YesNoOk

Air-dashing strategies  (Read 23945 times)

Started by Loona, March 23, 2004, 06:22:16 am
Share this topic:
Air-dashing strategies
New #1  March 23, 2004, 06:22:16 am
  • Nothing ever ends
    • Portugal
    • www.justnopoint.com/loona
Since I've added the air dashing feature to a WIP of mine and I'm considering some follow-up possibilities to it, I figured it might be a good idea to check on how people use that kind of movement in games/characters that have it, both offensively and defensively.

I admit I usually don't use it that often (never played the Guilty Gear games, but for some periods of time I've used at least a couple of Versus series characters with that movement), so I can't say I've developed major strategies around it.

One case where I found air-dashing rather useful was with Morrigan in MvC: after abusing her aerial projectiles for some time and getting myself almost stuck in a corner doing that, possibly becoming vulnerable to attacks like Shoryukens, I've developed the habit of air-dashing right after using one of those projectiles - not only did that get me out of a possibly dangerous spot, at some point of my post-dash fall I'd actually catch up with the projectile and be sorrounded by it for a few moments.

In that case, while actualy reaching the ground after the projectile wasn't partcularly important, it added to the protection I got/felt as I used that movement.

On a sidenote, I never completely understood why Rogue, who's capable of flying in the X-Men comics, was given air-dashing in XvSF instead of flight, which other characters like Storm got - can anyone think of a convincing motive for that?... I don't see how that could have made her overpowered in any manner, but perhaps I didn't play that game enough against opponents who knew what they were doing...

Your thoughts/tactics/stories?...
Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 03:32:08 am by Loona
Re:Air-dashing strategies
#2  March 23, 2004, 06:35:40 am
  • GFX Phantasia.
The Air-Dash concept is a double-edged sword depending on how you use it. In GGX, it is abused constantly by combo machines like Chipp Zanuff, Ky Kiske, etc.

In MVC, I use it with certain characters for offensive and defensive, especially Magento since his air dash in in all eight directions. He can be quick to get in and out.

Only certain characters have it in Darkstalkers 3, like Hsein-Ko/ Lei-Lei, Lord Raptoe/Zabel and Huitzil/Phobos and I use Huitzil's for offense, Hsein-Ko's for escape tactics and Raptor's for both.
#3  March 23, 2004, 07:42:20 am
  • Tends to lose track of things a lot. :/
    • www.mugenguild.com/~winane/
Great for avoiding projectiles that would be too difficult to jump over with just a regular jump.  And when combined with a super jump or air jump (as it usually is), it allows for even more time to hang out above any horizontal barrage being delivered below, or simply moving to the other side of the opponent delivering said uni-directional barrage.
Still quite busy.

(Yes, I intend to deal with that stuff eventually, but kinda can't just yet, sorry. :/ )
#4  March 23, 2004, 07:54:17 am
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
Supporting Winane's post:
Characters with no super jump + air dash in GGXX = dead against Justice's Gamma Ray and I-no's Megalomania
#5  March 23, 2004, 02:50:06 pm
  • In after lock
    • mugenguild.com/~messatsu/index.html
Special/super canceling from an air-dash = rocks. :guitarist:

Many people risk their lives everyday by having Mugen.
#6  March 23, 2004, 03:38:41 pm
  • I stand alone.
    • UK
    • hyperionx.net
To ... Escape ... ?

My GGXX #Reload style of playing with Sol is :

Run --> Jump --> Forward Dash --> Attempt Combo

IF: blocked then --> jump back, air dash back, and repeat

Then Gunflame far away. If 25% tension or more, False Roman Cancel (Blue) and dash forward. If hit, jump, airdash [if needed] in and begin combo.

Also, use it after recovery to avoid further comboing from enemy.

Justice's triple air dash can be abused. I hit a lot of my friends simply by air dashing back twice then suddenly dashing forward again and land a high slash, then combo/super whatever.

I find it useful for surprise attacks too. As air dashes happen instantly nearly.

Don't PM me. =(
(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)
#7  March 24, 2004, 06:20:14 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
kof player spam here:

still, when i used to play vs games, i had a very low level :P .

now i think they can also be used for crossovers, though.
#8  March 24, 2004, 06:40:52 am
  • GFX Phantasia.
#9  March 24, 2004, 10:04:05 am
Air dash for crossover I guess he means, since it's what he wrote... Jump over a Zangief by air dashing and get him from behind in the middle of his attack.
I use air-dashing for attack more than defense, for which I can roll anyway. *Same as LadyKiki and Messatsu.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#10  March 25, 2004, 02:04:52 am
  • Silence is golden. So go platinum.
    • addham2it.com
Well, I like to use air-dashes for a quick cross-over. It works great for Chun Li and Rogue in MvsC2. As for Rogue not being able to fly but having an air dash.... she only has the forward dash. If she had the 8 way dash and flight, she'd be even cheaper. Besides, Storm and Magneto (and Dhalsim?) are enough. Another thing to think about is an air forward hop, like Blackheard has.
Bailan en la playa!
#11  March 29, 2004, 02:17:07 am
  • Nothing ever ends
    • Portugal
    • www.justnopoint.com/loona
As for Rogue, the only way I see her use of flight being cheap would be after using Power Drain on Gouki, which would allow her to constantly use aerial projectiles while airborne - seeing as she lacks projectiles by default (before PD'ing an projectile-using opponent) in a game where they can be som important, I don't see her as cheap... but then again, like I said above, I haven't played XvSF against Rogue players who really knew what they were doing.

I too have considered the possibility of making my character turn as it air-dashes, but my first attempt didn't work out too well - as I enjoy using Simul mode, finding the right triggers that'll make a feature like that work all the time might be rather tricky... making him turn as he falls from the air-dash my be a possibility though...

I've been considering the possibility of using air-dashes as a way to enter a flight state, so this thread is a sort of quest for pros and cons of that option, although some special cases can come from that - as apparently air-dashes can be used on the offense to start combos, perhaps turning off the flight variable if an attack is performed from an air-dash (at least below a certain height...).
#12  March 29, 2004, 02:54:18 am
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
The usual F+2P and B+2P is better. (Every Magneto and Storm user abuse that feature, tapping a direction might screw up their timming for the combos)
#13  March 29, 2004, 03:20:32 am
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
You can't throw during the dash state...so that would't be a major issue.
Plus, it's easier to press 2P during a combo (pressing start would waste more time..just a little, and again, you screw up with the timming..or maybe that's just me)
Re: Air-dashing strategies
#14  August 26, 2004, 05:06:38 pm
i love air dashing with morrigan inn mvc2....very effective if dine right...first u need a good backup character like shuma and call him out around the time u jump...air dash quickly and chain into many different combos(includin super).....if u could only see how i do it...never been beaten....but thats not alll u can since ure comin from the air ure opponent cant block low so u land very quicly and do a low kick(light or hard depending on what u wanna do)if blocked u quickly jump air dash to light attack and u will alraedy be on the ground ...u have to be really quick and do a lot of things....as i said if u seen me ude understand...its hard to explain here if iforgot to explain sumthin tell me and ill try and expand upon it