YesNoOk

Custom Guile idle animation (Read 4217 times)

Started by O Ilusionista, January 09, 2016, 08:14:22 pm
Share this topic:
Custom Guile idle animation
#1  January 09, 2016, 08:14:22 pm
  • A living Mugen dinossaur :)
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
    • www.brazilmugenteam.com
Here is a custom animation I made for Guile. I've tried to give his name tag a bit of movement, dunno if it had worked.

This animation is open source. You can use it, just don't claim as your own and please give credit.

I can do commissions for animations like that. PM me if you need one.

Original Guile sprites are copyrighted by Capcom.
Re: Custom Guile idle animation
#2  January 09, 2016, 08:16:44 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
#3  January 09, 2016, 08:17:46 pm
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
Yeah I had doubt where I should put this. Isn't that area for full expansions? I think I will make just one animation for him.
#4  January 09, 2016, 08:19:36 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Nope it's perfect for a single animation or a single sprite. It's fine to stay here too.
#5  January 09, 2016, 08:26:21 pm
  • SNK is life
It looks like you used some custom software to make that anim. Was it at least easy to use, or was it a chore? :P

Did you rotate parts and then pasted together, or did you use a progam to rig bones?
#6  January 09, 2016, 08:42:13 pm
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
It looks like you used some custom software to make that anim. Was it at least easy to use, or was it a chore? :P

Did you rotate parts and then pasted together, or did you use a progam to rig bones?

I use a program with bone feature. Its a pain to prepare the sprites to animate, and you need to retouch every frame manually.
#7  January 13, 2016, 07:50:52 am
  • Also in the sky, the strength of love has wings...
    • Mexico
Can you tell me what program it is? Curiosity had killed me... (Well, not a cat, :V)
#8  January 20, 2016, 04:49:08 pm
  • SNK is life
For the record, pixel perfect rotation of sprites using RotSprite is VERY effective, but that means you move everything in your image file, so if you wanted only specific parts to move, you'd have to rotate them alone and then paste them on top of your sprites one by one.
#9  January 20, 2016, 05:08:39 pm
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
This is a generic forum signature.
#10  January 20, 2016, 05:12:56 pm
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
For the record, pixel perfect rotation of sprites using RotSprite is VERY effective, but that means you move everything in your image file, so if you wanted only specific parts to move, you'd have to rotate them alone and then paste them on top of your sprites one by one.

Yes, for those kind of things, RotSprite is the best option. The way it works is amazing - the program scales up the image up to 8x, rotate then scale down.
This prevents a lot of artifacts on the image. You still need to clean the image sometimes, specially if use it animations where you have still parts, like idle animations.

Can you tell me what program it is? Curiosity had killed me... (Well, not a cat, :V)

SInce Illu said a program with a bone feature, I'm gonna go and say its either Spine or Spriter.

Its Spriter Pro.
#11  January 20, 2016, 08:13:04 pm
  • SNK is life
(RotSprite) The way it works is amazing - the program scales up the image up to 8x, rotate then scale down.
This prevents a lot of artifacts on the image. You still need to clean the image sometimes, specially if use it animations where you have still parts, like idle animations.
In my experience it prevents artifacts (smudging colors, creating new colors not on the palette) 100% of the time. The only "clean up" is polishing the final look, and maybe re-connect broken lines due to the moving around of the pixels.

Also, I've noticed that the way the algorithm is written, you might get different results for the same angle depending on how you calculated the rotation, so that way you have up to 4 frames to choose from for a certain angle, and pick the one with the least ugly thing you notice :) 
* I can elaborate on what I mean by this in case anybody is curious

It's pretty good, but it's still a chore. Best option would be a program with bone features that generated absolutely no artifacts whatsoever.
#12  January 20, 2016, 08:24:34 pm
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
Also, I've noticed that the way the algorithm is written, you might get different results for the same angle depending on how you calculated the rotation, so that way you have up to 4 frames to choose from for a certain angle, and pick the one with the least ugly thing you notice :) 
* I can elaborate on what I mean by this in case anybody is curious

Please do, I'd love to understand and/or learn anything new in digital art :yes:
This is a generic forum signature.
#13  January 20, 2016, 08:56:40 pm
  • SNK is life
With Rotsprite, you basically
1. Feed it an image
2. Tell it how many degrees to rotate
3. How many frames you want it to generate in between

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Usually any rotation can be achieved in the span of a 90 degree angle. But there are 4 quadrants of 90 degrees in a 360 degree circle of possibilities. Meaning that due to the algorithm of how RotSprite is doing its calculations, you can rotate something 360 degrees, and get 4 different calculations of the same angle, which can generate 4 different results that would require different degrees of polishing. You just pick the one you like the most out of those 4 results and voilá.

I hope I made myself clear enough. You should try the tool yourself, it's very simple. The real success that comes with it is directly related to experimentation, and like everything else in life you'll get more proficient with the tool the more you practice with it.
Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 09:03:10 pm by walt
New #14  January 20, 2016, 09:06:47 pm
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
In my experience it prevents artifacts (smudging colors, creating new colors not on the palette) 100% of the time. The only "clean up" is polishing the final look, and maybe re-connect broken lines due to the moving around of the pixels.
Sorry I wasn't clear. I mean when you use it for RESIZE (its amazing too) and you need to use it in any animation with some static parts, not scale.

Best option would be a program with bone features that generated absolutely no artifacts whatsoever.
Its impossible, if you want pixel perfect aka pixel art sprites. If you want smooth sprites, then Spriter Pro and others can do the job.
Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 09:12:15 pm by O Ilusionista