Started by Magma MK-II, December 06, 2018, 01:30:24 pm
Share this topic:
Re: KoF XV
#2161  May 19, 2022, 06:51:52 am
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
  • Ambassador of MugenRevival
    • South Korea
    • sites.google.com/view/kolossoni-mugen
According to SteamDB, the next DLC team is AWAKENED OROCHI team AKA Orochi team.
People are worried that they'll have to pay full price for simple reskins/recolors of existing characters.
#2162  May 19, 2022, 09:49:13 am
People are fucking stupid.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#2163  May 19, 2022, 07:42:18 pm
    • Brazil
    • chng.it/QbGdS8rbnh
Right now for me, it's actually not bad at all seeing the Awakened Orochi Team finally getting the proper treatment as playable characters again.

It's just that this means it will take soooo muuuuuch more time until we see more actual new faces being revealed to the public... :[
#2164  May 19, 2022, 07:45:02 pm
The DLC picks are so underwhelming that they killed my interest for the game, as someone that double dipped Samurai Shodown
#2165  May 19, 2022, 08:05:28 pm
    • Brazil
    • chng.it/QbGdS8rbnh
God, how I wish this Team SamSho rumor actually turns out to be false, at least for now. As much as the last game and the series as a whole is cool, there are just so many SNK franchises left, in my opinion, that should've been already integrated at this point into KOF, before we consider the teams who need some time-traveling/descendant excuses merely just to fit into KOF's logic... ¬¬

...That is, unless they go the "Goddess Athena to Athena Asamiya" route, and make a team with pretty much new characters, design & moveset wise, and just make them carry the name/legacy of their respective ancestors or something. That would be hella cool - almost too good to become true again, actually.
Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 11:13:45 pm by NDSilva
#2166  May 19, 2022, 10:00:34 pm
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
    • South Korea
I mean, I think it's fine.
Sure, the models are being reused, but the animations will be different and with things costing so high nowadays, it'll be foolish to compare smth like KOF'97 with KOF XV in regards to budget issues.

On the topic of SamSho, SNK always intended to put SamSho characters (Nakoruru at least) in KOF since the very first game. So I think it's pretty normal to see them finally transition into KOF. But yeah, I would also like to see characters from Metal Slug, Last Blade and more SNK titles other than Fatal Fury, AoF and SamSho for a change.
#2167  May 20, 2022, 12:22:22 am
I don't think it's fine compared with the modern SNK titles:  KoF XIV had all new characters for DLC, SNK Heroines had 3/4 new characters for DLC (the returning one was still dramatically changed), Samurai Shodown had all new characters for DLC.

XV has 10/12 characters adapted from already released titles that adding up make the price of a full game.
#2168  May 20, 2022, 12:55:52 am
  • I want to learn, no criticize
    • Dominica
    • yaretromero@hotmail.com
I guess 1 or two characters from guilty gear will drop
#2169  May 20, 2022, 02:54:12 am
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
    • South Korea
I don't think it's fine compared with the modern SNK titles:  KoF XIV had all new characters for DLC, SNK Heroines had 3/4 new characters for DLC (the returning one was still dramatically changed), Samurai Shodown had all new characters for DLC.

XV has 10/12 characters adapted from already released titles that adding up make the price of a full game.

You've got a point, but KOF XIV was absolutely terrible looking compared to XV. They even said that they were going for quantity over quality for XIV.

XIII also reused a lot of assets from XII (Vice, Clark, Hwa Jai, Saiki and Mr. Karate were all head swaps) but people didn't seem to mind as the game itself was solid.
#2170  May 20, 2022, 07:04:12 am
    • Brazil
    • chng.it/QbGdS8rbnh
XIII also reused a lot of assets from XII (Vice, Clark, Hwa Jai, Saiki and Mr. Karate were all head swaps) but people didn't seem to mind as the game itself was solid.

But that's because XIII was always meant to be, almost literally, the relplacement and finished version of XII. SNK even went as far as removing XII from online stores after the release of XIII.

XII isn't a reliable reference point for anything nowadays, really; A better argument would be the 3 DLCs from KoFXIII, which were all alternate versions of characters from the base roster.
Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 09:34:40 am by NDSilva
#2171  May 20, 2022, 10:32:10 am
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
    • South Korea
But that's because XIII was always meant to be, almost literally, the relplacement and finished version of XII. SNK even went as far as removing XII from online stores after the release of XIII.

XII was an experimental take on the series heading for a new direction at the time (converting to HD sprites). XIV was the same but was heading towards the 3D genre.

XIII and XV both use assets from previous experimental games so I don't see why people are up and arms about the Orochi team being DLC. Heck, KOF'02UM was tagged at full price when they only replaced a single character: K9999 with Nameless and people went ape shit over him for being cool despite being a literal head swap.

