YesNoOk

KoF XV (Read 743715 times)

Started by Magma MK-II, December 06, 2018, 01:30:24 pm
Share this topic:
Re: KoF XV
#261  January 16, 2021, 09:09:27 am
    • USA
    • thelivewire48@gmail.com
shun'ei is as bad as lin, but shion is ok. it's just traditional chinese clothing
#262  January 16, 2021, 11:53:37 am
  • In a few minutes, bitch
    • Germany
I'm pretty sure many people likes Lin, it's a mix of sci-fi toxic with classic ninja. The gameplay on him its pretty damn good too. That's how different tastes work. What I don't get is why enumerating the amount of colors or details on a character is supposed to be an positive or negative "argument" :P especially when you have great character design from people like Hirohiko Araki.

Even tho I think Shun'ei design is a byproduct of crossing Persona with Blazblue aesthetics, according to one YouTube comment it is rooted on a real life chinese fashion trend.

As a Chinese student, allow me to introduce the culture of this outfit: IDIOCY.
The character's outfit completely showed a trend called FEI ZHU LIU (fay-ju-li-ou), which was a despised pop culture. Usually teenagers or some adults with little fashion sense or low self-esteem choose this kind of outfit to shout out how FASHIONABLE they are. The worse part is that they truly believe this kind out unsubtle outfits represent Punk+Rock & Roll+Gothic+Young+Futuristic+Japanese animated vibe.
In the early 2000s, FEI ZHU LIU becomes a popular trend among those with low education experience and people who want to look chic but don't want to spend corresponding time or money doing that.
This trend is cheap and messy, but has been adopted to groups of people who cannot understand fashion or themselves.
I really hope I can post pictures in the comment to show how cringy it is.

#263  January 16, 2021, 10:04:33 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
various colors and details have a way of clashing. they can be artfully incorporated by people like araki, or they can lean full into the absurdity like sylvie for their own unique feel. but in the case of shun ei, it just looks dumb when its meant to be taken seriously.

lui

#264  January 18, 2021, 12:53:54 am
    • USA
for what its worth, shun ei is snks interpretation of modern chinese youth aesthetics. its clear that its popular with the market is designed for considering all the art, and the cosplay and that a random chinese user quite literally made an ENTIRE KOF XIII shaded spriteset in mugen. thats, alot, of time dedicated to a brand new character. you can see his type of clothing styles reflected in a ton of other chinese media like other games, shows, clothing lines, etc.

he is the main character of a part-chinese franchise now after all, so atleast he has that going for him

also lol karma, that user sounds unreasonably angry at a fashion choice, its hilarious. but yes, that person is right, its based on the specific fashion choices i talked about above.

i personally think his design is dumb as heck but thats just me. atleast his moveset is fun!
#265  January 18, 2021, 01:08:04 am
  • Self-Sufficient Subhuman
  • "I hope you're ready for a beating!"
    • USA
a random chinese user quite literally made an ENTIRE KOF XIII shaded spriteset in mugen.

Hot damn I literally just found/saw that Shun'ei like a minute ago and was blown away lol

Also admittedly that's a very good take and I'm surprised by that. I didn't realize that Shun'ei was popular in that crowd actually. If his design was that well received by the audience that was best supposed to relate to him... well, I'll give credit where credit is due. I still personally find the design fairly awkward but I can respect it more now if that's the case.

Pretty cool honestly.
#266  January 18, 2021, 01:20:05 am
    • Brazil
Well, Shun'ei is a cute anime boy, so he is bound to be loved by a specific crowd.
#267  January 18, 2021, 01:22:36 am
    • USA
Well, Shun'ei is a cute anime boy, so he is bound to be loved by a specific crowd.

I think Lui was trying to say that the Chinese market liked the Chinese representation leading the partly-Chinese banded franchise now.

lui

#268  January 18, 2021, 01:24:23 am
    • USA
eyup.

now if only they didnt make his goddamn hair green and not give him a purple tie.

if they made his color palette a little more uniform id like it alot more.
#269  January 18, 2021, 01:25:45 am
    • USA
eyup.

now if only they didnt make his goddamn hair green and not give him a purple tie.

if they made his color palette a little more uniform id like it alot more.

