YesNoOk

Jango's Famicom Demake Thread (Read 44261 times)

Started by Jango, December 08, 2014, 01:20:46 pm
Jango's Famicom Demake Thread
#1  December 08, 2014, 01:20:46 pm
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
You might've seen me tease a few screenshots in the MUGEN Screenshots thread, but since I'm now putting more effort into it and want to make it good, and hopefully get some feedback, I decided to start a thread on it.

So a few days ago, I was browsing the Five Nights at Freddy's wikia and wading through stupid shit about people's theories about the game, and I saw someone mention that it would be cool if the game had an 8-bit demake. Now most people associate 8-bit with PIXEL ART HIPSTER GAMES but I decided to take it one step further and attempt to follow the rules set by the NES/Famicom, and do it in a style reminiscent of shitty bootleg Famicom games from Hong Kong like Super Donkey Kong 2.

Spoiler: The Rules for NES/Famicom Coloring, correct me if I'm wrong with something (click to see content)
There are some rules I'm not following (ie: making sure I don't exceed either of the two sets of 256 tiles allowed, sprite memory limitations, etc) because that's just insanity, so if I do accidentally follow them, it's entirely accidental.

I decided to use the office from FNaF2 instead of FNaF1 because it has a visible floor that you can use for a MUGEN stage. The color variety in the original is pretty varied, so I had to make a lot of sacrifices. I didn't feel like tinting the walls would've looked scary, so I went with grayscale. I messed around with the brightness/contrast so that I could make the TVs pop out a bit more without messing up the shading on the walls, drew in some parts for the TVs that were just too obscured by shadow, and tried to tone down the shadows with some cross-hatching. I kept unique colors for the poster/drawings and the warning signs because I felt that their placement added nice accents. Total color count (including transparency) is 11 colors, so I'm safe for the BG layer.

NOW FOR THE SPRITES

To make things easier for myself, I decided to limit myself to three colors for either of the air vents, and nine for the hallway.

(NOTE: For the sake of making an easy visual reference, I'm considering the black parts of these images to be transparent as well. They're mostly here for my own benefit.)

Left Vent

Balloon Boy and Toy Chica. Balloon Boy was a pretty straight-forward conversion with very minor touch-ups (although I might go back and fix a few off pixels. Toy Chica, however, required flat-out redrawing lots of her, including her mouth, hair, and eyes.

As you can see, I attempted to do the hallway sprites (top picture, Bonnie and Foxy), but the results so far are all over the place. For example, I really love how Bonnie turned out there, but I'm going to need to do a LOT more work on Foxy (I'll probably just end up redrawing him entirely).

Anyway, anyway, any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 02:51:01 pm by Jango Hakamichi
Re: Project: Five Nights at Famicom's
#2  December 08, 2014, 02:53:09 pm
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
never add the chance to play the game yet but that look interesing will keep a eye on it
good luck
-STREET FIGHTER VI WAITING ROOM-
-DRAGON QUEST XII WAITING ROOM-
#3  December 09, 2014, 02:49:47 am
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
Now for the Right Vent!

Toy Bonnie and The Mangle. This proved to be infinitely more challenging than the Left Vent. I had to redraw quite a lot in order to get this to look right, and a big part was from me trying to make sure Toy Bonnie's palette looked different enough from Balloon Boy since I also chose blue for him. The Mangle was another tricky one and at one point I considered shading him pink (hence the blue transparency), but it took away from the scariness so I kept him grayscale.

So that takes care of the vents, Now for the fun (?) part: The Hallway.

EDIT: Also here's one that isn't in the game but I just wanted to try it out for shits and giggles. 10 points if you can guess what game it's from.

Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 04:28:12 am by Jango Hakamichi
#4  December 09, 2014, 05:15:30 am
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
Alright, attempted Foxy/Bonnie again.

Foxy's head is still probably too bright but at least he doesn't look as shitty as his first attempt. I kinda-sorta cheated by working with Foxy's pose when he's alone in the hallway. All together, this is 8 colors (Bonnie's eye shares colors with the highlights on Foxy's body, and Foxy teeth share colors with Bonnie's belly).

