YesNoOk

Understand, understand, the concept of fanart (and bad grammar) (Read 624552 times)

Started by Zantetsuken, September 26, 2012, 08:22:47 pm
Re: Understand, understand, the concept of fanart (and bad grammar)
#61  September 27, 2012, 05:00:33 pm
  • Holy BRAP
    • UK
#62  September 27, 2012, 05:09:31 pm
  • Raging Fist
sighs.....
You know, reading this now makes me wonder why I even come to this site if stupidity like this exists.
I am admin of 2 sites, and moderator for others, and seeing all this copyright bullshit fly is pissing me off.
Zan, CVSNB is doing an art commissions for the sake of earning a few extra bucks. NOT TOO HARD to do. Just because they're capcom characters does not mean CVSNB is being a bootlegging sneak about it. Its an ART COMMISSION. a Simple form of Pixel art, IN short: FANART.
Comic artists at DeviantArt do this ALL THE TIME.
So please, for all that's good, please Just zip your mouth and use your head Zan.
thats all I have to say.
#63  September 27, 2012, 05:35:15 pm
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Well, I had to split this off from the actual sprite release topic because of idiocy.

@Zantetsuken: do not post in the Gouken sprite thread again. You're already on thin ice.

Also, your question was answered multiple times. You've been getting insulted too BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT LISTENING. But I'll try explaining this to you without any insults.

Gouken's sprites are a kind of commission, which fans and artists have been doing regardless of medium, fandom, or what have you. Go to any comic convention with artists and you can pay them to sketch any character you want. You can go on DeviantArt and commision an artist to do the same thing. And there are countless other sites and places and even mediums artists can work in when doing commissions.

And nobody, outside of a few overzealous people (like Tim Buckley of Ctrl+Alt+Del but who cares about that guy he sucks), really cares about it. Fan art commissions generally are protected under Fair Use but not always. But in this case, it would be.

So yeah, nothing bad is going on, calm down and stop being dumb.
#64  September 27, 2012, 05:37:23 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
But I'll try explaining this to you without any insults.

:P

EDIT: Technically your explanation didn't have any insults at least, also you did say "try"
#65  September 27, 2012, 05:38:57 pm
    • USA
That's not an insult, it's an order.
#66  September 27, 2012, 05:39:53 pm
  • Raging Fist
Well, I had to split this off from the actual sprite release topic because of idiocy.

@Zantetsuken: do not post in the Gouken sprite thread again. You're already on thin ice.

Also, your question was answered multiple times. You've been getting insulted too BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT LISTENING. But I'll try explaining this to you without any insults.

Gouken's sprites are a kind of commission, which fans and artists have been doing regardless of medium, fandom, or what have you. Go to any comic convention with artists and you can pay them to sketch any character you want. You can go on DeviantArt and commision an artist to do the same thing. And there are countless other sites and places and even mediums artists can work in when doing commissions.

And nobody, outside of a few overzealous people (like Tim Buckley of Ctrl+Alt+Del but who cares about that guy he sucks), really cares about it. Fan art commissions generally are protected under Fair Use but not always. But in this case, it would be.

Thank you very much for proving my point Jmorph.
#67  September 27, 2012, 07:08:38 pm
  • Mugenite
    • www.freewebs.com/mangalegend
I'd rather get Capcom's official stance on people making money on their works to be honest.
I rock

#68  September 27, 2012, 07:12:38 pm
  • I am hilarious
  • and you will quote everything I say
    • USA
Quit being galactically stupid
#69  September 27, 2012, 07:19:07 pm
  • Legend now but still learning
    • USA
    • http://cvsnb.deviantart.com/
lol capcom work?

How many time capcoms steal idea's from acter's,actress,wrestlers,material artists n Other company gaming characters, try in use their base n make their own characters outta of it, aint that stealing idea from capcom side? where the copy right their Zan?
#70  September 27, 2012, 07:22:12 pm
  • Unity of Hearts
    • Spain
The sprites were never sold. Garuda paid CVSNB as a commission for making fanart. The sprites are free to use.
You know absolutely nothing of fanart and what it is to be an artist in general. Go on Deviantart and look at all the commissions that are done there. If you like an artist, you go ask him to draw Goku from Dragon Ball VS Luffy from One Piece, you give him 10$, he makes the art and puts it on Deviantart. There's no problem with this. There is no "copyright infringement". This is what's been done for years now. Artists are just asking for some money for the time they spend, it's not making money on the back of the copyright owner.

Because it seems you turn blind sometimes, every time you make a statement that shows you don't get it I will quote Cybaster post which is better than mine but still explains the same. That way perhaps you will start to understand what we're saying. Perhaps...
#71  September 27, 2012, 07:25:26 pm
lol capcom work?

How many time capcoms steal idea's from acter's,actress,wrestlers,material artists n Other company gaming characters, try in use their base n make their own characters outta of it, aint that stealing idea from capcom side? where the copy right their Zan?
This argument is terrible and you are only fueling Zantetsuken's bullshit with it. Just so you know. You should avoid those irrelevant responses if you want him to drop the crap he's saying.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#72  September 27, 2012, 07:27:31 pm
    • USA
lol capcom work?

This is pretty much the worst possible argument one could make to defend fan art commissions.

edit: fucking ninja'd :ninja:
#73  September 27, 2012, 07:27:49 pm
    • USA
wasnt really a argument it was more on on Copyrighting vs taking Idea's.

Copyrighted material capcom claim they have while they steal other's  idea's from taht are so called copy righted aswell. im off topic just to let u know.
#74  September 27, 2012, 07:29:27 pm
Again, claiming that Capcom is stealing ideas is an absolutely terrible argument to make, even if you know you are off-topic. You really need to not say that again. It gives fuel to people who want to throw shit like Zantetsuken is doing. It's also wrong and the legal equivalent of shooting yourself in the foot.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#75  September 27, 2012, 07:30:46 pm
    • USA
Copyrighted material capcom claim they have while they steal other's  idea's from taht are so called copy righted aswell. im off topic just to let u know.
Capcom doesn't steal ideas, because that's illegal. Sure, they've based characters on other companies' characters, but they make them different enough to avoid legal problems. And that situation is completely unrelated to the fan art thing!
#76  September 27, 2012, 07:32:04 pm
    • Chile
If Capcom is going to sue someone they will do it regardless of what is said on this thread.
#77  September 27, 2012, 07:32:52 pm
The point here is that they would have no reason to sue anyone.
#78  September 27, 2012, 07:33:37 pm
    • USA
i guess im wrong for saying that. but other wise back to my commission =O
#79  September 27, 2012, 07:41:09 pm
    • Chile
The point here is that they would have no reason to sue anyone.

Oh, companies always can make up reasons to sue people. But I doubt it would happen.

The fact this guy is riding his white horse of justice and trying to save this other guy from being sent to the jail make me shed a tear, even if it's useless, at all.
#80  September 27, 2012, 07:43:03 pm
  • Mugenite
    • www.freewebs.com/mangalegend
Like I said, you can argue amongst yourselves and I'll get the copyright owners opinion on it.
I rock