I think if his hair was a darker green and if his gloves/arm bands/whatever were gone from his hands he'd look a bit better.

And if his pants were rolled down all the way.

The tie I think can stay with the right modifications.
#270  January 18, 2021, 01:43:18 am
    • Brazil

I think Lui was trying to say that the Chinese market liked the Chinese representation leading the partly-Chinese banded franchise now.
This whole "appeal to China" argument doesn't really work if people in the west also like it, and cute anime characters appeal to weebs all over the world. If KoF XIV had been nothing but anime boys as new characters, I could see the argument about being generic mobile design, but one character? Nah.
#271  January 18, 2021, 01:50:59 am
    • USA
This whole "appeal to China" argument doesn't really work if people in the west also like it, and cute anime characters appeal to weebs all over the world. If KoF XIV had been nothing but anime boys as new characters, I could see the argument about being generic mobile design, but one character? Nah.

The appeal to China argument works for China. Cause it's China. Lol.

As for the West... I mean, people like and hate Shun'ei for a variety of reasons.

I think it's kiiiinda dumb just to generalize it as "cute anime boy for weebs" lol
#272  January 18, 2021, 02:35:41 am
  • The Forsaken Warrior
  • Let us grieve existence, together.
    • Mexico
Game looks good, hopefully they add Chizuru and B. Jenet.
#273  January 18, 2021, 02:36:41 am
    • USA
#274  January 18, 2021, 03:32:16 am
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
Shingo is like, the single most requested character to return. But realistically speaking he has low chances of returning, if only because there isn't a team he could fit in, and I highly doubt they'd remove Daimon for what is basically a moveset clone of Kyo.
#275  January 18, 2021, 03:33:17 am
    • USA
Shingo is like, the single most requested character to return. But realistically speaking he has low chances of returning, if only because there isn't a team he could fit in, and I highly doubt they'd remove Daimon for what is basically a moveset clone of Kyo.

So just do what they did in KOF 97 and make him single entry.

Problem solved.

Or put Kyo, Iori, and Chizuru on a team and then have Shingo team up with Benimaru and Goro.

Easier solution.

As for Mature and Vice, stick them with Rugal assuming he actually comes back. Not that they'd like that but idk.
#276  January 18, 2021, 03:34:15 am
  • Man of Mystery (and Chocolate)
    • USA
You know, he doesn't have to be on Team Japan... Shingo could be on a team of SNK fans like himself, Alice and a female Iori.
#277  January 18, 2021, 03:41:54 am
  • Give me Tea, or Cake!
Well, Shingo hasn't been around since XI? Why not give him a whole new moveset with a nod to the stuff he copied/learned from Kyo?  I mean, they differentiated Ryo/Robert, Kyo/Iori, why not turn Shingo into the powerhouse he should be. :)
#278  January 18, 2021, 04:44:35 am
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
Or put Kyo, Iori, and Chizuru on a team
What makes people think this will ever happen?

Besides, Kyo and Benimaru are shown together in a cutscene on the first trailer, which more or less spells they're on the same team.

Shingo could be on a team of SNK fans like himself, Alice and a female Iori.

Replace the "female Iori" thing with Jhun and there you have a nice Fanboy Team.
#279  January 18, 2021, 04:49:40 am
    • USA
Or put Kyo, Iori, and Chizuru on a team
What makes people think this will ever happen?

Idk man, I know they only ever team up in canon to fight Orochi/evil people and don't really do it for the tourney stuff otherwise, but eh.

Besides, Kyo and Benimaru are shown together in a cutscene on the first trailer, which more or less spells they're on the same team.

Fair enough.

Make Shingo single entry then I guess!
#280  January 18, 2021, 04:56:32 am
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
You know, I think this is the single major issue of KoF. Basically the chances of a character appearing are dependant mostly on whether the character can be fit on a team (and sometimes whether the character has something to do plot-wise). This is the main problem with most characters introduced on the NESTS arc onwards, since most of them were made to fill in the extra slot on the four men teams.