though.

Weird they didn't cover Hisuian Growlithe's typing.  Was gonna guess it was Water but then it used what appears to be an ATB version of Rock Slide.  And a Rock-type Growlithe is essentially just Lycanroc again.  Base Arcanine is already just weaker Entei, would kinda suck if the new Growlithe line is already outclassed out of the gate.
Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 11:15:39 pm by Long John Killer
#127  August 19, 2021, 12:44:14 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
you couldn't find a more uninspired, transparent cash grab than these "remakes"
#128  August 20, 2021, 12:54:49 am
    • USA
https://legends.pokemon.com/en-us/pokemon/growlithe/

So turns out Hisuian Growlithe is Fire/Rock type.  Alright.  That's neat enough I guess.

New trailer for Sinnoh "remakes".  Literally the same as how they were in the DS games from Contest, Ball Stickers, no redesigns in key characters.  There are no Ranked battles meaning there is a strong chance the Dex will just consist of those found in the OG Sinnoh Dex.
While that is a likely possibility, seeing Game Freak hasn't gone back on their statements at the beginning of the gen 8 detail reveals about no future games having full pokedexes, I was more taking that to mean the lack of ranked battles means no dynamax to push the gen's new feature.  Which yeah, there was the whole lore thing making having it at all outside Galar pretty unlikely to begin with, but they can handwave that away as easy as they are for Pokemon Masters if they so pleased.
#129  October 25, 2021, 08:16:28 pm
    • Brazil

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#130  October 27, 2021, 02:13:43 pm

Spoiler: Also their origins are really effed up (click to see content)

Also Scyther gets a new evo, Kleavor, a Bug/Rock type who will serve as one of the game's Bosses where you must quell its anger as you dodge their attacks.
#131  October 27, 2021, 10:51:10 pm
  • SNK is life
Nintendo keeps getting away with these PS2 Looking Releases with great impunity! XD

(Still hype tho)
#132  October 28, 2021, 01:20:03 am
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
For anyone still interested in the remakes, you can get the Platinum outfits for the protags as an early purchase bonus, which is probably the only glimpse of Platinum you'll get, sadly.

#133  October 28, 2021, 01:21:43 am
    • USA
For anyone still interested in the remakes, you can get the Platinum outfits for the protags as an early purchase bonus, which is probably the only glimpse of Platinum you'll get, sadly.

Miserable.

God these remakes are fucking shit lol every trailer just keeps killing me.
#134  October 28, 2021, 01:25:37 am
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
We will really never see the battle frontier again :(
Online battle frontier would have been so cool
-STREET FIGHTER VI WAITING ROOM-
-DRAGON QUEST XII WAITING ROOM-
#135  January 15, 2022, 12:25:49 am
    • Brazil

That's a long reveal.
#136  January 27, 2022, 05:16:15 pm
    • Brazil

So, apparently the Gen 4 remakes are so garbage that they didn't even change the NPCs movesets. Which means there are Gen 4 moves that aren't usable in Gen 8, but are still there.
#137  January 27, 2022, 05:44:35 pm
  • SNK is life
This is ... insanely lazy, omg
#138  January 27, 2022, 07:13:15 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
they didn't even change the NPCs movesets.

Not to defend this game, but unchanged from what? Fantina's Banette in Platinum (the only prior instance of her having one) didn't know any of those moves, let alone Snatch.

This was coded in especially, then patched out.

#139  January 27, 2022, 07:29:04 pm
    • Brazil
If anything that makes it even worse, because they probably copy-pasted random moves from her learnset without thinking twice about it.
#140  January 27, 2022, 09:17:28 pm
This is ... insanely lazy, omg
Not as lazy as this.

Also, Arceus game is out tomorrow and already out in some regions.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 09:23:18 pm by Kirishima