YesNoOk

N.O.M.E.N. (mugen editor) (Read 12288 times)

Started by Nobun, November 22, 2011, 02:00:32 pm
Share this topic:
N.O.M.E.N. (mugen editor)
#1  November 22, 2011, 02:00:32 pm
  • Opensource Programmer
    • mugenrebirth.forumfree.it
Hi. As you probably know I am developing another mugen editing tool (inspired to mee) named NOMEN. This tool is more intendent as personal fun for myself and it is not a sign of rivality against Fighter Factory that is a very great tool made by professional people (also I want to remark that they are professional and skilled programmers, while I am a "fun" programmer so I cannot ensure that type of knowledge they have). So I will expect no one try to create a war (I am a fun myself of Fighter Factory and I appreciate so much the work around it and the people who work around it...).

After saying this preface I'd like to explain the reasons of this topic:

- Is it true that project development is (more or less) always blocked due to my personal problems and it is true I'd like to remain the only one developer of it (for a lot of reasons... I don't want to bother you), but I'd like to have some feedbacksb becouse I have no intention to completely abandone this work. Until now (also in elecbyte forum) I received almost no feedbacks nor opinions (except some very interesting points said by serio, who is credited for his contributions and serious beta-testing for the current release 0.1.1).
For example no bugs reported (except those ones I reported myself) and no points about usage and feeling (or other similar points

- I am currently still searching a volunteer for Mac Os X packaging (I have no a mac)... some times ago a person kindly contacted me but he didn't reply to my mail (where I reported him the global situation in order to give him all informations he need to decide if truely wants to help me or not)

- And perhaps other things I may forgotten.

I feel sorry if my answers can be slow, but I will read all things anyone wants to write. Thank to anyone that wants to contribute in any way.

For those ones who doesn't know it, I write the homepage of Nomen Project

http://nomeneditor.sourceforge.net

(I will omit the official Nomen Forum becouse it is an italian forum that treats about Mugen and I don't want to make an "unpolite" thing writing it here)
RETIRED FROM MUGEN WORLD.
All my creations (characters, stages, applications, etc) can be freely destributed and hosted anywhere without any limitation.

Developer of N.O.M.E.N. (Abandoned project).
Re: N.O.M.E.N. (mugen editor)
#2  November 22, 2011, 06:45:11 pm
    • Brazil
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100074220240917
This software has several languages?
#3  November 22, 2011, 09:28:11 pm
  • Opensource Programmer
For the moment it is developed only in English, but it is structured in order to have translations in a future.
But in this early stage I think it is too early to think about multi-language translations (seeing the fact a lot of things need to be developed). However I am open also on observations about this point

The real utility, for the moment (until FF3 will not out) is that Nomen supports both Sffv1 and Sffv2 and allow you to convert both Sffv1 in Sffv2 and vice-versa (currently Nomen can edit only Sff....
All my creations (characters, stages, applications, etc) can be freely destributed and hosted anywhere without any limitation.

Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 09:40:32 pm by Nobun
#4  November 23, 2011, 02:25:55 am
Can you edit a characters SFF without messing up its palettes? (Z CharCAD9 issue)
#5  November 23, 2011, 03:36:35 pm
  • Opensource Programmer
uhm... hard to reply in an absolute way... I am trying to explain the current situation about Sffv1 management (hoping this will answer your question).

In general Nomen tries to decode SffV1 in the most accurate way possible, trying to automaticly distringuish from Char-Sff and No-Char-Sff (like, for example fightfx.sff).

In this way Nomen can decode correctly both a fightfx.sff (unlike mee and mcm that usually have some problems on decoding those type of sff), a sff of a stage (or screenpack or fight bar) AND a sff of a character.

This is almost true, but there are some exceptions on char-sffs (sffv1).

1) There are extremely rare case (like a Dracula character reported to me by serio) that I found it is absolutely impossible to decode correctly in an ordinary way. This why a separated program (called "tricky sffv1 parser") is provided for those extremely rare cases. It is not a confortable program to use, but it should be very uncommon you really need it.
(in those exceptional case there are no other tools able to decode this type of sff correctly, including the amazing SffExtract, but it is not a fault of the other tools, it is related of the heavely strange way to memorize the sff.... until now only 1 character seems to have this problem)

2) There are more common cases where a character can be appear "weird" at start but that could be esasily fixable (I am working around this issue in order to improve it) -> so you can use Nomen directly without using the unconfortable "Tricky Sffv1 Parser"

------------
Speaking about 2nd case:

this happens when (rarely) a char doesn't have an individual 0,x image nor an individual 9000,0 image.
In this case the char can be loaded with some or a lot weird image. But those images can be fixed replacing palette values loading the original ACT file of the char (this happen becouse a wrong assignment of palette 1,1... I have an idea how to solve this thing and probably this will be "fixed" in version 0.1.2 - I don't know when it will come out).

in this case you have only to check what image(s) currently use palette 1,1 and temporary extract them
then delete them from sff
then change palette 1,1 loading an ACT file of the char
then finally re-add the image(s) you deleted before (loading them from extract snapshot directory)

(in the next 0.1.2 release, Nomen - when encountering this particular case - will ask you, before showing you the result, to select an ACT from the original char directory... but only in this case... in the remaining case the automated system will work correctly).

-------------------

however... if the sff appear "correctly" there should be no problem on saving in Sffv2 format (default) or Sffv1 format.
This also becouse, if you decide to save in Sffv1 format, Nomen will force a defined order of images in order to prevent reading problems (or bettere following a rule... except some rules, the rest of the images will be saved in the order decided by the user).
As serio reported this feature could be not so good if you are looking for a "more oriented user-made customization" (while Nomen tries to focus on semplicity trying to avoid that the final users need to know some complex "rules").
So, for example, the image 9000,0 will be saved as a first image (if you save in SffV1 format) regardless of the actual position in your Sff editing. (you will note it when trying to reload the saved sff).

This is instead not true in Sffv2 that doesn't need any "special rule" about image ordering (so when saving Sffv2 it will preserved the order you decided).

A final note: I cannot ensure how Nomen could react if you try to add an RGB image... it could crash or could behave in a strange way...... never tested. For the moment Mugen 1.1 is not supported and it is not a priority (also becouse it is still an alpha release and doesn't seem to be released quickly)

----

I hope I could answer completely to your question. If something is not clear, you can ask and I will try to be clearer.

#6  November 26, 2011, 12:57:49 am
  • I see you.
    • www.mugenfreeforall.com
um I have had Nomen for awhile now and I have to say if you want to pull the sffs from sff2 format this tool does it works like fight factory in that sense. its perfect for extracting the sprites out of sff2 characters.

You'll fix chuchoryu ? Sounds like a plan. How about you code him from scratch instead ?