YesNoOk

State is no longer playing when called by a command. (Read 15397 times)

Started by MarioManX1983, August 03, 2022, 03:21:57 pm
Share this topic:
State is no longer playing when called by a command.
#1  August 03, 2022, 03:21:57 pm
  • Expert Noob
  • I am a lover and a fighter!
    • USA
I recently started having a very weird problem.

I have been practicing making a character in the latest version of Fighter Factory Studio and until a few weeks ago, all states would play/activate like they should during testing when called by a command. But now, the states for the "super" moves all of a sudden stopped working.

Like I will do the command for a super move and all the character does is start walking in place until I press another button.

I have looked over everything I can think of. The entire coding of the states, the coding of the command used, checked over ALL of the coding in all cns and st files to make sure nothing else was trying to call the same state or that no other state was also numbered the same. Everything I can think of but no luck.

Has anyone ever encountered this before? And does anyone have any clue as to how to fix it?
May you always win every round, both in MUGEN and Life. :)
Re: State is no longer playing when called by a command.
#2  August 03, 2022, 04:01:05 pm
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
  • Ambassador of MugenRevival
    • South Korea
    • sites.google.com/view/kolossoni-mugen
You need to turn on debug mode and check all the designated states are being used.

Go to Mugen.cfg, find the Debug mode section and change the boolean value from 0 to 1 (if not already).
Once you turn the game on, you'll see small writings all over the game. That means the debug mode is on. Next, play the char and check the bottom left and see what "state" they're currently in. If the state is okay, but the char is not changing, that means there's smth wrong with the animation.

Whatever the case, checking the debug stats can drastically help you with your char making.
#3  August 04, 2022, 03:32:22 pm
  • Expert Noob
    • USA
I looked over the debug text and saw something I hadn't before. (Forgot about the top row of text) It's saying that the character is entering an invalid state 2000 from state 2000. I looked over the entire state 2000 coding and there is NOTHING there that would switch the character into the same state.

The only thing that even comes close is the ChangeState at the end that takes the character back to the standing state after the animation is done. (Just in case, I have not altered the stand state in any way.)

Also, debug is also saying that the character is in state 2000 but the character is playing animation 20. (Walking Forward) And not doing anything else. I have not altered the walking states in any way.
#4  August 04, 2022, 10:18:20 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
If a character goes into an invalid state, it loops the current anim.

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#5  August 05, 2022, 01:59:07 pm
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
Comment out the changestate and see what changes.
Sometimes when stuff like this happens it's the changestate's fault. You wont notice it but the changestate will be able to fire off on tic 0 or of the changestate.

Make sure the anim that youre using for the state is there and working. Sometimes you'll be so used to seeing 2000 a 200 or 20000 will slip by unnoticed but mugen will pick up the error and run with it.
vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv
#6  August 05, 2022, 11:03:39 pm
  • Expert Noob
    • USA
Commented out the only changestate at the end of the state. Anim is there and working. State is pointing to correct anim. And command that calls the state has only one trigger. (The actual command)

Still the same.

Debug Text
========
Warning Player in State 2000: Changed to Invalid State 2000 (From State 2000)

So, the character entered the state, then somehow changed to that same state (even though there is no changestate) only now its invalid? What the heck?

Another thing that I forgot mention. It's only saying that all the super/hyper move states are invalid. All the normal special moves work just fine.
Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 11:49:55 pm by MarioManX1983
#7  August 06, 2022, 12:42:59 am
At this stage you might need to post the code for state 2000 along with the changestate block in the .cmd file. maybe someone'll pick up something that you overlooked, if any.
#8  August 06, 2022, 02:28:25 am
  • Expert Noob
    • USA
FINALLY discovered the cause!

It was in the .def file. Two of the .st file indicators were numbered the same.

Example.
Instead of this.
Code:
[Files]
cmd = Commands.cmd ;Commands
cns = Constants.cns ;Constants
st = Constants.cns ;Common States (Required even though it is the same file as cns.)
stcommon = common1.cns ;Common States (From Mugen's data/ or motif folder.) (Required.)
; There can be a total of 9 extra states (st1 through st9).
; Having these extra state files can help you stay organized.
st1 = Specials.st ;Special Moves.
st2 = Ex_Specials.st ;Ex Special Moves.
st3 = Supers.st ;Super Moves.
st4 = Ultras.st ;Ultra Moves.
st5 = Helpers.st ;Any "Helpers" the character may have.
st6 = Notes.st ;Variouse notes. Can be deleted when finishing character.
sprite = Sprites.sff ;Sprites
anim = Animations.air ;Animations
sound = Sounds.snd ;Sounds

It was instead this!
Code:
[Files]
cmd = Commands.cmd ;Commands
cns = Constants.cns ;Constants
st = Constants.cns ;Common States (Required even though it is the same file as cns.)
stcommon = common1.cns ;Common States (From Mugen's data/ or motif folder.) (Required.)
; There can be a total of 9 extra states (st1 through st9).
; Having these extra state files can help you stay organized.
st1 = Specials.st ;Special Moves.
st2 = Ex_Specials.st ;Ex Special Moves.     <- Notice that these two are numbered the same!
st2 = Supers.st ;Super Moves.  <- Notice that these two are numbered the same!
st3 = Ultras.st ;Ultra Moves.
st4 = Helpers.st ;Any "Helpers" the character may have.
st5 = Notes.st ;Variouse notes. Can be deleted when finishing character.
sprite = Sprites.sff ;Sprites
anim = Animations.air ;Animations
sound = Sounds.snd ;Sounds