I have to say, it's a LOT harder to downgrade the hallway graphics because the flashlight is super-imposed over the images, but I'm getting there!
#5  December 09, 2014, 08:14:46 am
  • Helpful Hermit
    • USA
I don't usually give mindless praise, but this looks fucking amazing. If you ever wanted to do more stages like this, I'd be interested in helping. Holy fuckballs this is great.

EDIT:
Upon further inspection, you could use the lightest yellow color hue for the light in the center above the hall. It looks too flat(even for 8-bit) in my opinion. But I'd need to see it changed before I'd say if it worked or not.
If you require my assistance, please feel free to contact me on Discord: 2DMirage#5299
Commissions/Requests are closed. Please do not ask.
Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 08:18:38 am by Hoshi
#6  December 09, 2014, 02:55:57 pm
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
nice work on the vents cant wait to see more
#7  December 10, 2014, 05:50:45 am
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA

This was my quickie attempt at adding the light colors in (really it's all just recycled from the papers on the wall lol). I dunno if this is what Hoshi meant, but I'll admit it adds a nice accent so I might end up keeping it.

Also I made another animatronic. The only thing? It never appeared in the Hallway in the original game; it only appeared RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU.

Scaled for easier comparison. Here's the original at full resolution

I put Chica in the hallway because otherwise, she would never appear at all, which is a shame because she's one of my favorite old animatronics in FNaF2. I actually had one more color I could've messed around with, so I was going to try make the red wires coming out of her arms, but it didn't work out as well as I thought it would, so I just kept it simple and stuck to my existing palette.

JUST AS AN ASIDE, I know multiple animatronics show up in both the hallway and the vents, but I think it would probably be for the best if I didn't do every possible thing that appears in the hallway (otherwise we'd have a Foxy overload). So if I cut out all the duplicates, that just leaves me with the three Freddy variants (Old, Toy, and Golden). That seems a little unvaried and while it would go against what happens in the game, I might throw in The Puppet for some variety.

After that, I'll probably throw in some of the easter eggs like Shadow Bonnie or Paper Balloon Boy

EDIT: Touched up Chica some more.
Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 06:54:44 am by Jango Hakamichi
#8  December 11, 2014, 12:48:20 am
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls, I have one question for you:

ARE YOU READY FOR FREDDY?!

Toy Freddy

Old Freddy

Golden Freddy

So you're probably wondering why I'm using the office poses instead of their Hallway ones. Two reasons: One, their poses are more dynamic in the office. Two, it's easier to work with the lighting. Oh and I guess to add a third reason, Golden Freddy's hallway pose is just a giant disembodied head because of the nature of his character (I won't say more than that since it treads into spoiler territory).

Golden Freddy was the easiest to make, and all I did was adjust the palette and fix up his teeth a little. Old Freddy was cropped off in his original pose, so I actually had to add in an ear and his tophat (I sprited it myself, figuring that highlights would give off the illusion of it being there). Toy Freddy was also kinda cropped off, but only at the feet so I just BS'ed a fadeout down there (I also drew his legs entirely from scratch!)

So since I'm almost done, I guess I'll share some notes that I learned while making these.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

With that, now it's just touching shit up (starting with Foxy and Chica). Afterwards, maybe I'll throw in some non-canon animatronics, and maybe even try demake the first Five Nights at Freddy's. Who knows?
Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 12:52:13 am by Jango Hakamichi
#9  December 11, 2014, 12:52:11 am
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
nice loving really the progress so far cant wait to see it in action
#10  December 11, 2014, 01:03:03 am
  • StormEX
  • | Content Creator | Gamer | Programmer |
    • USA
    • Twitch.tv/ZayOsirisGaming
Markiplier, & piewdiepie would be proud! Best of luck to you. :)
#11  December 11, 2014, 01:12:35 am
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
Markiplier, & PewDiePie would be proud! Best of luck to you. :)

I second this. Also, fixed ;D
This stage retains all the fear factors from FnAF2, IMO. I swear, its still as creepy looking as the original (which is good, I think)?
I wonder if Markiplier would ever try out M.U.G.E.N though. He'd probably download this stage in a heartbeat :laugh:
Anways, good luck Jango!

