YesNoOk

Death Battle (And sprite fight animations) (Read 17368729 times)

Started by Long John Killer, April 09, 2015, 03:59:16 am
Share this topic:
Re: Death Battle (And sprite fight animations)
#2341  June 17, 2020, 11:36:29 pm
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
And that was fine prior to this whole ringmaster nonsense.  Now they want to step up the presentation.  Sure, fine.  Clearly they've dropped the "no research" part because we spend half the episode on it.  Just not hard math but story beats and general inventory.  Problem is if they're gonna bother going that far, then don't make it a half-step and get the basic info right.  Don't need to mathematically explain the potential explosive value of preventing the Pirate King's magic destroying the planet by being counter-acted or whatnot, just get the plot beat and characteristics down right.

It comes across as willful lying.  I'd imagine that's not what they want.  If they have, say, Luke Skywalker in one of these, I wouldn't handwave away them saying he's a chickenmancer just because "no research".  I'd want the characters represented to their best.
Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 11:41:09 pm by Long John Killer
#2342  June 25, 2020, 10:20:06 am
  • Was it something I said?
Here's the next DBX for those interested:

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Spoiler: Next DBX (click to see content)

Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 10:31:11 am by Knuckles8864
#2343  July 05, 2020, 09:17:59 pm
  • Hungry Wolf
  • Aspiring Sprite Animator
    • South Africa
This one was pretty well animated... but god that mascot character's voice is cringe-inducingly annoying
#2344  July 06, 2020, 06:30:17 am
DBX- Kid Goku vs Gon

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Spoiler: Next Time (click to see content)

#2345  July 07, 2020, 11:15:15 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
New series, Death Race.

Another non-analysis series like DBX, only with vehicles racing instead of 1-on-1 fights.
#2346  July 09, 2020, 03:48:25 pm
Benny Hill vs Danny Boi.

#2347  July 11, 2020, 09:53:15 pm
  • You Can't Handle The Truth!
    • www.youtube.com/user/DevilRaptorB
Marisa vs Vegeta
#2348  July 16, 2020, 03:37:30 pm
Kenshin vs Law (Haven't watched One Piece in a such a long time, so I assumed it was Zorro. Apologies for the last post.)

#2349  July 17, 2020, 12:00:32 am
    • USA
Screw Attack did the same Yang/Bakugou fight years ago, apparently.  Don't know what's happened to either since then, couldn't get into MHA despite trying a few times and Screw Attack themselves killed any possible budding interest in RWBY for me.  I'm under the impression Yang has only one arm now though.

Similarly being out of the loop, dropping One Piece after Arlong was defeated, Nami was no longer a slave and the series felt as finished as it needed to be, I have no freaking clue who Law is, other than I kinda hate his hat in Jump Force.  But this is another odd One Piece/Rurouni Kenshin mash-up they've done, and I don't get the appeal?  They seem neither comparable in character arcs, tone or power scaling.  Kenshin's just a dude with a remarkable streak of luck in a field of work where everyone dies young, a Samurai Champloo character would be more in his range.

Anyways, there was another episode of Death Race earlier this week.

Well, at least they're having fun with their weirdness.  Now, I haven't watched or read Harry Potter in years, but I didn't think the Weasley car was sentient?  No more than the walking brooms from Fantasia, anyways.
Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 12:05:49 am by Long John Killer
#2350  July 17, 2020, 05:45:20 am
I never read the books, but Weasley's car only made the movie appearance in the Chamber of Secrets, and was sentient when it got attacked by the Whomping Willow tree/getting Harry and Ron to Hogwarts, and headed back home where Ron's mom yelled at him for stealing and damaging it. It eventually saved Harry and Ron when they were attacked by Hagrid's spider friend (not the main spider, but his children as he deemed them free meals). I don't remember it making another appearance after that.
#2351  July 17, 2020, 08:48:18 pm
  • Hungry Wolf
  • Aspiring Sprite Animator
    • South Africa
#2352  July 17, 2020, 08:59:37 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
But this is another odd One Piece/Rurouni Kenshin mash-up they've done, and I don't get the appeal?  They seem neither comparable in character arcs, tone or power scaling.  Kenshin's just a dude with a remarkable streak of luck in a field of work where everyone dies young, a Samurai Champloo character would be more in his range.
Oda started his career as an assistant on Ruruoni Kenshin, and still considers Watsuki as one of his main influences.
#2353  July 17, 2020, 10:02:12 pm
    • USA
That I did not know, surprised to hear it though having read at least until the Arlong arc of One Piece and all of Kenshin ages ago, including all their little blubs from the author.  Huh, neat, but still a bit of a mismatch I'd say just on that account.  I wouldn't exactly mix Sailor Moon with Yu Yu Hakusho in terms of a fight just because their respective authors are married.  But whatever, people seem to like it.
#2354  July 17, 2020, 11:51:00 pm
    • USA
"Anime guy with a sword" is very likely the driving force of the matchup here.  DBX ain't deep.
#2355  July 22, 2020, 10:45:49 pm
Here's the newest Death Race:

And here's One-Arm vs Explosion Man

#2356  July 23, 2020, 12:29:37 am
    • USA
I think they would have done better without the Warthog, the spy theme, or at least modified sports car theme for some form of agent, felt more natural than just "cars with weapons", it was too broad a category to get it to fit in the episode.  Like, the Warthog also isn't that useful without a second person in the back seat which it doesn't always have, even for series not intending to make much sense it felt odd and out of place.  Also really, they had Spy Hunter, a pool of water, and no boat transformation?  One of the main things the game is known for?  Come on, guys, missed opportunity.

Next episode of Death Race is out, as well as knowing who the next Death Battle member is with Beerus.

And....huh, I guessed right.  I'm....more disappointed, to be honest?  Also Beerus fans are probably gonna be upset when he loses?
Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 09:01:47 pm by Long John Killer
#2357  August 01, 2020, 01:37:19 pm
Next DBX:

#2358  August 01, 2020, 04:32:18 pm
  • Man of Mystery (and Chocolate)
    • USA
The match up for the next Death Battle was also announced in that DBX video. Beerus will be facing Sailor Galaxaia from Sailor Moon.

I get the feeling that what will happen is one fan base will be extremely salty after that fight (Probably the DBZ fans... doesn't the series only have two wins to their name?)
#2359  August 01, 2020, 05:15:12 pm
    • USA
Dragon Ball fans will be inconsolably upset by this video regardless of the outcome.  Standard Death Battle procedure.
#2360  August 01, 2020, 05:32:11 pm
    • Mexico
That, plus the character with actual feats is going to win.