YesNoOk

Guilty Gear Strive: Steam/Play4/5/and Rollback-Netcode (Read 1257131 times)

Started by yaret, August 05, 2019, 04:39:21 am
Share this topic:
Re: Guilty Gear Strive: Steam/Play4/5/and Rollback-Netcode
#141  April 30, 2022, 11:15:57 pm
  • Back to the Beginnings
    • https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
...can we instead talk about how Guilty Gear Strive has removed insta-kills for seemingly no reason?

Like, why did they remove insta-kills anyway? They are a quintessential part of Guilty Gear, you can't just remove them like that.

Honestly, Arc System Works fucked up big time there.
===My discord servers===
Unlimited Force HQ: https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
Mega Man Megamix Engine Help Server: https://discord.gg/Wjm9GYU

Touhou database (by Ryouchi):
http://mugenfreeforall.com/index.php?/topic/8257-touhou-project/
you are all small and can't grow manly sideburns
#142  May 01, 2022, 01:50:46 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
Instant Kills were useless, only served for a flashy finish and were only viable when they could be canceled into after fulfilling the conditions to enable being canceled into in Xrd.

Nobody actually seriously used them except for a hail mary and their exclusion in Strive doesn't actually take away anything from the game

Next question.
#143  May 01, 2022, 02:27:42 am
  • EL FUCKO GRANDE
  • I'm back, nerds
    • Canada

Nobody actually seriously used them except for a hail mary and their exclusion in Strive doesn't actually take away anything from the game
That's not true, though. IKs were just as good for the competitive scene as they were for the casual space.
They saw an insane amount of use in AC and beyond due to how wildly the pace of the game changed, and one nasty setup and the inability to mash insanely hard during stun (think full Ground Viper inputs) meant you died, and that's not something that's so easy to escape in realistic situations. Most Eddie players in AC got carried by the fact that not only did he have easy stun over a sneaky ]H[ into 6P spam, he also had the fastest activation in the whole series.

Even if you didn't use them, popping IK mode by itself is a hell of a mindgame that can absolutely mess with someone's head, even top players, eg. Kusoru vs. Steve H at Final Round XV when the former allegedly mashed it and the latter essentially didn't know what to expect, only to get chipped out

In Xrd, most IKs gained insane invuln on startup, making them even scarier to run into raw. Never mind the fact they would make them comboable on final rounds as if they were BB Astrals, so even if you did anticipate a Hail Mary, nothing would prepare you for an actual kill setup.

Instant Kills are intrinsically part of Guilty Gear's personality since the very beginning and the lack of IKs was one of Strive's biggest points of contention before release next to the switch to footsies and the vastly changed air game. While their exclusion wouldn't take anything away from it gameplay-wise, it did sour the mood of most diehards, regardless of their competence in the series as a whole.

To say what you just said in good conscience with all that in mind is just plain disingenuous.

On the other hand, I don't mind their removal much anymore as you can already kill somebody in less than ten ingame seconds with a gold burst and a wallbreak so lol ggs shake my hand
#144  August 08, 2022, 07:18:49 am
  • Lovely Day
    • USA
    • alexpower333@gmail.com

Like the great General Ackbar said “It’s a trap”
#145  August 08, 2022, 07:54:35 am
    • Brazil
Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 03:36:55 pm by Macaulyn97
#146  August 08, 2022, 08:48:13 am
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
I like the idea People who don't really know GG and only followed the "Smell of the game" trends will react like :"Oh, SHE's so cute, this brand new character is my main now!" LOL

Anyway, glad to see him back, but it was definitely not what I was wainting for... the most.
I'm still missing my Jam Kuradoberi... Johnny...

But I suppose In 2022 you have to make your communication with more "unusual" fighting game archetypes... (when Johnny and Jam are old gamers archetypes)

Also, Bridget was kind of fresh when he appeared in the past, but now, I have this feeling it's a male May with pallet swap and different moves.
(Because of May new design)
One more cute character archetype of this kind would not be a priority for me... (beside the fact he's a guy)

Anyway, I'll wait for Jam... to put my interest back to this game.
Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 01:52:14 pm by Momotaro
#147  August 08, 2022, 01:23:25 pm
    • Philippines
    • https://web.archive.org/web/20181226221429/http://moogen.piiym.net/
The English localization on the website goes out of it's way to not refer to Bridget with any pronouns, which is very jarring to read, even though his bio still states that he's a boy who was raised as a girl.

Didn't stop them from referring to him with "she" in the in-game profile anyway.
#148  August 08, 2022, 03:38:50 pm
    • Brazil
#149  August 08, 2022, 04:02:21 pm
  • You Can't Handle The Truth!
    • www.youtube.com/user/DevilRaptorB
#150  August 08, 2022, 04:23:24 pm
  • I want to learn, no criticize
    • Dominica
    • yaretromero@hotmail.com
she was dreaming for almost 20 years with that logic she is perfectly fine that she looks young, bridget is also the best second DLC this game has in my opinion.
Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 04:30:05 pm by yaret
#151  August 09, 2022, 12:45:26 pm
eww western identity politics... seriously i do not care for it , it's just getting really old now and obnoxious.

they really dumb down bridget killing machine acts more like a full screen maintenance disaster. and his dp isn't aerial anymore i wish he still has his old shooting star for an aerial version. his aerial dive is ok but the delay sometimes makes it a bit predictable i wish they could've made it like a hold button thing.

he's ok , but not as good as he was before. he is still fun to play with and still my favourite best boy in the game.
#152  August 09, 2022, 01:07:22 pm
  • Miss Pink Maid♪
    • kohaku.trinitymugen.net
eww western identity politics... seriously i do not care for it , it's just getting really old now and obnoxious.