P.S. I couldn't figure out who the green-lookin character was in one of Jango's posts. Anybody discover who he is yet??
This is a generic forum signature.
#12  December 11, 2014, 02:28:35 am
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
Markiplier, & piewdiepie would be proud! Best of luck to you. :)
I think if Markiplier liked it, that would be all sorts of cool, especially since my kid brother is a huge fan of his. He'd be like "Woah Markiplier likes your stage!" Although I don't think Mark would touch MUGEN unless someone linked him to The Black Heart or something. Someone please do that.

This stage retains all the fear factors from FnAF2, IMO. I swear, its still as creepy looking as the original (which is good, I think)?
I think a big factor of it is the NES' limitations. Video games today are getting more and more vivid and lifelike, but what you see is what you get. I feel that NES game graphics tend to be more based on "concept" rather than trying to make something look realistic. It gives you a representation of what it's supposed to be, and your own imagination fills in the blanks. Sweet Home is a prime example of this, and I think anyone playing it would get at least somewhat creeped out early on.

I think that idea also applies to Five Nights at Freddy's (the first one), because a lot of the horror from that game came from your mind filling in the blanks as to what was going on, like hearing Chica eating in the kitchen or Freddy laughing whenever he changes rooms, or even just looking at the darkened doorways knowing that at any given moment, something could stick its head through the door.

tl;dr it probably works because the way NES graphics compliment the mood that FNaF sets.

P.S. I couldn't figure out who the green-lookin character was in one of Jango's posts. Anybody discover who he is yet??
You might be surprised
#13  December 11, 2014, 02:32:39 am
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
lol never thought it be that turtle I think that pretty much every character from diddy kong racing would work or a fulgore animatronic could also be pretty cool
#14  December 11, 2014, 03:00:39 am
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
I think a big factor of it is the NES' limitations. Video games today are getting more and more vivid and lifelike, but what you see is what you get. I feel that NES game graphics tend to be more based on "concept" rather than trying to make something look realistic. It gives you a representation of what it's supposed to be, and your own imagination fills in the blanks. Sweet Home is a prime example of this, and I think anyone playing it would get at least somewhat creeped out early on.

I think that idea also applies to Five Nights at Freddy's (the first one), because a lot of the horror from that game came from your mind filling in the blanks as to what was going on, like hearing Chica eating in the kitchen or Freddy laughing whenever he changes rooms, or even just looking at the darkened doorways knowing that at any given moment, something could stick its head through the door.

tl;dr it probably works because the way NES graphics compliment the mood that FNaF sets.

Oh yeah, Sweet Home is the best example. Even looking at the gameplay on Let's Play vids woudl creep the shit outta me. You basically just summed it up, my friend

You might be surprised

*In muyskerm's voice

Oh hot-damn! Hahaha! :laugh:
That's actually not a bad idea, man!
This is a generic forum signature.
#15  December 11, 2014, 05:24:13 am
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
So me being the silly buggerboo that I am, as I was putting the images into the SFF I noticed that I made Freddy too tall :( . I had to shrink him down by 10%. The difference isn't too big, although I had to take some time (about 10-15 minutes) to redraw some bits that didn't get downgraded too well.

Also after doing some tests, it looks like I'll probably end up doing the Golden Freddy Head in the hallway after all (although I'll probably hang onto the Golden Freddy I have to make some rare appearances in the office since he's big enough for it)
#16  December 11, 2014, 06:05:05 am
  • Helpful Hermit
    • USA
If you require my assistance, please feel free to contact me on Discord: 2DMirage#5299
Commissions/Requests are closed. Please do not ask.
#17  December 11, 2014, 09:12:15 am
  • Master Relic Tech
  • Screenpack Maker EX
Nice touch Hoshi, that bear reminds me, of a regular show episode.lol
#18  December 13, 2014, 03:41:59 am
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
Hallway Golden Freddy completed

Like the others, I didn't use the Hallway renders, but to be honest, it's not that different. My source was instead his really shitty killscreen.

And on a related note, QUICK, TO THE FREDDYMOBILE!
#19  December 13, 2014, 03:59:37 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
did you make that? thats pretty great
#20  December 13, 2014, 08:43:07 am
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
The .gif? Nah, it's a common .gif joke about FNaF2 having really shitty kill animations, the worst one being Golden Freddy's disembodied head flying straight at you but otherwise with no animation at all.