YesNoOk

Characters that are "Private" (Read 44577 times)

Started by aznpikachu215, September 27, 2016, 08:37:03 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Characters that are "Private"
#41  September 28, 2016, 11:41:04 am
  • NvP!
after that everything should be made public!
Wow no. Fuck you. Why "should" anyone make their stuff public. (unless you mean everything *you* did should become public in which case sorry, but if that's what you meant then please double check your wording)
Yea i was talking about my stuff actually calm down :D

Unless it's a temporary private work until a finished fullgame is out, I really can't understand also.

Exactly, anything other than that really stops mugen in term of evolving and stuff because people dont like to share codes
I am one of those but only because im working on my fullgame, after that everything should be made public!

You know what actually stops Mugen from evolving?  Elecbyte going into hiding with no updates on their engine.
Just admit that you don't care about any of this evolving nonsense and that you just want to build a collection.

jup that too but we all know that elecbyte wont do shit, we need someone to hack the engine and release an open source version of it ..
#42  September 28, 2016, 11:49:02 am
  • Estoy siempre listo para un desafío.
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com

jup that too but we all know that elecbyte wont do shit, we need someone to hack the engine and release an open source version of it ..

Isn't that what ikemen is? A hack of mugen? But yea someone needs to hack that bitch make it open source,
Cut out elecbyte...
#43  September 28, 2016, 11:57:16 am
I'm pretty sure Ikemen is a clone through reverse engineering in the sense that someone just went and coded everything he could think of that had a result close enough to Mugen itself. It's not actually a hack using any of the code from Mugen.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#44  September 28, 2016, 12:59:07 pm
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
On the main topic at hand...

I mirror most of other people's statements. Typically, when I do not release something and keep it private, it is because it is unfinished or in one way, shape, or form unfit to be released. I do not want to constantly release poor samples of my work. I want to showcase whole and complete pieces of work.

Other than that, another reason would be because the characters are edits of previous characters that I have made to suit my tastes and my tastes only. It would be a disservice to release them.

And you will not see me flaunt these private characters at all. All of the screenshots from me are done with publicly available characters.
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
#45  September 28, 2016, 04:25:31 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
but there falls the sweet spot, why should you actively avoid showing stuff just because you are not going to make a public release of it?
#46  September 28, 2016, 04:46:42 pm
    • USA
    • twitter.com/inktrebuchet
I'm surprised this thread is going so long.

Not a popular opinion I see, but I really like seeing previews or teasers of private characters that I know I will probably never have. I enjoy imagining all the cool stuff that they probably don't actually have in them. If anything I think they probably help evolve others creations because they cause our imaginations to run wild. Plus weird, exclusive, rare stuff is always cool to dream about obtaining.

Threads like this is just more motivation for people to make private characters in my opinion. It's probably fun watching people squirm over it, especially people who don't contribute but feel entitled to all MUGEN creations.
#47  September 28, 2016, 06:45:16 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
make it open source

The problem with that is that nobody will have the same version of MUGEN, where some content may require users to install new plugins in order for it to work, which isn't quite the same as simply downloading a newer version of the engine, especially when the nature of MUGEN is effectively 'plug and play'; then you may have plugins that conflict with each other, so perhaps you'd need one plugin to run one character, but having it breaks compatibility with another character.

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#48  September 28, 2016, 07:07:26 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico

considering that after 17 years we have not seetled for a standar on transforming characters, I think you can't be more right.

Not a popular opinion I see, but I really like seeing previews or teasers of private characters that I know I will probably never have. I enjoy imagining all the cool stuff that they probably don't actually have in them. If anything I think they probably help evolve others creations because they cause our imaginations to run wild. Plus weird, exclusive, rare stuff is always cool to dream about obtaining.

like hotaryun, thanks to that one we got zero hotaru and a bunch of other crazy edits, you can say that it started the good edited characters craze, along with kyo-3 and evil ken.

for the ones that have not been there for 10+ years hotaryun "was" a japanese mugen character from the testp times, not even guild or even dev eixisted back then. Actually, the onl proof of her existing was a japanese "blog" post (blgos did not really exist back then ),  with 4-8 screenshot of hotaryun, A) having a text intro , B doing her sdm to rock howard while dropping her pants, going riot of the blood, stopping time and throwing knives., amongst other pictures (I might ahve the in y photobucket, will check later)

The character could have been really bad, with poorly coded versions of the stolen moves, but since it was never leaked, creators could not help but imagine that the moves present there worked in a perfectly accurate way, that the riot of the blood was actually a full transformation, taht it had even more cool moves, etc...

Threads like this is just more motivation for people to make private characters in my opinion. It's probably fun watching people squirm over it, especially people who don't contribute but feel entitled to all MUGEN creations.
good post.

