YesNoOk

Most Innovative Creations  (Read 11075 times)

Started by Generic Main Character, October 12, 2014, 08:09:02 am
Share this topic:
Most Innovative Creations
#1  October 12, 2014, 08:09:02 am
  • Plain as white bread.
    • USA
    • Adv3nturePrime@yahoo.com
Hello, Guild. I remember a really long time ago when Randomselect was actually populated with people, they ran these award themed threads, much like this website's CoTM section. My favorite part is seeing that year's most innovative work, it's very interesting to see how some creative minds work with this engine.

Since the CoTM structure is mostly what people consider to be the general best of the year, rather than a specific category (really glad we don't have a "worst character of the year" award. Always just seemed like a tool to put people down) I would like to see what people view as the most innovative creations to have come out in recent years?

I'll go ahead and get the most obvious out of the way, OmegaPsycho's boss levels are pretty darn innovative.
Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 08:23:01 am by Generic Main Character
Re: Most Innovative Creations (Modern)
#2  October 12, 2014, 08:22:55 am
  • Super Mario Fighters 3 resurrected.
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
Mine's would be Segare by Touiken, and Teppei. (Forgot creator)
Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 03:58:03 am by メインキャラクター
Re: Most Innovative Creations
#3  October 12, 2014, 10:05:55 am
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
Hahaha the Randomselect Awards. Good lord does that stir up some bad memories BUT LET'S NOT TALK ABOUT THAT.

Probably the most innovative in my opinion was felineki's Akuma because the attention to detail is so great that it makes me think felineki is crazier than users that actually do have mental illnesses. I could also say the same for Rajaa's Urien but I'm a little mad at him now because my secret char that I pooped out in an hour can't damage him at all due to how his hitstates are coded. Also a lot of the originally sprited chars of late are automatically incredible.

Also I just realized that your username is "Generic Main Character" and the katakana in Dorae's name sounds out "Main Character." /me chants "Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!"
#4  October 12, 2014, 10:16:10 am
  • i'm a gay trans lady
  • to hell with this site, find me at mffa or w/e
    • USA
    • Skype - MelvanaInChains
    • www.melv.thedailypos.org/
ahuron's mukuro, because a friend and i have a theory that he coded one striker a day, and that results what we have here. a lot of insane and fun ideas there

3ha's shadow sumou, a 'what if' hidden-mvc-character-version of e. honda that also comes with an alt hakan mode...that he can also switch to in-game

adamlexus's nostalgic ballz, because find me another character that implements savestates in mugen

brown's gene, for many many reasons, but i like the customizable move set-up at the beginning of the fight

juano16's soul ninja(s), because really, packaging the separate characters into individual palette triggers is a pretty neat idea. makes arcade mode a total gamble too lol. but most of all saves a LOT of space on your roster, should you want them

hanyu-maru, managed to make the ane-san characters in a fighting game format (one even comes with the scary face challenge minigame), made bootleg-sprite lee chaolan play like full-blown tekken 2, etc
#5  October 12, 2014, 05:11:55 pm
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/saikoros-high-resolution-mugen-portraits-fatal-fury-full-set-145724.0.html
Fantastic replies thus far. What I would consider innovative would be:

Aiduzzi's Ella, Ubu, Kuando and Giano. They're completely original and everything is done from scratch. And they're also a lot of fun to play as. The same can be said for Reu's DragonClaw and the Black Heart fullgame.

Sean Altly's Shades of Manhattan deserves honorable mention due to being 100% original and also from scratch, sprites and style wise. I also love his Resident Evil 2 Mr.X Character. Innovation here is more for originality sprite wise as Sean used plenty of existing material for a base of his work.

I've always had a soft spot for MASA's SF2 recreations. Not only are they very accurate, but those sub-menus to adjust and tweak playability are pretty clever.

I also think everyone knows and appreciates P.o.t.S. "best of style" that everyone is still harkening back to these days.

Lastly, my personal favorite Mugen characters are all of Dcat's TMNT entries. His mixture of custom sprites, scads of voice clips/sound effects and charm through custom intros and rock solid playability make these releases very innovative in my book.
All of your Mugen Portrait needs may be found HERE.

