Stages (Read 129990 times)

Started by FeLo_Llop, April 14, 2014, 10:24:38 am
Stages
#1  April 14, 2014, 10:24:38 am
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!
Stage standards
fighting area width: 768
For all stages stretched by default in game use: xscale =  .8333333333

Hi there! Well, here's the topic about stages. A stage for each character(a lot of work) or general stages for some characters?

My suggestion is, if you have to fight against Dhalsim, you can't fight him in Africa(haaaaa SF4 did a terrible thing here!), you MUST fight him in India, the same as you shouldn't fight Zangief in Spain. So, the question here is, what about some "generic" stages? Just having some changes to them(a car that appears or not, rain, clouds, etc).

- This could be a Sodom/ Rufus/ T.Hawk/ etc stage:

Just change that Dandy for one of Mad Gear's thugs, for example. Or El Fuerte.

- Blue Mosque, Istanbul.:

- Cretacic Jungle. Yes, CFJ Amazonia plus a Styrakosaur I did long ago:

- India:

(of course my nick will not appear in the final result :P!)

Also Balthazar had the idea to have only 1 basic palette  for each character (or 3), but each palette would actually be different depending on what stage you're fighting in. If you're fighting in a sunny stage, both character's palettes will have a more orange-y tinted default palette; when fighting in an alley stage, the default palette would be a more desaturated and gloomy. It's basicly how it worked in DBZ Hyper Dimension:
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Look at Piccolo, and you'll see he has the same default palette, but it's colored differently in the sunset and sunny stage.

According to DKDC, it's simpler to apply a transparent image that darkens (or reddens or brightens or whatever) everything, and is part of the stage. I'm pretty sure that process has been done in Mugen on stages such as the (awesome) "guardian dogs temple" from SvC Chaos (boss stage of Honki ni Natta Mr.Karate and Shin Gouki).
I swear there was something cool here!!
Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 09:40:23 pm by Just No Point
Re: Stages Brainstorming
#2  April 14, 2014, 11:20:03 am
  • Koi.
    • USA
    • Skype - Wizzy.WhipitWonderful
    • wizzywhipitwonderful.webs.com
That's a great idea, Felo!

Stages that fit more than one character would be pretty cool.
Slow and steady wins the race, but there is a darkness... growing inside of me...

And if you provoke it...

I will slay you all.

Donate Here
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=B92JC32FZ5CME
#3  April 14, 2014, 11:25:44 am
  • The Mad Editor
    • Philippines
In Street Fighter, usually the stages were certain well known places per country. Maybe perhaps when it comes to boss stages, Bison could be fought in a Shadaloo base, etc.

You could also go for stage assignment reminiscent of the first SF Alpha/Zero; Each stage have two versions that corresponds to a pair of characters.

SNT

#4  April 14, 2014, 01:44:32 pm
  • Super Old Bitter Dude
    • Australia

Australian god damn Outback.  It's my nation's single proud contribution to Street Fighter lore.  Boss Mode Ryu or Sagat could be fought here.

Guy's SFA2 stage, good for any of the Final Fight characters.  All of the characters in the immediate background are their own layer; remove the Cody layer, change the lighting, you've got a Cody stage.  Remove the Poison layer, change the lighting, you've got a Poison stage.

Spoiler: something like this (click to see content)
Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 02:16:42 pm by SNT
#5  April 14, 2014, 02:05:54 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
you could probably get another stage out of outback, just have a shiny blue sky and calm grass and you got a prairie going on that would fit most lighthearted characters.
#6  April 14, 2014, 02:50:28 pm
I am supporting all of this about stages. Generic ones are better for the game since it is more of a dream crossover/battle game between it's own titles.
Same was done with CVS2: http://www.arcadequartermaster.com/capcom/cvs2_bosses.html

Love the Istanbul one. We need a Holland stage aswell. :)
#7  April 14, 2014, 03:19:01 pm
    • Netherlands
    • network.mugenguild.com/balthazar/index.html
Well, there is the Bloemen Festival stage from Tekken Revolution!