But all of a sudden in 2022, people are getting mad about XV for "reusing old assets and making them pay money for it" when they've been doing it for over a decade now.
#2172  May 20, 2022, 10:58:18 am
    • USA
God, how I wish this Team SamSho rumor actually turns out to be false, at least for now. As much as the last game and the series as a whole is cool, there are just so many SNK franchises left, in my opinion, that should've been already integrated at this point into KOF, before we consider the teams who need some time-traveling/descendant excuses merely just to fit into KOF's logic... ¬¬

...That is, unless they go the "Goddess Athena to Athena Asamiya" route, and make a team with pretty much new characters, design & moveset wise, and just make them carry the name/legacy of their respective ancestors or something. That would be hella cool - almost too good to become true again, actually.

That's actually a pretty cool idea. It would be cool to see a reincarnated Nakoruru and the descendents of Garfield and Hakmaru in a team. You could even continue the love story that Nakoruru and Garfield had in Garfield's ending in Samurai Shodown 2.
"If you take three glasses of water and put food coloring in them, you have many different colors, but it's still the same old water. Make the connection."
Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 11:22:26 am by Little Fox: Tres Truenos
#2173  May 20, 2022, 12:15:07 pm

XII was an experimental take on the series heading for a new direction at the time (converting to HD sprites). XIV was the same but was heading towards the 3D genre.

XIII and XV both use assets from previous experimental games so I don't see why people are up and arms about the Orochi team being DLC. Heck, KOF'02UM was tagged at full price when they only replaced a single character: K9999 with Nameless and people went ape shit over him for being cool despite being a literal head swap.

But all of a sudden in 2022, people are getting mad about XV for "reusing old assets and making them pay money for it" when they've been doing it for over a decade now.

The main difference is that 2002 UM was a game revision from the start and it was one and done with the initial purchase.
KoF XV already reused a lot in the main game and then have a bunch of rehashed characters on top of it that doubles the price of the original game, Orochi team is just the scapegoat because they are essentially alternate versions of characters that are already in. I personally only got the Garou team (would prefer Grant or Kevin Rian instead of Rock tho) and will be passing on the three remaining teams until they are discounted.
#2174  May 20, 2022, 05:22:43 pm
    • Brazil
    • chng.it/QbGdS8rbnh

Yup, they only replaced a single character. And ported all other characters to a new engine. And then included literally every previous fighter from the games of that saga, along with their variations. And rebalanced the entire cast, adding the moves they had previously + some brand new stuff too. And changed the music, menus, stages, the arcade mode... And added some new game modes along with it.

Do you actually think a full-game price tag isn't justifiable in this case?
Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 09:39:18 pm by NDSilva
#2175  May 20, 2022, 09:54:54 pm
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
    • South Korea
  • XV ported all characters to URE4 from their in house engine used for XIV.
  • XV had to remodel and redesign every character while 02UM literally imported the same old sprites they used for over 20 years.
  • XV introduced Dolores, Isla, Krohnen, Yashiro, Chris, Chizuru, Ash, Elisabeth and Rugal (only counting free characters that come with the base game) as complete new assets to the game never seen before, while 02UM only added Nameless who happens to share 80% of K9999's assets.
  • XV also rebalanced tons of moves and even added some that weren't in XIV.
  • XV also changed music, menus, stages and arcade mode + introduced a new boss challenge mode never seen in a KOF game.

XV literally checks every single box 02UM did.

And as far as I'm concerned, if 02UM deserves a full price tag for doing just that, XV is worth every penny also.
#2176  May 20, 2022, 11:29:31 pm
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
    • South Korea
#2177  May 20, 2022, 11:33:52 pm
    • Brazil
    • chng.it/QbGdS8rbnh
Lol, sorry! :tongue3: I ended up deleting my previous post to structurate it a little more. I feel like a dummy now :P

Correct, I guess. Even if this new content line-up looks a little more questionable than the previous, "traditional" games.

It's settled, then. Let's call this game "KoFXIV UM" from now onwards. :pleased:
Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 11:44:44 pm by NDSilva
#2178  May 22, 2022, 05:42:36 pm
Its because the new characters in 14 wasnt as popular as they thought will be. So now they are playing safe. But i do wish to see more old characters in 15.
#2179  June 10, 2022, 08:03:39 pm
  • Spoiler
  • let's bring order to chaos
    • Mexico
    • none
New patch released, mostly fixes some bugs or unintended behavior.

Sound coming from the controller is disabled for now until an issue involving it can be resolved.

Seems like input lag has been decreased, can't confirm.
            Zorf Giudecca
#2180  June 10, 2022, 09:45:26 pm
  • I want to learn, no criticize
    • Dominica
    • yaretromero@hotmail.com