YesNoOk

Stages (Read 129958 times)

Started by FeLo_Llop, April 14, 2014, 10:24:38 am
Re: Stages
#21  April 23, 2014, 12:58:21 pm
  • SEIYAA!
    • Sweden
    • artbyjiggeh.tumblr.com
What is the purpose of shared stages? It's absolutely the thing I hate the most about games like Z1 and 3rd Strike.

On an actual production, of course fewer stages means less storage space and less labour is required. In certain games with gigantic rosters it's perfectly understandable that creating a unique stage for each character was not feasible for a number of reasons, but regardless, I have difficulty seeing it as anything other than a pretty major compromise. On a side note, I find that a smaller selection of entirely generic stages is a more satisfying compromise than giving most characters their own stage and then have some characters "borrow" from them, but the point remains - it's a compromise, and the ideal (in my mind anyway) should be that each character have their own stage and their own theme song.

For me this really goes back to SF2. The characters in SF2 were amazing in many ways, but that cast didn't just begin and end with the characters themselves - each of the characters were also defined by their stage and by their background music. Other fighting games have done this to greater and to lesser effect, others have ignored this concept entirely, but personally I feel it's integral to making Street Fighter feel like Street Fighter. Not to say I dislike SF4, for instance, but it absolutely bugs me that the new SF4 characters, for the most part, don't have stages to call their own. I would love to know what Viper's or Abel's stage would look like.

So going back to my original point, what is the purpose? Reduced workload? While I absolutely agree with the idea of starting small, and making baby steps, I think that if the ball really gets rolling, there's really no limit to how big the scope of this project could get. And with that in mind - and considering the relative workload of creating a stage as opposed to creating a character - is it really that infeasible to create a stage for every character? I agree that certain ideas for shared stages absolutely COULD work. A stage like CvS2 London for Eagle and Dudley for instance, sure. But is it better than giving them each their own stage? I don't think so.

Stages could really be made in any order, and I'm definitely not against the idea of having additional, generic stages (like in Z2 for example), but I personally don't like the idea of individual character stages being dismissed so easily.

Just my $0.02. :)

SNT

#22  April 23, 2014, 01:47:06 pm
  • Super Old Bitter Dude
    • Australia
What Jigsaw says.  Why the heck not a stage for each character?  It's something Street Fighter is renowned for, and this is supposed to be the MFG's tribute to Street Fighter.  Feels wrong not to do it.
#23  April 23, 2014, 03:15:59 pm
  • Prince of Latis
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Canada
    • Skype - Whiplash-1
I agree, most of the characters already have their own stages. I don't see why we can't use the stages from SFA3 and edit SF2/3 stages to fit the character not from that game and for stages we like better.
#24  April 23, 2014, 04:06:06 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
That's what I thought we were doing as well. Perhaps we should put this to a poll?

Everyone seemed to be on board for the "Use same stages but take different elements for each character". So in that regard every stage would be unique to each character.

I just go by what the majority wishes to do. Whether it's use similar stages with tweaks or totally different stages is fine with me. My preference is the latter though =p
#25  April 23, 2014, 04:34:21 pm
Everyone seemed to be on board for the "Use same stages but take different elements for each character". So in that regard every stage would be unique to each character.
It's a good thing for characters that share something obvious, like Metro City for the Final Fight guys, it works well by creating a visible connection from the backstory, and it saves the trouble from actually getting different places. Though different locations within Metro City works well too, like the public toilets from SFZ2 I think for Poison and the street for Cody, but it has to be obvious it's still Metro City - like, I dunno, one stage has a view from a different angle on another stage (the MC street shows the entrance to the public toilet and make it visible that it's the same place as the other stage, for example, while the toilet has a view to the outside which is the same street). But that one becomes a lot more work in arrangements and straight ports can't be used since they don't do that.
But it shouldn't be "random dojo #8364" shared for all the practitioners of any style of Karate.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#26  April 23, 2014, 04:36:04 pm
  • Prince of Latis
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Canada
    • Skype - Whiplash-1
I would be really happy if we used Ken's Stage from SFA2, Ryu's Stage from SF2 (during Evening), Austrailian Outback from SFA2 Rose's Stage from SFA3 and Karin's from SFA3 (PSX) those 5 are my favorite SF stages of all time It'd be great to see them.

