YesNoOk

Preferred Stage type/style? (Read 5300 times)

Started by RagingRowen, June 05, 2020, 05:54:23 pm
Share this topic:

Poll

Stage type/style?

Low-Res in general
3 (6.7%)
Low-Res (Source Accurate)
7 (15.6%)
Low-Res (Custom/Parallax)
16 (35.6%)
High-Res in General
5 (11.1%)
High-Res (Source Accurate)
5 (11.1%)
High-Res (Custom)
9 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: June 10, 2020, 05:54:23 pm

Preferred Stage type/style?
#1  June 05, 2020, 05:54:23 pm
  • Formerly known as HyperClawManiac
  • Competitive MUGEN when?
    • UK
    • sites.google.com/view/ragingrowen/home

I'm just admiring what people decide on for stages seeing Screenshots around this forum and I wanted to ask the question.

For Low-Res (Custom/Parallax) I'm referring to stuff by the likes of Shiyo Kakuge, AVPBoy and MatreroG.
WIP Schedule:
The next Street Fighter All-Stars update
Re: Preferred Stage type/style?
#2  June 05, 2020, 06:06:28 pm
  • Indeed
I'm on the low-res side.

I love looking at high-res stages, most of them are aesthetically amazing, but once I get to play the graphic style clashes with the low-res characters I use, and I don't like it. I prefer using low-res stages for style consistency.

And yeah, Shiyo Kakuge's style taught me that you don't need groundbreaking visuals for amazing effects. That style is both visually pleasant and consistent with the graphic style of most characters.
#3  June 05, 2020, 09:11:18 pm
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
    • https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/8108265
 Lo-res or hi-res doesn't really matter for me, although, in terms of details, fantasy or science fiction stages usually attract my fancy. Parallax is definitely ideal for me to appreciate the life going on in the stage, but ironically, I am not very fond of stages with spectators in them either. They definitely need a consistent overall theme to make all these elements I describe work correctly for my tastes

When it comes to MUGEN 1.1, I try my hardest to find zoom variations of my preferences since a larger arena works best for when I want to play Capcom Vs/Anime styled characters, but I can settle with 1.0 for older school stuff like KoF since they're more conservative and footsies oriented in comparison.
#4  June 05, 2020, 10:39:10 pm
Overtime, I like zoom/high jump/low res most. Most of my chars are Capcom looking sprites... plus the higher res stuf is normally too big file size
#5  June 05, 2020, 10:50:15 pm
    • crepa.neocities.org
If the stage is well done it doesn't matter if is lowres or hires. I usually stick with lowres because of their simplicity and because I like pixel-art a lot. Plus many hires stages tend to be too heavy for my little toaster, not all of them of course, as I said, if the stage is well done it doesn't matter, but there are tons of hires stages with too much fancy elements that sometimes get in the way and are too distractive. Hue layers in the stages is one example of things I DON'T like, while it makes the stage a bit cooler, it also makes it laggy and distractive. Hopefully what I'm saying makes sense lol.

Edit: I also forgot to mention I hate horizontally short stages (shorter than 2 screens at least). I'm sort of claustrophobic when the stage is too small.
Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 11:18:23 pm by DeathScythe
#6  June 05, 2020, 11:10:13 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Eegardless of Res my favorite type of stage is stages that have "measurement blocks", that is visually speaking you can clearly tell where on the stage you are so you can use that as reference for your fighting strategy.
#7  June 06, 2020, 12:20:21 am
  • ✭HUE HUE HUE✭
I preffer Higher resolutions, but mostly because of the settings i use, as every character are usually Hires {Guilty gear, ect} or HD {Blazblue, Dengeki,ect} which looks quite off with pixelated backgrounds and the bigger screen since run Mugen at 720p.

And as someone who makes stages, the higher resolution usually makes Custom stages so much easier due resources.
#8  June 06, 2020, 01:57:11 am
  • BRAIIIIINS!!
  • "Khh- Ahahahaha!"
    • Chile
I have a preference for hi-res stages, the characters I use along the hi-res stages kinda give me CvS2 vibes and that's something I love ^^
#9  June 07, 2020, 03:52:33 am
My preference didn't fall into to any

I don't mind it's low res or high res, it just need to be nice. (yeah low res also can be nice looking)

I prefer wide screen + zoom (Because I don't have to tweek it)

#10  June 14, 2020, 06:06:32 am
  • Guilty Gear XRD Rev Mugen Stages
  • We live in a society
    • Dominica
I preference is Low-Res (Custom/Parallax)
#11  June 21, 2020, 11:41:38 am
  • Formerly known as HyperClawManiac
  • Competitive MUGEN when?
    • UK
    • sites.google.com/view/ragingrowen/home

Forgot about this for a sec. Custom Low-Res it seems to be.
WIP Schedule:
The next Street Fighter All-Stars update
#12  June 21, 2020, 02:23:24 pm
  • Vs Style Debuts Tag Project CEO
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
Definitely Custom Low-Res for me.
Beware the Dark Wolf once more!