YesNoOk

Mugen front ends (Read 3300 times)

Started by Gosunkugi, November 08, 2007, 03:19:19 pm
Share this topic:
Mugen front ends
#1  November 08, 2007, 03:19:19 pm
Had an idea last night, tell me what you think or if anyone's attempted it before.

Instead of booting up Mugen directly... (as it stands I have over a 1000 characters so it takes a few minutes, not to mention the constant scolling to find the guy I want to play with, only to find it crashing when a dodgy background stage fails to open.)  >:(

...how about a pre-booting program that offers you a few choices?

for example you'd double click onto a nice graphically based front end that maybe shows a list...

1) X-Men: Children of the Atom
2) Marvel Super Heroes
3) Marvel Versus Capcom

etc etc. And by clicking on one of them, you'd open up a Mugen with a predefined select.def just for that particular game. granted, most people won't have a complete roster of characters but there'll be that game's unique lifebars and screenpack. Instead of just getting characters, the incentive would be to get the actual game complete and as accurate as possible.

At the end of the list you'd have the 4) custom option, which would allow you filter, to add, subtract or just keep all the characters as they are for your main select. Useful for testing purposes too.

So instead of having god knows how many seperate versions of Mugen which aren't compatible, you'd have just the one, run through a main console.

Possible?  ???

Thoughts?
Secret project:
Spriting now begun.

0.2%

Big news coming soon.
Re: Mugen front ends
#2  November 08, 2007, 03:26:34 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
perfectly, and if you take out the pretty front end part of it, a lot of us have done that. check/search setup help or the tips sections to know about motifs; you can have each motif in a folder inside the data folder and run mugen using a .cmd or .bat file with the following content

for kfm mugen write
winmugen -r kfm
inside kfm.bat

for winmugen00
start /high Winmugen -r winmugen00
inside winmugen00.bat

and you would have a folder named kfm and another named winmugen00 inside the data folder. containing just a select.def , and system.def and .sff
#3  November 08, 2007, 03:57:27 pm
haha, noobish. I knew it existed in some form.

Thanks anyway, I was up till the early hours 'dosed on coffee, some part of me must have flashed on something I read here.  :-\
Secret project:
Spriting now begun.

0.2%

Big news coming soon.
#4  November 08, 2007, 08:28:38 pm
Okay, I got a Marvel Super Heroes motif to work brilliantly alongside my main winmugen, thank you!. There's a few obvious differences and it'll never be perfect, I know  :-\ but if I want perfect I'll just go and play the original arcade game right?.

This has motivated me to change a few things with my existing characters though, like giving Spider-Man and Captain America their correct MSH portraits, I'll put an addition to the name and a nice explanation in the readme so if they do end up being shared on the web at least the original creator will still have credit. I know a lot of creators don't like people messing with their shit so I'll ask permission first.

Part of my question still stands, is there a front end that will allow you to pre-select a group of characters and backgrounds into a new select.def before loading Mugen? Street Fighter vs Dragon Ball for example. So it'll be like a basic character select screen that takes about 5 seconds to load and lets you pick and choose what you want in the game.
Secret project:
Spriting now begun.

0.2%

Big news coming soon.
#5  November 08, 2007, 08:34:56 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
there is a program named windows mugen configurator, but i am not sure if it work with latest mugens, also david gee is working on something like that.
#6  November 08, 2007, 11:02:10 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
so dave; how is your research on sfa3 going ?
#7  November 08, 2007, 11:14:47 pm
  • I never really was on your side.
    • www.mugenguild.com/~davidgee
I just ripped Charlie and Dan while naming the sprites by the numbers I would be using. Prior to that, I sorted out several characters that The Dreamslayer ripped when I realized it would actually be less work to rip them myself using his ArtMoney table. Started ripping Rolento and got stuck on his explosions, which will be a bitch. --; Anyway, I would just take screenshots of everything to get completely accurate velocities and do what I can from observations of the actual game for everything else. Reasons why are (1) there are no good SFA3 characters in Mugen that I know of, and (2) after converting the entire game, I would be he who has done the most in the way of making Mugen characters while at the same time expressly not being a "Mugen creator" that is tormented by "leechers." ::)
#8  November 08, 2007, 11:36:17 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
there are some problems in the game engine itself, namely some "frameskips" in turbo mode; but i am not sure if they still exist on other vels, those frameskips give it an inconstant behaviours, that and the way mugen behaves. also, sometimes memory values (that one gets using artmoney) might not translate directly to mugen, as they are different engines anyway. those two things make think that the screenshots method is indeed, the best.
#9  November 08, 2007, 11:43:38 pm
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
Frameskip isn't that bad. You just subtract one tick for every other frame value, usually. It's better than having slow-as-hell animation.
#10  November 08, 2007, 11:45:51 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
if you want accuracy, frameskip is pretty bad.

