YesNoOk

what game are you playing right now (Read 1051508 times)

Started by Shunu, December 09, 2009, 09:37:27 pm
Share this topic:
Re: what game are you playing right now
#5161  February 01, 2021, 12:40:07 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
It's nice the sequel supposedly has SOMETHING, but it just infuriates me the missed opportunity at something substantial to be had here now.  I WANT to like Overwatch is what gets under my skin.  I just have zero interest in an online-only multiplayer team shooter.  Hell, I might have even been interested if it was like BioShock 2 or something, where each rank unlocks more story cutscenes to your chosen character.  But that doesn't seem to be the case, it's abstract implications of characteristics at best.  Like fighting game characters sans arcade openings and endings.  And Dark Souls this ain't at getting the point across through item descriptions telling a grander story put together.

Except that Overwatch was always marketed as a Multiplayer hero shooter and nothing more. Yes, they've been teasing the Overwatch lore but only through the movies, comics and short novels they've made. The only lore you get in-game is the character pre-match interactions and the Archives event in April(Unless they decide it's on March[it makes sense in context]). Outside of that, all you had was PvP.

The actual story continuing PvE will be on Overwatch 2, which is just Overwatch 1 with a PvE mode.
#5162  February 01, 2021, 03:51:22 pm
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Marketed as a shooting game?  Certainly, no disagreement there.  Nothing more?  The CGI trailer about murdering the robot Buddha and the ensuing revenge plot line to follow in-game tells me otherwise.

Everything you've said is true.  It's just a disappointment it's not more than that.  I dunno if it's just me being accustomed to Halo for I guess two decades now, but I expect a good story to go along with such an interesting world they put the effort into making.  Imagine if Halo: Combat Evolved launched with its three books and its last minute tied together multiplayer, and that's it?  That's what I'm getting out of Overwatch.  Wanting more from the clearly good ideas they leave at the table.
#5163  February 01, 2021, 08:32:11 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Overwatch was never intended to be a story-driven game off the rip. The marketing with the trailers is essentially Blizzard leveraging its resources to add flavor/lore to its characters and locales, not to establish any practices in game. You seeing the trailers and wishing for a story isn't a bad thing, and its almost certainly what you will be getting with Overwatch 2 (which is probably going to be a disaster) but there was never any implication of it being anything more than a hero shooter. Lore cinematics is a common convention of shooters with distinct personalities as playable characters
#5164  February 01, 2021, 10:19:08 pm
    • USA
I'm not unfamiliar with such trailers, Halo again cornered the market on those.

Neither of these examples particularly exemplify the exact content you're getting in either game, but connect to events surrounding them and the general feel for not just the titles in particular but the franchise as a whole.  The difference is, there still IS a story to be told in relation to them in the games, even if not exactly what the trailer presents.

I wasn't going in to Overwatch expecting a Hitman or Ghost Recon scenario where you're either out to kill the robot Buddha or attempt to organize a defense force to protect him.  But I was expecting that plot point to resonate between the character factions, seeing it was what was advertised to us as a related Big Plot Point and point of contention between dueling stars Tracer and Windowmaker.  But....it's just not a thing.  Hell, you can play with them on the same team like it's nothing.

Anyways, this is just going to go on in circles.  I GET what the game is, and why it finds success in being that.  It's just a disappointment to me personally hoping for something else.  Best to let it go.

DW

#5165  February 09, 2021, 03:36:02 am
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
Loop Hero Demo (PC)

Idk how such a minimal little rogue-lite can pull you in so much, but the game surely does lol. It's just the demo now, but there's a lot here to mess around with and prep you for the real game. Which comes out next month. I'll probably make a more in depth thread about this with strats and info on it. It's really fun and really addicting, and honestly I'm not even a big fan of the genre! Though this game is something different. It would kinda take me awhile to explain, so, if you're curious I suggest looking it up on YT.

