YesNoOk

Final Fantasy MegaThread (Read 414485 times)

Started by DatKofGuy, December 20, 2012, 07:06:40 am
Share this topic:
Re: Final Fantasy MegaThread
#681  March 05, 2020, 03:48:10 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Red XIII will only be a guest for certain sections and not a fully playable character. They wanted to spread out his character arc and give him time to develop.

That's a bit of a let down, but understandable.  He doesn't show up until right before the party escapes from Midgar, which is where the first part of the remake ends IIRC.  May as well hold off on fully implementing him until players actually have a decent opportunity to use him.
#682  March 05, 2020, 09:52:40 am
what mode were you playing in? because when I open the battle menu whatever during a fight it slows down the actual fight itself. You didn't have enough time to choose then? The targeting thing I noticed too, was very easy to lose a lock on.
That was when I was trying to use the command shortcuts. And when I used the menus, I fumbled around between having to exit the menu, deal a couple more attacks to charge an atb bar (and block or dodge something), then reopen the menu. It's a lot of things to pay attention to, even with the slowdown - and it's a lot of different button inputs to keep up with at high speed when you're not in slowdown. And honestly, even in slowdown, it's easy to not know which button does what at a glance, so unless you look at everything carefully between every single button press, you can still mess up.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 09:57:17 am by Byakko
#683  March 05, 2020, 05:04:04 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico

Took a run at the demo. Man, that's kinda scary. Between trying to pull off some moves to realize that your atb gauge doesn't quite have one level available yet, making sure the boss in't shooting at you (as if you would have the time to react to bullets), wondering if the other character you're not currently controlling has anything good to pull off with their atb gauge or if they're just doing their basic attack, not deciding fast enough if I should block or dodge an incoming attack... Things go really fast in battle, I died to the scorpion boss once. I'm gonna have to pause with the command menu pretty often. And it doesn't help that I kept fumbling between Cloud's and Barret's menu without being sure where I was going in the menus with which trigger button.
That pressure got me panicking around those menus a couple times. I really don't blame anyone for demanding a classic mode.

That sounds hot AF. makes me want to play the game.
#684  March 05, 2020, 06:10:37 pm
  • Smooches
    • USA
    • Skype - Neocide
what mode were you playing in? because when I open the battle menu whatever during a fight it slows down the actual fight itself. You didn't have enough time to choose then? The targeting thing I noticed too, was very easy to lose a lock on.
That was when I was trying to use the command shortcuts. And when I used the menus, I fumbled around between having to exit the menu, deal a couple more attacks to charge an atb bar (and block or dodge something), then reopen the menu. It's a lot of things to pay attention to, even with the slowdown - and it's a lot of different button inputs to keep up with at high speed when you're not in slowdown. And honestly, even in slowdown, it's easy to not know which button does what at a glance, so unless you look at everything carefully between every single button press, you can still mess up.

Yea I understand the button mix up that happens to me too. Didn't feel overwhelmed by the menus though. I think it's something you can improve on in time
#685  April 04, 2020, 03:27:37 am

They're trying real hard to bury the lead about how much of the original game we're getting in this part 1...

edit - preorder is delivering physical copies early, it's go time for me.
Feels like the  ATB gauge charges a lot faster, it's much easier to pump specials and potions more regularly.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 08:17:14 pm by Byakko
#686  April 21, 2020, 05:47:13 am
Wow, really ? No one ?

48h for the normal mode, missed Tifa's Purple Pain and Aerith's Planet Protector (and you can't go back until you finish the game), and that fucking Raise materia takes forever to level up, so I missed that last battle report and Bahamut. Well, at least I have something to do with the chapter selection ! Beside switching the audio to Japanese, anyway. I loved Barret's performance, but I have to redo this in Japanese.
"Nailed it, I know, moving on !" was the best line in the whole game.
Jessie... was a funny surprise the first time when she suddenly got a personality in the demo, but for the whole game ? I dunno, it feels really weird. Even Cloud asks her if she's that desperate (and yet he still doesn't clap those cheeks for SOME reason). At some point it's just super weird and creepy that every single girl wants to jump his bone.

No item, no MP regeneration, hard mode sounds hella scary. Chakra, Pray, and Elemental materia will be great to mitigate the lack of items, cures, and elemental magic, but if one character dies in a fight, I'll just assume I'm fucked. Typical game plan is to stock pile on items because you never know when you'll need that extra single potion even in the end game (and keep those grenades but never use them), now it'll be "never use any spell because you never know when you'll need that last MP". Great.
Spoiler: The very end (click to see content)

On another note,

They made the AI do most of the work on lip sync with any language, facial expressions depending on the intonation of the voice actor, camera placement during minor NPC interactions, etc. That's insane.