I'd like to report two robots on the MFG forums: One is EXShadow. The other is Saikoro.
There should be a Saikoro plugin for Photoshop.
#6  October 13, 2014, 03:34:21 am
    • Poland
It's weird no one mentioned Reika by Taruse I mean this char is old, it comes from 2000 year so it's 14 years old char and back then this char really was really really something. It have original sprites, & gameplay, cutscenes during supers, can pick up weapon from the ground and her LV3 Super have Zoom + own background. Even today stuff like these is rarely present in character. It still amaze me how Taruse was manage to pull all that off on such old version of Mugen. Anyone who doesn't know Reika should immediately try her out.

Another thing come to mind is Babel Sword game by TATsu. I mean he turned Mugen into space shooter. How cool is that ? Even Elecbyte was impressed at his creation and that itself tells a lot.

And there is Dragon Claw by Reu which turned to be some sort icon of Mugen. I'm suprised no one mentioned him before me.
"If our lives are indeed the sum total of the choices we've made, then we cannot change who we are. But with every new choice we're given, we can change who we're going to be." The Outer Limits S04E04

"If knowledge is power and power corrupts... how will human kind ever survive?" The Outer Limits S04E16
#7  October 13, 2014, 03:37:03 am
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/saikoros-high-resolution-mugen-portraits-fatal-fury-full-set-145724.0.html
All of your Mugen Portrait needs may be found HERE.

I'd like to report two robots on the MFG forums: One is EXShadow. The other is Saikoro.
There should be a Saikoro plugin for Photoshop.
#8  October 13, 2014, 04:42:05 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
the obligatory choice here is training by stupa, cant get more innovative than that

ukege's rockman minigames
shinpan by cannon musume (bg character that cheers you on)
angledrawsphere by pkrs (aka the jesus ball)
dhalsim with clones by NRF for all the crazy combos and shit you can do plus the super that transforms the opponent into dhalsim.
the custom model characters from baki the grappler by tokage
also going with nostalgia ballz by the_none for savestates/achievements
e. honda by theedge for a functional, completely custom sprited and beautiful char
kamekaze's system conversions of sfex, mvc3 and mvc2
tatsu's stages and add04basic/whatever that shit was called
akuma by felineki/cvs2 chars by jesuszilla for accuracy
tony won by mitai dake for all his great specials and supers, such as summoning a crowd that throws bottles at you
tokei's characters

#9  October 13, 2014, 04:52:42 am
  • tired
    • Skype - Istillhasnoname
dhalsim with clones by NRF for all the crazy combos and shit you can do plus the super that transforms the opponent into dhalsim.
Dhalsims is the best.

Kamekaze's custom GG-esque fighters (Tristan, Alcott, Captain Falcon, Roa) for their very existence.
Choujin's DBZ characters for being fun, relatively balanced, and really visually pleasing.
The_None's Giygas for...whatever the fuck it's there for.
Why did nobody mention Evil Ryu/Evil Ken by Reu, seriously.
Senator Liebman by The_None because I don't think I need to explain why.
The_None's Battle K-Road characters (I think I'm noticing a pattern here).
Don Drago's characters because of all the custom spritework and effort put into converting 4-button SNK-esque characters into fully functional 6-button characters with custom gameplay (especially his Geese with nine modes and three groove options to choose from).
Kamekaze's KOF 13 characters (especially his Rugals).
Iron Fist Ryu by Ahuron because Iron Fist + Ryu = a shoto I actually play as.
Sander's KOF characters (Kyo and Terry especially).
The_None's Shadow Kouma for being Double before Double existed.
Is finding MUGEN to be more enjoyable to play when you're not wearing clothes an underrated opinion?
#10  October 13, 2014, 04:58:41 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
whipkai: for she showed that a character does nto has to be done in it's original game style to be good.
evil ken: while it took tears and blood it was the first evil character done right.
#11  October 13, 2014, 05:01:17 am
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
Neat Unsou's Sonans/Wobufett.
Omegapsycho's stuff.
Mabskmk's Metal Slug adaptations.
Cyanide's Kirby.
PotS' multiple bonus characters, specially Duck Hunt.
Doggiedoo's Warzard/DD characters.
The japanese guy behind Richter, Dracula and Alucard.
Fh... you know, the IBWTG fangame guy.
Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 05:07:44 am by The Simplistic Fubini
#12  October 13, 2014, 05:43:36 am
  • Five Dynasties of Water
    • Mexico
    • Skype - alchemistofatlas
Kamekaze's custom GG-esque fighters (Tristan, Alcott, Captain Falcon, Roa) for their very existence.

