YesNoOk

Kof 2003 Portrait project (Read 1136469 times)

Started by Melcore, March 11, 2014, 09:11:14 am
Share this topic:
Re: Kof 2003 Portrait project
#1061  September 22, 2021, 02:25:43 am
    • Argentina
I did more portraits

Alice (KOF XIV), Syota Sendo and Kisarah

#1062  September 23, 2021, 01:25:32 am
  • Democracy is non-negotiable.
  • coding nearly done, supers and AI left.
    • USA
    • www.patreon.com/melcore?fan_landing=true&view_as=public
both the alice and Kiserah are pretty good, very minimal work would need to be done to have them both fit in.
sendo could really used some weight though, I thought he was a larger character
#1063  September 23, 2021, 09:17:00 pm
    • Argentina
Yeah I was changing him, he was a portrait I found on google, I dont remember who made the original edit.

I also wanted to do Her sister Junko, also Im thinking about create portraits for Bob Wilson and Hokutomaru, but as you can see Im not to good making their hair (and anything else honestly)
#1064  September 23, 2021, 09:25:54 pm
    • USA
It takes time to hone that, sometimes I do really good sometimes I create dog shit.
you keep messing with it until it fits, using parts from other portraits to short cut your work is a good way to learn the style better, at least in my experience it has been this way.
I would not have been able to make many things from scratch without doing this, you are off to a good start, don't give up and its totally ok to go back and revise what you have done. I have done that with several portraits... Silver, terry, M. Bision etc... 
Sometimes, having a shot or four can get you started and then the sober mind pick up what you started in a day or two.

look at all the other ports available and see how what you can use from them and edit it from there. "frankin spriting" is barely considered taboo... only real elitists will give shit about it. I don't care if you use things I have made and edit them to get better at the style.
#1065  September 23, 2021, 10:11:15 pm
    • Argentina
yeah Im trying my best, and I use the other postraits as a base, I admit it, for example the Kevin Ryan one was the Yashiro portrait, and I use both Angel's head and Athena's shoulders to make Alice's portrait

I have experience drawing but I never tried pixelart, especially if it's a complex pixelart like those
#1066  September 23, 2021, 10:16:27 pm
    • USA
ill see if I can come up with something that should help you, there are certain consistencies that one can follow and just make these portraits.
when I do this, I'll edit this post and add it in...
you should know, im not an artist and have not taken any classes or anything, so ill do my best but the terms I may use to explain something might be fucked... i completely welcome correction.
#1067  September 23, 2021, 10:29:39 pm
    • Argentina
Thanks you, I'll ask for help when I need it.
#1068  September 24, 2021, 01:39:59 am
    • Italy
    • ulysselysse@yahoo.it

Strangely missing, Naruto is on the front page, but not Geese.
#1069  September 24, 2021, 02:08:10 am
    • Argentina
Well, I finished Bob Wilson, the dreadlocks was hard to make

#1070  September 24, 2021, 02:44:58 am
    • USA
ill see if I can come up with something that should help you, there are certain consistencies that one can follow and just make these portraits.
when I do this, I'll edit this post and add it in...
you should know, im not an artist and have not taken any classes or anything, so ill do my best but the terms I may use to explain something might be fucked... i completely welcome correction.

Ok so first thing is first, the best examples are going to be that of SNK's portraits... because its where the style came from.

they are all really good, however I am mostly going to focus on a few of them:

What you should notice is that the style itself is not that complex and that the features and details are actually quite simple, one thing to note also is that in almost all portraits the bridge of the nose is essentially never sprited/shaded because of the light source.

I want to also state once again, that I am basically a pleb that has no idea what he is fucking doing and that anyone with actual artistic knowledge correct me where I am wrong.

Within this box is the correct size of the portraits, if you place this box over your portraits you can copy what fits inside and paste it out and you will have the correct size:

In the style, the top of a character's head is virtually never shown as its usually cropped out, this was so it could fit in the menu in the game itself, there are a few exceptions like Clark but some of his hat is cropped instead..

this is where I understand the light source to be:

Since that helps determine shading, it is important to note that each color has 5 shades... typically.  There are cases where there are 4 and sometimes even 3 is used shades in the pal, so its good to stay within that guideline.

Its important to pay attention to some of your color's shades, some shades are used mostly to transition the more contrasting shades and are basically only used for that in the most part, these shades are typically the 2nd and 4th shades but mostly the 2nd shade, this logic applies to most colors no matter their textures; fabrics and other materials... metals has been a tough one because there is not a real good example. (this is more of a me problem)
look over this example and you'll see how the 2nd shade is often used:

expressions are almost never extreme or exaggerated, SNK really did like their proportions to stay realistic and at the time their portraits reflected that, simple smiles, frowns mostly work.
Shen and Ryuji I think have the most "extreme" expressions of all the characters in the in the original set.

I hope this helps a bit.

if anyone would like to help add to this or correct me where I am wrong, Please send me a PM on here or my discord "Melcore#9424"
I would like to have an instructional/tutorial added to the first page and it be an effective one.
Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 02:52:26 am by Melcore
#1071  September 24, 2021, 02:53:55 am
    • Argentina
Thanks you, Im glad you share this, I'll use it in my nexts portraits ^^
#1072  September 24, 2021, 11:42:50 am
    • Italy
    • ulysselysse@yahoo.it
Aoi Kusanagi

Artist: Blueblood2
#1073  September 25, 2021, 07:40:26 pm
    • Argentina
Here's the monkey boy Hokutomaru

#1074  September 30, 2021, 05:56:45 am
Why no one made custom portrait for Original Vega (Female Dictator)
#1075  October 02, 2021, 02:36:41 am
    • Argentina
Just a random Baedal

#1076  October 03, 2021, 01:47:12 am
    • Argentina
I did Sylvie Paula Paula, this was the hardest to do, she's a mess of colors, but I think it turned out okay
#1077  October 03, 2021, 02:57:17 am
    • USA
I did Sylvie Paula Paula, this was the hardest to do, she's a mess of colors, but I think it turned out okay

looks like you are heading in the right direction, big time, the ports you are making are improving.
keep it up, sir.
#1078  October 06, 2021, 10:33:23 am
    • Italy
    • ulysselysse@yahoo.it
What hair do you think I should use for Gorimaru Jr?
I am using Sagat as a base.
#1079  October 06, 2021, 08:38:36 pm
    • USA
joe higashi, bro.
#1080  October 12, 2021, 09:13:31 am
    • USA
so, been working on a few portraits for a couple of months.
Orochi Chris, Zayra, Choi, E. Honda, Ken and Lilith.

So the choi is an edit I did a while back.
E. Honda was also an edit but I overhauled many aspects of this portrait, Franqiho had made the first one.
Ken was created by vanny and I made some edits to it to make him look more like how I felt ken needed to look.
Made Zayra as a collab with her creator Zayro and he made me a zillion styled portrait for My OC.

the one who had the most work put into her is that Lilith, spent the most time on her compared to the other's, zayra was a close second.

what do you guys think?