YesNoOk

Creamy Goodness - Version 1.1 (WIP) (Read 13440 times)

Started by Creamy_Goodness, September 01, 2021, 01:58:45 pm
Share this topic:
Creamy Goodness - Version 1.1 (WIP)
#1  September 01, 2021, 01:58:45 pm
    • USA
    • creamyg.jdluke.com/

> Over the past year or so, I’ve been working on a MUGEN character of myself with candy based attacks. I regularly posted progress on that character’s development on this thread...

https://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/creamy-goodness-version-0-1-beta-164728.0.html

----------

> Right now, I’m drawing the sprites for Creamy’s casual outfit, which will be the first of four. So far, I’ve only replaced three of Creamy’s temporary stickman animations with their proper versions...

> Stance

> Walk forward

> Walk backward

> As for palettes, I only have two so far…

> Default

> Khaki

----------

> Right now, I’ve put the Creamy Goodness MUGEN character on a short hiatus so that I can work on other projects. I will post new animations and palettes as I complete them. And as always, I welcome any constructive feedback. :)
= = = = = = = = = =
Jason "Creamy Goodness" Tenn
http://creamyg.jdluke.com/
Re: Creamy Goodness - Version 1.1 (WIP)
#2  January 01, 2022, 01:21:22 am
    • USA
    • creamyg.jdluke.com/

> OK, I've got an end-of-year update for you all. Five more animations have been completed for Creamy...

> Turnaround

> Crouch stance

> Stand to crouch

> Crouch to stand

> Crouch turnaround

= = = = = = = = = =
#3  January 14, 2022, 08:38:16 pm
  • Robotics Engineer
    • USA
    • altoiddealer@gmail.com
Heya, just chiming in to say that I admire you still pushing ahead with your project.

The animations look really good, keep up the good work!

#4  April 17, 2022, 01:53:17 pm
    • USA
    • creamyg.jdluke.com/
@altoiddealer

> Thanks bro, that means a lot to me. It feels good to know that my efforts are being appreciated around here.

----------

> It's been several months since Creamy's last update, due to some trouble I was having with the 3D model's mouth poses, but I've finally finished Block 3 of the updated sprites. Normally, I would have finished spriting all of the basic movements before starting the attacks, but because some of attacks had changed since the final beta version of the character, I decided to break sequence and sprite those attacks before continuing the basic movements. The difference in proportions between the stickman and the updated sprites slightly increases Creamy's attack range, but changing the attacks themselves increases the range even more than that. Here are the four attacks that I've changed...

----------

> Standing quick jab

> Creamy used to use his far hand to do his standing QP standard attack. But now that he uses his near hand instead, the attack range has increased by a whopping 19 pixels.

----------

> Standing hard jab

> This standing HP standard attack replaces the hard elbow smash 1 from the old stickman sprites, and has a range 50 pixels greater than the old elbow smash.

----------

> Quick knee kick

> A low roundhouse kick to the knee that replaces the old stickman's second quick jab from the standing QP short combo.

----------

> Second quick jab

> This jab is now placed in between the initial standing quick jab and the hard hook within the standing QP medium combo. I added this attack because initial jab is now done with the near hard, and I wanted to keep using the hook with the near hard while alternating hands between punches.

----------

> I'm putting this character on another hiatus. When I start working on it again, I will focus on the remaining basic movements, starting with the rest of the crouch animations.
= = = = = = = = = =
Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 08:27:06 am by Creamy_Goodness
#5  April 17, 2022, 03:32:41 pm
  • KFC
  • it's finger licking good
    • USA
The images doesn’t show up.
#6  April 18, 2022, 12:19:41 pm
    • USA
    • creamyg.jdluke.com/

@GreatFunk

"The images doesn’t show up."

> That's strange. I lost access to my main server on Creamy's Wonderland a couple months ago, so I uploaded these new images to my Google Photos account instead. The images are showing up just fine for me, but I'm going to look into the issue and see if I can come up with a fix so that everyone can view them.
= = = = = = = = = =
#7  April 18, 2022, 02:24:32 pm
    • USA
    • creamyg.jdluke.com/

@GreatFunk

> OK, I think I fixed the problem. It turns out that the images were only showing up for me as long as I was logged into my Google account, but disappeared as soon as I logged out. I went back into Google Photos and moved the images form "Photos" to "Archive", and then updated the links on this thread. After I did that, I was able to images on this thread even when logged out of my Google account. I hope that fixed it so that everyone can see the new images now.
= = = = = = = = = =
#8  April 18, 2022, 04:11:32 pm
  • KFC
  • it's finger licking good
    • USA
Still not working, maybe you should use imgur.
#9  April 19, 2022, 08:37:23 am
    • USA
    • creamyg.jdluke.com/

@GreatFunk

> I just uploaded the four images to imgur and changed the links in the thread. Hope it works now.
= = = = = = = = = =
#10  April 21, 2022, 06:48:17 pm
  • Robotics Engineer
    • USA
    • altoiddealer@gmail.com
These look good.

If you are open to feedback on possible improvement... and do note that my one and only character was also 3D rendered...

Currently, they look kind of weak.
This was a nice little animation playlist series I skimmed through on YouTube during development.

Basically, things would be better if they were more animated / exaggerated movements.
-Lack of anticipation (such as, pulling arm back before throwing the punch.  Putting more effort into the kick. etc.)
Even if he just turns back the other way for 1 frame, it makes a very big impact.

-Make his ponytail swing as much as possible, which will add more.