[EDIT]

oh, and i also wonder how many changes does capcom do, both between versions of the same game (sfz1vs sfz2, vs sfz2) and between completely different games that might as well run ona  very simlar engine, like sfz - the vs series and sf3. as in, do they really bohter changing all hitdefs, moving velocities and friction values ?
Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 11:59:46 pm by R[E]ika
#11  November 08, 2007, 11:59:43 pm
BTW guys, why doing all that pain to play a complete game with mugen (considering that you can have up to 2 accurate chars by game) while you can just play the original game with all the accurate stuff, I think mugen is only good for fullgames that hasn't been played anytime before, or for dream matches that cross fighters from various games
"I’m never gonna grab anything by its balls, especially life. especially if life shows up in the incarnation where it would have testicles. if life showed up and had balls, the last thing I would do is grab those balls" - kyle kinane
#12  November 09, 2007, 12:02:41 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
same reason as why elecbyte made mugen when sfr existed.
#13  November 09, 2007, 03:57:22 am
  • I never really was on your side.
    • www.mugenguild.com/~davidgee
Didn't mean to hijack a topic about Mugen frontends, haha.

BTW guys, why doing all that pain to play a complete game with mugen (considering that you can have up to 2 accurate chars by game) while you can just play the original game with all the accurate stuff, I think mugen is only good for fullgames that hasn't been played anytime before, or for dream matches that cross fighters from various games

You can't add more characters to the original game, which is my favorite fighting game (SFA3). But you can effectively lift the characters from that game, put basically the exact same thing in Mugen (and with better sprite scaling in ShugenDo, presumably), and then the number of possible matches can be extended, and you wouldn't have to look at the same old stages and listen to the same old music anymore, and you also wouldn't have to be told to go for broke so much. Making one's own "originality"*-laden rendition of a given character might actually be more time consuming than simply copying precisely the behavior of the original game when you know the best methods to employ in doing that.

* Quotation marks used to denote an ironic use of the word. ;)
Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 04:11:46 am by DavidGee
#14  November 09, 2007, 05:04:20 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
in my experience of kof, the amount of stuff that gets recycled is astonishing. i am trying to research into the capcom games to find a similar behaviour; i care mostly for hitdefs though, thanks to influence by tenshin.
#15  November 09, 2007, 06:48:09 am
  • +1 to whoever added Godzilla to the main index.
You could also create a shortcut that passes those parameters instead of batch files.
i think we should call it an "engine" so we don't look like total idiots because otherwise we'd be arguing about a "game" and that would be somehow "dumber" than arguing about an "engine" on the "internet" for countless hours

Iced said:
I for one, do not enjoy round corners!  :bigcry:
But they hurt much less when we accidentally hit them!  :S
#16  November 09, 2007, 04:16:06 pm
I was wondering about game to game differences in characters myself actually. It'd be ideal (if a little time consuming) to have a list of changes in sprites, attacks and general character definitions so that you could essentially have one final, I dunno, Captain America? and pick and choose what version you want to play as.
Secret project:
Spriting now begun.

0.2%

Big news coming soon.
#17  November 09, 2007, 04:18:08 pm

You can't add more characters to the original game, which is my favorite fighting game (SFA3). But you can effectively lift the characters from that game, put basically the exact same thing in Mugen (and with better sprite scaling in ShugenDo, presumably), and then the number of possible matches can be extended, and you wouldn't have to look at the same old stages and listen to the same old music anymore, and you also wouldn't have to be told to go for broke so much. Making one's own "originality"*-laden rendition of a given character might actually be more time consuming than simply copying precisely the behavior of the original game when you know the best methods to employ in doing that.

* Quotation marks used to denote an ironic use of the word. ;)

maybe then we'd have a Marvel Versus Capcom game that didn't suck balls.  ;P
Secret project:
Spriting now begun.

0.2%

Big news coming soon.