However, since We aren't working on those characters outside of Ryu at the moment, I think It'd be great to See his SF2 Stage during Evening. Something like this:

http://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/08072013-rehosting-and-bulletproof-sf-remakes-and-customs-138549.0.html
#27  April 23, 2014, 04:41:46 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Well 1st let's see what the community wishes to do. Then we can discuss the stages for the characters being made.

Still think the training stage should have Guild's logo and be MFG themed.
poll added
#28  April 23, 2014, 04:51:37 pm
    • Netherlands
    • network.mugenguild.com/balthazar/index.html
I must say I tend to lean heavily towards character specific stages.
Like Jiggeh said, it just gives way more personality to a character, if they have a stage + music theme specifically for them.
#29  April 23, 2014, 05:22:10 pm
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!
I'd personally go with stage/character. That's why I started that Dhalsim's revamp time ago. Also, thought in redoing Venice's(SFZ2) for Rose(even she's grom Genosha Genoa).

But, some other characters with linked stories(those from Metro City, Retsu-Gouken-Gouki, Guile-Charlie, etc) could use the same with some variations.

There are characters whose stages are AWESOMELY done and they don't need a revamp, IMHO. Some examples (excuse the hyperlinking)

- Alex(SF3: 2nd Impact)
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
- Ken(SF3: 2nd Impact)
- Elena (SF3: 2nd Impact)
- Yang(SF3: 2nd Impact)
- Dan(?!)/ Sakura (CvS Pro):
- Gouken/Retsu (hey! it's similar to retsu's stage from SF1!)--(CvS)
- Normal dictator (CvS)
- Sagat (CvS)(that golden sunny Ayutthaya)

Country Based stages:
- Somewhere at Thailand(CvS):
- Somewhere at Egypt:
I swear there was something cool here!!
#30  April 23, 2014, 06:38:32 pm
  • I must continue my training...

Do your best to become stronger. Become stronger, so you can do your best.

Mugen is a way for me to remain nostalgic with all of the dream matches I cooked up as a kid. It's also what I call a "Digital Action Figure Collection."
MaxBeta link=topic=155656.msg1876950#msg1876950 date=13867
Vegaz_Parrelli...also known as The Lord of the Rings.
[/quote said:
#31  April 24, 2014, 10:18:04 am
    • Netherlands
    • network.mugenguild.com/balthazar/index.html
I have to say, for some reason I really like the men's pub bathroom stage from SFA2 for Birdie :) So hopefully it makes it in here.
#32  April 24, 2014, 12:27:55 pm
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net
I have to say, for some reason I really like the men's pub bathroom stage from SFA2 for Birdie :) So hopefully it makes it in here.

I see it more fitting to the Final Fight cast ;)

Just put a white dog, a couple of punks (J and 2P) and you're done :)
XGargoyle: Battle posing since 1979
http://xgargoyle.mgbr.net
http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=e71c0d43fe35093a  <-- Please click that link
http://paypal.me/XGargoyle  <-- Donations welcome!
#33  April 24, 2014, 01:34:21 pm
  • I must continue my training...

Do your best to become stronger. Become stronger, so you can do your best.

Mugen is a way for me to remain nostalgic with all of the dream matches I cooked up as a kid. It's also what I call a "Digital Action Figure Collection."
MaxBeta link=topic=155656.msg1876950#msg1876950 date=13867
Vegaz_Parrelli...also known as The Lord of the Rings.
[/quote said:
#34  April 24, 2014, 01:56:30 pm
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • UK
Voted for Stage Variations, if I'm phrasing that right.