-Sometimes it is a good idea to cut some of the tween frames, and throw in some pixel smearing - you'll have to do this manually with the good ol' pencil tool.

Here's an example

Pixel smearing is pretty easy once you get the hang of it.  I am by no means an expert, but I do know that even when done mediocre, it will pack more punch than static frames.  Note I made the baton look kind of rubbery in some frames, this adds more punch to the attack even if it takes away from the realism.

Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 06:57:39 pm by altoiddealer
#11  April 27, 2022, 09:10:16 pm
    • USA
    • creamyg.jdluke.com/

@altoiddealer

> Thanks for all the tips. I'm already animating the ponytail, although it can be tricky at times to get right. As for the motion blur, I think I'll save that technique for the super attacks if I decide to use it.
= = = = = = = = = =
#12  July 30, 2022, 05:50:40 am
    • USA
    • creamyg.jdluke.com/

> I just finished Block 4 of Creamy's updated sprites. In this block, I sprited the crouch block and crouch hit animations, finishing the rest of the basic crouch animations. This time around, I had a relatively easy time, finishing in just over a month and a half due to there only being 13 sprites to draw between the four animations. Here's what I managed to get done...

----------

> Crouch - Block (Start)

> Crouch - Block (Ready)

> Crouch - Block (Hit)

----------

> Crouch - Hit light (Impact)

> Crouch - Hit light (Recovery)

----------

> Crouch - Hit medium (Impact)

> Crouch - Hit medium (Recovery)

----------

> Crouch - Hit hard (Impact)

> Crouch - Hit hard (Recovery)

----------

> I need to take another break from Creamy in order to focus on other projects I'm working on. When I get to Block 5, I plan on spriting the standing hit animations.
= = = = = = = = = =
Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 07:15:42 am by Creamy_Goodness
#13  December 01, 2022, 02:08:23 pm
    • USA
    • creamyg.jdluke.com/
> Block 5 of Creamy's updated sprites is now completed, and this time around, I drew all six standing hit animations. Each animation consisted of three sprites, totaling 18 sprites for this block.

----------

> Hit high light (Impact)

> Hit high light (Recovery)

----------

> Hit high medium (Impact)

> Hit high medium (Recovery)

----------

> Hit high hard (Impact)

> Hit high hard (Recovery)

----------

> Hit low light (Impact)

> Hit low light (Recovery)

----------

> Hit low medium (Impact)

> Hit low medium (Recovery)

----------

> Hit low hard (Impact)

> Hit low hard (Recovery)

----------

> As a reward for finishing the first five blocks, I have included a brand new palette...

> Monochrome

----------

> I need to take another long break to work on other projects. When I get back to Creamy, my work on Block 6 will focus on some miscellaneous animations.
= = = = = = = = = =
#14  May 24, 2023, 07:58:13 am
    • USA
    • creamyg.jdluke.com/

> Block 6 is now behind me, and this time around, the focus was on some miscellaneous animations. I ended up drawing 23 sprites over the course of four animations.

----------

> Dizzy

> A simple animation of Creamy catching his breath.

----------

> Thrown forward

> Three sprites that are used by the throw victim states of some characters.

----------

> Lose

> The longest animation in the block by far with 14 sprites. This is shown when Creamy loses by Time Over, and is the first basic animation to not be depicted by the stickman.

----------

> Shock

> Creamy's first special animation. This can be seen when Creamy is hit with certain characters' electrical based attacks.

----------

> With Block 6 completed, I will now take another break. During Block 7, I will draw the sprites for the jump animations.
= = = = = = = = = =
#15  August 30, 2023, 11:25:51 am
    • USA
    • creamyg.jdluke.com/

> For Block 7, I've completed the jump animation, which is the animation for the jump neutral, jump forward, and jump backward states. The animation is divided into four parts; jump start, jumps upward, jumps downward, and jump land.

----------

> Jump (Start)

> The jump starts.

----------

> Jumps (Up)

> A single frame animation that is the last sprite of Jump (Start).

----------

> Jumps (Down)

> Creamy reaches the peak of his jump, then begins his descent.

----------

> Jump (Land)

> The landing.

----------

> Now that Block 7 is behind me, I have a major announcement about the future of the Creamy Goodness MUGEN character. I plan to completely change Creamy's moveset from a candy based one to something that is more classic gaming oriented. This change will mostly effect Creamy's specials and supers, but the normal attacks will remain largely unchanged. By the time Block 8 is finished, my plans for Creamy's new moveset will most likely be finalized. Speaking of Block 8, expect to see new sprites for the run forward and hop backward animations.
= = = = = = = = = =
#16  January 20, 2024, 10:49:34 am
    • USA
    • creamyg.jdluke.com/

> Just a quick update. I don't have any new content to post this time around, but I have made a decision that will substantially delay any further progress on the Creamy Goodness MUGEN character. I've decided to switch 3D programs from Animation: Master to 3D Blender. There's a number of reasons for this switch. First, Blender does not require a certain CD be in the optical drive like AM does. Also, Blender is cross platform, allowing me to use it on one of my Linux machines as well as my Windows ones. But most importantly, I'm hoping Blender could make animation easier, especially when it comes to keeping the feet solidly placed on the ground between frames. Of course, it will take a lot of time to learn how to use Blender and then convert the Creamy model to a format that Blender can use. Therefore, I don't expect to get to Block 8 for another few months. However, I have another MUGEN character planned that should take a much shorter time to complete since its sprites are based on pre-existing hand drawn pictures instead of a 3D model. This way, I'll have at least some MUGEN content to post before I start Block 8 of Creamy.
= = = = = = = = = =