YesNoOk

Best Capture card for current gen systems? (Read 6146 times)

Started by Sheng Long, September 03, 2015, 01:31:09 am
Share this topic:
Best Capture card for current gen systems?
#1  September 03, 2015, 01:31:09 am
  • Video Game Veteran
  • Can you do it? SUREYOUCAN!
    • USA
    • gcnmario.free.fr
Anyone have an opinion on what is the best capture card to live stream current gen consoles like Wii U?

I WANT to start streaming games, probably from the Wii U. I have tried different capture cards, with no good results below:

- Dazzle: crap quality - NO sound due to audio issues. Additional tools required to fix it. No wide screen option.
- Happauge HD PVR (1st edition) - Tried it but can't even see anything on OBS Multi-Platform. Can't even recognize a resolution setting on regular OBS.
- BlitzBox - Slightly broken on the power cord box. Cords also too short to reach from my games to my PC. Quite possibly limited.

I have heard of newer, or better cards like ElGato. or just the GAMECAP (title by itself) that might do the Wii U. I am also going to use OBS through for twitch.tv.

So, Does anyone have any thoughts? Or anyone know what companies like GameSpot, IGN, GameXplain use to stream their Wii U's to the community?

I don't want to spend anything higher than $100. I have already spent over $100 on these other cap cards I have tried over the past years, but I would need something better that we have today in 2015 that I can play/stream my Wii U on.

"You must defeat my flaming
dragon punch to stand a chance."
Re: Best Capture card for current gen systems?
#2  September 03, 2015, 01:54:30 am
  • EL FUCKO GRANDE
  • I'm back, nerds
    • Canada
#3  September 03, 2015, 02:31:57 am
  • Video Game Veteran
    • USA
    • gcnmario.free.fr
TME, what's that?

The GameCap device seems to be about $40. It does Component video, & composite just in case. No HD port, but Component cables should be good, right?

The Hauppauge also has a wall plug, which I don't like. Because of it, I have to plug the Hauppauge into PC's USB for display, then to game system in to Hauppauge, and then Hauppauge to TV, and stretch the power cord onto the wall. But the gamecap (above) just seems to be USB and game cords only. So I was considering it but I'm unsure of the quality, or if it'll run in OBS.

Also, I read someone using the original Hauppauge with the recorder it comes with, then just stream the window. Though that would cause an audio desync, I imagine, as well as quality drop (since you don't stream directly from game screen, but from the window of the game from the software).

#4  September 07, 2015, 06:07:59 pm
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
I use an Elgato HD (the older version on their site. Not the HD 60). It can capture my Wii U just fine and it cost about $150 (maybe a little less). It was worth it as I was using a much worse capture card before that cost significantly more money. I'll never buy from that company again. It was Blackmagic. Just stay away from them.

I use OBS for streaming to Hitbox, but Twitch would work just the same and it works well with Elgato. The only thing you have to remember is that if you're going to change a system to capture, you have to do so in the Gamecapture HD Software first, and then OBS, or OBS will never see it.

My advice is just don't skimp out and try to buy something budget. You get what you pay for in this world. I've come to know that in more than one way and it just doesn't pay to pay less unless you're 100% sure that you're buying a quality product. GameCap is cheap and your streams will suffer for it.

-[Все слова это только слова.]-
Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 06:12:04 pm by Алексей
#5  October 11, 2015, 12:23:36 am
  • Video Game Veteran
    • USA
    • gcnmario.free.fr
Yea, I'm beginning to think that the Elgato HD card is pretty much what I want now after screwing with shittier cheap devices. The Elgato HD60 only does HD alone, and doesn't support some older/other consoles to my knowledge. Let alone some sites not yet supporting 60 FPS like youtube or whatever.
https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/gamecapture-hd

So the regular Elgato HD that does both HD, and seems to include cables for Component video sources.

On the official site seems to be a bit higher in price. But the price on Amazon seems to be a little cheaper, but its the exact same thing. I also talked to someone about that it's not only the capture card you need to worry about, but also need to consider the encoder(s) as well. But I assume if I get the regular ElGato HD, and just install the drivers and/or software, it would work well on the OBS software. Just as long as it's a decent picture with the Elgato HD, I should be okay?

#6  October 13, 2015, 03:35:47 am
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
Yea, I'm beginning to think that the Elgato HD card is pretty much what I want now after screwing with shittier cheap devices. The Elgato HD60 only does HD alone, and doesn't support some older/other consoles to my knowledge. Let alone some sites not yet supporting 60 FPS like youtube or whatever.
https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/gamecapture-hd

So the regular Elgato HD that does both HD, and seems to include cables for Component video sources.

On the official site seems to be a bit higher in price. But the price on Amazon seems to be a little cheaper, but its the exact same thing. I also talked to someone about that it's not only the capture card you need to worry about, but also need to consider the encoder(s) as well. But I assume if I get the regular ElGato HD, and just install the drivers and/or software, it would work well on the OBS software. Just as long as it's a decent picture with the Elgato HD, I should be okay?

Yep, you'll need to install the Elgato Game Capture HD software, but OBS will be able to pick it up. In order to switch between devices, the Game Capture HD is loaded up (or at least a single window with options) from OBS. The HD can capture 60 fps at 720p and not 1080p (I think). In most cases, you'll be streaming at 30fps anyways, especially if you're net isn't the greatest... like mine, lol.

-[Все слова это только слова.]-
#7  October 13, 2015, 05:16:32 am
  • TK's Random Mugen Battle Series Guy!
  • I Think That Dirty Thoughts Are Very Bad!
    • USA
    • MrGohma99@gmail.com
    • Skype - TK8305
    • www.youtube.com/topkirby8305
I use Elgato for my video capturing needs and OBS.  w00t!

Currently LPing: Kirby Mass Attack (NDS) / LOZ:
 Eddy's 1st Quest Redone (ZC)

Next LPs: Higurashi (Steam) / LOZ:  Realm of Courage (ZC)
#8  October 13, 2015, 08:33:11 am
  • Video Game Veteran
    • USA
    • gcnmario.free.fr
Yea. Okay, so I went ahead and bought the Elgato HD normal (not the HD60, since that is HD only). So, my room setup is that the PC, and my consoles/TV systems are a complete 90 degree angle of each other. I hope the USB cord, and or any of the the other cords are long enough to make the reach, hopefully. Considering that the Elgato HD seems to be the best buy, for this generation. I hope It will actually work for this this time, since everything else I have tried so far just failed in results for me. :-/