edit -
doing my second play on Hard, and I really appreciate how they spread a shitload of dialog and visual cues all over the game that sprinkle very tiny details about the past (for Cloud, Tifa, Sephiroth). New players can take the time to replay this multiple times and notice all of those little dialog hints. So if you're a modern new player that likes to analyze his games and theory craft, you can gather up all those bits of information, line them up and connect them to understand the sequence of events, and figure out why Tifa hates Shinra and Cloud hates Sephiroth. You even have an equivalent of the Gold Saucer date scene, with a possibility to see Aerith, Tifa, or Barret in that night scene in Aerith's garden in chapter 14, and if you get Tifa, you can back up your understanding of their past some more.
This should be working rather well on today's Internet and Youtubers analyzing every detail of a game, even though it's easier to just look up the original game's wiki.
Spoiler: the end, again (click to see content)
Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 09:30:05 pm by Byakko
#687  April 24, 2020, 08:04:45 pm
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
I've been thinking about the game for some days now, mulling it over since beating it, and it occurs to me what all this is reminding me of in the back of my mind.  This Remake is essentially the Evangelion Rebuild movies.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

I will be that crotchety old fan and say I'm not particularly liking what they're doing with Biggs, Jessie and Wedge with their key alteration.  But I'm also not going to flip out of it and will wait to see what they do going forward.
#688  May 01, 2020, 11:24:56 am
In an interview in the recently released Ultimania, Nomura / Nojima / Kitase talk about the number of episodes there will be and when the next will come up. People have been worried that they still don't know how many episodes there will be and that must mean they don't fully know where they're going with the story.
In a nutshell, they do have a plan for the story, but they haven't decided how they'll cut it up. If they put more of the story in one episode, then it'll take longer to release that episode, and if they want to release it faster, then there will be more episodes.
My understanding of that is it'll probably rather depend on which story beat they want to end each episode on, like when they decided that the departure from Midgar was definitely a story beat worth ending episode 1 on (and then used the opportunity to pad Midgar a lot more). And like a big part of Midgar, it'll probably also have serious implications on how much padding / filler there will be in each section of the world depending on how they cut it up.
Spoiler: a point in the interview about the ending (click to see content)
So... When's the next major story beat ? Cosmo Canyon, Gold Saucer, meeting most of the rest of the cast, the Temple... I feel like we should get introduced with the Black Materia and explain the clones and the Reunion soon, but if they want to get that far, they'll have to avoid putting nearly as much padding as they did for Midgar. Or shift things around since Aerith will want to speed things up now (like move the Gold Saucer and Dyne later, Barret already got a good share of exposure). So just the eastern continent and southern islands IMO. The city of the Ancients, the North Crater, Cloud's mind can take episode 3.
Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 11:40:41 am by Byakko
#689  May 01, 2020, 03:42:46 pm
    • USA
Spoiler: So about that ending (click to see content)
#690  May 01, 2020, 04:46:57 pm
Spoiler: ending (click to see content)
Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 05:18:13 pm by Byakko
#691  September 16, 2020, 11:46:31 pm

Final Fantasy XVI out of fucking nowhere. Is this from Sony conference ? Is that going on right now ?
Summons and crystals at the core of the story but so far the look is that of a clone of XIV and Type-0.
I like how that one army has some more Middle East inspired army / weapon designs than just the usual medieval knight (which is still the there for the main "country"). And it looks like the summons will directly affect your fighting style, it looks cool.
Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 11:51:50 pm by Byakko
#692  September 17, 2020, 02:47:26 am
  • Lovely Day
    • USA
    • alexpower333@gmail.com
Give me a Amen. A return to turn based gameplay would be better but at least we know it’s coming.
#693  September 17, 2020, 12:08:49 pm
    • Philippines
    • https://web.archive.org/web/20181226221429/http://moogen.piiym.net/
I'm waiting for a trailer where they show airships because right now it's just generic medieval fantasy not the high fantasy with steampunk elements the classic FFs are known for. It's looking like a solo character action game either no party members in sight.
#694  September 18, 2020, 12:34:25 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
It's the pendulum Final Fantasy has been on for a long time.  Each iteration ups the technology level of its world more and more until they start skirting on the edge of pure sci-fi, then it swings back hard in the other direction.  Look at the escalation from 6 to 7 to 8, and then how far it was rolled back for 9.  It started creeping up again with the 13 series, 14's super future-tech enemy forces, and then 15 had you driving an actual freaking sports car around.  This is the next swing back.
#695  September 18, 2020, 12:59:42 am
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
Final Fantasy has lost so much of its identity over the years that the question would be what exactly makes a Final Fantasy game. Like, outside of a few common elements like the summons and the magic spells each game plays wildly different from each other, and the different types of settings don't help either. IMO I much prefer when they go with a high fantasy setting because it is what this series does best, when it skirts too much into sci-fi it just gets weird.
#696  February 25, 2021, 11:32:47 pm
PS5 update to FF7R, Final Fantasy 7 Intergrade with Yuffie episode, on a Wutai-related mission in Midgar with a new partner while Cloud is meeting Aerith in the church. ... Only on the PS5 version. They hid that last bit of info as long as they could in this showcase, fine print style, didn't they, obviously knowing that was what people wanted to know from the first second they showed Yuffie.
And the Dirge of Cerberus white hair guy ?
So it'll move the Wutai plot and the underground plot, okay.