#49  September 28, 2016, 07:50:26 pm
  • Ore no kobushi ga MAKANI MOERO!
    • USA
    • www.facebook.com/aznpikachu215

There are different ways to contributing, isn't there? Not just creating, if showcasing the creator's character, that's contributing, isn't it?
#50  September 28, 2016, 08:05:16 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Showcasing? Like making videos of characters for YouTube? I wouldn't really count that as contributing much myself.
#51  September 28, 2016, 08:35:35 pm
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
Contributing would be like ripping sprites/sounds, writing code, giving feedback/bug reports that's more than "nice char +1."

Now if you gave a review in a video and demonstrated bugs or things you felt could be improved, I would personally consider that "contributing." But if it's just a normal CPU match, the only thing that will contribute is popularity (good or bad), which might be nice (or not), but it doesn't help a creator improve the quality of his/her work.
Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 08:44:07 pm by J.A.N.G.O.
#52  September 28, 2016, 09:25:30 pm
  • Don't copy code if you don't understand it.
    • USA
    • a13rown@hotmail.com
In regards to "private characters",  I believe this is what happens......

Creators send unfinished characters or games to beta testers. Unfortunately, sometimes the files get leaked.  Next, the "private works"
are released without the creators permission.  Obviously upset about his or her unfinished work being released, they either rant about the work being private,
discontinue the project, or disappear all together.  In all my years of Mugen, I have seen that type of situation occur at least 6 or 7 times.
#53  September 28, 2016, 10:04:39 pm
Wasn't all that over 10 years ago, has that happened since then ?
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#54  September 28, 2016, 10:17:51 pm
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
Contributing would be like ripping sprites/sounds, writing code, giving feedback/bug reports that's more than "nice char +1."

Now if you gave a review in a video and demonstrated bugs or things you felt could be improved, I would personally consider that "contributing." But if it's just a normal CPU match, the only thing that will contribute is popularity (good or bad), which might be nice (or not), but it doesn't help a creator improve the quality of his/her work.

Personally I consider showcasing videos to be more for the video creator's benefit than the content creator's.  The content creator does not need the video to get exposure (most of the time) but the video creator is getting views because people like to watch the character.  Maybe that's a cynical way to put it but the exception would be if you are a popular personality or have a unique style that isn't just player vs AI.  The content creator doesn't really gain anything as far as I can tell.
#55  September 28, 2016, 10:20:39 pm
  • Don't copy code if you don't understand it.
    • USA
    • a13rown@hotmail.com
Yea,  (10 years ago) it has been a while.  I haven't seen that recently, but when I read the topic that was the first thing I thought about.
#56  September 29, 2016, 06:03:56 am
  • Ore no kobushi ga MAKANI MOERO!
    • USA
    • www.facebook.com/aznpikachu215
Hmm..I remember like around the 2006-2010 era, people were angry that their characters were released, they shut down their sites for a few days. Not sure what that was about, but I do remember that actually happened. I think it was around the Mugenguild, i-xcell, that's all I remember.
#57  September 29, 2016, 06:28:11 am
  • Does this look like the face of mercy?
well, on one hand those were different times when simply requesting a charcater from a certain individual would have them cancel all their projects and remove their existing work. even worst if it was uploaded somewhere, even if it was just some rapidshit link in a request thread because it was easier than sending an email to a bunch of people (though this was mostly for public characters).

now, in the case of private works it was different because it's something that only a handful of people should have (for testing or it was simply something they didn't wanted to share with the public) and if it somehow ended up being released to the public because either one of their "trusted" friends leaked it for whatever reason. or, someone got access to it by hacking a website, email or someone's computer. now that's a huge dick move and the one who got affected has his right to get mad and tell eevryone to go fuck themselves.

now some people would think is no big deal (and even claim it's the auhotrs work fault for keeping it all to himself in the first place) and he should just finish the char and release it to the public since it's already out already. and that is being an incredibly selfish prick and if i have to explain why then please kindly leave this forum and comeback in 10 years or more
#58  September 29, 2016, 06:35:00 am
  • Estoy siempre listo para un desafío.
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
Card sagas wars or whatever that dope mugen was called, wasn't that kept private?
I still hope to this day it gets released but who knows what happened to those guys.
They could of died or something or just had a hd crash and lost it
#59  September 29, 2016, 06:42:19 am
  • Does this look like the face of mercy?
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#60  September 29, 2016, 07:22:31 am
    • USA
Ah yes.... I remember one of the more infamous private characters.... Blaque. I remember people kept flaunting her around in their videos. "I have Blaque and you don't!"

And when she was finally released. I think it was only because XCB was tired of keeping her private.... Or something. I don't remember the exact story of WHY she was finally released. The kinda sad thing is. She was kinda overhyped.