YesNoOk

Does this site has any rule against Youtube and social media links. (Read 87443 times)

Started by orochi_kyo, January 18, 2021, 02:03:27 am
Share this topic:
Re: Does this site has any rule against Youtube and social media links.
#41  January 22, 2021, 03:38:08 pm
  • SNK is life
i know this is entirely irrelevant to the topic at hand but i feel like you completely missed the point of this meme format walt
No time to be subtle when the densensess levels in the thread are so off the charts, but didn't want to pass on this opportunity to shitpost.

Thanks for keeping this thread at the top guys. Hopefully something constructive could come out of this talk.

#42  January 22, 2021, 05:04:25 pm
  • Self-Sufficient Subhuman
  • "I hope you're ready for a beating!"
    • USA
people posting the direct links when he specifically asked them not to were kind of dicks.

Nah I disagree here.

The first time I did it was cause his initial post did not have one and he made no indication of not wanting one. Additionally after what happened with the other thread I didn’t want to see that happen again so I kindly provided the link.

He took it personally after that first time so I definitely do not agree that I was being a dick whatsoever, especially given most other people frown upon linking through YouTube only around here.

If I have any fault in the situation at all, it is most certainly not because I posted a direct link.
#43  January 22, 2021, 05:36:59 pm
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
Orochi (which is a great creator) blew this completely out of proportion and took it personally
This. As I said before, if he wants to post his releases with the YouTube link instead the direct link, then he should post his releases himself instead of protesting about his releases being posted by someone else

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#44  January 22, 2021, 05:57:58 pm
  • Hick-spanic
  • the dawn away
    • Puerto Rico
If a person wants to link their stuff through a yt video no skin off my back. It's no different than navigating confusing garbled up Japanese blogs.

At the same time though, like with that example other users should have the option of just sharing the direct link if someone requests it for whatever reason. I understand YouTube videos are a less confusing example than what I brought up, but it's happened a few times here with no issue up until now.
might as well shill: https://twitter.com/FraudKrew
the streams are here: https://www.twitch.tv/robotboombox
#45  January 22, 2021, 06:18:17 pm
    • crepa.neocities.org
Since people mentioned websites.... I see websites or blogs more like a way to keep all the author's creations in one place.

For example, if an author made 10 chars and is releasing a new one, and you don't know this author yet and don't know their past works, by visiting their website you'll find all his other chars and everything will (hopefully) be up to date.

Or, using another example, you already know this author and want to download all his chars, you'll find them easier in their website than looking through each individual topic they made here.

Using youtube for this is just... not the same. I see youtube videos serving like a screenshot in a release thread, it's a preview and people can watch it even if you post the link in the topic instead of in the video description. If you don't have a website, make a topic with all your creations on it and update the first post regularly as you release content.

Well, in the end this is not even a big deal. They CAN just post the youtube link if they want, but someone (even mods sometimes) will post the direct link in the topic eventually, it's always been like that.
#46  January 22, 2021, 08:37:57 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
If a person wants to link their stuff through a yt video no skin off my back. It's no different than navigating confusing garbled up Japanese blogs.

At the same time though, like with that example other users should have the option of just sharing the direct link if someone requests it for whatever reason. I understand YouTube videos are a less confusing example than what I brought up, but it's happened a few times here with no issue up until now.
This is the stance I agree with but I think it shouldn't need to be prompted- people can post the link if they reasonably judge that its too obscured in other ancillary content. For me, that includes having to load a Youtube video. I have been on some shitty wifi in college, and I know why people want to avoid youtube if possible.
#47  January 22, 2021, 09:48:03 pm
  • I am hilarious
  • and you will quote everything I say
    • USA
That's my stake in this. Besides the artificial inflation of your videos' viewcount, even in this day and age some people are stuck with really bad connections, or metered connections. When those sorts have to go to YT, it can be a rough time.

Also, definitely noteworthy is just how non-permanent a YT video is. It's strikingly easy to have a video blocked in certain countries or pulled due to something unassuming like the music used or whatnot. If this happens, with it goes the link for the download.
#48  January 22, 2021, 10:28:19 pm
  • SNK is life
Regarding Non Permancy - It's no different than not renewing a web domain, with the difference is that if the author gets it right (not copyright stuck down) it would be even more permanent than a renewable Web Domain.

Moreover, the video could be used as a showcase of what you'd be getting (why screenshot when you can vid?) and the link being readily available in the description if you like what you see. Showcase Window and Point of Purchase would be literally pixels away from each other, and Youtube is mostly accessible by everyone, so much so that this forum coded integration for it so very long ago.
#49  January 22, 2021, 10:53:11 pm
  • Self-Sufficient Subhuman
  • "I hope you're ready for a beating!"
    • USA
But if you embed a video can’t you just click to watch it from here without having to go over there?
#50  January 23, 2021, 12:22:14 am
  • Hick-spanic
  • the dawn away
    • Puerto Rico
But if you embed a video can’t you just click to watch it from here without having to go over there?
Sure if you just want the video. But if you want whatever link you have to go to YT since it's in either the description or comments.
might as well shill: https://twitter.com/FraudKrew
the streams are here: https://www.twitch.tv/robotboombox
#51  January 23, 2021, 01:10:57 am
  • SNK is life
My point isn't accessibility for the link from this forum, but the general free accesibility of Youtube in general, and its widespread acceptance. You can even access Youtube videos without necessarily having to have an account.

This is an interesting site - Youtube Revenue Calculator.
For example, let's take this video from GUI SANTOS showcasing Jmorphman's Ken.

Gui Santos is a prominent Mugen Content Video producer roaming around this very forum, and the video for Jmorphman's Ken video is one of the ones with the most views in his channel - 1.4K
The tool estimates that with some luck this video might have generated $3 in revenue. Revenue that goes to the video maker. It wouldn't be so bad if creators themselves could buy a Snickers bar themselves :P

Another example would be the HDBZ Indigo Build Trailer with 132K views, which according to the tool could have generated around USD $240 USD if Balthazar's account was in the Youtube Partner program. Which would be totally earned IMO, because whatever hype surrounds this project is well earned given that most if not all assets are original. $240 Doesn't even begin to cost however much the game has cost over the years and the amount of time and effort artists have put into it. Hell, it probably wouldn't even cover half of what one of Blathazar's character spriteset would cost.

I'd hardly say anybody is GETTING RICH OMG from having monetized videos, but we all could ride the wave should the opportunity present itself without demonizing creators. And again, given that these mugen videos prominently showcase Capcom or Anime Studios, they probably won't have the opportunity to be monetized anyway.

Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 01:36:26 am by walt
#52  January 23, 2021, 08:28:52 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
i don't agree that posting links to characters to avoid clicks is a "demonization" of creators

this topic itself feels a little bit of a nonissue to me if we're talking about respecting user wishes- we currently have a website (MA) that not only bypasses any websites or videos, they download the character and rehost it regardless of the author's wishes and put it in a highly monetized warehouse. this method at least still allows you to get the characters from the source.