I'm not sure if they will port this to consoles, but it's a very light game. I'm sure anyone could get this to run on their PC. I'm very much looking forward to when the full game releases.
#5166  February 11, 2021, 06:43:28 pm
    • USA
To go back, I went and started a new character in Diablo III on Hardcore this time.  Lot easier to run through knowing everything coming to pass, just wanted to try a new class out.

So I found the hidden easter egg to Whimsydale by chance.  It's weird to see such a harsh parody of MLP years after its internet craze phase.  But I guess the game is originally from 2012, so fits the timeframe?  It's just weird to get a throwback to when people were making fun of how cartoony Diablo III looks compared to the first two, so here's a hidden level all about gutting, goring and general bisecting obvious MLP-referencing rainbow colored horses and Care Bares, albeit their old designs.

Never got involved with the show myself, let it be its own weird fandom, but it's still awkward to come across these years divorced from all the hubbub.  Personally, I prefer The Secret Cow Level myself.
Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 07:03:49 pm by Long John Killer
#5167  February 20, 2021, 08:05:38 pm
call of duty mobile.
quite possibly the best FPS on mobile. no pay to win bullshit at all, you can reach veteran level without paying a penny. while there are some perks and costumes that are locked behind a paywall, those don't give any leveraging advantage for anyone who has them.
im not even a fan of call of duty but the fact that i can open it up for a quick team deathmatch while in the bus or in my break just makes this game truly something special. in PUBG you have to commit atleast 30 minutes to play a game, which is not a bad thing but its not ideal for short stops. 
if you have an iphone or a mid level android phone get this game, its great.
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#5168  March 08, 2021, 06:08:57 pm
    • USA
    • https://jthesaltyy.wixsite.com/jthesaltyymugen
i've been playing cvs2 nonstop for the past 72 hours someone help me
#5169  March 08, 2021, 06:14:30 pm
  • NINJA COP SAIZOU
    • Mexico
Been playing:
-Garena's Contra Return, I like this one a thousand times better than Rogue Corps.
-Replaying Blasphemous.
-And RetroMania Wrestling, the spiritual successor of WWF Superstars/Wrestlefest on Arcades.
#5170  March 09, 2021, 12:17:52 am
  • I want to learn, no criticize
    • Dominica
    • yaretromero@hotmail.com
Smash brother Ultimate the best offline fighting game
FigherZ the best MvC today
#5171  March 17, 2021, 12:03:15 am
    • USA
Undertale.

So...yeah.  The big meme game.  It surprise launched on Xbox just today.  Supposedly with some Xbox exclusive material, I dunno.  So I'm largely ignorant of what Undertale is other than memes and the general online narrative of what you're SUPPOSED to know.  I know there's a fat skeleton and a skinny skeleton named after Microsoft Word font types.  I know that this is supposedly Mother 3's spiritual successor when in development and they like to borrow Mother's troll mechanics of waiting long times doing nothing for events to happen.  I know that there's, like, a gazillion multiple endings, one apparently about becoming Hitler and exterminating a whole monster race or something.  And a parallel pacifist ending where no one dies and it's all sunshine and rainbows.

But what the actual damn game is like or the story or actual characters, not a thing.  So what the hell, it's free, I started it up and am blind running it.  Off the bat, I find it odd its compared to the Mother series so much.  This is clearly the opening to Majora's Mask.  The girl I'm playing as clearly fell to their death and is going through limbo.  It's also rather.....not to be mean, but the sprites are so crude.  I wonder why they never touched up on things like the flat, detail-less backgrounds after all the hype.

I dunno what ending I'm going for.  I was just adopted by a cow on hind legs and it has me waiting while it does chores.  I'm assuming a parental-related one.  Also a sunflower dude tried to eat me.
Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 03:23:30 am by Long John Killer
#5172  March 17, 2021, 04:38:40 am
Currently I'm addicted to Nioh 2.

I love it, its waaay to fun.