They're actually more aimed at Blazblue's style than Guilty Gear.

Also, OmegaPsycho's boss characters are pretty much the most innovative characters ever. His Shang Tsung deserves special mention (so does Legion and Beelzebub).
PotS said:
That they don't just restrict themselves to my style.

Fact.
#13  October 13, 2014, 05:49:48 am
  • "VS. Style Debuts - CEO"
  • Death is the start of a brand new cycle
    • Brazil
    • Skype - emperorzankuro
    • https://shinzankuro.carrd.co/
Talking about creations... In a VS Style talking, Beximus inspired me much. [Especially of HOW he converts a NON-MvC character to a VS Style perfectly, like he did with Rolento, Guy, Hugo, Phobos, Urien and the whole roster of Capcom Universe]

Kamekaze also for his MvC2 alongside with Mouser, those two guys rocks with his MvC2 systems :) .

I always loved also the Sean Alty characters, maded from scratch to a full character. If I have the same patience of him for DRAWING my own sprites D:
- Want to commission me for a artwork? Just come here
- Donations is welcome
#14  October 13, 2014, 07:12:42 am
  • i'm a gay trans lady
    • USA
#15  October 13, 2014, 08:58:33 am
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net
You guys are too young to even know about J'Dar II by KGenjuro
XGargoyle: Battle posing since 1979
http://xgargoyle.mgbr.net
http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=e71c0d43fe35093a  <-- Please click that link
http://paypal.me/XGargoyle  <-- Donations welcome!
#16  October 13, 2014, 11:05:22 am
  • i'm a gay trans lady
    • USA
new entry: a metal slug 5 enemy edited to be one of the mister gutsies from fallout 3, courtesy of rei
#17  October 13, 2014, 01:43:29 pm
  • JNS
  • The One and Only
    • battlecraze.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Main_Page

玉と碎けよ!
Mugen Things I Did/Battle Craze!!
#18  October 13, 2014, 03:32:31 pm
  • Robotics Engineer
    • USA
    • altoiddealer@gmail.com
I nominate myself for my marriage proposal  :pimp:  Just kidding, it's a unique sequence obviously, but the triggers are simple, no groundbreaking or bar-raising code here.

I have to agree with all of Saikoro's comments on Dcat's TMNT characters.  However I can't quite recall if those were released this year or last... Krang has been my favorite addition to my roster in awhile.

Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 03:52:09 pm by altoiddealer
#19  October 13, 2014, 04:58:32 pm
  • Nothing ever ends
    • Portugal
    • www.justnopoint.com/loona
While Ihaven't kept up with more recent developments, back in their day Splode (Rogue with multiple power sets, Randy Green levelling up and getting a menus to customize his stats accordingly) and 3ha's (2 characters in 1, including Fio from Metal Slug riding a Sentinel) stuff was pretty great.

Necromancer's original Piccollo was also pretty great - levelled up, duplicated himself and the duplicate had its own AI, lots of interesting features and tricks with help with the DBZ flavor (IIRC, having him charge his power would push opponents back). Couldn't not mention that one.
#20  October 13, 2014, 05:35:26 pm
  • "VS. Style Debuts - CEO"
  • Death is the start of a brand new cycle
    • Brazil
    • Skype - emperorzankuro
    • https://shinzankuro.carrd.co/
- Want to commission me for a artwork? Just come here
- Donations is welcome