This has nothing to do with politics. It's literally about a boy who was raised as a girl by their socially ostracized parents who refused to kill or exile him because of some superstition. Said boy wanted to prove that stigmata of having twins of the same gender was a bunch of bullshit so he decided to become a successful bounty hunter to bring in lots of money to prove that having twins wasn't a misfortune at all while also trying to be more masculine to drive the point home that he was one of a pair of male twins.

Sometime in the future (Strive) he finally becomes a successful bounty hunter and feels content that he "broke" the curse, but now has nothing to do in life and tries desperately to find a purpose and identity, but throughout his adventures despite his initial dislike of being raised as a girl he slowly comes to terms to how he was raised and starts opening up and embracing her true self with the help of Goldlewis and Ky.

While I do feel her coming out as a trans woman is a bit abrupt and needed more build up, the only person making it political is you.
#153  August 09, 2022, 02:01:43 pm
i know his back story , what i meant is the people saying about him.
#154  August 09, 2022, 02:11:44 pm
  • I want to learn, no criticize
    • Dominica
    • yaretromero@hotmail.com
is she a boy? :yuno:
#155  August 09, 2022, 04:05:12 pm
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
  • Ambassador of MugenRevival
    • South Korea
    • sites.google.com/view/kolossoni-mugen
is she a boy? :yuno:

She decided to call/identify herself as a "girl" now.
it's just getting really old now and obnoxious.

I disagree with this.

If someone wants to be regarded as a "female" when they're biologically a male, that's their wish and we should respect that. If the devs decided to make her identify herself as a "girl" now, then we should accept that too.

As long as people don't cross the line and argue against their original sex they were born in, there's nothing wrong with respecting one's request in viewing his/her gender.

While I do feel her coming out as a trans woman is a bit abrupt and needed more build up, the only person making it political is you.

Is she a trans woman though? She only identifies herself as a woman. I don't think she started transitioning yet. Sorry, I'm not too familiar with gender identities.
#156  August 09, 2022, 05:32:38 pm
  • Miss Pink Maid♪
    • kohaku.trinitymugen.net
Yes, she's considered a trans woman.
#157  August 09, 2022, 05:40:26 pm
    • Brazil
i know his back story , what i meant is the people saying about him.
Misgendering a trans person is considered transphobia. I suggest you stop doing that, you're making yourself look even more unlikable, specially after that stupid statement about "political". A queer person or character's existance is not a political statement, the only problem I see is your attitude.

Is she a trans woman though? She only identifies herself as a woman. I don't think she started transitioning yet. Sorry, I'm not too familiar with gender identities.
You don't need to physically transition to be considered trans. Its all about what you identify as.
#158  August 09, 2022, 09:37:59 pm
See this is why i said i have a problem with people talking about it and being obnoxious. Im already labeled as transphobic. And no its not transphobia if you misgender someone.because there are languages like ours that has no gendered terms.

Im from a region that has the most trans woman in the world. We Already done this shit almost 20 years ago. If you're born male and identify as female you can only be recognize legally as a female post transition. That way false claims and abuse won't happen.

I think japan adopted it as well a few years back.

But were getting out of topic its better to have a separate thread for this.
#159  August 09, 2022, 11:25:19 pm
    • Brazil
See this is why i said i have a problem with people talking about it and being obnoxious. Im already labeled as transphobic. And no its not transphobia if you misgender someone.because there are languages like ours that has no gendered terms.

Im from a region that has the most trans woman in the world. We Already done this shit almost 20 years ago. If you're born male and identify as female you can only be recognize legally as a female post transition. That way false claims and abuse won't happen.

I think japan adopted it as well a few years back.

But were getting out of topic its better to have a separate thread for this.
I called out what you did because what you did IS transphobic. There is no debate on that, YES, it is transphobic to misgender a trans person, and you can't hide behind languages because I just checked your comment history and you seemed to have no issue differentiating male and female pronouns until this specific situation, so your excuse about having no gendered terms in your language really doesn't work. Also, being recognized legally as the gender you identify as has NOTHING to do with whether or not you'll respect that person's identity, the person doesn't need to be "legally trans" to be respected. Also, you literally have no excuse to label any of this situation as political, because calling queer people "political" is the kind of thing bigoted people do.
Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 11:44:59 pm by Macaulyn97
#160  August 10, 2022, 12:33:19 am
    • USA
literally starting up drama over a characters gender. Yes how it was handled with their story could have been better I agree with that, but who fucking cares what gender they are. It's a fighting game at the end of the day. If they are a good character, and plays well, and people are happy with the character being in the damn game, than that's all that should matter. People getting so bent up over nothing