YesNoOk

Is YouTube still for free? (Read 3671 times)

Started by demongorne, May 21, 2021, 12:39:23 pm
Share this topic:
Is YouTube still for free?
#1  May 21, 2021, 12:39:23 pm
    • demongorne.webs.com/
Hello everyone, lately i received an e-mail from Youtube with the new terms and conditions from 1 of june 2021. I report some part of the e-mail

A summary of the changes:

Facial recognition restrictions: The Terms of Service already state that you cannot collect any information that might identify a person without their permission. While this has always included facial recognition information, the new Terms make that explicitly clear.
    YouTube’s right to monetize: YouTube has the right to monetize all content on the platform and ads may appear on videos from channels not in the YouTube Partner Program.
    Royalty payments and tax withholding: For creators entitled to revenue payments, such payments will be treated as royalties from a U.S. tax perspective and Google will withhold taxes where required by law.

What does that mean? Do I have to pay to watch videos on youtube and to put mugen videos as well?
Re: Is YouTube still for free?
#2  May 21, 2021, 01:09:54 pm
    • Indonesia
At no point in that email did i get the implication that YouTube is turning into a paid service. Worst case scenario is that we get even more ads in the middle of videos, as if that wasn't already irritating enough.

Add me at Kazagami#7568 for an invite link to the WaifuLaifu Discord Server

#3  May 21, 2021, 01:22:05 pm
This doesn't say the viewer or the uploader pays money to Youtube / Google.
When you upload videos, if you're successful enough (with lots of views) to get in the Youtube Partners program, you can monetize them, meaning you can have advertisers pay you to put ads on you video. The last line here is saying that this will be treated as royalties under US law (regardless of the country of the uploader, I guess), which is just paperwork that doesn't matter to anyone but the uploader.
The second line about monetization means that Youtube can put ads on your videos even if you did not sell that space to advertisers, Youtube is the one selling the space to advertisers if they want to, and they get the money and you don't.
As a viewer, you still don't pay anything, you just watch videos with ads. Because ad time is money.

There's no real change, they were already doing all that. They're just making it clear that they can sell your stuff to advertisers without paying you shit, even though no one ever wants to watch ads, and Youtubers who don't get paid for it certainly don't want to put that burden on their viewers.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 01:25:57 pm by Byakko
#4  May 21, 2021, 02:57:59 pm
  • Are you ready?
    • USA
At no point in that email did i get the implication that YouTube is turning into a paid service. Worst case scenario is that we get even more ads in the middle of videos, as if that wasn't already irritating enough.

yeah especially the cringeworthy ads
#5  May 21, 2021, 03:26:08 pm
    • crepa.neocities.org
And that's why I use adblock. Usually I allow ads in some websites if is not too intrusive, but I simply can't stand it on youtube. Like seriously, two, sometimes even three ads in a row before and in the middle of videos is very abusive.
#6  May 21, 2021, 05:18:20 pm
  • Some guy with nothing better to do in his life
  • Nothing should exist in MIDI
    • USA
Yeah, it's becoming very clear that YouTube is literally destroying themselves and they are too foolish to realize their mistakes. At this point, I lost hope of there ever being a competitor of YouTube. YouTube should've just shut down when they had the chance.

Don't think...obey
#7  May 21, 2021, 05:55:00 pm
    • USA
I don't blame you. For me, the other problem with Youtube nowadays is that their policies and the copyright system has gotten so much worse it's not even funny.
#8  May 21, 2021, 05:56:35 pm
    • demongorne.webs.com/
All right, thanks everybody for answered.