I have to disagree with Jiggeh - whilst I do like the idea of characters having their own unique stages, that only works if the roster is small/concise enough to warrant such a thing. But considering that the roster for this project is going to end up quite large in the future, there's no way we could be able to pull it off - we'd run out of ideas really fast and strain ourselves trying to make each stage different. As stated before, variant stages like this not only cut down on the workload, but also helps to connect groups of characters related to each other - the oft-mentioned Metro City example springs to mind.

Maybe in the future we could try for unique stages, but right now it's just not feasible. Just my $0.02, whatever they're worth :P
#35  April 24, 2014, 02:42:42 pm
  • Merciless.
    • USA
    • blackdevilscream.com
Voted for unique character-specific stages, but a combined approach is what I see working best. SFA3 is the best example. In the arcade original, Karin had a night variant of Sakura's stage. Juni and Juli (and Balrog, if memory serves) use a slightly altered version of Bison's stage. Then, in subsequent revisions, Karin, Balrog, and the characters that were added in all got new stages. In SFIV, Chun-Li, Blanka, and Seth have what are their stages (China SF2, Jungle, and the lab), while the rest are pretty much shared by all. Volcanic Rim seems like an Akuma stage, but isn't really. The drive-in is pretty much shared by Ken and Rufus. Akuma and Gouken are both fought in the temple. China at night could serve as a Gen stage (see SFA2), but isn't really used as such. SSFIV added a Korea stage that, while not necessarily fitting Juri, is her native land. Metro City is represented and serves both Guy and Cody. Seth got a second stage of his own.

I'd say to strive for character-specific stages across the board eventually, but make some shared stuff where it makes sense for the time being. Ryu and Ken should have their own stages, while Yun and Yang can have variants (if not just the same stage with no changes). Final Fight guys can share a general Metro City stage. Charlie and Guile could probably share. No one should share Vega's cage or Honda's bath house. Stuff like that to lighten the load until later.
#36  April 24, 2014, 02:51:21 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I'm with the each character has it's own stage group for the following reasons.

There are many more stages through SFA1-3, SF2, SF3, CVS1-2, some of the cross overs, etc than there are characters in SF so it shouldn't be difficult to find a specific stage for every character.

On the offhand chance there is not enough for a certain group then we could make edited alterations of the original stages. Like our Metro City friends. How many of them are there? Haggar, Guy, Cody, Maki, Hugo, Poison, (wait... is it just our heroes that share Metro City?)

Rolento and Sodom both have their own stages. Rolento has the skyscraper stage and Sodom has his decked out trucks.
#37  April 24, 2014, 03:01:53 pm
  • Merciless.
    • USA
    • blackdevilscream.com
Haggar - CvS Metro City
Guy - SFA2 Guy
Cody - SFA3 jailbreak
Maki - SFA3 Guy
Hugo - either of his SF3 stages
Poison - SFA2 Birdie stage edited to Bayside as mentioned a few posts back (for the lulz)

Done.
#38  April 24, 2014, 04:04:35 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
That about covers it. Even if the bathroom stage is decided for Birdie there is still another Hugo stage for Poison.

I think Train Cemetery from SFA3 would be better for Birdie so we can add Metro City edits to the bathroom stage for Poison.

I would actually prefer this stage for him though even though it was Bison's in SFA1 (night version was Sodom's)
#39  April 24, 2014, 04:27:42 pm
  • Merciless.
    • USA
    • blackdevilscream.com
SFA3 Birdie stage rules, and he needs it. That SFA1 stage is something I envisioned for someone else.

It's a dead ringer, I'd say. Maybe with some tweaks to make it mesh better with the SFA3 stages?

Likewise for SFA1 Chun-Li stage being used for Lee if he ever makes it in.
#40  April 24, 2014, 04:36:33 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Oh, good call. Yeah that would work well for him! I'm on board for SFA3 Birdie stage then