YesNoOk

Super Smash Bros Ultimate (Read 734688 times)

Started by GTOAkira, March 09, 2018, 12:23:32 am
Share this topic:
Re: Super Smash Bros Ultimate
#2601  September 27, 2021, 08:58:31 pm
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Yeah, that threw me off for about 2 or so weeks as well once I heard of it again after first being shown off and that was clarified.  That's a super effeminate looking guy.  Yeah, anime and all, but the face is straight-up just a standard anime girl design, mixed with the long hair and the robot suit could pass for a muscular woman's body type.  I thought maybe they were making some sort of artistic statement or something and the girl's power transformed her into a dude in that demonic magic new world, but no, it's just the character design.

Eh, whatever floats their boat I guess.
#2602  September 27, 2021, 10:44:48 pm
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
About Sora... I wanna be mind open now, and ask to the folks who actually got the chance to properly experience the series: What's really appealing about this character? Is his direct connection to Disney IPs the sole reason people wanna se him make it in? Or boy's got some actually good character traits that I'm sadly missing out?
Sora as a character is your typical shonen main boy hero.  It's not a particularly unique designation, but it is a proven archtype that works and people like and Sora is no different.  He's a light hearted, cheerful, dumb as a rock hilbilly who don't know why magic computer keep beeping at him when he can't find the Any Key.

Probably more unique ironically is even more than his comparison to your shonen protagoinist hero is he is more accurately an one-for-one copy of Sailor Moon.  His characterization, powers and themes mirror Usagi's whole, like, everything, except the magical girl staff/wand has been replaced by a key.  Which the fanbase has taken notice of and had their fun with.

Beyond that, I suppose his appeal is his stand-in for the everyman thrown into a ridiculously overcomplicated situation and his solution is to hit it hard enough until it gets fixed.  Kingdom Hearts is also notorious for having a Metal Gear Solid-esque comically complex and layered plot for what is essentially on the surface your basic Light versus Darkness story.  Sora however just doesn't get any of it at all and just wants the basics; get his friends back, beat anyone bad's face in if they can't be redeemed.

That all said, it's not a zero percent appeal that yeah, this is also still somehow a blending of Final Fantasy and Disney characters with their own histories being blended together and Sora, once again the average player stand-in, co-mingling with them.  His connections with many of the Disney movie characters is usually not that deep and it's more the coolness factor that you get to see what happens when Cloud Strife strikes a deal with Hades to kill Hercules.  For whatever reason you envisioned that scenario as a kid.

People really only want him because he's the series protagonist.
#2603  September 27, 2021, 10:46:00 pm
  • Self-Sufficient Subhuman
  • "I hope you're ready for a beating!"
    • USA
These people really only want him because they're KH fanboys.

... I'm not sure if I'm missing some sort of sarcasm here but it sounds correct to want a character you are a fan of, that originates from a series you are a fan of, to cross over into Smash, no matter how absurd or unlikely the character is. :0
#2604  September 27, 2021, 10:48:47 pm
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
... I'm not sure if I'm missing some sort of sarcasm here but it sounds correct to want a character you are a fan of, that originates from a series you are a fan of, to cross over into Smash, no matter how absurd or unlikely the character is. :0

I fixed my post, sorry.

I couldn't care less about that series (in fact I find it very overrated) and even then if they were to pick someone from there there are way better choices.
#2605  September 27, 2021, 10:58:07 pm
    • USA
Okay....?  And you're reaching assuming that's the only possible reason people might want him.

Have you considered perhaps people have opinions other than yours?  Maybe people like characters you don't?

No one's obligated to like the main character best, but nothing's stopping them either.  My favorite character from Kingdom Hearts is Xion because it reminds me of Evangelion's Rei.  But I still find Sora is still the best choice in Smash.
#2606  September 27, 2021, 11:06:38 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA

* I unironically want a memey, non-gaming character to officially show up in Smash, just so people would finally put those fan-theory restrictions down their own throats, and finish this argument for good;

There's no way a character like Goku or even Shrek wouldn't look actually awesome inside the game, if Nintendo were really willing to do it.
It’s here where I will bring up once again the time when Sakurai got up in front of a massive crowd of people at a major awards ceremony and begged people to stop harassing him to add non-video game characters into Smash Bros- specifically calling out Goku in particular-  because that’s not what Smash Bros is about.

It’s not a fan-theory restriction, it’s literally the director of the game saying it’s never going to happen.

Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 12:55:51 am by Person Man
#2607  September 28, 2021, 12:43:47 am
  • I'm trapped in my own personal hell.
  • I'm going to kill myself.
    • USA

* I unironically want a memey, non-gaming character to officially show up in Smash, just so people would finally put those fan-theory restrictions down their own throats, and finish this argument for good;

There's no way a character like Goku or even Shrek wouldn't look actually awesome inside the game, if Nintendo were really willing to do it.
it’s here where I will bring up once again the time when Sakurai got up in front of a massive crowd of people at a major awards ceremony and begged people to stop harassing him to add non-video game characters into Smash Bros- specifically calling out Goku in particular-  because that’s not what Smash Bros is about.

It’s not a fan-theory restriction, it’s the literally the director of the game saying it’s never going to happen.

THANK YOU.
#2608  September 28, 2021, 04:39:01 am
  • Vs Style Debuts Tag Project CEO
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
Right now I only see either Crash, a Gen 8 Pokemon or any other first party character may come close this game for good. Sora I can care less about because I never played the games and yeah he has potential but I'm not that crazy for him for Smash. There's gonna be hell breaking loose if they try to end this DLC lineup with yet another swordfighter. Tbh, someone else that isn't using swords should have a chance. Either way, I'm still gonna fork that final 5.99 over just so I can have the soon to be fully complete Smash roster. I doubt it very very much there's gonna be another Smash game after Ultimate because there is absolutely no way the next title will top this one.
Beware the Dark Wolf once more!
#2609  September 28, 2021, 06:19:57 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Frankly, your pilot idea is just Captain Falcon but if it were Domon Kasshu instead.
I mean, more or less. Except of course they actually have material to reference for mech pilots instead of just completely inventing shit like they had to for Captain Falcon.

Also here are more incontrovertible pieces of evidence that the final Smash character will be a character from SRW of my out of control delusion:
  • Like I said before, they'd probably use a SRW character who was capable of combat outside of their mech. And specifically there's already two examples of characters from SRW being used like that, and both of them can technically be described as anime swordsmen. And we all know how much Smash loves anime swordsmen!
  • during the Hero reveal, when Sakurai was introducing the voice actors for each of the Hero incarnations from their respective Dragon Quest game, he naturally introduced Nobuyuki Hiyama as having voiced Link in a few Zelda games. But he also made an extra mention of another role, an extra step that he did only for Hiyama: he referenced Hiyama's role as Guy Shishioh in The King of Braves GaoGaiGar! Which, as we all know is a favorite of both the fans and the producers of the SRW series, and it has made multiple appearances throughout the SRW franchise! This clearly indicates that Sakurai knows and believes in the joy of giant robots, and must therefore be chomping at the bit to include them in some form!
  • A team at Bandai Namco has been doing the lion's share of development work on the recent Smash games, including Ultimate. Know what else Bandai Namco makes? That's right, Super Robot Wars!

I think this definitively proves my theory is correct and I fully expect to proven right a week from now.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 07:02:24 am by Jmorphman
#2610  September 28, 2021, 11:39:14 am
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
Expectations: SMT V protag, Cinderace, something advertising Metroid Dread

Desirable possibilities: Phoenix Wright, Doomguy/Chief

Desirable impossibilities: Reimu

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#2611  September 28, 2021, 12:13:13 pm
    • USA
I wouldn't be surprised if it was Cinderace, but I've noticed the Pokemon Company has been a lot less aggressive advertising gen 8 with it as its mascot than they were with Greninja in gen 6.  Even with getting some of the handful more detailed animations in the game over others, it then kinda just fell off the map.  It's not even the new thing they gave Ash in the t.v. show from what I hear, it went to that Pokemon Go representative new partner, yeah?

Like, it's still the company's favorite of the starters but it just hasn't been as shoved in your face this time around.  By this point it's kind of an afterthought to gen 8 as a whole.
#2612  September 28, 2021, 01:12:20 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Honestly, I think this last fighter pass has proven that any and all guesses are out the window.  Every one has been consistently unexpected.  Nobody legitimately thought that Minecraft Steve would get in.  After the way Cloud was barely allowed in with barely any FFVII content, nobody expected Sephiroth.  After Rex got the Mii Costume treatment, nobody expected Pyra and Mythra to be playable without him.  Even back in Fighter Pass one, nobody was even talking about Persona, Dragon Quest, or Fatal Fury until it happened.

Everyone's gonna make their lists about who they expect and who's most likely, and then we'll get to the announcement next week and it's gonna be for Cooking Mama or King Graham or Bubsy.
#2613  September 28, 2021, 03:27:50 pm
  • I want to learn, no criticize
    • Dominica
    • yaretromero@hotmail.com
can we do an open poll? until octuber 4 one character for people for the last character, lets do it
Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 03:33:48 pm by yaret
#2614  September 28, 2021, 04:51:38 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
Expectations: SMT V protag, Cinderace, something advertising Metroid Dread
Given that they likely chose the characters about 2 years ago, I seriously doubt the SMT V protag is a plausible choice. At the same rime, I doubt they would go for a Dread advertisement character.
#2615  September 29, 2021, 10:38:45 am
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
It's worth considering how long those games were in development for before being properly revealed (wasn't SMT teased years ago anyway?). Besides, that didn't stop Corrin from getting in last time.

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#2616  September 29, 2021, 11:01:14 am
    • Puerto Rico
Yea, but it makes sense for Nintendo to promote their own work, not much so the work of others. Guest characters work because people can recognize them. Like there's a difference between someone with an established fanbase like Joker and someone new like the new SMT protag.
#2617  September 30, 2021, 03:14:46 am
    • Mexico

Yeah, I don't really think Nintendo cares that much about promoting third party releases. I don't want that SMTV guy at all, but Nintendo isn't gonna say "no" to him just because he'd be a tie-in release for a game that isn't owned by them.
#2618  September 30, 2021, 09:36:22 am
  • Back to the Beginnings
    • https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
Hero wasn't a tie-in release for DQ11 either, though.
Dragon Quest just really is THAT big of a deal in Japan.
And if Japan gets it, then we get it as well, if we like it or not.
===My discord servers===
Unlimited Force HQ: https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
Mega Man Megamix Engine Help Server: https://discord.gg/Wjm9GYU

Touhou database (by Ryouchi):
http://mugenfreeforall.com/index.php?/topic/8257-touhou-project/
you are all small and can't grow manly sideburns
#2619  October 01, 2021, 03:34:18 am
    • Puerto Rico
Like Trini said, Hero wasn't a tie in to DQ11.
If it were, it would have just been Luminary alone.
#2620  October 05, 2021, 03:34:08 pm
  • I want to learn, no criticize
    • Dominica
    • yaretromero@hotmail.com
its starting.!