Yuffie's triangle attack is throw, and her special moves include synergized art of war and synergized windstorm. Windstorm has her grab Sonon's staff, he spins around and launches her at the target, and her triangle attack then becomes retrieve. So they work in pair exclusively then.
Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 02:15:46 am by Byakko
#697  February 26, 2021, 11:59:58 am
    • USA
They also showed Ever Crisis and The First Solider at the same reveal.  Guess we got a FFVIIR battle royale now....for some reason.  Ah well, I greatly preferred the rumors First Solider was gonna be a Sephiroth-focused game before the reveal.
#698  February 26, 2021, 02:31:33 pm
??? In the state of play ? There was nothing after intergrade. Which reveal do you mean ? I didn't see it.
Oh, First Soldier is a battle royale game on smartphone. Wait on smartphones ??
And Ever Crisis is...

Oh shit.
Take the original, keep the turn based, swap out the graphics and models and animations. Oh and also throw in all the other Compilation games because we fucking can. /dead
Suer pumped about Crisis Core (edit for emphasis : I'm SUPER FUCKING PUMPED about Crisis Core remake), glad I'll be able to play Before Crisis, I don't mind Dirge of Cerberus, and no idea what they're gonna do with Advent Children if it's just the movie or.....?????

... Uh. So EC is a remake of the original itself (and not "the remake" FF7R). Sounds like they're keeping the original, then the AC-BC-CC-DC, and finally the EC is the remake (or they're making the remake as FF7R and EC is the original or whatever). That.... Isn't that basically what that old weird rumor was that EC was always planned to be the more modern remake but they just couldn't pull it off back on PS2 era, and the timeline fuckery really was what was planned ?

edit
Famitsu interview.
https://www.siliconera.com/tetsuya-nomura-final-fantasy-interview-reveals-new-game-details/
Max gives the longer translation of the article
Confirms the inclusion of Advent Children in game form, plus the story of First Soldier, and that one does include Sephiroth's youth. If they're remaking AC and FS in a different form from the original version with a rewriting of the story, I imagine that means Dirge of Cerberus can also be remade differently, both in gameplay and in story ?
Voice acting kept to a minimum (combat is voiced), good, don't bloat the file size.
Weiss does fight Cloud in Intergrade, so the Yuffie chapter will not be limited to her and Sonon after all ? They threw him in to have a strong big bad that's not Sephiroth, but he's not the big boss of Yuffie's chapter.
They decided to make Ever Crisis as a more classic remake because there were fans that were mad that Remake was more action and wanted the original top-down view, turn-based combat. lol. Materia use is also like the original.
Each game of the compilation will have their own chapters that you can play independently, you don't need to play the chapters in release order before accessing the next.
Chapters will be released monthly, I imagine they'll jump from game to game randomly if they want us to experience them independently.
Sonon is part of Yuffie's gameplay, but he's not playable himself (spoiler : he's not in the rest of the original game, he totally dies) (but they're probably reusing the work on him for Cid).

With Cait Sith appearing in the plate dropping scene for a hot five seconds for no reason, and if the DLC starts before that, I was thinking maybe Cait will appear in Yuffie's chapter and we'll see the plate drop from another angle ?
Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 09:41:38 pm by Byakko
New #699  June 17, 2022, 12:38:06 am

FF7 25th anniversary
- Intergrade on Steam
- new First Soldier stuff
- Ever Crisis with FF7 and CC footage with the new style, with a bunch of alternate costumes for everyone (and short hair Sephiroth or is that a twist ? Shouldn't be a twist, this is the faithful remake), closed beta test in 2022 on smartphones
- Crisis Core FF7 Reunion on all current platforms this winter (thank you baby Jesus) (and yes it still has Genesis with the face of that singer dude)
- FF7 Rebirth this winter on PS5, apparently focusing on the mystery of Zack, Cloud, and Nibelheim, and what's fiction and reality (Tifa getting upset at the suggestion that SHE is the impostor while she knows that Cloud is lying LMAO the nerves)
- confirmation of a third title in the FF7 remake series after Rebirth, so it's a trilogy
So it's gonna be the winter of Zack.

... With Ever Crisis being the faithful remake and CC remake being titled Reunion, I'm suspecting that CCReunion will not be a straight remake but a part of the Remake / Rebirth storyline, it will have its own version of the shadow thingies from Remake and then keep going with Zack making it to Midgar alive and then other stuff happening. They showed multiple parts of that final battle of the original CC but I think that'll be a fake-out.

I actually thought that the second part of FF7R was going to be titled Reunion for the whole "Cloud is manipulated into rejoining with Sephiroth" section, but they're giving that title to CC Remake instead, and using Rebirth to really say that it's a new story...

edit - oh fuck I just realized CCR is also coming on Switch.
Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 03:03:32 am by Byakko