YesNoOk

Sailor Jupiter Sprites (Read 213683 times)

Started by rgveda99, August 25, 2022, 01:25:37 am
Share this topic:
Sailor Jupiter Sprites
#1  August 25, 2022, 01:25:37 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
As some of you may well know I am giving Sailor Jupiter a graphical overhaul as I am dissatisfied with how she turned up in the original arcade game by Gazelle/Banpresto. Her initial design was she was as tall as the anime but since they were obviously cutting corners Gazelle decided to make every sailor play almost exactly the same and I'm assuming the same hitbox. This is why I think the Super Famicom R game is superior in terms of gameplay as there's variety in every sailor you choose along with their varied strengths and weaknesses which is something I also want for the Openbor game Shinmrgrill and Bloodbane are working on.

Right now I am working on her aerial Blowback based on Kyo Kusanagi from King Of Fighters.

There's actually 4 frames for this. I'm thinking of dropping the first frame as they look similar to the second. I'll probably work on that last if I decide to go with a complete 4 frame set for Jupiter's Blowback mechanic.

So far my best work for her is the Argentine Back Breaker based on Ralf and Clark. I actually used Arina from Waku Waku 7 for spriting. I've envisioned Sailor Jupiter as a grappler as she was in the S Super Famicom game. I'm planning on more throws and grab animations for her using different characters like R. Mika or possibly Catherine from Asuka 120%.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHsy8AWrY3P/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
Re: Sailor Jupiter Sprites
#2  August 25, 2022, 02:42:43 pm
    • USA
Nice work on the sprites for Sailor Jupiter, really inspires me to do the same whenever I get the proper equipment to make mugen characters, whether it be ripped or from scratch. Also what's the development process like when making sprites for Sail Jup?
"If you take three glasses of water and put food coloring in them, you have many different colors, but it's still the same old water. Make the connection."
#3  August 26, 2022, 12:14:18 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
Nice work on the sprites for Sailor Jupiter, really inspires me to do the same whenever I get the proper equipment to make mugen characters, whether it be ripped or from scratch. Also what's the development process like when making sprites for Sail Jup?

I'm just taking my time. It's mentally exhaustive doing this style especially when a certain sprite base requires heavy editing.  Also it is very intimidating especially when the character has clothes on or has different proportions like with SFA/MSH style. I actually procrastinated for 2 weeks before starting again. It helps listening to music. Finding motivation can be a challenge especially when life problems get to you. So I have to find ways to relax and not let those problems become mental blocks. So I either do yoga, watch a movie or do some self talk and reframe the situation and tell myself it's not all bad.

I find the best ones to convert with this style is actually characters from Variable Geo 2 since it's close to the proportions of the original Gazelle/Banpresto sprites but the best results tend to be from King Of Fighters sprites. Most of Jupiter's new move sets are based on other characters from different games and they offer different challenges. Like this recent one I am doing with Kyo. With those clothes he's very angular so I have to put some curves. With Tia it is mostly proportions. I have to reduce the image by 8 to 10 percent then start editing. Personally I'd rather work with bigger sprites. With smaller sprites the end results tends to give variable results and requires further editing like when I edited that green haired girl from Battle Tycoon Flash Hiderz. When I finished editing I didn't like the result so I ended up frankenspriting with Mai's leg then edit again after a few months.

It's important also having reference. Since I mainly use MS Paint I always put another frame of animation for reference to the right so as to follow proportion like legs looking too thin or too thick. But after working with so many sprites and observing their animations on Youtube I find that being too hyper critical is counter productive. I'd go back to my old sprites months later to further edit some but it's mostly superficial especially when the main goal is to add new content. I still do it from time to time when I got free time.

It's really doing a lot of math, making mistakes on purpose then observing the result then doing course correction until you get the desired result. When I started doing this in the beginning it took 4 to 8 hours for 1 single sprite to edit. After so many months of doing this eventually I get better and faster.

sailormoongalaxy said:
#4  August 30, 2022, 12:51:45 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
Updated Jupiter's Supreme Thunder Dragon. Now with an 'explode on impact' animation.

This particular set of sprites were edited from 3 different games. Starting off with the dragon head from Sony's Sky Blazer, the tail (next 3 frames) and the shrinking dragon head from the Sailor Moon jrpg and the electrical explosion from the Sailor Moon 3DO game. I actually made some custom for the last 2 frames for the sparks but they were easy just so it would flow naturally.

Never played Sky Blazer. Thankfully SNESdrunk made a video of it. I should play the game some time.

I'll probably add more animations to this focusing on the tail. It looks like I need to shrink it for the starting animation. I'll make a separate tail and head frames.
sailormoongalaxy said:
#5  November 01, 2022, 12:10:31 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
sailormoongalaxy said:
#6  November 13, 2022, 04:48:03 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
sailormoongalaxy said:
#7  June 04, 2023, 01:27:19 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
sailormoongalaxy said:
#8  June 11, 2023, 08:34:42 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
It will be a long time for the next update for Sailor Jupiter.

Working on other characters like the leader of the DD Girls, U-pasokon, Sailor Saturn and Sailor Chibimoon.

I'm hoping to finish 3 to 5 characters this year. At least Sailor Moon is 93 percent finished and is compatible with SF, MSH, GGX and KOF style. All other sprites are optional like addition win, lose and taunt animations.
sailormoongalaxy said:
#9  August 08, 2023, 03:25:13 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
Hoping this will be the last time I use Kyo as sprite base. End product looks good though.

sailormoongalaxy said:
#10  August 19, 2023, 07:02:21 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
Just a simple forward jump frame.

sailormoongalaxy said:
#11  August 24, 2023, 12:14:14 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
Don't like the original air slam from the SMS:JRSS Super Famicom game so I went with Catherine.

sailormoongalaxy said:
#12  August 29, 2023, 12:11:57 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
I had tough time with this one. KOF style is so angular. But the end result is just amazing.

sailormoongalaxy said:
#13  September 08, 2023, 02:10:42 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
I'm actually not finished with this animation yet. 11 frames in total.

sailormoongalaxy said:
#14  September 15, 2023, 01:41:44 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
Slam!

sailormoongalaxy said:
#15  September 19, 2023, 12:34:03 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
Giving Jupiter new standing normals.

sailormoongalaxy said:
#16  October 11, 2023, 01:07:42 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
Giving her new normals. Perfect for link combos just like Real Bout.

sailormoongalaxy said:
#17  October 19, 2023, 04:13:24 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
Four more frames left.

sailormoongalaxy said:
#18  November 01, 2023, 02:34:59 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
sailormoongalaxy said:
Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 02:39:20 am by rgveda99
#19  November 02, 2023, 11:15:49 pm
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
4th frame. There's 10 frames for this animation in total.

sailormoongalaxy said:
#20  November 12, 2023, 07:51:42 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
Loving these Reika sprites for Jupiter.

sailormoongalaxy said: