YesNoOk

Grasshopper Frame Data Project (Read 7137 times)

Started by RobotMonkeyHead, February 14, 2013, 06:21:28 am
Share this topic:
Grasshopper Frame Data Project
#1  February 14, 2013, 06:21:28 am
  • Shakespear.
-Click screen shots to enlarge-

These downloads contain 2 characters, so you can see how it works.  The final release will be full.
Download Grasshopper - OpenOffice version
Download Grasshopper - Excel 97 version
Download Apache OpenOffice for free This is a free open source text editor/spreadsheet/powerpoint etc program I used.

I recently created this chart to make comparing, contrasting and averaging frame data easy and intuitive.  It's called Grasshopper and it takes source game frame data as well and as easily as Mugen character frame data.  There are many purposes it can serve but mostly they're in terms of balancing characters, be it during the creating process or afterwards for edits.

I'd like to start a frame data gathering project.  Any contributions at all are welcome, even if it's just a link to a site where some frame data can be found.  I'll keep a running list of those in this post, and we've already had a few great contributions by Banana and Cybaster.  I'll also keep a running list of characters who've been added.  Because it's a Spreadsheet which copies and pastes characters from a list of slots, there is really no limit to the amount of characters that could potentially be added.

Some of the notable features are that it keeps characters in groups which are averaged, and can be averaged with or subtracted from other groups to get their difference.  You can also compare individual characters to groups averages (KFM to MvC2 average for example), and get either their average or difference.  It also keeps track of the overall 'average character' based on all the data it has.  It can return Row averages as well for particular stats, meaning you can see a characters average damage, hit advantage, lead in frames, active hit frames, and recovery frames.  It does incorporate scalers too, so you can immediately see the affects of scaling a Mugen characters attack up or down in their cns and how that affects their balance relative to any other characters you have loaded in.  In effect, this could make balancing a private roster or a roster for a full game relatively easy and precise.  It allows you to see how actual source games are balanced as well, provided their data is loaded in.

So that's the project; adding in frame data.  The best I could hope for is for people to volunteer to add in characters. What that means is just going to the source games frame data page, and copying values onto the chart, then just upload your version of the chart, and I'll copy them onto the final release (depending on how this project goes there may be more than one official release).  You can add any character you like really, and on the release thread,a s well as my own thread, I'll be hosting as many versions of the chart as we can get data for.  There are some specific selections already made for the first official release version, but in the future there could be a chart for each game which includes all the characters.  A single chart can hold up to 36 characters, which for most games should leave some space to bring in Mugen characters for testing / comparison.  It's possible to create a library of source game frame data as well as mugen frame data for creation purposes, and the more people that help out the more there will be.  There is no reason not to include any character that people feel like contributing. 

Re: Grasshopper Frame Data Project
#2  February 14, 2013, 06:35:34 am
  • Shakespear.
#3  February 14, 2013, 07:22:00 am
  • tired
    • Skype - Istillhasnoname
I'm hoping you can get some Darkstalkers chars in there, the data would be useful for chars with attack chaining.
Is finding MUGEN to be more enjoyable to play when you're not wearing clothes an underrated opinion?
#4  February 14, 2013, 07:27:37 am
    • bunnaroath@gmail.com
    • https://www.youtube.com/user/TheShiroyaksha
Some Source i don`t  know.It hard!
#5  February 14, 2013, 07:45:44 am
  • Shakespear.
I'm hoping you can get some Darkstalkers chars in there, the data would be useful for chars with attack chaining.

Yeah some DS would be nice.  It's pretty easy to figure out attack chaining possibilities as is, just see which moves lead in frames are less than the others frame advantage.  The default chart isn't set up to record canceling, but you could easily make a custom setup for it if you wanted.

@Soknasful:  Watashi wa nihongo no bankyo shtimas. Nihongo ga amari hanasemasen :(  It can be time consuming, but once it's done, it's done and we forever have access to the data for comparison.
#6  February 16, 2013, 04:17:03 am
  • Shakespear.
Doesn't seem like anybody's too into this project.  Should I just release what I have and call it a day?
#7  February 16, 2013, 04:27:48 am
  • tired
    • Skype - Istillhasnoname
Releasing it would probably garner more attention, yeah. It'll probably snowball from there.
Is finding MUGEN to be more enjoyable to play when you're not wearing clothes an underrated opinion?
#8  February 16, 2013, 04:44:41 am
  • Shakespear.
Yeah that sounds pretty on... ok, I'll release it.
#9  July 05, 2013, 05:56:35 am
    • USA
    • lndnrivers@yahoo.com
#10  July 05, 2013, 02:53:30 pm
This might be interesting, but I don't think he will update this topic  since he is banned and if he returns he wouldn't contribute anymore here anyway.
Also, you necrobumped this topic. It was 4 months old.