'Kinderdijk is a village in South Holland, situated in the Alblasserwaard'
I mean, damn, windmills? That's like the most Holland thing you can think of!

Whoever wrote that Kinderdijk is in Germany is an idiot!
Dimnwitted americans, always mixing up Holland with Germany. Ingrates!
Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 03:24:01 pm by Balthazar
#8  April 14, 2014, 04:25:11 pm
Indeed buddy. Kinderdijk is from Holland since the very beginning.
More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinderdijk

Also Felo, Blue Mosque is great like I said but, I believe Maiden Tower from Istanbul fits in more. Could be a stage for the female fighters in game.
You should consider it as the place is/was used in many different games such as Assasin's Creed. The Tower has a real true legendary story. It's history is huge!

Some examples:

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

#9  April 14, 2014, 11:18:59 pm
  • Nothing ever ends
    • Portugal
    • www.justnopoint.com/loona
Sodom in some desert is heresy - he belongs in either Metro City or the most niponophile stage in the game.

Speaking of Metro City, it'd be cool for that to include a sprite of a kid version of Captain Commando, since his game takes place in that city in the future.

HQ

Re: Stages
#10  April 15, 2014, 12:40:21 pm
just a small reminder where the street fighters are from ;)

#11  April 16, 2014, 09:45:10 am
  • Screenpack Novice
  • *Also accepts laundry service during Sundays.
    • Philippines
just a small reminder where the street fighters are from ;)

This'll come in handy for the SP designs! TY.

EDIT: I think one stage per country is enough (Plus boss stages and stuff). But that's me anyway.
My image parsing is stupid.
Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 10:00:30 am by carlvic2
#12  April 17, 2014, 09:45:39 pm
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net
Speaking to Felo about the stages, the following ideas were proposed and discussed:

- Stages will consist in a common base and use variations (noon, sunset, night, rain... ) of the same for every character.
- Base the stages on the character's features, instead of country specific, but leave the option to include specific country landmarks if necessary

For example, for the Japanese characters, we could group them this way:

Ryu + Makoto: Motif - Karate fighters. Stage could be the outdoor of a Dojo (similar to SF3 Ibuki or Makoto)
Retsu + Akuma + Gouken: Motif - Monks/Masters. Stage could be the indoor of the Dojo above. The stage could include statues such as the ones in SFA2 Akuma.
Sakura + Karin: Motif - Schoolgirls. Stage could be a Japanese city street, like SFA1 Ryu or SFA3 Karin. Akihabara is a neighborhood in Tokyo frequently visited by schoolgirls.
E. Honda - Always linked to a bathhouse, the bathhouse could also be featured on the street scene from above
Ibuki + Geki: Motif - Ninjas. Stage could be a forest or something based in SFA2 Australian outback (it always reminded me to the final showdown in Ninja based B-Movies) or a stage based on SF3 Akuma

With this grouping, we would have 4 base stages assigned to 10 characters. Every character would get their own variation. Some of these variations may consist in a before/after scenario, for example an active dojo Vs the same dojo in an abandoned/destroyed state.

Other Japanese characters such as Maki or R.Mika can be associated to their own motifs. Maki will fit in the Final Fight troupe, whereas R.Mika will hang out with the wrestlers like Zangief.

Of course, this approach poses a challenge for some characters such as Dhalsim or Claw. In this cases, it may be best to remake the classic stages, but adding a twist.

For example, Claw could be fighting in a cage within an elite club with rich people (like in the SF V anime, or the Andores cage fight in FF). This keeps the idea of the classic stage, but completely drops the stereotypes of Flamenco, gipsies and bullfighting from his classic SF2 stage).

Dhalsim could use his classic SF2 theme, but have the temple and the elephants as a Bollywood movie set. This could be funny, don't you think? Because if we are realistic, elephants are not usually found in a temple :)

So guys, let us know your thoughts on these ideas.
XGargoyle: Battle posing since 1979
http://xgargoyle.mgbr.net
http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=e71c0d43fe35093a  <-- Please click that link
http://paypal.me/XGargoyle  <-- Donations welcome!
#13  April 17, 2014, 09:58:49 pm
  • Nothing ever ends
    • Portugal
If going for a movie set theme, the Dhalsim stage could use a base shared by Fei Long's - although I don't really see Dhalsim involved with show biz, I could imagine him being invited for a cameo in some movie, or invited for some talk show.
For extra SF India factor, maybe toss in a Darun Mister cameos from the EX series, if someone were to bother spriting that?