If you are not used to Souls-like games it can be a bit hard later down the line.

Lots of gear, skills, combat is awesome, cool levels etc.

Clocked in around 120 hours in the original Nioh however the second one is better and a lot better.
One thing I noticed they have reused a tiny amount of the main areas in nioh 1 as side missions in Nioh 2 dunno if I would call it lazy but I noticed it.
Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 04:44:47 am by PeXXeR

Amy

#5173  March 18, 2021, 01:30:46 pm
  • Ignorin'U
    • Switzerland
    • network.mugenguild.com/amysden/index.html
League of Legends (I know, right? pff....)

I've been trying to get into MUGEN again, but I need some motivation...
#5174  March 19, 2021, 03:48:05 am
  • "Some men just want to watch the world burn"
    • USA
Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep Final Mix. Currently in Disney Town meeting Queen Minnie
#5175  April 09, 2021, 06:09:38 pm
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • UK
Been getting into Spellbreak on XBox. Probably should play it on PC because of mouse controls but honestly I don't know if my laptop could keep up.

It's pretty good. I like how the focus isn't on guns, but on combining the different elements together and the benefits your primary element gives you. Also, the trimmed down equipment system is refreshing when most Battle Royale games swamp you in different hats, shoes, gloves etc. Currently my fave combo is Fire + Wind because flaming tornadoes, occasionally swapping wind for Earth or Poison.

Dunno how long this game's going to last, but I hope it gets some life breathed into it. The devs keep talking about adding extra modes outside of the Battle Royale stuff, so I'm curious to see where that goes.
#5176  April 09, 2021, 10:04:28 pm
  • Man of Mystery (and Chocolate)
    • USA
Thanks to Playstation Now, I've been getting into old PS3 games that I didn't play when I had one.

Recently, it's Metal Gear Rising: Revengence. Now, one of the things I don't like about PS Now is the inability to get the DLC content for certain games (Asura's Wrath, anyone?).. this just happens to be the Deluxe version with the DLC added on, so I'll be able to try the VR Missions and both side stories. So far, it's really good.
#5177  April 12, 2021, 05:24:44 am
  • Samurai Sprite Ripper
  • Currently ripping Ninja Warriors
    • Japan
    • sites.google.com/view/kanbeiscreations/home
Went back to playing Tatsunoko Fight on PS1 and Samurai Warriors on the PS2.
Still love these games.
Tatsunoko Fight is a fan-service game with different gameplay compared to other fighters but whatever its fun and I love the Tatsunoko Gatchaman series.
Samurai Warriors I love this series and I always love playing the classics.
#5178  April 12, 2021, 07:37:19 am
  • Gaming Content Creator
  • Nobody Exists
    • Bangladesh
    • aumiokhan@yahoo.com
GTA 5 and SFIII Mugen with Dan.
Sig 1: I am nobody... Neither you... We won't be any matter just after a few years later when we die. Enjoy the happiness and sadness for now.

Sig 2: When someone or, a bunch of people makes fun of you. The total time they invested in making fun of you, is the time they couldn't manage to stay focused on their work or, development. If you care about them, let them know. If you don't, then don't bother. Stay focused on your own business.

Sig 3: You did a mistake and then you simply admit it after realizing your fault. This is one of the coolest things ever you can do in your lifetime.
#5179  April 15, 2021, 06:20:06 pm
  • I want to learn, no criticize
    • Dominica
    • yaretromero@hotmail.com
Ive been playing Horizon Zero Down on PC is good game for single player contens os if you've played Tomb Raider you will like it
#5180  May 07, 2021, 09:39:35 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
Monster Hunter Rise
Everyone loves Monster Hunter. You just have to play it long enough to realize it.
I'm going to miss clutch claw but Wirebug makes up for it. Also doggo drifto.
But my favorite part is getting a gem from a tail carve while playing with friends and hearing their reaction.

And they brought layered armors early so Fashion Hunting Ahoy!