At least one of the early Marvel crossovers had a stage taking place in a studio, maybe that could be adapted.
#14  April 18, 2014, 12:36:48 am
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!
I see Dhalsim more at  Sagat's stage.

What about using pre-existent stages from CvS?
-Buddha--Sagat, Dhalsim(?)
- "Purple Ayuthaya(?)--Adon, etc?
- Metro City. Of course you know who fits here!! Maybe adding things as rain and/or cameos for different chars.
- Japanese temple's doors: Ryu, Gouken? (Mystik Blaze did this)
- Inside Shadowlaw(Dictator). Yoda did an awesome stage of this
- London: arfff...it's super cool, but we must erase Rose, Dudders and Elena from it. Or transform them in others :/

Just suggesting crazy things D:
I swear there was something cool here!!

SNT

#15  April 18, 2014, 01:30:23 am
  • Super Old Bitter Dude
    • Australia
Spoiler: Ryu, Makoto, Retsu, Gouken, Akuma (click to see content)

Spoiler: Sakura, Karin (click to see content)

Spoiler: Ibuki, Geki (click to see content)

Spoiler: Guy, Cody, Poison (click to see content)

Spoiler: Hugo, Sodom, Haggar, R.Mika, wrestlers in general (click to see content)
#16  April 18, 2014, 02:38:57 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Perhaps it would be better to work from inside out? Right now we are focussing on Ryu, ChunLi, Eagle, and Birdie.
What categories should these characters be in? Could start getting sprites for them.

I do agree that Ryu should have his temple stage. Bosses should have their own as well. We also need a training stage. I feel the MFG logo should be in the background. Give it a guild color scheme, etc
#17  April 18, 2014, 09:42:01 pm
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net
Eagle and Birdie are both British bouncers. They could be in front of or inside an elitist disco or a nightclub. This could be the same club where later Claw is performing cage fights or Dee Jay being on the decks.

As Felo said, London's CvS2 stage could be the best place for them, with some variations.

We can even display on the wall posters of Claw or Dee Jay. Other British characters could also do cameos (Cammy, Dudley, Titanic Tim, Gallon, Morrigan?..)

XGargoyle: Battle posing since 1979
http://xgargoyle.mgbr.net
http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=e71c0d43fe35093a  <-- Please click that link
http://paypal.me/XGargoyle  <-- Donations welcome!
#18  April 18, 2014, 09:55:02 pm
  • Nothing ever ends
    • Portugal
There's also the stage BG from MvC1 - some tweaks like maybe humanizing Zabel/Lord Raptor on stage could help.

Or maybe I just really like how the SFA (mostly 2) and MvC1 aesthetics seem to match nicely.
#19  April 23, 2014, 03:04:28 am
  • I must continue my training...
So many ideas run threw my head. I'll try and share them when I have time guys. But I'm sure i could help here as well.

Do your best to become stronger. Become stronger, so you can do your best.

Mugen is a way for me to remain nostalgic with all of the dream matches I cooked up as a kid. It's also what I call a "Digital Action Figure Collection."
MaxBeta link=topic=155656.msg1876950#msg1876950 date=13867
Vegaz_Parrelli...also known as The Lord of the Rings.
[/quote said:
#20  April 23, 2014, 12:56:37 pm
We can even display on the wall posters of Claw or Dee Jay.
I'm fine with it.
Other British characters could also do cameos (Cammy, Dudley, Titanic Tim, Gallon, Morrigan?..)
But with this not much (unless you're using chars that won't be in the game). The poster idea could work with said characters though (like Dudley #1 Boxer vs "Insert name of boxer he will fight": Match at 11:00 p.m. or something); if it worked for Ding and his stage, why don't we make a topic (with a template, to be decided) to request from the community (if the users want) their ideas for the poster?